WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I want to get my 13 y/o a 17' Whaler

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
31F584CF-73EE-4473-8BE5-41A9C87D3462.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
I have a soft spot for whalers. Like I said grew up running around the ocean on them and if I get one I could use it to go to dinner and harbor cruises and go to the islands and the boys can grow into it and use it for years and years even into adulthood. I’ve thought about picking up something else, but might as well get what I really want since it’s not a huge amount of money.
Not the cleanest but pretty sure you have connections.
8BE19B1A-E33A-4B2A-9CAD-758ACC6CFB06.jpeg

These things are the Jeeps of the sea. They hold their value like crazy.
F7E7355D-95A9-4F1E-A6EE-217F2D5CCF9C.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
I saw that 17’. I think I can get my neighbors 17 for 15k with a new Yamaha 90 on it 😉👍
He’s asking 20 but I’m gonna tell him 15 😂
$15k With trailer? I’d be in too!

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
There’s a wrecked one by Fox’s, your son in law can patch it back together.
FA6CF4CB-1B67-4132-A0CF-A66D5EC13129.jpeg

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
If that's a dry hull, AKA no bottom paint and not water-logged, totally & easily fixable.
I'd rather have a sun-blistered dry whaler hull, than a pristine one with bottom paint.
I always tell potential Whaler buyers to think of them as a Nerf Foootball , super fun until they're water-logged. 😅

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
That's a major bummer.
That looks like a late 60's to mid 70-'s 16.5 Nauset or a 17 Montauk (bascically identical hulls)
Both rated to 100 HP, so you usually see them powered by a 90 or a 115.
That 70 Evinrude probably pushed it to mid 30's, mph wise.
Not the greatest ride, but very safe & stable under normal operating conditions.

Reference for those hulls . . .

Reactions: DWC

Orange Juice

Reaction score
This one's a blank slate just needs an interior and some trailer work and the price is right. https://www.popyachts.com/skiffs-for-sale/boston-whaler-montauk-in-pacifica-california-r1-258466
That 115hp efi 4 stroke should make it scoot. My parents cut me off at 55hp, and 16’, but it was all we needed to ski. We lived on a lake in the summer, so having a boat on a lift made it ez for a 14 year old to use. I remember cutting it close a few times, getting back to the dock, and getting it on the lift. Scared the crap out of me a few times, but the boat was unsinkable.

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
Here’s one…….

sirbob

Reaction score
Every time I see this thread towards the top, I open it thinking I'm going to see a cool new little whaler or a neat project whaler...

But no...

😁

chadzilla

Legend Performance Marine
Reaction score
I just bought a Whaler this summer. Little one about 12' with a 40hp yamaha on it. Little bastard hauls ass for what it is. Started taking my son and his friend out fishing in it after work. Had more fun in that little boat this summer than our big boat! I had a brand new lowrance HDS 12 Live (whiz bang fish finder for you non fishermen) that I ordered for a customer who backed out of the project, so I installed it and a transducer along with a few other goodies. The boy has been driving the various boats we have had for about 5 yrs now so I felt comfortable letting him take his buddy out in it when we were at the lake. He has taken the boater safety course for Washington state and several Power Squadron courses which helps with Mom's concern. He absolutely loves taking it out and fishing! I went back and forth whether or not to buy it and I am now certain it was a great decision. I can't help but smile every time I see him out in it. Teaches him responsibility too. When he and his buds are out in it, he is the captain and fully understands that their lives are in his hands.

EarpRider

Reaction score
Loved my Boston Whaler, my best friend and I acquired one are senior year in high school, 1985 in Long Beach.
We water skied, wake surfed ( long before it was a thing) we used a long rope and a real surf board, we'd put on a show in front of Parker's Lighthouse/Queen Mary - pre 5 mph zone.
We'd cruise Naples and and the bayside of the Peninsula. Ride the Oil Island transport boat wake and tie off at the mooring can at the oil island and drink beers. Great memories, and such a cool boat.

Tank

Reaction score
Every time I see this thread towards the top, I open it thinking I'm going to see a cool new little whaler or a neat project whaler...

But no...

😁
I’ve been looking for a smokin deal but frankly, I’m waiting for this one. It’s my neighbors. He listed it originally this summer at 25. Dropped it to 20. I told his dad when he gets realistic I’ll buy it for 15. Considering I know exactly what he has into it and the history of it, 15 is fair.

It was bought originally by a family down the street from me. They used it late 60’s, 70’s and then time to time 80’s then it pretty much never saw the light of day 90’s up. Just sat in the garage. About 6 years ago I’m driving to work and I see it sitting out in the driveway. I immediately thought “man, I should stop and see if he wants to sell it”. I was between boats and thought it would be a cool cruiser for the family around the harbor. But then I thought A) dudes gonna want minimum 2500-3500 (remember this was 6 years ago pricing) and B) it’s probably gonna need some serious TLC and maybe a new motor and I ain’t got the time for that shit.

I’m driving back home end of the day and I see my neighbors kid (like 25 y/o) hooking it up to his van. I stop and say hey Mitch whatcha doing. He says, I just bought this. I’m like shit right on how much? He says “$500”! 😳😳🤮
Faaaaaaaack!!

Anyway over next year or so he pulls all hardware off, repainted it re varnishes everything, new fuel tank, new cushions, then slaps a brand new 2017 90 honda on it he got for 11k rigged. Little elbow grease and she’s a real runner. He takes it to the islands to surf and free dive and fish all the time. Has even spent the night on the islands with it. So, I’d kinda like to pick it up but I still think prices are coming down and 20 is too much. I’m good at 15. We’ll see. Maybe the easy sale and knowing where it’ll go will entice.

I’ve known these kids since the day they were born (they’re brothers) Great kids. They grew up next door to me. Awesome to see videos like this. This is what I’m looking for my boys.

2EFDEA1D-2E17-455A-BBAD-703B9DD453E9.jpeg

Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a smokin deal but frankly, I’m waiting for this one. It’s my neighbors. He listed it originally this summer at 25. Dropped it to 20. I told his dad when he gets realistic I’ll buy it for 15. Considering I know exactly what he has into it and the history of it, 15 is fair.

It was bought originally by a family down the street from me. They used it late 60’s, 70’s and then time to time 80’s then it pretty much never saw the light of day 90’s up. Just sat in the garage. About 6 years ago I’m driving to work and I see it sitting out in the driveway. I immediately thought “man, I should stop and see if he wants to sell it”. I was between boats and thought it would be a cool cruiser for the family around the harbor. But then I thought A) dudes gonna want minimum 2500-3500 (remember this was 6 years ago pricing) and B) it’s probably gonna need some serious TLC and maybe a new motor and I ain’t got the time for that shit.

I’m driving back home end of the day and I see my neighbors kid (like 25 y/o) hooking it up to his van. I stop and say hey Mitch whatcha doing. He says, I just bought this. I’m like shit right on how much? He says “$500”! 😳😳🤮
Faaaaaaaack!!

Anyway over next year or so he pulls all hardware off, repainted it re varnishes everything, new fuel tank, new cushions, then slaps a brand new 2017 90 Yamaha on it he got for 11k rigged. Little elbow grease and she’s a real runner. He takes it to the islands to surf and free dive and fish all the time. Has even spent the night on the islands with it. So, I’d kinda like to pick it up but I still think prices are coming down and 20 is too much. I’m good at 15. We’ll see. Maybe the easy sale and knowing where it’ll go will entice.

I’ve known these kids since the day they were born (they’re brothers) Great kids. They grew up next door to me. Awesome to see videos like this. This is what I’m looking for my boys.

View attachment 1176850
I love it - and I love that the kid took on the project.

I hope you can work out a deal with him!

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Faaaaaaaack!!

Anyway over next year or so he pulls all hardware off, repainted it re varnishes everything, new fuel tank, new cushions, then slaps a brand new 2017 90 Yamaha on it he got for 11k rigged. Little elbow grease and she’s a real runner. He takes it to the islands to surf and free dive and fish all the time. Has even spent the night on the islands with it. So, I’d kinda like to pick it up but I still think prices are coming down and 20 is too much. I’m good at 15. We’ll see. Maybe the easy sale and knowing where it’ll go will entice.

View attachment 1176850
Once again Tank bringing great content to RDP.... Thanks.... these bros are the best you can tell. That 90 hp Honda is bullet proof. My buddy bought a new Whaler from Shock boats down here in apprx 2000. Its called a Ventura and its maybe 19' with a split console walk through. They mounted a Honda 135 on it and I guess it was the first 4 stroke on our harbor cause we'd get stopped constantly for questions. He's still got it some 22 years later and boat sits on a can off Lido Island with that Honda with God knows how many hours. He never flushed it or nothing... just annual service [maybe] and its still running solid. Whaler & Honda... good match I'd say!

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
The aftermath / yard sale.
That 'was' my trolling motor poking out of the rocks. 😁
Lifeguard on the Waverunner brought in a line from Vessel Assist & attached it to the bow.
Quick tug on the line when a wave came up & floated it & it flipped right over.
Other than the motor (which I sold for parts), the hull was completely unscathed.

That wave in the background is what clipped Me.
Weirdest deal, there had been no swell in the water whatsoever all day. Then there was . . .☹️
KernTrip004.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
The aftermath / yard sale.
That 'was' my trolling motor poking out of the rocks. 😁
Lifeguard on the Waverunner brought in a line from Vessel Assist & attached it to the bow.
Quick tug on the line when a wave came up & floated it & it flipped right over.
Other than the motor (which I sold for parts), the hull was completely unscathed.

That wave in the background is what clipped Me.
Weirdest deal, there had been no swell in the water whatsoever all day. Then there was . . .☹️
View attachment 1176893
Duuuuude. That sucks. Nice to hear you were ok and so was the boat. Crazy. Playing in the surf is fun but it can bite you. Been there.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Duuuuude. That sucks. Nice to hear you were ok and so was the boat. Crazy. Playing in the surf is fun but it can bite you. Been there.
Weirdest deal ever . . . one thing that happened was after we flipped and it washed up on the rocks . . . was the first thing to float up was my EPIRB.
It wasn't 'mounted' to the boat, it was just loose somewhere in the boat.
I grabbed it, flipped up the antenna, and pushed the 2 buttons to activate it . . . we were right at Point Fermin so really close to the Coast Guard base.
But the helicopter was there in less than 5 minutes.
Those things really work. 👍

DWC

Reaction score

Faaaaaaaack!!

Anyway over next year or so he pulls all hardware off, repainted it re varnishes everything, new fuel tank, new cushions, then slaps a brand new 2017 90 honda on it he got for 11k rigged. Little elbow grease and she’s a real runner. He takes it to the islands to surf and free dive and fish all the time. Has even spent the night on the islands with it. So, I’d kinda like to pick it up but I still think prices are coming down and 20 is too much. I’m good at 15. We’ll see. Maybe the easy sale and knowing where it’ll go will entice.

View attachment 1176850

Little less power but seems like you could get a deal.
2DAA8A41-8B0F-412A-A199-2C1202C170E2.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
Looks like a 13’ too small.
It said 14’ on the ad. I still new to the Whaler deal. It seems like they’re the Jeep of the Sea. Damn things hold their value.
I’m sitting back waiting for a deal. Something i can take fishing or quick cruise without an hour wipe down.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score

Tank

Reaction score
It said 14’ on the ad. I still new to the Whaler deal. It seems like they’re the Jeep of the Sea. Damn things hold their value.
I’m sitting back waiting for a deal. Something i can take fishing or quick cruise without an hour wipe down.
Im Waiting for my neighbor to come down. Or the right deal on another 17’. I’m not in a huge hurry. I think by spring there’s gonna be some decent deals pop up. If not, I can wait longer. No thang.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

HST4ME

Reaction score
There is a guy on the East Coast building the 13 Bullet again.

Tank

Reaction score
There is a guy on the East Coast building the 13 Bullet again.

That’s funny. Tim Sharkey is a pretty well known offshore boat photographer (sharkey images). He’s always been into little racers. Cool projects on the bullets.

RichL

Reaction score
That’s funny. Tim Sharkey is a pretty well known offshore boat photographer (sharkey images). He’s always been into little racers. Cool projects on the bullets.
This

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Smaller one but kind of cool. I’ve seen this photo on the inlet utube channel. Wonder if it is a hoax.

2156342D-69D8-46D2-BB7B-1B483F8A3FA8.png

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite 17’ boats. They have been out for a while, so there are used ones available. This boat can do A LOT of different missions……..