WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

SB Sheriffs High desert OHV crackdown in effect

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
Look like SB sheriffs will be running several crackdowns up in the high desert. Operation dust devil. I guess that’s the biggest crime going on in the high desert. Glad everything else got resolved.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We've seen them with equipment and rolling stock dedicated to this. Just East of Ridgecrest off the 178. Wagon Wheel and most the Spangler riding area, Trona Pinnacles, Tonka Town, Husky Monument is SB, not one-deputy Kern like most people think.

It has it's benefits locating stolen vehicles and felons with wants and warrants. Just stay on the marked trails, wear helmets, have the kids properly secured, have registration up to date.

They have/had in the past Sheriffs badge stickers for the kids and biscuits for the dogs.

If you come across a closed trail don't get sore, 99% of the time it's because it has a nearby parallel trail. OnX GPS usually shows this. Not always but usually.

Don't be an A Hole and it usually goes OK. Otherwise the LEOS will kill your trip with an ink pen.
Word travels fast, talk to your camping neighbors and other OHV'ers at the bars if they are active.

Last edited:

Xring01

Reaction score
This shit cracks me up.
Its legal to be homeless and harress people, legal to steal anything under $900, legal to shoot up drugs in public, package thefts are thru the roof, catalytic convertor thefts, people drive like aggressive assholes,

But the real crime is out in the desert… Thats where we gonna focus the limited resources…
Lets go harrass the guy who worked 70 hours a week to buy there kid a dirt bike for Xmas and ruin their day on his first ride..
Your riding a Red Sticker bike in a Green Sticker area.. thats felony you stupid shit. 5 years for you
Yeah… thats a great idea.

I dont miss CA… not at all.

Last edited:

bonesfab

Reaction score
This shit cracks me up.
Its legal to be homeless and harress people, legal to steal anything under $900, legal to shoot up drugs in public, package thefts are thru the roof, catalytic convertor thefts, people drive like aggressive assholes,

But the real crime is out in the desert… Thats where we gonna focus the limited resources…
Lets go harrass the guy who worked 70 hours a week to buy there kid a dirt bike for Xmas and ruin their day on his first ride.. Yeah… thats a great idea.

But there the ones that can afford to pay the fines. If you are stealing 899.00 worth of shit, you definitely can't afford the 150.00 ticket.

4Waters

Reaction score
But there the ones that can afford to pay the fines. If you are stealing 899.00 worth of shit, you definitely can't afford the 150.00 ticket.
They can, at least a good chunk of them. I was working out front of a food bank in Watts a couple years ago and roughly 80% of the cars pulling up getting free food were Mercedes (like AMG and G Wagons) and BMW's

bonesfab

Reaction score
They can, at least a good chunk of them. I was working out front of a food bank in Watts a couple years ago and roughly 80% of the cars pulling up getting free food were Mercedes (like AMG and G Wagons) and BMW's
All in learning how to play the system. 7 different baby daddies is close to the ghetto lottery.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
The crime in the high desert is unbelievable....but crack heads don't generate revenue. They use their power to generate revenue not make the area a better place to live.

We literally went to a motocross race in Palmdale and my kid wouldn't stay the night because all he saw was crack heads, hookers, and dealers in the city. What a shit hole! It's coming to our own home towns though too.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

The article says that they received an educational Grant. That would be the reason for a low amount of tickets, arrests and towed vehicles. Most of these grants are state funded. They are usually a result of a need or perceived need for a specific issue in a particular area. Its also usually a just few aholes that bring unwanted attention to the area because they don't follow the rules and are, well, Aholes. Its unfortunate for the good folks but you should be fine as long as you are not way out of bounds.​

If folks saw how fines are divided up, they would quickly realize that something like this is NOT a revenue generator. They will spend more in one day in salary/benefits, fuel and maintenance than they will receive in fines for the entire length of the Grant.​

"The goal of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Off Highway Vehicle Team is to contact off highway vehicle enthusiasts and educate them in the safe and proper use of their equipment, to include use of helmets, seat belts, and operating on designated off highway vehicle trails and open areas."

Grants are usually designed to ADD resources for a particular issue and they DON'T take away from existing resources.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
We've seen them with equipment dedicated to this. Just East of Ridgecrest off the 178. Wagon Wheel and most the Spangler riding area, Trona Pinnacles, Tonka Town, Husky Monument is SB, not one-deputy Kern like most people think.

It has it's benefits locating stolen vehicles and felons with wants and warrants. Just stay on the marked trails, wear helmets, have the kids properly secured, have registration up to date. They have/had in the past Sheriffs badge stickers for the kids and biscuits for the dogs. If you come across a closed trail don't get sore, 99% of the time it's because it has a nearby parallel trail. OnX GPS usually shows this. Not always but usually.

Don't be an A Hole and it usually goes OK. Otherwise the LEOS will kill your trip with an ink pen.
Word travels fast, talk to your camping neighbors and other OHV'ers at the bars.

Yep.

Why would anyone complain about this??

There are SO many Completely a-holes out tearing shit up, it would be awesome to see them thrown out.

Do you think for a second the idiots are Ever going to police themselves!?!

Not gonna happen!!!

They think the desert is a place to destroy Everything and leave trash all over the place. Fuck that.

Book em Dano. And hang em high.

👍🏼

2Driver

Reaction score
Government, the original Karen.

1. LOL “a grant”. The new way to soft peddle wasting tax payer funds. Rarely are these private sector donations which is what they would like you to think.
2. Do we need cops to “educate us“ on how to ride dirt bikes and SXS. Do they feel they must protect us from ourselves because they just took a government course in the 20 steps to be a safe OHV'er lol

AZGF does the same BS. Learn to kayak and OHV with AZGF They even built a $1,000,000 pond to teach people how to fish and yak. Uh, could have used Lake Pleasant just down the road. My kid had to take their hunter safety class, the biggest joke I ever sat through.

45E7E0FF-2931-4775-A414-699AB8F7CF4A.jpeg

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
This shit cracks me up.

Lets go harrass the guy who worked 70 hours a week to buy there kid a dirt bike for Xmas and ruin their day on his first ride..
Your riding a Red Sticker bike in a Green Sticker area.. thats felony you stupid shit. 5 years for you
Yeah… thats a great idea.

Well... Not really. There are no criminal penalties if you're caught riding a red sticker OHV on public lands between May 1st and October 1st. There are several OHV areas (meeting USEPA attainment standards) that allow year round red sticker riding as well.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there is no one doing hard time in California for riding a dirt bike with the wrong color registration sticker.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
OK, since I have been out of California so long, can someone explain to me red sticker? I remember the green stickers but don’t recall red stickers.🤷‍♂️

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
OK, since I have been out of California so long, can someone explain to me red sticker? I remember the green stickers but don’t recall red stickers.🤷‍♂️
Red sticker is a 2 stroke

Taboma

Reaction score
I've been stopped a few times while riding on the Mojave Rd like many of you. It blows my mind that there is law enforcement stopping OHV's in sand washes in the middle of nowhere. It's over the top..
This isn't just a CA or BLM thing, in our case, it was Arizona. We've got ranch property in a mountain range about 30 miles NE of Kingman.
Historically it was a working cattle ranch broken up with large squares comprised of Arizona State Trust Land. The ranch was sold and developed into 40 acre ranch parcels.
Running through most of these undeveloped trust lands between the pine covered ridges, are large sandy and boulder strewn washes.
These washes get flushed out regularly during the monsoons and are being destructed and reconstructed by mom nature annually.
When they're dry, these washes were commonly used by the land owners to augment the area roads, as often the washes provided short cuts and some limited recreational use for the area kids on their ATVs, or motorcycles.
Since a neighboring ranch still has state land leases for their grazing their cattle, ranch hands and seasonal hunters also used these washes to access more remote areas.
Whatever tracks humans were left, were washed away along with car sized boulders seasonally by monsoon rains, rinse, dry and repeat.

About two years ago our road maintenance POA requests that the state of AZ give us legal permission to maintain an old mining and jeep trail from the late 1800's, that passed through one canyon area of state trust land. This maintenance had been done unofficially for many years, but was more or less done off-book by volunteers to avoid any legal issues for the POA.

State of AZ sends a State Trust Ranger guy to evaluate our proposal and document it in person. While he's driving in, around and inspecting that road and others in the area, he spots vehicle tracks leading into several of these washes.
Before the prick had left, he'd posted them to ban any vehicular use and then brought in a dozer to create physical barriers.
Now the physical barriers not only block property owners from using the washes, but now we've got hunters violating posted private property in order to access areas easily accessible by wash prior.
Hopefully the monsoons washes these signs and earthen barriers away and that Ranger gets hit by a bus. :mad:

JFMFG

Reaction score
Anyone know what the fine is for not having a child In a helmet? I refuse to put my 11 month old daughter in one right now. Helmet is to heavy for her neck.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

The Red Sticker is issued to motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 through 2021 that do not meet the emission standards established by the California Air Resources Board (ARB). Vehicles not certified to meet ARB standards are required to indicate a "3" or a "C" in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Here’s something that I have a rough time comprehending : a San Bernardino sheriff at the sand show in Havasu told me he would “ contact “ me in the Ca desert if I wasn’t wearing a helmet , at which time I would most likely be cited and educated about the dangers of not wearing a helmet … ok , fair enough , but in San Francisco the city recently spent , I think , like $30M for a safe / secure drug injection center ! They will not only supply you free of charge the drugs of your choice , lab approved , high potency synthetic drugs , they will literally inject them for you ! Are we living on 2 separate planets ??

BingerFang

Reaction score

Red Stickers are sold with primarily motocross bikes that don’t meet certain standards and can only be ridden between October 1st through May 31st in certain off-road areas. A green sticker dirtbike can ride these certain areas all year round. These are for 2 and 4 stroke dirtbikes.

Regarding the article- I’m willing to bet all 4 of those arrests were drunk people driving UTV’s. Any asshole with a 590 credit score can put $5k down using a credit card on a brand new UTV and go 90mph across the desert.

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
Reality is if you have your act together you’re not gonna get jammed up. I was looking at a list of spots they are patrolling and almost all of those places we avoid going due to a certain element being present. When I’m in my OG buggy cruising by private property, the owners wave, when in a SXS, the property owners scowl. Unfortunately SXS have become the lak lice of the desert. Personally I think they are amazing little vehicles that check a lot of boxes and create accessibility to amazing places, however that’s a double edge sword. Reality is self policing from within the offroad culture isn’t a viable option with a certain element and having popo light them up is the prefered option.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
Reality is if you have your act together you’re not gonna get jammed up. I was looking at a list of spots they are patrolling and almost all of those places we avoid going due to a certain element being present. When I’m in my OG buggy cruising by private property, the owners wave, when in a SXS, the property owners scowl. Unfortunately SXS have become the lak lice of the desert. Personally I think they are amazing little vehicles that check a lot of boxes and create accessibility to amazing places, however that’s a double edge sword. Reality is self policing from within the offroad culture isn’t a viable option with a certain element and having popo light them up is the prefered option.

Very true..

JFMFG

Reaction score
I got a no helmet ticket from the riverside county sheriff it was 100 bucks put a bike helmet on her
I’ll take the 100$ ticket lol. I have a bike helmet on my 2year old issue is that small it’s hard to find one that doesn’t flop all over her head.

Reactions: DWC

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Red sticker is a 2 stroke
The Red Sticker is issued to motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 through 2021 that do not meet the emission standards established by the California Air Resources Board (ARB). Vehicles not certified to meet ARB standards are required to indicate a "3" or a "C" in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

Red Stickers are sold with primarily motocross bikes that don’t meet certain standards and can only be ridden between October 1st through May 31st in certain off-road areas. A green sticker dirtbike can ride these certain areas all year round. These are for 2 and 4 stroke dirtbikes.

Regarding the article- I’m willing to bet all 4 of those arrests were drunk people driving UTV’s. Any asshole with a 590 credit score can put $5k down using a credit card on a brand new UTV and go 90mph across the desert.
Thanks, I guess I should’ve known. California would’ve had smog laws for off-road vehicles. 🙄 Honestly for all I know Arizona has the same thing, all my stuff is street legal and old. Fortunately, as of yet we have no smog checks in Lake Havasu.🤓

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I’ll take the 100$ ticket lol. I have a bike helmet on my 2year old issue is that small it’s hard to find one that doesn’t flop all over her head.

Give this one a shot it fits my buddies 6 month old it adjust very small

KORIMEFA Toddler Helmet for 12 Months -8 Years Old Kids Bike Helmet Infant Helmet for Girls Boys Toddler Kids Multi Sports Helmet Ventilation Baby Adjustable Skateboard Cycling Helmet https://a.co/d/7AxjWBm

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, I guess I should’ve known. California would’ve had smog laws for off-road vehicles. 🙄 Honestly for all I know Arizona has the same thing, all my stuff is street legal and old. Fortunately, as of yet we have no smog checks in Lake Havasu.🤓

It's been this way for ages. Guess you've been gone awhile! 😁

BingerFang

Reaction score

It’s more about paying registration and spark arrestors and not being a drunk idiot. Lol. Kinda like ur lake during the summer time :)

Last edited:

JFMFG

Reaction score
Give this one a shot it fits my buddies 6 month old it adjust very small

KORIMEFA Toddler Helmet for 12 Months -8 Years Old Kids Bike Helmet Infant Helmet for Girls Boys Toddler Kids Multi Sports Helmet Ventilation Baby Adjustable Skateboard Cycling Helmet https://a.co/d/7AxjWBm
Thank you

81eliminator

Reaction score
red stickers are for competition vehicles that don't meet emissions.
they are really closed course vehicles.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Since I live where this crackdown is happening let me offer my .2cents.

I’m glad they are doing.
Sorry but we get a massive amount of douche bags from down the hill that come up to the “Shity” desert and litter, burn pallets and beer bottles. Drive drunk as fuck and ruin it for the rest of us.

Play by the rules and you have nothing to worry about. Funny how that works.

Last edited:

Thing One

Reaction score
My biggest concern with these stops is let's say "if" someone in our group stops for a beer break while out riding, Not trashed, but we all know how it goes, throws the empty's in the back of the car instead of littering, now they are looking at a open container or worse a dui?

Deckin Around

Reaction score
I’ve just never stopped 🤣. Can’t get a ticket if they can’t catch you. 🤷‍♂️

I agree but how fast are you and for how long in what vehicle? I see deputies with Honda, KTM and Husky DIRTBIKES in that pic. They're unmarked, so are they the officer's personal bikes? I wouldn't doubt for a second there are some badass riders in the sheriff dept who would all jump at the chance to hit the trails. I bet they are there specifically for the guys who run.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I agree but how fast are you and for how long in what vehicle? I see deputies with Honda, KTM and Husky DIRTBIKES in that pic. They're unmarked, so are they the officer's personal bikes? I wouldn't doubt for a second there are some badass riders in the sheriff dept who would all jump at the chance to hit the trails. I bet they are there specifically for the guys who run.
Exactly if you have ever seen a fire vs police mx race at glen Helen some of these guys can ride for sure

pixrthis

Reaction score
Wonder why LA doesn’t educate these guys ?
I saw something like this leaving the coliseum after the Nascar race and asked a cop what percentage of the bikes might be stolen, he answered “100%”. That would be a lot of stolen bikes

Reactions: DWC

Nordie

Reaction score
Catch me if you can! Oh wait, I refuse to goto California for anything anymore.

It's really unfortunate that it has come to this, I'm happy for everyone that still enjoys the luxuries of Southern California, I used to vacation there once a year for a week. Now it will never happen again.

There is some amazing riding that I have experienced there, between Dumont, and even near Green Valley Lake, but the headache is just not worth it.