WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Desert Storm Sold

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
^^^^^ This, one must understand that it's a boating community social event and not a personal social event to have success at it

You maybe misconstrued my post a bit?

It most certainly IS a personal social event for the majority that attend.

If it's Supposed to be a manufacturs event, well, I suppose that's fine for the industry and all that, and of course it Does bring us lowly misfits together, but...

I'd Like to see it become what it's Advertised to be. A poker run for Anyone that wants to attend. Even someone that's running an 18ft ski boat!

Maybe two different courses? Fuck if I know. I'm just here on the outside trying to look in.

😊

riverroyal

Reaction score
I've never done a poker run on the water
DS is not something I would do in a toon. It's not a event for guys like me. Kinda sucks...
This last years street party was meh.
To be honest the stereo wars were just too much. I love big audio and loud music
But thumping techno made me walk the street quick and get out. Basically spending zero money or looking at much.
We raced out Thursday for the event. Wont take off work for this next year.

Just my thoughts. Event promotions and all that seemed fine.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
You maybe misconstrued my post a bit?

It most certainly IS a personal social event for the majority that attend.

If it's Supposed to be a manufacturs event, well, I suppose that's fine for the industry and all that, and of course it Does bring us lowly misfits together, but...

I'd Like to see it become what it's Advertised to be. A poker run for Anyone that wants to attend. Even someone that's running an 18ft ski boat!

Maybe two different courses? Fuck if I know. I'm just here on the outside trying to look in.

😊
nope I got it....by personnel I meant "promoter", it's a party for a "community" not the person putting it on ;) , totally agree with your post even the "F" Havasu summer part LOL, outside looking in = personal, inside looking out = community ;)

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I hate to say this but

You get the city to fence off the street party and charge to get in.

50,000 at 5 dollars a head goes a long way. Donate 10% back to the city to get them to agree.

The street party is actually the biggest and most welcomed part of the event and yet it’s free

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I've never done a poker run on the water
DS is not something I would do in a toon. It's not a event for guys like me. Kinda sucks...
This last years street party was meh.
To be honest the stereo wars were just too much. I love big audio and loud music
But thumping techno made me walk the street quick and get out. Basically spending zero money or looking at much.
We raced out Thursday for the event. Wont take off work for this next year.

Just my thoughts. Event promotions and all that seemed fine.
PFFT I didn't even walk the two blocks over from my house this year...I could hear it just fine...LOL, BTW saw your dad today and got to meet the new GF, I am however a little upset the Galaxy got replaced with a Cheby..LOL

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
I hate to say this but

50,000 at 5 dollars a head goes a long way. Donate 10% back to the city to get them to agree.

The street party is actually the biggest and most welcomed part of the event and yet it’s free
Great idea people will pay

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Bring back the run as fast as you can four wide on the poker run and everyone will be enjoying the hell out of this event .
You can’t even tell when they are running now .
The shoot out in the bay , hell yes .
And have vendors for food and drinks .

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
I hate to say this but

OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!! that would be instant death to the Street Party, my formula was Free & Family which meant no charge and no beer gardens. I hope the new owners see the wisdom in that, I have noticed the change in the street party that it's become more of a techno frat party and things happen that parents don't want their children to see, difference was back in the day I was there stopping that stuff (save it for the Lake) it's been a free for all lately, The Street Party makes plenty of money vendors pay good coin for their spots and participants ....well you ain't getting any where near the middle of the show without a top level+ sponsorship

DWC

Reaction score
I hate to say this but

Don’t disagree at all. I’m not sure fencing the whole thing off is the most practical solution. A better VIP experience could work. Tents with AC, better food and drinks could entice people to drop some coin. The only ones that benefit from the street party are the businesses on the street. Pretty sure they’re not giving anything back. If the free formula worked it wouldn’t have been sold in a fire sale. Something has got to change or it’ll be a new thread in a few years.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
OVER MY DEAD BODY!!!!! that would be instant death to the Street Party, my formula was Free & Family which meant no charge and no beer gardens. I hope the new owners see the wisdom in that, I have noticed the change in the street party that it's become more of a techno frat party and things happen that parents don't want their children to see, difference was back in the day I was there stopping that stuff (save it for the Lake) it's been a free for all lately, The Street Party makes plenty of money vendors pay good coin for their spots and participants ....well you ain't getting any where near the middle of the show without a top level+ sponsorship
bring the money back to havasu

Singleton

Reaction score

Bingo. Walked it after dark in 2021 and had to more or less block my daughter from seeing a few things. Really upset me and ruined the event for me.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Bring back the run as fast as you can four wide on the poker run and everyone will be enjoying the hell out of this event .
You can’t even tell when they are running now .
The shoot out in the bay , hell yes .
And have vendors for food and drinks .
The floating rdp hat put an end to that format😔

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Don’t disagree at all. I’m not sure fencing the whole thing off is the most practical solution. A better VIP experience could work. Tents with AC, better food and drinks could entice people to drop some coin. The only ones that benefit from the street party are the businesses on the street. Pretty sure they’re not giving anything back. If the free formula worked it wouldn’t have been sold in a fire sale. Something has got to change or it’ll be a new thread in a few years.
To me the VIP culture is counter productive to the "everyone" included program & is exactly the thing that will give it the cliquey atmosphere I spoke of in my first comment.

NoOtherWay

Reaction score
Charging for the street fair would be the quickest way to kill DS. Plus extremely hard to regulate and control. A lot of those bars and restaurants have rear entrances. The logistics of it would be a nightmare.

People are weird with money. I use to go to a bar for big UFC fights and always sat facing the bar entrance. The bar would have a $10 cover and I was always astonished with the amount of people that would turn around and walk out after finding out about the $10 cover. $10 is nothing! The price of a beer and a half.

The best part was watching them walk out, call an Uber ( $$ ) and go somewhere else.

DWC

Reaction score
To me the VIP culture is counter productive to the "everyone" included program & is exactly the thing that will give it the cliquey atmosphere I spoke of in my first comment.
It’s a for profit boating event. Over 60% of America lives paycheck to paycheck. The pure nature of boating is a cliquey.
The two easiest ways to generate more revenue is to charge everyone at the street fair or give some VIP options. Whether we like it or not VIP pricing is a part of virtually every event. Even Burning Man has premium option. If the goal is to make it affordable for the locals, then give Havasu residents a discount.

sirbob

Reaction score
Is there a rule that says poker runs need to be charity based?

If you want to develop a charity event - great!! There are lots of good causes full of people and groups that need your help.

I’m not into shaming somebody because they don’t donate enough in my view.

I have no problem with people (promoters) making money or getting paid for the events they put on.

Coachella should be for charity!

An NFL game should be for charity!

Hosting an F1 race should be for charity!

Not

If you put in the blood sweat and tears to assemble an event and managing and run it - you should be able to do what ever you want with the revenue generated.

If you founded an event as a charity - thank you.

If you founded an event as a personal profit center - good for you.

Either way works for me - in the end, it’s only a great event if people see value in it and want to attend or be a part of.

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

@DWC There was a VIP experience with 3 out of 4 items you were even there. You just didn’t get the A/C and even was free. VIP parking was even included for those that joined Us. LOL. Looking to do the same this year as well.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
It’s a for profit boating event. Over 60% of America lives paycheck to paycheck. The pure nature of boating is a cliquey.
The two easiest ways to generate more revenue is to charge everyone at the street fair or give some VIP options. Whether we like it or not VIP pricing is a part of virtually every event. Even Burning Man has premium option. If the goal is to make it affordable for the locals, then give Havasu residents a discount.

This. I would argue the entire event is a cliquey atmosphere to begin with. Might as well pay for elevated access to get a better view of the clique you don’t belong to 🤣

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Is there a rule that says poker runs need to be charity based?

If you want to develop a charity event - great!! There are lots of good causes full of people and groups that need your help.

But I’m not into shaming somebody because they don’t donate enough in my view.

I have no problem with people (promoters) making money or getting paid for the events they put on.

Coachella should be for charity!

An NFL game should be for charity!

Hosting an F1 race should be for charity!

Not

If you put in the blood sweat and tears to assemble an event and managing and run it - you should be able to do what ever you want with the revenue generated.

If you founded an event as a charity - thank you.

If you founded an event as a personal profit center - good for you.

Either way works for me - in the end, it’s only a great event if people see value in it and want to attend or be a part of.

Probably how they skirt tax liabilities on the income from the event….

DWC

Reaction score
This. I would argue the entire event is a cliquey atmosphere to begin with. Might as well pay for elevated access to get a better view of the clique you don’t belong to 🤣
Exactly! I launched next to a guy with a badass F32 at the Marina. He had bought it within the last year. Nice guy, seemed to fit the DCB owner criteria.. Flat bill, tatted up. I asked him how it was to be “in the club”. He laughed and went on for a little while about how they were pretty much assholes to him. Even when you’re in the clique you’re not. 😁

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Lol
I’d never pay extra to get closer to boats I’ll never be able to afford.
But I’m ok being “priced out” as a spectator…and relegated to the serf section.
I’ve seen them all before.

DWC

Reaction score
@DWC There was a VIP experience with 3 out of 4 items you were even there. You just didn’t get the A/C and even was free. VIP parking was even included for those that joined Us. LOL. Looking to do the same this year as well.
Very true. You should have charged more for those beers and burgers!

riverroyal

Reaction score
Maybe a ticketed concert? I'd pay to see a good band at the street fair

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Very true. You should have charged more for those beers and burgers!
Thinking about maybe a 50% increase to cover supply chain and fuel cost increases. LOL

riverroyal

Reaction score
Lol. I saw him live opening for shinedown. Prior to that I'd never heard of the guy. I will say live he is a great show.
He is a HUGE human

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
What do you want from a boating event?

My favorite boating event was the Classic Boat Becah Bash in the mid-2000's. Just a chance to assemble like-minded people. The OP6C events kind of the same deal, but a weekend away from the kids for some adult time.

None of those events, be it a damn run or otherwise, had a lot of entertainment organized.

This last weekend's sand water RV show was kind of a bust; besides the wind, it seemed traffic was down and vendors as well. I was hopeful to see more stuff. A concert would not have changed the experience for me.

I've not been to Desert Storm, so I can't really speak to that event, but I have promoted a lot of different events over the years, and I've always tried to keep social events as part of the experience. It seems the street party is the social piece.

Singleton

Reaction score

no one said DS was experiencing a revenue problem. The issue for me is the % donated to charity seems to be lower than expected and lack of transparency around the organizers profits they take. Don’t tell me that pontoon Storm purchased was not from the event money :). The marketing around DS was it is charity based and run to support charities.

LOTO is run as a community event with a ton of volunteers that see value in running the event. They take pride in being on the committee and sub-committees that organize events.

DS needs to get that same mentality or it’s days are numbered.

Last edited:

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
What do you consider a local Californias with money that own multiple properties in havasu

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
no one said DS was experiencing a revenue problem. The issue for me is the % donated to charity seems to be lower than expected and lack of transparency around the organizers profits they take. Don’t tell me that pontoon Storm purchased was not from the event money :). The marketing around DS was it is charity based and run to support charities.

LOTO is run as a community event with a ton of volunteers that see value in running the event. They take pride in being on the committee and sub-committees that organize events.

Welcome to Lake Havasu, you must be knew here 😂

DWC

Reaction score

I’m guessing the boat(s) were write offs as much as anything. It’s not like they were cruising in Kustom Nordic deck boats. My guess is that the whole deal was sold for less than the Magic Deck molds.
I’d bet whatever Dave is going to spill the beans on is going to throw a whole new curveball to the whole deal.

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
To draw people and boats to this event. There has to be a unique “bragging rights” event for the competition. Bringing up KOH again, if you finished the event or even better you won, you had instant offroad creds , it was never about money. I’m not clever enough to think of an event, but I think that would help keep DS alive and grow it as thee event to attend.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score

I've never been a fan of using charity as a marketing tool for a private business. If a "club" has an event, it works because they usually are not for profit, and the money has to go somewhere.

When an event is a capitalist affair and uses Charity as a marketing tool, unrealistic expectations are set regarding how much a charity receives. It gets really complicated when charity is generalized and not specific.

Much better to drive people to a segregated charity event inside an event, like a pancake breakfast. Then the promoter can write a big foam check and get pictures. Even if the amount is small, it is unexpected and appreciated. Otherwise, someone will be upset that the promoter did not give enough of the profit away.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Residents of Havasu consider them pompous assholes.
I don't normally build an event around the locals. They don't rent hotel rooms and the visitor and convention authority does not give two shits about locals. It's all about room nights. Besides locals are a liability. Fawkers won't even buy a shirt or a beer they bring coolers, start fights and break rules.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

I don't normally build an event around the locals. They don't rent hotel rooms and the visitor and convention authority does not give two shits about locals. It's all about room nights. Besides locals are a liability. Fawkers won't even buy a shirt or a beer they bring coolers, start fights and break rules.

Agreed 100%. The only export of Havasu is tourism.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Seriously, you gotta stop arguing with everyone about everything..

That was not an argument.

@Sportin' Wood understands exactly what I meant. DS isn’t meant to draw Havasu locals.

Most Havasu locals I know that are not recent CA transplants would rather not see the influx of people for DS anyway.

Last edited:

Englewood

Reaction score
Make it so that an average joe like myself can participate. RDP regatta lets us average people do a poker run and also get heli pictures.

Stop catering to the .001%. They can have their run but included us budget ballers.

They messed up by not giving Dave a shot. Someone with a National reach needs to be in charge.