WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question for the drone owners

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Do you use a drone tracker/locator? I have a DJI 2S on the way and was thinking with the terrain around here (Mountains, trees and brush) if it goes down a tracker might be a good thing. I have found several locators online and was wondering how popular they are. I have read about the Marco Polo unit and think it might be the way to go.

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
I’d be looking into the frequencies used on the tracker and if they would interfere with the drone’s frequencies.

My drone uses Wi-Fi and gps to fly and track etc. and the more Wi-Fi networks around me the worse the range is due to interference.

Not sure what strapping a signal source to the drone would do but that would be my first concern.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
I haven't ever felt I needed it. I figured that if I ever let the drone fly so far and I ignore the return home/low battery warnings that I kind of deserve what I get.

stingray11

Reaction score
I would think it has it's 0wn tracker, pretty sure mine does.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
The ambient frequencies I don't think would be a problem, due to the remote locations. That said, I would also hope the people designing drone trackers thought about interference as well.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
The DJI Fly app has the "find my drone" feature
It's not a tracker on the drone but will show last known location in the flight
6aOgSFbv0VaYfEV6z1j-Vpd6wnEO0togzRJEbe-iDSbZkJwPw7CL9htiJdCDjPca42UgG2cPEdbHW9XXJnK8b8pC-r56c_6iZjSBP0TIHo7LxQ4ZL8j_6saRVxBIYrxQgU44_Cn8

Last edited:

Dog

Reaction score
Dji care covers fly away., water loss, etc. Raletively inexpensive. or insurance companies have inexpensive policies to cover lost, stolen, crashed, etc. Drones. Plus I believe they also cover some damage to others personal property if you go that route.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My mini2 has the tracker/find my drone as well all DJI’s have return to home, but remember that’s the location you launched from not the location you’re at at that moment, think floating down the river 🤦🏼Caught mine was going to land barely in time to take it back over and get it back to the boat.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I’d be looking into the frequencies used on the tracker and if they would interfere with the drone’s frequencies.

My drone uses Wi-Fi and gps to fly and track etc. and the more Wi-Fi networks around me the worse the range is due to interference.

Not sure what strapping a signal source to the drone would do but that would be my first concern.
  • Simple to setup and use, single button-push to begin searching for lost drones with real-time distance and direction feedback
  • Works anywhere, totally self-contained, no GPS or cell network required, no monthly service contracts, ideal for remote areas
  • Rechargeable lithium-ion battery transceiver tag gives you up to 15 days to find your lost model
  • Super small, compact tag transceiver easily fits on even small drones, weighs only .42 oz. (12 g)
  • Does not interfere with your drone’s radios – Marco Polo only transmits when you activate search mode from the handheld locator
  • Great solution for recovering model rockets as well

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
My mini2 has the tracker/find my drone as well all DJI’s have return to home, but remember that’s the location you launched from not the location you’re at at that moment, think floating down the river 🤦🏼Caught mine was going to land barely in time to take it back over and get it back to the boat.
Not sure if the dj but on mine you can set where home is.

When flying over water I always set home as somewhere on land in case things go sideways. May crash but it ain’t in the drink.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
  • Simple to setup and use, single button-push to begin searching for lost drones with real-time distance and direction feedback
  • Works anywhere, totally self-contained, no GPS or cell network required, no monthly service contracts, ideal for remote areas
  • Rechargeable lithium-ion battery transceiver tag gives you up to 15 days to find your lost model
  • Super small, compact tag transceiver easily fits on even small drones, weighs only .42 oz. (12 g)
  • Does not interfere with your drone’s radios – Marco Polo only transmits when you activate search mode from the handheld locator
  • Great solution for recovering model rockets as well
$285? The mavic S is worth more than my mini 2 so I wouldn't consider the marco polo. For $100 more i could get a complete mini 2.
The dji platform is pretty much bullet proof. Unless you don't have a setting right like return to home I don't see you losing the drone.
If you do and the flight log proves dji is at fault they have dji care refresh that protects you for $90
The new Mini 3 pro is killer and a lot less money. No registration either

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
$285? The mavic S is worth more than my mini 2 so I wouldn't consider the marco polo. For $100 more i could get a complete mini 2.
The dji platform is pretty much bullet proof. Unless you don't have a setting right like return to home I don't see you losing the drone.
If you do and the flight log proves dji is at fault they have dji care refresh that protects you for $90
The new Mini 3 pro is killer and a lot less money. No registration either
thanks for the info but I'm getting the 2S for FREE!!!!!!!!! the "go to home" thing is not the issue. My concern is in this area, many hills, mountains and BIG trees it might crash while it is out of my view.

stingray11

Reaction score
thanks for the info but I'm getting the 2S for FREE!!!!!!!!! the "go to home" thing is not the issue. My concern is in this area, many hills, mountains and BIG trees it might crash while it is out of my view.
Your view is through the camera you should never crash unless you don't know how to fly. These things fly really nice there's no reason to crash. As soon as the signal starts getting weak it warns you so you just go up or away from over the hill or over around the tree. I have a Maverick Mini and it's out of sight almost after launching so I have to fly it via camera through my phone screen just like a military drone.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
The 2S has obstacle avoidance unless you disable that feature
And not to be the drone police but "technically" you're supposed to fly VLS, visual line of sight
If you do crash you might not want to find it anyway
My son had his 2S here a couple of months ago. I have a weather station on a pole on my roof. The 2S crashed right into the pole, killed two props and busted the wind vein on the weather station. The avoidance was "on" and didn't impress me that day. He will be here tomorrow with his 2S, we are going to "test" the obstacle avoidance while he is here. Maybe the avoidance didn't see the station pole, it's 1" dia aluminum but the weather station should have been visible. That day his controller was acting strange also, kept loosing the signal while the drone was within 100' from us. He has the "smart" controller and I have read that is an issue. I want to fly low in between the trees looking for shed antlers. That's why I'm nervous about crashing.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
It's not the 2S..........the drone got here this weekend and its a DJI Mavic Air 2, Can anyone give me the cliff notes story on this? It came with the smart controller.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I was flying my Mavic Mini in Colorado in high elevation. For some reason it was slowly descending and I couldn't keep it up in the air as it was in RTH mode, I hit record and I was able to view the footage where in went down. I'm really surprised I haven't lost the thing. I now have a Mini 2 and love it.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
The 2S has a little better camera and video capabilities but to be honest if this is your first drone you will never notice
That smart controller is badazz. I had a Yuneec with a built in monitor and it was nice not to have to plug in your phone or tablet but it is big to carry around
so far so good but the customer service at DJI is impossible to deal with. Trying to get the drone into my name.........first customer service person was impossible to understand (very heavy accent) second one wasn't interested in helping, I answered my own questions while he was busy being bored.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
The DJI Fly app has the "find my drone" feature
It's not a tracker on the drone but will show last known location in the flight
6aOgSFbv0VaYfEV6z1j-Vpd6wnEO0togzRJEbe-iDSbZkJwPw7CL9htiJdCDjPca42UgG2cPEdbHW9XXJnK8b8pC-r56c_6iZjSBP0TIHo7LxQ4ZL8j_6saRVxBIYrxQgU44_Cn8
I finally found the "find my drone". The one thing that makes me want to use the after market locator is it is not dependent on the drone battery.

Boat 405

Reaction score
I know that when my DJ Mavic air 2 runs low on battery it automatically returns to home at a certain point.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I know that when my DJ Mavic air 2 runs low on battery it automatically returns to home at a certain point.
but if you crash in the trees ........

which controller do you have?

instagator

Reaction score
I haven't ever felt I needed it. I figured that if I ever let the drone fly so far and I ignore the return home/low battery warnings that I kind of deserve what I get.
Also the DJI will come back on its own when it loses signal or the batt gets low,