WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desert Storm Sold

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Desert Storm—the country’s largest and most anticipated powerboating event on the West Coast—has been sold by Jimmy and Christina Nichols of Storm Poker Runs to Lake Havasu City, AZ entrepreneurs Steve Ticknor and Jim Russell.
dssold.jpg

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Steve and his crew have been my realtors in the past, good peeps.

69hondo

Reaction score
Be nice if there was actually info on this; an article, an interview, a follow-up...ANYTHING. Kind've big news.
LOL right! I was thinking the same thing.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Be nice if there was actually info on this; an article, an interview, a follow-up...ANYTHING. Kind've big news.
go check speedboat mag.... and I confirmed through Jim Russel

Singleton

Reaction score
Speedboat FB posts articles day of, boat show videos day of.
Article was published 7 hours ago on this item, yet nothing on RDP :(
Hate to say it, but when larger boating events are occurring I go to that FB site and get updates.
I know RD has something cooking with Super Cat West, so hopefully I will read that update on this site first

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Curious what did something like this sell for? I have zero clue.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
I'm curious if its a franchise deal, that would be cool because you can have events all year round such as NASCAR and NHRA...

azsunfun

Reaction score
If rumors true of city charging for all street closures, public safety increased for street fair, off duty cops cost big bucks. Hope it works out.

Reactions: DWC

farmo83

Reaction score
Curious what did something like this sell for? I have zero clue.

I'm sure RD can provide insight.

What assets do you get ?

The brand
Some timing equipment
Some advertising stuff

I wouldn't think it's very much.

sirbob

Reaction score

What assets do you get ?

The brand
Some timing equipment
Some advertising stuff

I would think the value is in “in kind” inherent value - Not necessarily capital assets.

Reactions: DWC

Singleton

Reaction score
I would think the value is in “in kind” inherent value - Not necessarily capital assets.

What assets do you get ?

The brand
Some timing equipment
Some advertising stuff

No one knows how much salary they were pulling. The Lake Powell Run in 1 year gave more to charity then DS did in 10.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
DS got boring. It went from something we looked forward to (as spectators at least) to something like blink and you miss it.

Street party on Thursday was always cool and always fun on McCulloch but that was about it.

I sure hope they bring the fun back and the participation goes back up. I also hope they work with other events happening before and after rather than giving them the finger, those synergies are priceless.

Hammer

Reaction score
I don’t think the new regime is going to make it with the same festivities and not changing anything. Jim Russell seems like he has quite the resume.

SCFW is the future IMO. It was a sample taste of what can be done in Havasu. I’m looking forward to it in ‘23.

I’d also wager that DS is not the countries largest and most anticipated event. Lol.

Curious what or who, Anderson Powersports is and what is “Summer on the Lake 2023” . It would be great to know more information.

All I can say is good luck and I wish them the best. I hope they improve DS give the opportunity.

Last edited:

JFMFG

Reaction score
I don’t think the new regime is going to make it with the same festivities and not changing anything. Jim Russell seems like he has quite the resume.

SCFW is the future IMO. It was a sample taste of what can be done in Havasu. I’m looking forward to it in ‘23.

I’d also wager they DS is not the countries largest and most anticipated event. Lol.

Curious what or who, Anderson Powersports is and what is “Summer on the Lake 2023” . It would be great to know more information.

All I can say is good luck and I wish them the best. I hope they improve DS give the opportunity.
I’d forsure say it is the west coasts biggest powerboat event? Countries I say no. I’d say LOTO is. I hope they have livestream for us to watch of the shootout or record while we are on the water.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
It’s got to be a good thing .
Last few years was getting less exciting.

Hammer

Reaction score
I’d forsure say it is the west coasts biggest powerboat event? Countries I say no. I’d say LOTO is. I hope they have livestream for us to watch of the shootout or record while we are on the water.
The shootout is less to be desired and going to be boring on a live stream. It's nowhere near what LOTO IS.

I'd love to see DS become the Mecca of events on the water... the entire program needs to be scrapped and revamped. Obviously a few things should stay. But it needs a major overhaul.

Singleton

Reaction score

I’d also wager they DS is not the countries largest and most anticipated event. Lol.

Attachments

• A0A37C18-5D23-47FA-A3C0-6C9FA6A4CED9.png
    A0A37C18-5D23-47FA-A3C0-6C9FA6A4CED9.png
    1 MB · Views: 125

Hammer

Reaction score
Thanks Singleton, now we need to know what "Summer on the Lake" is...

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I don't believe Jim Russell is a positive for any event. His time has past.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
The shootout is less to be desired and going to be boring on a live stream. It's nowhere near what LOTO IS.

I'd love to see DS become the Mecca of events on the water... the entire program needs to be scrapped and revamped. Obviously a few things should stay. But it needs a major overhaul.
The Shootout needs to be moved back to where it's easily viewed from land with announcer so everyone knows wtf is going on/ results & oh, add the circle boat racing event again. More open armed public admittance so they don't feel outclassed by the ballers....like maybe local vender stalls at each event location. Idk, just thinking outloud.
To me personally, a lot of it the last few years has felt very cliquey.

Hammer

Reaction score
The Shootout needs to be moved back to where it's easily viewed from land with announcer so everyone knows wtf is going on/ results & oh, add the circle boat racing event again. More open armed public admittance so they don't feel outclassed by the ballers....like maybe local vender stalls at each event location. Idk, just thinking outloud.
To me personally, a lot of it the last few years has felt very cliquey.
Agreed Zig… There is a middle ground somewhere that could make it great again. No pun intended.