WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

what the heck would cause this (battery issue)

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Flexible panels don't allow any airflow and will heat up your interior, roof material pretty fast also any moisture underneath the panels gets stuck. You need an air gap to do it right

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I have those same batteries and they act super weird. I can charge up to 14.5 then unplug tbt coach turn 2 led lights on and in a matter of 30 mins they are already to 12.5. With just 2 led lights that should not do that imo. Iva had toy haulers with regular 12v car batteries and they never did that. I’ve never had a problem with running out of power or getting weak voltage. I just find it odd. And no I don’t have any other draws I know for a fact.

Anyways that’s from overcharging as stated. Mine are 6v tied to make 12v. On my inverter I had an amp hour input make sure that’s correct. You can only add up the amp hours that make 12v. So the two 6v tied together ti make 12v would still be 250 or whatever the battery is rated at, adding them together is not correct. Not sure if that makes a difference on those inverters for charging.
You have the renogy lifepo4 batteries or full river AGM?

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
You have the renogy lifepo4 batteries or full river AGM?
The full river AGM, if you make the switch make sure the inverter can be changed to lipo setting. They way the two charge is different

EmpirE231

Reaction score
The full river AGM, if you make the switch make sure the inverter can be changed to lipo setting. They way the two charge is different
Gotcha! My inverters have a custom setting to be able to set the charge parameters. Pretty sure im gonna make the switch to lithium. Right now running on the 6 batteries still left in the rig, and they hold up enough to run the fridge for the day. So I might just finish up my desert season with the 6 in there and do my upgrade over the Summer.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Gotcha! My inverters have a custom setting to be able to set the charge parameters. Pretty sure im gonna make the switch to lithium. Right now running on the 6 batteries still left in the rig, and they hold up enough to run the fridge for the day. So I might just finish up my desert season with the 6 in there and do my upgrade over the Summer.
Yea the lipo sounds like it would be a good upgrade with the residential style fridge mixed with desert camping. Mine runs on propane so I just haven’t justified the cost yet 😂 plus I normally run a little 2000 grenny at night to keep things up even though I could probably go days without.

My dad has the same style fridge as you and he has to run his 2000 in the night to maintain even with a good sized solar system, Just regular agms. Makes it work but kinda a pita. He will be switching to lipo when the time comes

Meaney77

Reaction score
Yea the lipo sounds like it would be a good upgrade with the residential style fridge mixed with desert camping. Mine runs on propane so I just haven’t justified the cost yet 😂 plus I normally run a little 2000 grenny at night to keep things up even though I could probably go days without.

My dad has the same style fridge as you and he has to run his 2000 in the night to maintain even with a good sized solar system, Just regular agms. Makes it work but kinda a pita. He will be switching to lipo when the time comes
Question for you guys- when you guys are out camping in the desert running your little generators throughout the night. Do you change any settings on your control panel for the inverter charger? We camp in the desert quite a bit,I run a 3500 generator throughout the day and overnight. Seems like the six volts I have (cheap Costcos...I know) are only lasting a few years and I'm wondering if any of this is due to overcharging as well. Wondering if I change my charge rate to a lower amp if I would get a longer life out of the batteries.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
Question for you guys- when you guys are out camping in the desert running your little generators throughout the night. Do you change any settings on your control panel for the inverter charger? We camp in the desert quite a bit,I run a 3500 generator throughout the day and overnight. Seems like the six volts I have (cheap Costcos...I know) are only lasting a few years and I'm wondering if any of this is due to overcharging as well. Wondering if I change my charge rate to a lower amp if I would get a longer life out of the batteries.
I do not. What is your charge rate at? Too slow can be just as bad as too high. Also I’m guilty of it too but not working the batteries and drawing them down then recharging every so often. I’ve seen that will shorten the life as well.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I do not. What is your charge rate at? Too slow can be just as bad as too high. Also I’m guilty of it too but not working the batteries and drawing them down then recharging every so often. I’ve seen that will shorten the life as well.
I haven't messed with mine either. I'm not sure what the charge rate is at off the top of my head- it's just the factory setting. Literally just plug the coach into my generator and let it do its thing.

Singleton

Reaction score

Could not agree more.
All my lights in my trailer run off the 12v system. Everything else is 110 (require genny). However when plugged into power my battery charger is running 24/7, thus batteries are not being worked. It’s a smart charger (wizard), but IMO my battery life is impacted due to that setup. In the dirt I run a small solar system to charge the batteries directly. When plug in, that gets turn off.

Dcb.blake

Reaction score
I haven't messed with mine either. I'm not sure what the charge rate is at off the top of my head- it's just the factory setting. Literally just plug the coach into my generator and let it do its thing.
Right around 30% is about where you want to be. Also make sure that the way it charges is correct. Should be at least a 2 stage, first bulk then a float. Basically charges real hard to get up then floats and “trickles” up to desired voltage. I think some have 3 stage as well but I’m not familiar with what it all entails.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
I have a small tt and I use two costco 6 v batteries. No ac for inverter just the basic 12 v stuff, propane fridge. These batteries work well for me, use a portable100w solar set up and let the solar controller maintain the batteries during the day. In Glamis this is usually enough to keep up, only firing genny to use the microwave. Into this little set up w batteries for under $400. Work for me.
Good luck with your set up, this is educating and interesting.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
with those costco 6 volts are you always topping off the water / acid? those usually fail because some people fail to maintain that water level.

On my rig I never bring a small genny along, I just use the onboard genny.... but if your iverters/ chargers (actually have a bulk, absorb and float mode) are all setup right... you shouldn't have to change setting if you go from onboard genny to shore power or small plugged in genny.

Meaney77

Reaction score
with those costco 6 volts are you always topping off the water / acid? those usually fail because some people fail to maintain that water level.

On my rig I never bring a small genny along, I just use the onboard genny.... but if your iverters/ chargers (actually have a bulk, absorb and float mode) are all setup right... you shouldn't have to change setting if you go from onboard genny to shore power or small plugged in genny.
Thats what i figured on the settings...

Yes I keep them properly maintained and check water levels regularly.