WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bad Party In Newport Bay . . .

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Saw this early this morning.
Not sure what the story is . . . but someone is bummed.
Surprised to see the boom around it . . . tells me it's been that way for a little bit.
Usually they air-bag & pump them out and raise them right away . . . . regardless, looks expensive.

wzuber

Reaction score
Pissed off a neighbor? Haha
Thats a sickening feeling just seeing the video..what a massive bummer.
I woke up rather hung over to seeing my 21' eliminator rocking on the rocky beach at sandpoint on havizoo one morning. I was 22 yrs old, it was my 1st
boat. The wind came up overnite and drug the anchor and it was bow up, waves pounding on the transom and just fukin it up good. Nuthin I could do at the moment but watch. We gathered some help and a neighbor used his boat to pull it back off the beach and float it. Water was at floor level. I hit the bilge and pumped it out. Checked it out And hit the key to start the eng. The eng. Rolled a half-ish revolution and stopped. I thought the battery died. It was a shity day so we bailed. Couple days later I went out to mess with it, charge the batt. Get it started etc. It still would'nt roll over. I pulled a spark plug to find it rusted.....my heart sank. Fortunately it was insured and st.frm paid to have the 455 olds rebuilt, the pump repaired, painted, the bottom repaired and the whole boat got cut/buffed etc. Turned out ok in the end but that first sight was sickening....
That boat was my salvation at the time...lol

Taboma

Reaction score
Appears to be a late 80's or early 90's, Cheoy Lee Sportfish 58'. Really nice Tom Fexas designed, but rather rare.
Tom's more widely acclaimed for designing the Mikelson Yachts.
Real shame :(

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Under water fitting / hose break. It’s amazing how little it takes to sink something like that. My ocd/paranoia would never allow me to keep my boat floating in a dock.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
That is quite common where I live……

There are numerous things that can sink a boat.

A boat lift represents…….. Piece of Mind. Lol
I don’t know. I’ve seen a ton of ways a boat sinks on Arrowhead when a lift fails.

Either rolls off/over when one pontoon loses air or I’ve seen the boat bow in from the failure of the front tanks.

If I did a lift, it would be just high enough to clear smooth water but not like the ones that are two feet or more up in the air.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Don't know if it's still that way, but Cal F&G used to take the lead on fuel spills. They could be ruthless.
I was fueling on the Island before returning home and learned a lesson.... in Newport Harbor the fuel jockies all manage your fueling while you go to the head, do a bump & buy beer, etc... well, apparently the Isands different. It was summer and kids were working. I wandered up to get ice/ beer, bump while thinking they were on point. I return to dock and see fuel all over the surface floating and two teenage fuel jockies are spraying off their legs with hoses. Looks like they had fingers in asses and the pump just kept pumping. Fuel bill was through the roof but most importantly I am terrified of turning ignition! I grab a hose from idiots and begin spraying off fuel from boat and bilge and a local dude comes by kayaking saying "Hey bud we got a water shortage here" thinking I was detailing my boat. Man the moment I turned key was truly a pucker up

Taboma

Reaction score
I was fueling on the Island before returning home and learned a lesson.... in Newport Harbor the fuel jockies all manage your fueling while you go to the head, do a bump & buy beer, etc... well, apparently the Isands different. It was summer and kids were working. I wandered up to get ice/ beer, bump while thinking they were on point. I return to dock and see fuel all over the surface floating and two teenage fuel jockies are spraying off their legs with hoses. Looks like they had fingers in asses and the pump just kept pumping. Fuel bill was through the roof but most importantly I am terrified of turning ignition! I grab a hose from idiots and begin spraying off fuel from boat and bilge and a local dude comes by kayaking saying "Hey bud we got a water shortage here" thinking I was detailing my boat. Man the moment I turned key was truly a pucker up
Close, but not as quite as bad as when you're refueling at the Sea World fuel dock, in full view of thousands of spectators watching leaping Dolphins, and your lovely wife takes the nozzle, "I've got this", what a girl. !!!! 🥰
So you pop the hatch for a general eyeballing just in time to see the gasoline pouring into the bilge. As you look up to holler STOP, you can't help but notice that your sweetheart with all her best intentions of being the perfect First Mate, has the nozzle going full tilt in the adjacent rod holder instead of the fuel fill. :oops:😖

I think I'll end the story right here before I incriminate myself, as I'm unsure on the statute of limitations for such a grievous violation of what followed. 🥴 In brief, it got handled and thankfully there were no mass fish die-offs immediately following.

But I'm sure you discovered as did I, it's hard to cover both your ears and your balls and turn the ignition keys simultaneously. 😱🤣

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
I don’t know. I’ve seen a ton of ways a boat sinks on Arrowhead when a lift fails.

Either rolls off/over when one pontoon loses air or I’ve seen the boat bow in from the failure of the front tanks.

If I did a lift, it would be just high enough to clear smooth water but not like the ones that are two feet or more up in the air.
On our lift in Arrowhead, we put shutoff valves on each pontoon so there was no possibility of failure.

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
O

On our lift in Arrowhead, we put shutoff valves on each pontoon so there was no possibility of failure.
We had a lift on Palisades with a shut off valve. The shut off valve kept the air in, but the wave action broke the lift. Boat almost rolled on me when I released the safety valve and it started dropping. (This was one of those Econolifts with the single tank and not the double pontoon style.)

Ultimately determined that the lift wasn’t installed properly, it should have had the rough water upgrade and did not. Didn’t damage the boat other than it slammed the finger on an angle and then dropped into the water.

Our rule of no one boarding the boat until it’s completely down in the water was probably a lucky break.

We since sold that dock and moved over into Blue Jay Bay but it’s too shallow where we are now for a lift. Oh well.

poncho

Reaction score
Close, but not as quite as bad as when you're refueling at the Sea World fuel dock, in full view of thousands of spectators watching leaping Dolphins, and your lovely wife takes the nozzle, "I've got this", what a girl. !!!! 🥰
So you pop the hatch for a general eyeballing just in time to see the gasoline pouring into the bilge. As you look up to holler STOP, you can't help but notice that your sweetheart with all her best intentions of being the perfect First Mate, has the nozzle going full tilt in the adjacent rod holder instead of the fuel fill. :oops:😖

I think I'll end the story right here before I incriminate myself, as I'm unsure on the statute of limitations for such a grievous violation of what followed. 🥴 In brief, it got handled and thankfully there were no mass fish die-offs immediately following.

But I'm sure you discovered as did I, it's hard to cover both your ears and your balls and turn the ignition keys simultaneously. 😱🤣
That has happened at my Marina many times over the years.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Rod holder.... I can see that.... you win

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
We had a lift on Palisades with a shut off valve. The shut off valve kept the air in, but the wave action broke the lift. Boat almost rolled on me when I released the safety valve and it started dropping. (This was one of those Econolifts with the single tank and not the double pontoon style.)

Ultimately determined that the lift wasn’t installed properly, it should have had the rough water upgrade and did not. Didn’t damage the boat other than it slammed the finger on an angle and then dropped into the water.

Our rule of no one boarding the boat until it’s completely down in the water was probably a lucky break.

We since sold that dock and moved over into Blue Jay Bay but it’s too shallow where we are now for a lift. Oh well.
Blue Jay! Know anyone named Coppersmith.... huge hard to miss family in cove for 50 years.

04-24Stealth

Reaction score
3EDDAB6B-749E-4159-A248-0D6D3ACE8643.jpeg
Back to floating

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up ! Good to see her floating.
Man . . . I'm sure it's salvageable, but to do it 100% right is going to take a lot of work and a TON of money.
I hope they had good insurance on her.
That damn saltwater just eats everything alive . . . I'm pretty thorough with how I maintain our 2 little Whalers, . . but I've pretty much just resolved to the fact that there's no stopping the slow death that the salt does to them . . . I'm just prolonging the inevitable.

Riverbottom

Reaction score
I wonder if the extreme low tide this week caused it to sink. Walked around the island around 6:00 P.M. last night. Many large power boats on the sand, some laid over with struts and props on the beach. That much weight sitting on the ground can't be good. I would think a shaft log or rudder stuffing box could be damaged pretty easily. Saw a couple of small v bottoms on shore moorings that were swamped from laying over on their side.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
I wonder if the extreme low tide this week caused it to sink. Walked around the island around 6:00 P.M. last night. Many large power boats on the sand, some laid over with struts and props on the beach. That much weight sitting on the ground can't be good. I would think a shaft log or rudder stuffing box could be damaged pretty easily. Saw a couple of small v bottoms on shore moorings that were swamped from laying over on their side.
That's a really good point.
I hadn't even thought of that.
I could totally see a hull getting 'sucked-down' into that silty bay muck allowing water to come over/ in as the tide rises.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Yep, this Kings Tide has everyone with a shore mooring pretty much laying on their side. My buddies 18' Ventura Whaler on Lido Isle lays on side a lot over the years it seems like. Its small enough I guess not to cause damage to boat. I believe the island shore moorings have a size limit though. Pretty slick & cheap way to go if you can score one... we just stand on sand and pull it in and off ya go. I think somebody's gotta die to find one available though lol.