WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desert Storm Sold

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This is good news.
Just wish the largest boating social site had an article about it

Christina sold it quietly.. honestly didn’t even look at other buyers to my knowledge, I know I didn’t get a phone call.

I have known about it for a few weeks now, but didn’t want to say anything or potentially upset the sale.

Anyhow what happens next will be very interesting.

Reactions: DWC

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Jim Russell's past promotions as Desert Steel Motorsports have been less than expected. He was given the Parker Enduro and pretty much killed it off in one or two seasons. Havasu Happenings died under his leadership etc. Just my personal feeling after twenty five years of participation in many of his events.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Desert Storm - can be improved. Just a live stream for the Shoot Out, with pre and post run info seems do-able. Jim Nichols created a great event, Hope it can continue to improve.

530RL

Reaction score
Does this event make money? What’s the value to a buyer?

I’ve been on the committee that runs a vintage car event for 30 years and we make money for charity but I’m not sure our participants would show up and pay if the money was going into the organizers pockets?

These events rely upon a lot of volunteer labor that spends time and money out of pocket and I wonder why some would volunteer their time and out of pocket expenses if the money was going into the organizers pockets as opposed to charity?

Beats me but I don’t understand the profit model to the organizer? Maybe it is for charity out of benevolence?

JFMFG

Reaction score
The Shootout needs to be moved back to where it's easily viewed from land with announcer so everyone knows wtf is going on/ results & oh, add the circle boat racing event again. More open armed public admittance so they don't feel outclassed by the ballers....like maybe local vender stalls at each event location. Idk, just thinking outloud.
To me personally, a lot of it the last few years has felt very cliquey.
100% agree.

Singleton

Reaction score
RDP regatta put up 50+ thousand this year to the charity..

That was a small event. Kinda makes ya think.
I truly believe if you have a good cause you are trying to raise money for, folks open the checkbook.
Your team had a great cause for which money was being raised for, and it showed in the donations!

I just hope the event stays. The street party does some good for Havasu business on Main Street.
Between the boat show, DS and Cat Fest West - April is going to be busy!

Joe mama

Reaction score
I can see it coming, pay for wrist band to enter street party.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
They Need to make the poker run more engaging for the average boater.

Sure, we all love watching the first boat to the first card stop deal, but that's maybe 10min of fun?

Make participating in the poker run the Main event! Generate more participation and fun around that.

After all...

Isn't that what Desert Storm is supposed to be all about??

🤷‍♂️

Just my 2cents. 😊

Jim

Reaction score
I'd ask Stu from Florida Powerboats club. That guy knows how to run an Event !
I'm coming either way.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
The street party was the best part of the weekend.

The poker run isn’t the same as it used to be and the shootout is kind of a joke.

Perhaps do the shoot out where you can watch it from the shore and then set up a boat/car show with a ton of vendor booths entertainment and food trucks. Have a jumbo tron set up so people can watch the action in bag chairs while hanging out and switch to music later in the day.

I’m not a poker run guy I don’t understand the appeal. I have done it and it’s just a pita and cost money for a shitty boating day.🤪

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
These events rely upon a lot of volunteer labor that spends time and money out of pocket and I wonder why some would volunteer their time and out of pocket expenses if the money was going into the organizers pockets as opposed to charity?
Without a massive amount of volunteers, there would be no King of the Hammers. I'm not sure how they manage them now, but in the early days, we had a good thing going for our volunteers.

Here are some things we did that could be copied.
  • The raffle was only for volunteers. Any company that wanted to exchange products for sponsorship was directed to participate in the volunteer event. We built around that. This strategy protected the value of our event sponsorship by giving companies that wanted to trade products a place.
  • We had a special dinner for volunteers; the racers spent time with them separate from the public and thanked them.
  • We paid a stipend to our volunteer leadership.
  • We had specific T-shirts exclusive to volunteers; they had good designs, not just a Large Black Font.
  • We set aside a reserved camping area for them and gave them hookups and security. We paid to provide water and sewer pumping.
  • We reminded participants not to give the volunteers crap. If we saw that happening, we were not kind to the people.
  • Volunteer wristbands got you full access to everything. When they were not working, they got the best entertainment.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

The poker run isn’t the same as it used to be and the shootout is kind of a joke.

Perhaps do the shoot out where you can watch it from the shore and then set up a boat/car show with a ton of vendor booths entertainment and food trucks. Have a jumbo tron set up so people can watch the action in bag chairs while hanging out and switch to music later in the day.

I’m not a poker run guy I don’t understand the appeal. I have done it and it’s just a pita and cost money for a shitty boating day.🤪

I've heard this Exact same sentiment from Everyone who has done it...

It's shouldn't be a shitty day of boating, it Should be the best part of the event!!!

Great suggestions CT. 👍🏼

Singleton

Reaction score
I've heard this Exact same sentiment from Everyone who has done it...

It's shouldn't be a shitty day of boating, it Should be the best part of the event!!!

Great suggestions CT. 👍🏼

The risk with that location is wakes from north bound boats. You can’t limit all the boat traffics like they can where it has been the last few years.

svlperry

Reaction score
Without a massive amount of volunteers, there would be no King of the Hammers. I'm not sure how they manage them now, but in the early days, we had a good thing going for our volunteers.

Here are some things we did that could be copied.
  • The raffle was only for volunteers. Any company that wanted to exchange products for sponsorship was directed to participate in the volunteer event. We built around that. This strategy protected the value of our event sponsorship by giving companies that wanted to trade products a place.
  • We had a special dinner for volunteers; the racers spent time with them separate from the public and thanked them.
  • We paid a stipend to our volunteer leadership.
  • We had specific T-shirts exclusive to volunteers; they had good designs, not just a Large Black Font.
  • We set aside a reserved camping area for them and gave them hookups and security. We paid to provide water and sewer pumping.
  • We reminded participants not to give the volunteers crap. If we saw that happening, we were not kind to the people.
  • Volunteer wristbands got you full access to everything. When they were not working, they got the best entertainment.
I volunteered this year and had a blast

schweeng

Reaction score
Ok..so it is sold... at the end of the day what did Jimmy pocket as profit for the April poker run? Not questioning the sale of the "poker run" but each poker run... did they make 50k each year? 100k? Nothing was free except the many voluntares..... love to have seen the books on this.

Singleton

Reaction score
Ok..so it is sold... at the end of the day what did Jimmy pocket as profit for the April poker run? Not questioning the sale of the "poker run" but each poker run... did they make 50k each year? 100k? Nothing was free except the many voluntares..... love to have seen the books on this.

That was never made public.
I understand taking some $$ to compensate for time away from your real job, BUT IMO that should not be more than the charity donation made.

They included the poker hand $$ donated back to charity in the 2021 total. 1st and 2nd place poker run winners donated their winnings back to be charities.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
I have been to Desert Storm a few times and was never impressed. Overall a boring event with the exception of the street party. The boats presented are so out of league for most spectators that no one can relate, it is more of who cares, great you have FU money! Events such as KOH are successful because they can relate to all classes of enthusiasts. When you attend an event such as KOH you can almost convince yourself to enter the race since they offer racing from beginners to pros. For Desert Storm the only way to participate in the event is to have old money or start a ponzi scheme, very out of touch for the common guy.

Havasu Rehab

Reaction score

Your idea regarding the shootout is fantastic. Making it more of a spectator festival is a great way to generate additional income. Even if they charged, I would gladly pay a cover to experience something like that.

For the most part we all agree the street fair is the best part, so why not cater more towards the on-land aspect for the “normal” boaters.

Singleton

Reaction score
I have been to Desert Storm a few times and was never impressed. Overall a boring event with the exception of the street party. The boats presented are so out of league for most spectators that no one can relate, it is more of who cares, great you have FU money! Events such as KOH are successful because they can relate to all classes of enthusiasts. When you attend an event such as KOH you can almost convince yourself to enter the race since they offer racing from beginners to pros. For Desert Storm the only way to participate in the event is to have old money or start a ponzi scheme, very out of touch for the common guy.

My broke ass participated in DS for many years. The end was due to missing the heli shots. I only go 65mph and ran out of time and missed those based on the card spots they wanted slower boats to run. Then got into a disagreement with Christina about a few items (some related to my daughter).

schweeng

Reaction score
My understanding on the charity donation is that it comes from buying into the poker run..... a portion or percentage of that is donated.....
so what is done with the tens of thousandes of dollars collected for street fair displays, vendors.....etc. ANYONE on that street is paying or has a bro deal somewhere else. I think Interceptor boats paid Jimmy team over 4k to display 2 boats... safe to say they collected over 100k that night.... does that get earmarked to charity? The rest of the weekend is like this as well for vendors.... seems like a cash cow that weekend.

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
I’ve don’t the monster bash, when it was, also have done the big cat poker run in the delta which I thought I was going to feel out of place, but not at all. Always have wanted too go to desert storm, just to watch. but it’s def more of a money contest. Now you all have convinced me it’s not worth going lol.

JFMFG

Reaction score
I’ve don’t the monster bash, when it was, also have done the big cat poker run in the delta which I thought I was going to feel out of place, but not at all. Always have wanted too go to desert storm, just to watch. but it’s def more of a money contest. Now you all have convinced me it’s not worth going lol.
100% money contest and who has the biggest dick. There is quite a few that my hat goes off to that run their shit hard.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

It's a social event based around the street fair for me. It's always good seeing friends and it's the some of the best weather in the desert!

Fuck that place in the summer. 😜

DWC

Reaction score
I’m guessing they didn’t sell it because they were making a killing on the event.. They got destroyed for trying to raise prices to account for the rising costs of doing business. Can’t imagine if they tacked on another $100 for charity.
I appreciate everything the family did to put on a a good event and build it into what it was.
We’ll see what the new owners are able to do with it. I’m sure there will be plenty of advice for them. along the way😉

Good Stuff

Reaction score
The risk with that location is wakes from north bound boats. You can’t limit all the boat traffics like they can where it has been the last few years.
Why not? If they close off the current course to make it a no wake zone and the only other option is no wake through Thompson bay and the whole channel. Why couldn’t it be held in Thompson bay and no wake from the Water Safety Center to the Islander? That’s about 1&1/2 miles. 🤷🏽‍♂️ I’ve never seen it the old way except in videos so I don’t know what the layout was.

I figured the concern that moved it was wind blowing north up the lake and wrecking Thompson Bay.

rrrr

Reaction score
They Need to make the poker run more engaging for the average boater.

Sure, we all love watching the first boat to the first card stop deal, but that's maybe 10min of fun?

Make participating in the poker run the Main event! Generate more participation and fun around that.

After all...

Isn't that what Desert Storm is supposed to be all about??

🤷‍♂️

Just my 2cents. 😊

I heard a rumor the focus of the event is going to revolve around a pontoon street party, a pontoon shootout, and a pontoon card run.

RD is selling his toon so he can apply the funds toward a new 34' tritoon with four V-12 Merc 600s hung off the back. The unnamed manufacturer isn't releasing any details, but a source that refused to be identified because he wasn't authorized to speak out has said the new toon is expected to run at speeds "approaching 72 MPH."

This is huge.

Last edited:

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Wind protection is better where it is now-from site 6 to just past the islander.
That’s why the shootout is fucking dumb. Oh no there is a ripple I can’t run hard now. Meanwhile the offshore guys go wow that looks like glass I wish key west race was like that lol

Also go back to 1 mike. Fuck the supposed safety reason. Running 187 in 1/2 mile is just as dangerous as 200. It’s all a risk. You want safety then stay home.

This would also make it the only event that long again and thus may bring out super boats that have come out here like American ethanol. Special boats will bring more crowds.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Figure out a way to put floating grandstands at the speed traps, with floating food/bar vendors to serve them, water taxi service to/from grandstands.

This way folks without boats can also enjoy the show.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My broke ass participated in DS for many years. The end was due to missing the heli shots. I only go 65mph and ran out of time and missed those based on the card spots they wanted slower boats to run. Then got into a disagreement with Christina about a few items (some related to my daughter).
Christina didn't disagree or alienated just you.🤨

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
I heard a rumor the focus of the event is going to revolve around a pontoon street party, a pontoon shootout, and a pontoon card run.

RD is selling his toon so he can apply the funds toward a new 34' tritoon with four V-12 Merc 600s hung off the back. The unnamed manufacturer isn't releasing any details, but a source that refused to be identified because he wasn't authorized to speak out has said the new toon is expected to run at speeds "approaching 72 MPH."

This is huge.
You forgot the Bluetooth lanyard…..

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
It's a social event based around the street fair for me. It's always good seeing friends and it's the some of the best weather in the desert!
^^^^^ This, one must understand that it's a boating community social event and not a personal social event to have success at it

Roosky01

Reaction score
I’m super curious how you put monetary value on something like that?

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
We attended DS last year, never put the boat in the water, and had the greatest time we’ve EVER had at DS. Hung on the beach, didn’t need to get up at 6am to get a spot for parade, had a pool day when the wind blew, it was freaking rad! We’ll be on the same program this coming year.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score

It makes me proud to see a post like this about KOH. It has become a lot bigger than I would have imagined.

I sometimes think about boating events; even yesterday, I pitched an idea to @RiverDave. It is pretty hard to make a profit with events. I used to know a guy who developed a big country music festival, and he used to preach about being in for the long haul because the first three years would be a loss.

A promoter should make money; it's the best way to ensure an event can build a legacy following and be solvent enough to have a good staff and treat people right.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
Jim Russell's past promotions as Desert Steel Motorsports have been less than expected. He was given the Parker Enduro and pretty much killed it off in one or two seasons. Havasu Happenings died under his leadership etc. Just my personal feeling after twenty five years of participation in many of his events.
I've been around Jim R. for a VERY LONG TIME, decades+ and I have worked on both of the events you listed and there were circumstances far beyond Jim's control on each of those. Mr. Russel received a healthy dose of "The ways of D.S." according to Jim N. and myself for the last 3 years prior to both Mr. Nichols and my retirement. so he knows the formula for D.S.. Mr. Russel's best resource is his people, he has "boots on the ground".. ie... people that live and work here in Havasu and I believe that will play out strongly to his advantage over all of the History of D.S. knowing the people and interpersonal interactions by living here is a HUGE!!! advantage. I live Here and went nuts putting on the Street Party for all those years, can you imagine what Jim Nichols went through!!!!. I believe Jim R. will do just fine at putting on the event and putting his own stamp on it. (disclaimer...I know absolutely nothing about the other partner)