WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I want to get my 13 y/o a 17' Whaler

Tank

Reaction score
Over the next year or so. He's been fishing a lot lately. Takes his brother and his friends out on a buddies little rib. Runs a boat like a BOSS. Even the Cig (though, working on him walking it around the docks with the twin power, little intimidating). Always loved Whalers since I was a kid. Be cool to keep one at a dock in the harbor that we could take for harbor cruises, or go out to the islands fishing or to dinner on year round. I like my boys growing up around boats, boating, water, sea life in their blood. I grew up running a small skif around the harbor after my dad bought one for me at 12. A LOT of good times. Spent a lot of times on friends whalers growing up. There's just nothing like that foam core tri-hull. The way it rides, the way it sounds slapping the water. Takes me right back.

GREAT boats.

The one in this ad is clean. But just like everything else. Prices are stupid right now. See what it's like over the winter. This same boat was probably 6-8k three years ago.

boston-whaler-17-montauk-14995-americanlisted_36613575.jpg
boston-whaler-17-montauk-1606460.jpg

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score
That’s not a bad deal all things considered. I turned down a 19 outrage in 2019 for 10ish. Had a 150 on it but needed a little cosmetic work.

nameisbond

Reaction score
My brother's best friend had a Whaler like pictured when he was around 12. We grew up on a beach here. So most of us kids on the beach had some type of boat. My Dad had a 22 Whaler Outrage with cuddy and twin 150's. Great boats but pricey these days.

Tank

Reaction score
That’s not a bad deal all things considered. I turned down a 19 outrage in 2019 for 10ish. Had a 150 on it but needed a little cosmetic work.
Yeah, 12 isn't horrible. It looks crazy clean in the pics. And he's right, those Yami's go FOREVER. AND it's already bottom painted. Which is a plus since I'll keep it slipped.

But I just cringe a little. Dude down the street had a 17' mid 60's whaler with an old Johnson (orginal) on it. Was in his garage for like 25 years. I see him pulling it out one day about 4 years ago. I'm like, "I should see if he wants to sell that thing." Then I immediately talked myself out of it thinking he'd probably want at least 3k and it needs TLC. Next day, see my next door neighbors kid (he's like 30) Hooking up to it. I stop, "you buy it?". He says, "yeah, just now. He wanted a grand but I gave him 500 bucks!"

DOH!!!!

He slapped a Honda 90 on it for 10k, redid the wood and repainted the awlgrip blue interior hull. Runs that shit to the islands to surf and free dive all the time.

I'm confident things are going to cool down by the end of the year though. I'll wait for a smokin' deal. In no hurry.

hallett21

Reaction score
Yeah, 12 isn't horrible. It looks crazy clean in the pics. And he's right, those Yami's go FOREVER. AND it's already bottom painted. Which is a plus since I'll keep it slipped.

But I just cringe a little. Dude down the street had a 17' mid 60's whaler with an old Johnson (orginal) on it. Was in his garage for like 25 years. I see him pulling it out one day about 4 years ago. I'm like, "I should see if he wants to sell that thing." Then I immediately talked myself out of it thinking he'd probably want at least 3k and it needs TLC. Next day, see my next door neighbors kid (he's like 30) Hooking up to it. I stop, "you buy it?". He says, "yeah, just now. He wanted a grand but I gave him 500 bucks!"

DOH!!!!

He slapped a Honda 90 on it for 10k, redid the wood and repainted the awlgrip blue interior hull. Runs that shit to the islands to surf and free dive all the time.

I'm confident things are going to cool down by the end of the year though. I'll wait for a smokin' deal. In no hurry.
So it ended up being a 25k boat 🤣😉.

I hear what you’re saying. I think if you have the means to buy something quality today you should. After a year or two you’re not going to care what kind of “deal” you could have got.

A running whaler with your kids is worth 10x what the 5-8k in savings you could have got. Not to mention that great deal might still cost you 5-15k in repairs.

poncho

Reaction score
When I was a Kid watching Flipper I was blown away that those guy's could run around in a boat with no adults, I sat in awe staring at the screen. That would have easily been my greatest memory.

FishSniper

Reaction score
Over the next year or so. He's been fishing a lot lately. Takes his brother and his friends out on a buddies little rib. Runs a boat like a BOSS. Even the Cig (though, working on him walking it around the docks with the twin power, little intimidating). Always loved Whalers since I was a kid. Be cool to keep one at a dock in the harbor that we could take for harbor cruises, or go out to the islands fishing or to dinner on year round. I like my boys growing up around boats, boating, water, sea life in their blood. I grew up running a small skif around the harbor after my dad bought one for me at 12. A LOT of good times. Spent a lot of times on friends whalers growing up. There's just nothing like that foam core tri-hull. The way it rides, the way it sounds slapping the water. Takes me right back.

GREAT boats.

The one in this ad is clean. But just like everything else. Prices are stupid right now. See what it's like over the winter. This same boat was probably 6-8k three years ago.

View attachment 1142742 View attachment 1142743
I have had my eye on a whaler that is in a slip near the outer harbor at the springs for awhile as a fishing/ bs around boat for havasu. Great boats.

Tank

Reaction score
So it ended up being a 25k boat 🤣😉.

I hear what you’re saying. I think if you have the means to buy something quality today you should. After a year or two you’re not going to care what kind of “deal” you could have got.

A running whaler with your kids is worth 10x what the 5-8k in savings you could have got. Not to mention that great deal might still cost you 5-15k in repairs.
He got the factory flawed (dent on it I believe) mounted and rigged, brand new, zero hours for 11500. Ad the 500 for purchase, gallon of awlgrip, quart of varnish and a new bildge pump. All in under 12,500.

You're right though, and I agree about the do it now. That's the plan. Just waiting for the right deal to come along. That's usually how I buy (and sell) everything. Gut tells me its right. Never let me down yet.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Does it have to be a whaler. First boat . Young kid and all.

Just thinking out loud is all.

Tank

Reaction score
Does it have to be a whaler. First boat . Young kid and all.

Just thinking out loud is all.

I have a soft spot for whalers. Like I said grew up running around the ocean on them and if I get one I could use it to go to dinner and harbor cruises and go to the islands and the boys can grow into it and use it for years and years even into adulthood. I’ve thought about picking up something else, but might as well get what I really want since it’s not a huge amount of money.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for whalers. Like I said grew up running around the ocean on them and if I get one I could use it to go to dinner and harbor cruises and go to the islands and the boys can grow into it and use it for years and years even into adulthood. I’ve thought about picking up something else, but might as well get what I really want since it’s not a huge amount of money.
Totally get it. I grew up on something similar to to the link. Loved sleeping in the boat etc. happy hunting. 👍👍🍷🥃

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Agreed, Whalers are top of class and great idea for your plans around harbor and kids heading out for near shore fishing. I've got a buddy [also in no hurry] down here been looking in the Whaler [or other] 22-25' size and man of man are they pricey. He's waiting it out...

RandyH

Huge Member
Reaction score
So for the Ocean and Fishing what do you think is best ? Montauk or Dauntless. I dont know the answer but would love to hear opinions? thanks.

DC-88

Reaction score
It's no different than buying a used crf50. Whenever you are done with it, most of the money will come back . Kids can learn so much from being responsible for their own stuff. We had some great times in Jr high on whalers going to mar meadows, oil platforms, even doing copycat tow ins at Mandalay from a little one like the first ones Buzzy Kerbox did . All totally unsupervised which made great memories.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
So for the Ocean and Fishing what do you think is best ? Montauk or Dauntless. I dont know the answer but would love to hear opinions? thanks.
Dauntless is a little more finished, more seating (which I like) built in fuel tank instead of external but they command more cash and harder to find in smaller sizes (17/18) Plus, I like the simple utilitarian aspect of the Montauk. Especially for kid use to fish and mess around - Less blingy.

I don’t think there’s much of a difference in overall ride though.

Taboma

Reaction score
Dauntless is a little more finished, more seating (which I like) built in fuel tank instead of external but they command more cash and harder to find in smaller sizes (17/18) Plus, I like the simple utilitarian aspect of the Montauk. Especially for kid use to fish and mess around - Less blingy.

I don’t think there’s much of a difference in overall ride though.
In California isn't it still 16 years old and a Ca boaters card if it's over 15hp ? Or nobody cares where you're at ?
I can't begin to recall the age requirements back in the 50's growing up summers at Lake Arrowhead. But seems at 10 yrs old we were limited to 7.5hp. So we customized a Johnson 10hp with 7.5hp badging and ran that on our 12' Arkansas Traveler aluminum flatbottom prow. 😂
Later I fixed up a wood Thompson, then by 16 bought a 16' Mercury Sabre inboard. ( Bill Nollenberger, not Mercury Marine).
The BW will be a really cool boat for their purpose, towed 17' around the Bahamas in 68' for diving and fishing.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Added plus Tankster.... if they get a wild hair they can tie up at Avalon dock at that size lol!

Tank

Reaction score
In California isn't it still 16 years old and a Ca boaters card if it's over 15hp ? Or nobody cares where you're at ?
I can't begin to recall the age requirements back in the 50's growing up summers at Lake Arrowhead. But seems at 10 yrs old we were limited to 7.5hp. So we customized a Johnson 10hp with 7.5hp badging and ran that on our 12' Arkansas Traveler aluminum flatbottom prow. 😂
Later I fixed up a wood Thompson, then by 16 bought a 16' Mercury Sabre inboard. ( Bill Nollenberger, not Mercury Marine).
The BW will be a really cool boat for their purpose, towed 17' around the Bahamas in 68' for diving and fishing.
I do believe it's 16 but if they're not doing something stupid, it's overlooked around here.

Added plus Tankster.... if they get a wild hair they can tie up at Avalon dock at that size lol!
HA! Won't be making a catalina run from CI to Avalon!

Taboma

Reaction score
I do believe it's 16 but if they're not doing something stupid, it's overlooked around here.

I'd imagine if they did get questioned, having a boaters safety card might make a worthwhile impression, assuming they can apply, study and obtain one, I don't know how that works.

Hoodoo

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for one for a while now, something small/simple to kick around. Whalers are expensive here but there’s lots of other stuff that’s works.

Attachments

• C0DEC31B-4492-4544-91B9-1243DBB56843.jpeg
    C0DEC31B-4492-4544-91B9-1243DBB56843.jpeg
    724.1 KB · Views: 19

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
We use Ribs and 9.9's is it. I don't want someone shoving dinghy's apart at the dinghy dock with 50 hp anything.

I fully support an owner's kid though, fully aware and full of knowledge. We looked into a whaler and just couldn't get past sentence one.

A 14 year old with more than 15 hp is subject to citation but I would go larger and chance the cite because those two years will smoke by. Nobody's saying a thing out by those islands anyway.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

yeah I guess you're right, I always forget your distance from up there. But c'mon now.... you know it'll come up for consideration right around 16. Lucky you've got your islands closer to keep em occupied.

Tank

Reaction score
Funny thing is. Our boys were out on my friends rib yesterday and went over to get gas. Coast guard pulled up right next to them at the docks. Fuckin gas dock rat said to the harbor patrol out of no where, “you know those boys are under age right?”

Coasties said, “yeah, ok” and didn’t do shit. Lol. Didn’t even talk to the boys except to say hello at the pump. 😂😂

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Funny thing is. Our boys were out on my friends rib yesterday and went over to get gas. Coast guard pulled up right next to them at the docks. Fuckin gas dock rat said to the harbor patrol out of no where, “you know those boys are under age right?”

Coasties said, “yeah, ok” and didn’t do shit. Lol. Didn’t even talk to the boys except to say hello at the pump. 😂😂
Coolio..."gas dock rat".... gotta watch out for those summer help types.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Just for reference . . . I had a buddy w/ a 16 foot dauntless with a carb'd 100 4-stroke yamaha.
I NEVER get seasick, except on that boat . . . I think it was because it was heavy, deep, and short . . . so it acted like a buoy while at rest.
I had another buddy say the exact same thing after going with him.
It rode nice for it's size (didn't pound), but it was like standing on top of one of those loosy-goosy docks.
The Montauk doesn't ride as nice, but it's way more stable at rest.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Whats the consensus [general opinions] on the Avons? 15 yrs ago I knew a guy with a 19' red colored one with a 75 4 stroke outboard. We'd go out across together to 2 Harbors and I gotta say that hull looked like it was cutting a pretty smooth ride. It had a center mounted helm and what looked like a motorcycle seat configuration he and gal would ride on. I gotta say I was impressed.... he'd ride to island at midnights on occasion by moon. Little on wild side but not a risk taker in general.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Avon’s are great boats. But..... be sure the tube is in good shape. They can be VERY expensive to replace. If it is sun damaged, or has a lot of patches, be sure to price a replace before buying.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Yea. Just comes down to maintenance. Keeping them covered when not in use goes a long way. I’ve had years of experience using both Avon and Zodiacs. Repaired more tubes than I could ever recall.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yea. Just comes down to maintenance. Keeping them covered when not in use goes a long way. I’ve had years of experience using both Avon and Zodiacs. Repaired more tubes than I could ever recall.
Good points fellas.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Nice 15ft popped up on CL OC today.

Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
Nice 15ft popped up on CL OC today.
The one I posted on the first post SOLD. not surprised. It was a pretty good deal and very clean.

Im waiting fir that fire sale. 😉👍

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I know you want a Boston Whaler…….

Take a look at a Caracal Cat 180. This boat is know for being a great riding 18’ ft boat. I’ve seen them for 15k. It’s a CC. There’s a guy who takes his from Fort Lauderdale to Bimini all the time.

Here in SoFlo, you see a lot of kids with boats. It’s no big deal. Some of the kids are excellent boaters too! Well taught. Lots of skills. You can tell their parents did a good job teaching them to be self sufficient.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Key west boats has some decent 14, 15 and 17' models. Get one out of the south for cheap

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
There’s a little one down the street in that storage area that needs some ❤️?

Yoshiro

Reaction score
When I was a kid we were on Puget Sound in Seattle and I had a 15' Whaler with a 70hp Merc. What a great boat. Didn't burn too much fuel, handled the water conditions well, easy to handle.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I grew up with a 13' Whaler. My uncle was the dealer in Newport. 1968 I was 8 years old, and I still remember taking delivery with my dad. New boat with a 20HP Johnson was $ 575.00 .

Tank

Reaction score
There’s a little one down the street in that storage area that needs some ❤️?
There’s a 15 ish down the street from me in storage that needs some love too. But I don’t want the sit down console (rare to get a. 15 with stand up CC as Freeboard is a little lower on the 15’s). I’d prefer the actual center console for better fishing. Move about the boat easier and what not. The 15’s were built as tenders and harbor cruisers not really an island hopper / fisher. A 13 or 15 would actually be great for the boys right now but I want them to have something they can grow into.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I grew up living on the water on the east coast and had a 13' whaler with a 25 hp on it, got it at 12, I paid as much as I could towards it with my paper route money. Dad wanted me in a whaler due to their safety record. At 14 he upgraded me to a 40 hp. Me and my buddies went everywhere in that thing. Dad gave me a handheld ship to shore radio to calm moms nerves if we got into an issue, we had a base station in the house. Skiing, fishing, snorkeling, and the occasional trip out into the ocean to jump the big boat wakes, mom and dad never knew that part, we were not supposed to go outside the breakwater. We launched the fuck out of that thing and it never missed a beat, bulletproof boats.