WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

what the heck would cause this (battery issue)

EmpirE231

Reaction score
So I've had this coach for a little over a year.... batteries were all new November of 2019 from the previous owner.

No solar... only charges when on shore power or from the genny. Has two magnum magnum MS2000 inverters / chargers.

I was doing some cleaning of the storage bays the other day and noticed 2 of the 8 batteries were bulging badly!! check it out. Already called and have an email out to the battery manufacturer to get some details and make sure everything is setup properly. but figured we can all take our guesses in here...

Its the 2 on the left of the pack... you can see the front one is discolored as well.

IMG_8830.jpg
IMG_8831.jpg
IMG_8828.jpg

Ladsm

Reaction score
I left my LIPO batteries for my RC cars in the hot garage this summer and they swelled up like that. Not sure what type of batteries those are or your storage conditions.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
I would start with all the corroded connections/all connections, the one circled in particular. Also the charging rate. Those 2 seem to be at the end of the series so they might be getting the blunt of the over charge. The mid series can pass it to the next one but those two look like they are the end of the series with nowhere else to go. Jmo
20230109_134042.jpg

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I left my LIPO batteries for my RC cars in the hot garage this summer and they swelled up like that. Not sure what type of batteries those are or your storage conditions.
these are AGM's... motorhome is stored outdoors in socal area... gets warm during the Summer, but not that hot. And I'm pretty sure this happened more recently.... weather has been cold.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I would start with all the corroded connections/all connections, the one circled in particular. Also the charging rate. Those 2 seem to be at the end of the series so they might be getting the blunt of the over charge. The mid series can pass it to the next one but those two look like they are the end of the series with nowhere else to go. Jmo
View attachment 1187539
I was wondering where these fall in the sequence of charging. Hard for me to tell if these were first, last or in the middle somewhere with all these damn cables / wires lol

here is the schematics on the door, of how they are supposed to be wired.... now I haven't confirmed if they are wired correctly yet

IMG_8827.jpg

TimeBandit

Reaction score
They are at end of life. between 3-4 years is it for most any battery.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The charger in your coach is NOT a battery charger. It's a 12v power source that has NO ability to detect the level of your battery charge, and back off when they are topped off.

It only knows how to push voltage.

It does not know how to regulate voltage.

Hence, it cooked your batteries. 😔

EmpirE231

Reaction score
The charger in your coach is NOT a battery charger. It's a 12v power source that has NO ability to detect the level of your battery charge, and back off when they are topped off.

It only knows how to push voltage.

It does not know how to regulate voltage.

Hence, it cooked your batteries. 😔
these are charged by the MAGNUM inverters... which are supposed to be a lot smarter than the oldschool converter chargers... these actually go into bulk/absorb & float charge modes and monitor battery temps to avoid this sort of thing.... but here we are lol

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
these are charged by the MAGNUM inverters... which are supposed to be a lot smarter than the oldschool converter chargers... these actually go into bulk/absorb & float charge modes and monitor battery temps to avoid this sort of thing.... but here we are lol

Then the inverter is bad. Not the batteries.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
AGM's are supposed to last a bit longer... usually 5-7 years... some up to 10.
In a perfect world perhaps,
are these the best available 6 volt agm batteries, or the cheapest?
are they stored in a cool place?
do they ever get used to below 50% of capacity?
is the motorhome ever stored with the batteries below 100% capacity?
are they charged to 100% of capacity immediately after being discharged?

they can last longer, depends on the history of use / storage and charging.

HullofaTime

Reaction score
They are out gassing caused by a couple of scenarios, most likely an over charge or shorted cells, in any case I would disconnect and remove those from your coach asap, have seen them explode….

EmpirE231

Reaction score
In a perfect world perhaps,
are these the best available 6 volt agm batteries, or the cheapest? Maybe second best? ranked up there with Lifeline AGM.... definitely not cheap
are they stored in a cool place? Motorhome is stored outdoor in Riverside, CA.... gets warm during the summer, but not cook batteries warm.
do they ever get used to below 50% of capacity? Not since I've owned the motorhome
is the motorhome ever stored with the batteries below 100% capacity? It stays plugged in which keeps the batteries in a float mode @ or near 100%
are they charged to 100% of capacity immediately after being discharged? yep

they can last longer, depends on the history of use / storage and charging.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
They are out gassing caused by a couple of scenarios, most likely an over charge or shorted cells, in any case I would disconnect and remove those from your coach asap, have seen them explode….
I turned the charging off right away when I noticed it.

definitely planning on replacing the 2. Ideally would love to covert to lithium ion... but not right now mid season.

HullofaTime

Reaction score
I turned the charging off right away when I noticed it.

definitely planning on replacing the 2. Ideally would love to covert to lithium ion... but not right now mid season.

I personally would still remove them asap, wouldn’t want a fire, they are still not safe sitting there even if the charge is off, example, a shorted cell will still receive energy through the other batteries and is considered unpredictable.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I personally would still remove them asap, wouldn’t want a fire, they are still not safe sitting there even if the charge is off, example, a shorted cell will still receive energy through the other batteries and is considered unpredictable.
gotcha... okay will definitely disconnect it when I get home tonight.

69hondo

Reaction score
I know my coach is not on the same level but I dont plug my coach in when its no being used. I shut the house down with the main switch and plug in a separate trickle/float tender for just the batteries.

Dont know if that helps but its just what I was taught and do.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I know my coach is not on the same level but I dont plug my coach in when its no being used. I shut the house down with the main switch and plug in a separate trickle/float tender for just the batteries.

Dont know if that helps but its just what I was taught and do.
yeah on my gasser, I would shut it all down. That had a converter style charger which just pumped something like 14.5V constantly.

this one goes into a float mode, so I keep it plugged in all the time. Also has a residential fridge... that we just keep on 24/7/365.

I have a feeling that the batteries were already hurt / faulty before I got it? or something went sideways with the charging system. Leaning more towards faulty batteries because the inverters/chargers have panels inside and would shut down or flash error codes if something was wrong with them.

lenmann

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen with the battery bank on my houseboat just last month, popped the tops or bulged 3 of 12. The batteries are two year old Discover AGM's, charged via solar through a MidNight charge controller and a Magnum inverter when the generator is running. This is the second set of batteries with first set lasting 7 years, so the equipment was OK at one time.

Reached out and spoke with the Discover technical rep, he says it's over-charging plain and simple. Too much voltage creates hydrogen (yikes) gas build-up inside the sealed battery and bulges the case or blows the top off. I pushed on the idea of a bad cell causing the charge controller to over charge and he said it's super rare, as in never happens.

Aside from disconnecting the batteries and shutting off the solar I haven't had the opportunity to trouble shoot the charge controller. Between the holidays and the rain I haven't been able to get to the docks.

Not looking forward to buying 12 new $400 batteries come springtime...maybe time to look at lithium if I have to replace the charge controller and inverter.

@EmpirE231 post up what you learn and I will do the same.

IMG_1256.jpeg
IMG_1255.jpeg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My toy hauler batteries were dead when I went to get ready for new years.

6v Interstates

ProTip: When a real golf cart goes into the shop for a battery issue, the shop replaces ALL of the batteries.

They chuck the bad one(s) and hang on to the good ones.

I picked up two 375.00 batteries for 50.00 and went camping.

The end. 😊

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen with the battery bank on my houseboat just last month, popped the tops or bulged 3 of 12. The batteries are two year old Discover AGM's, charged via solar through a MidNight charge controller and a Magnum inverter when the generator is running. This is the second set of batteries with first set lasting 7 years, so the equipment was OK at one time.

Reached out and spoke with the Discover technical rep, he says it's over-charging plain and simple. Too much voltage creates hydrogen (yikes) gas build-up inside the sealed battery and bulges the case or blows the top off. I pushed on the idea of a bad cell causing the charge controller to over charge and he said it's super rare, as in never happens.

Aside from disconnecting the batteries and shutting off the solar I haven't had the opportunity to trouble shoot the charge controller. Between the holidays and the rain I haven't been able to get to the docks.

Not looking forward to buying 12 new $400 batteries come springtime...maybe time to look at lithium if I have to replace the charge controller and inverter.

@EmpirE231 post up what you learn and I will do the same.

View attachment 1187802 View attachment 1187803

battery guys want to say its the inverters / chargers fault, and those guys will say its the batteries fault!

definitely will update this.

I'm tempted to just drop 2 of these in there to replace the 8....... but now we're talking 5k. and then if I had to replace the inverters/chargers... that could quickly turn into around 7-8K

EmpirE231

Reaction score
man this could get expensive. Pulled the 2 batteries and noticed the 2 next door have some deformation going on as well. Not sure if it was from the bad 2 pushing against them, or if they are internally damaged.

IMG_8844.jpg
IMG_8845.jpg

TimeBandit

Reaction score
not cheap. Best price online $336. Murietta location shows as having stock, others too.

or these at $304 each:

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
not cheap. Best price online $336. Murietta location shows as having stock, others too.

or these at $304 each:

that price seems better than most! other want 400 a pop.

waiting on some pricing back for some lifelines.....IF I have to or decide to change all 8... I might go lifeline just to have that made in USA quality

also kicking around the idea of going full lithium upgrade... but that will most likely require a new inverter/charge as well... can get very pricey.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
here's what I say... your charging at way too high of amps for agm battery's..
yeah... too high of amps... or for too long

this coach has 2 magnum inverters / chargers.... so when both are charging it can pump some serious power! I have a feeling one of them is acting up. doing some tests now at home to confirm.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
battery guys want to say its the inverters / chargers fault, and those guys will say its the batteries fault!

definitely will update this.

I'm tempted to just drop 2 of these in there to replace the 8....... but now we're talking 5k. and then if I had to replace the inverters/chargers... that could quickly turn into around 7-8K
This ^ is what I did. (3) GC3s and VictronConnect solar chargers plus a Victron inverter. Had to rewire a few things on the AC side too but now we can run all our AC loads off the inverter (including Air Conditioners, fridge, etc). I think I the shunt shows it as 8 hours of runtime with no solar input and the fridge and one Air Conditioner running. 🤙

EmpirE231

Reaction score
This ^ is what I did. (3) GC3s and VictronConnect solar chargers plus a Victron inverter. Had to rewire a few things on the AC side too but now we can run all our AC loads off the inverter (including Air Conditioners, fridge, etc). I think I the shunt shows it as 8 hours of runtime with no solar input and the fridge and one Air Conditioner running. 🤙
sounds like a killer setup! did you use the Victron 3000w inverter? I wish the new inverters had solar charging capability already built in.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
sounds like a killer setup! did you use the Victron 3000w inverter? I wish the new inverters had solar charging capability already built in.
I did the Victron multiplus 3000 so the inverter itself can put out up to 30 A inverter only but the cool part is if you’re on a 20 amp or 30 amp hook up it’ll actually supplement the shore power up to 50 A. 👍

basically everything always runs through the inverter so switching from shore power to generator to battery power is completely seamless

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
yeah... too high of amps... or for too long

this coach has 2 magnum inverters / chargers.... so when both are charging it can pump some serious power! I have a feeling one of them is acting up. doing some tests now at home to confirm.
if it didn't come stock with agm's... you are charging at too high of amps...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
100AH AGM Battery200AH AGM Battery100Ah GEL Battery200Ah GEL Battery100Ah Smart Lithium Battery170Ah Lithium BatteryNominal Voltage12V12V12V12V12V12VMaximum Continuous Charging Current30A60A30A60A50A85ACharging VoltageDischarge: 5℉~122℉;Charge: 5℉~104℉Discharge: 5℉~122℉;Charge: 5℉~104℉Discharge: -4℉~140℉ ; Charge: 32℉~122℉Discharge: -4℉~140℉ ; Charge: 32℉~122℉Discharge: -4℉~140°F ; Charge: 32℉~131°FDischarge: -4℉~140°F ; Charge: 32℉~113°FStorage Temperature5℉~104℉-4℉~140℉-4℉~140℉-4℉~140℉-13℉~149℉32℉~77℉TerminalM8M8M8M8M8M12Connection MethodParallel+SeriesParallel+SeriesParallel+SeriesParallel+SeriesParallelParallelCommunication Port----RJ45 (RS485 Protocol)-Weight63.9 lbs127.9lbs63.9 lbs127.9 lbs26 lbs48.5 lbsDimension13.1 x 6.9 x 8.6 inch20.6 x 9.4 x 8.8 inch12.9 x 6.8 x 8.7 inch20.6 x 9.4 x 8.8 inch11.4 x 6.8 x 7.4 inch13.7 x 6.1 x 10.6 inchShelf Mode----✓-

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
you can only charge a max of 30-50 amps with agm batterys... renogy voids battery waranty for over charging the amps...I'm gonna bet when they are low your throwing 200 amps off the coach...

Meaney77

Reaction score
that price seems better than most! other want 400 a pop.

waiting on some pricing back for some lifelines.....IF I have to or decide to change all 8... I might go lifeline just to have that made in USA quality

also kicking around the idea of going full lithium upgrade... but that will most likely require a new inverter/charge as well... can get very pricey.
Just an FYI Full River is not far from where I live when I call them directly last week for motorhome batteries they said there's better pricing through Battery Systems.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Check the inverter charger assemblies. Most have a selector, like a battery charger, for types of battery being used. As 2FF said, and others, the system is charging too high. I think it also has to do with the "float" function as well, as one can be discharged deeper than others before requiring a charge. Look up the manuals, some have a switch accessible, some have a slotted screw type dial.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
if it didn't come stock with agm's... you are charging at too high of amps...
So I spoke with the battery manufacturer (fullriver) and according to my AH capacity (896AH)...they said I could have fed the batteries up to 224 amps of charging current without damaging them. I currently have 2 magnum inverters that can pump out 100 amps of charging current each (so 200 amps max charging current)

so it sounds like it wasn't the amps that caused my problem... but maybe the absorption time setting. The confusion comes in since my rig has 2 inverter chargers rather than just 1.... so they can work against each other since the don't communicate with each other. Fullriver recommended the AGM2 charge profile, which mine had.

so either
1. they charged for too long
2. something is wrong with my inverters/chargers
3. They were damaged from being drawn down too much from the previous owner... and now they failed.

for how many batteries this coach had... they never seemed to be that impressive... so I think they were semi damaged before I got it... who knows. Now I need to make some expensive decisions.

option 1: buy 8 new AGM batteries.... most likely going with lifelines if I go that route.

option 2: Go lithium with some battle born batteries. I still have to call them to confirm they'll work with my inverters and also call my inverter manufacturer to make sure my stuff is functioning properly.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So I spoke with the battery manufacturer (fullriver) and according to my AH capacity (896AH)...they said I could have fed the batteries up to 224 amps of charging current without damaging them. I currently have 2 magnum inverters that can pump out 100 amps of charging current each (so 200 amps max charging current)

so it sounds like it wasn't the amps that caused my problem... but maybe the absorption time setting. The confusion comes in since my rig has 2 inverter chargers rather than just 1.... so they can work against each other since the don't communicate with each other. Fullriver recommended the AGM2 charge profile, which mine had.

so either
3. They were damaged from being drawn down too much from the previous owner... and now they failed.

for how many batteries this coach had... they never seemed to be that impressive... so I think they were semi damaged before I got it... who knows. Now I need to make some expensive decisions.

option 1: buy 8 new AGM batteries.... most likely going with lifelines if I go that route.

option 2: Go lithium with some battle born batteries. I still have to call them to confirm they'll work with my inverters and also call my inverter manufacturer to make sure my stuff is functioning properly.
usually it's the alternator

Meaney77

Reaction score

so either

8 batteries..... ouch!

Honest question seems like Overkill do you really need that many?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
8 batteries..... ouch!

Honest question seems like Overkill do you really need that many?
It’s an all electric coach with a residential fridge. No solar currently. I can probably get by with 6 but 8 is ideal unless I want to run the genny a lot! Also most of the time have wife and kids along… camping in the desert 90% of the time.

Meaney77

Reaction score
It’s an all electric coach with a residential fridge. No solar currently. I can probably get by with 6 but 8 is ideal unless I want to run the genny a lot! Also most of the time have wife and kids along… camping in the desert 90% of the time.
Im sure a Horrible Freight 3500 Generator is still cheaper than atlest 2 of the Battle Borns!

BBYSTWY

Reaction score
If it was mine I would just buy some good ole fashioned lead acid deep cycles and be done....never been a fan of AGM for this reason..if the charger is not matched perfect with the batteries this happens. Not sure on lithium as I haven't dealt with them much but AGM's are a no go for me...just my opinion of course.

Run 3 4D sized lead acids and I bet your capacity will be higher than the 8 AGM's but I could be wrong.

Either way any battery nowadays is junk IMO. They just don't last like they used to and cost more...makes me cringe everytime I have to buy a battery knowing that it will most likely be junk in a year or two.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
If it was mine I would just buy some good ole fashioned lead acid deep cycles and be done....never been a fan of AGM for this reason..if the charger is not matched perfect with the batteries this happens. Not sure on lithium as I haven't dealt with them much but AGM's are a no go for me...just my opinion of course.

Run 3 4D sized lead acids and I bet your capacity will be higher than the 8 AGM's but I could be wrong.

Either way any battery nowadays is junk IMO. They just don't last like they used to and cost more...makes me cringe everytime I have to buy a battery knowing that it will most likely be junk in a year or two.
I agree a lot of batteries are junk these days... which is why I'm considering the lithium upgrade. upfront cost would definitely sting.... but these things are supposed to go 10+ years. and you can run them donw to 0% without hurting them etc.

definitely not an easy upgrade. Considering finishing off this desert season with the 6 that are still in the rig now and waiting til season is over (april) to make some changes. Might rack up more hours on the generator on the next couple trips.

spark2678

Reaction score
Empire, I have a '11 American Tradition 42P that I just switched out (8) 200AH AGM's for (3) 200AH 200A Amperetime batteries and added 600W of solar on the roof (going to add another 500W in a few weeks). I also am all electric with (1) 2800W Magnum and (1) 2000W Magnum inverter. The interface for these magnums are the older ME-ARC50 that does not have the Lithium profile. There is a custom profile though that if you go the Magnum's website has the custom setting you can change to. So far so good. I haven't used the coach yet since I did the work but I expect great results. I mainly will use it for dry camping in Glamis and want something that I can run all equipment including the microwave with only having to charge the batteries MAYBE at night for a couple hours before bedtime. I don't want to have to worry about batteries.

To me it was a no brainer going to LifePO4. (8) new AGM's were going to cost me $2400 and you only get 1/2 the capacity due to only being able to drain them to 50%. So I went with a little less than 1/2 the capacity at (3) 200AH LifePO4's at $650ea. Plus they should last 10 years plus!

If you can install the solar yourself you will save big money, get the panels from somebody like SanTan Solar in Phoenix for $70/ea @ 250W. Then buy the wiring and a good mppt controller online. Like others have said, Victron is good so is Renogy.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Empire, I have a '11 American Tradition 42P that I just switched out (8) 200AH AGM's for (3) 200AH 200A Amperetime batteries and added 600W of solar on the roof (goign to add another 500W in a few weeks. I also am all electric with (1) 2800W Magnum and (1) 2000W Magnum inverter. The interface for these magnums are the older ME-ARC50 that does not have the Lithium profile. There is a custom profile though that if you go the Magnum's website has the custom setting you can change to. So far so good. I haven't used the coach yet since I did the work but I expect great results. I mainly will use it for dry camping in Glamis and want something that I can run all equipment including the microwave with only having to charge the batteries MAYBE at night for a couple hours before bedtime. I don't want to have to worry about batteries.

To me it was a no brainer going to LifePO4. (8) new AGM's were going to cost me $2400 and you only get 1/2 the capacity due to only being able to drain them to 50%. So I sent a little less than 1/2 the capacity with (3) 200AH LifePO4's at $650ea. Plus they should last 10 years plus!

If you can install the solar yourself, get the panels from somebody like SanTan Solar in Phoenix for $70/ea @ 250W. Then buy the wiring and controller online. Like others have said, Victron is good so is Renogy.
Thanks for the feedback and info.

My rig is a 2011 American coach revolution... so very similar setup! Mine has 2 of the magnum 2000W (one is dedicated to the resi fridge)

I was considering the battleborns... even though 3x the cost. Tryin to do the buy once cry once theory... But there are a lot of other options out there for lifePO4... and it is tempting. I don't have any solar yet... but definitely something I would want to add down the road.

we do the same thing... dry camp in Glamis or Dumont is how the rig is used 90% of the time

spark2678

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and info.

My rig is a 2011 American coach revolution... so very similar setup! Mine has 2 of the magnum 2000W (one is dedicated to the resi fridge)

I was considering the battleborns... even though 3x the cost. Tryin to do the buy once cry once theory... But there are a lot of other options out there for lifePO4... and it is tempting. I don't have any solar yet... but definitely something I would want to add down the road.

we do the same thing... dry camp in Glamis or Dumont is how the rig is used 90% of the time
Amperetimes get good reviews and I have 1 guy in our camp that has had really good luck with them. They are a lot cheaper than battleborns.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Definitely cheaper options for lithiums but something to be said for a one stop shop with support (if you need it)...

100% get some solar on the roof though. Makes a big difference. Bond some flexible panels to the roof and call it a day.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Definitely cheaper options for lithiums but something to be said for a one stop shop with support (if you need it)...

100% get some solar on the roof though. Makes a big difference. Bond some flexible panels to the roof and call it a day.
I’ve heard about flexible panels! Do they work as well? Any certain brands to looks for?

Also what about Renogy Lifepo4 batteries? They seem to be the #2 brand…. But about 1/2 the cost of battleborn?

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
I’ve heard about flexible panels! Do they work as well? Any certain brands to looks for?

Also what about Renogy Lifepo4 batteries? They seem to be the #2 brand…. But about 1/2 the cost of battleborn?
No direct experience with the Renogy batteries but I like this guy and he has a teardown video on those.

As for the solar, the flexible is said to be slightly less efficient but there are guys that have run tests and seen very little difference. The ease of install makes up for any losses IMHO. Bonded to the roof with VHB tape and/or eternabond and you're done. Way better than numerous holes in your roof for mounting (again IMO). I have Renogy panels :) and they have been great. $270/175W panel from Amazon shipped to your door.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
No direct experience with the Renogy batteries but I like this guy and he has a teardown video on those.

As for the solar, the flexible is said to be slightly less efficient but there are guys that have run tests and seen very little difference. The ease of install makes up for any losses IMHO. Bonded to the roof with VHB tape and/or eternabond and you're done. Way better than numerous holes in your roof for mounting (again IMO). I have Renogy panels :) and they have been great. $270/175W panel from Amazon shipped to your door.
Watched that! Seems like a well built battery.

$879 for battleborn vs $469 for the renogy (100AH lifepo4)

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
I have those same batteries and they act super weird. I can charge up to 14.5 then unplug tbt coach turn 2 led lights on and in a matter of 30 mins they are already to 12.5. With just 2 led lights that should not do that imo. Iva had toy haulers with regular 12v car batteries and they never did that. I’ve never had a problem with running out of power or getting weak voltage. I just find it odd. And no I don’t have any other draws I know for a fact.

Anyways that’s from overcharging as stated. Mine are 6v tied to make 12v. On my inverter I had an amp hour input make sure that’s correct. You can only add up the amp hours that make 12v. So the two 6v tied together ti make 12v would still be 250 or whatever the battery is rated at, adding them together is not correct. Not sure if that makes a difference on those inverters for charging.