WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

For the Real Estate Drop in sales and price Naysayers HOLD ONTO YOUR HATS

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
I would expect to see boat demand on the uptick as well. 10 years from now we will be talking about missed opportunity in the early 2020s. Some people see that, some will sit on the sidelines for another decade waiting for a crash.

One thing that is seldom mentioned here is that Covid taught a lot of people YOLO. Havasu as we know it was built on YOLO. To some, times and memories with friends and family are priceless. To others, it must be 50% off.
I say that everyday

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
Curious , and maybe I missed any talk of of this in this longgggggg thread. Az SB 1168 which was passed in Az I think in late fall which gave cities now the ability to manage short term rentals.

I recall a local uproar to Havasu’s city government about the weekend warriors and short term rentals a few years back. I believe at the time the city legally couldn’t do much. The city can now with this SB.

We haven’t gone through a boating season with this law in effect, and I doubt many have paid much attention.

Any thoughts on how this May effect future inventory. I can see some of the locals calling daily papering up busy Air Bnb properties leading to the possibility of a suspension or revocation of the permit you will need to have.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
When the arguments subside, there's still good info here...like the SXS thread🤣

Hearing all the terminology though, kind of weird. I always met the lender, they said what the payment was, and then I about died. This repeated a few times, a few different homes, and an F'n forest of paper...but it must have worked out. Couldn't tell you anything about SALT, PMI or squat else.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
The cost of selling a property and moving is ridiculous.

Neighbors cabin in flagstaff sold this week. The closing costs are close to $50k. Limited supply in the area is driving up prices.

When I’m ready to sell, the buyers going to pay all closing costs. 😉
I think there’s a growing movement toward flat-rate selling costs, vs the commission structure that’s been the norm.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I think there’s a growing movement toward flat-rate selling costs, vs the commission structure that’s been the norm.

Agreed. I see all that eroding soon. Just need the right disruptor at the right time. Another failure or two from the OpenDoors or Zillows of the world and they will figure out the model and prevail.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
So I still watch the Reno/Sparks RE market and receive regular updates from my realtor friend there. Median home price at the peak in May 2022 was 615K; today (January so far) it is $510K. That is about a 17% drop. Considering prices were up 40+ % from 2018, I wouldn't call it a crash, but it certainly is a significant drop. I'd like to see price per sq/ft numbers.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
So I still watch the Reno/Sparks RE market and receive regular updates from my realtor friend there. Median home price at the peak in May 2022 was 615K; today (January so far) it is $510K. That is about a 17% drop. Considering prices were up 40+ % from 2018, I wouldn't call it a crash, but it certainly is a significant drop. I'd like to see price per sq/ft numbers.
I lived in Sparks during the crash, my home in Spanish Springs went from 430k at the peak down to 200k at the lowest. I sold in 2016 for 380k, I paid 213k in 01, so I did just fine. These current corrections are not even close to 08-10, fingers crossed.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Factor in 4-5 yrs of inflation with the 17% drop and its close to where it should be under normal times

petie6464

Reaction score
The cost of selling a property and moving is ridiculous.

Neighbors cabin in flagstaff sold this week. The closing costs are close to $50k. Limited supply in the area is driving up prices.

When I’m ready to sell, the buyers going to pay all closing costs. 😉
Or just sick a for sale sign in your yard and sell it yourself and pocket the 50k.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
25705E7C-538D-41F9-BE80-AEF84BD6818E.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Havasu for sale inventory dropping a pretty good amount recently down to 350-60 range

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Curious , and maybe I missed any talk of of this in this longgggggg thread. Az SB 1168 which was passed in Az I think in late fall which gave cities now the ability to manage short term rentals.

I recall a local uproar to Havasu’s city government about the weekend warriors and short term rentals a few years back. I believe at the time the city legally couldn’t do much. The city can now with this SB.

We haven’t gone through a boating season with this law in effect, and I doubt many have paid much attention.

Any thoughts on how this May effect future inventory. I can see some of the locals calling daily papering up busy Air Bnb properties leading to the possibility of a suspension or revocation of the permit you will need to have.

THE WIDGE

Reaction score
I’m just curious how firm havasu will be in registers to enforcement. I read license can be suspended or canceled with multiple violations within a year. I know there has to be neighbors that will start calling more frequently now the city has laws. We havnt gone through a spring/summer season yet.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think it’s still a little high
Everyone is listing high to see what offers they will get. Judging by the standard 3/2 houses in Havasu that have sold in the last 3 months, that pricing seems close and we are heading into warmer weather/higher prices relative to winter. That street does not have a view but is really quiet.

I'm wondering if that is a family or forced sale of some kind. Timetable seems really short since last sale.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Everyone is listing high to see what offers they will get. Judging by the standard 3/2 houses in Havasu that have sold in the last 3 months, that pricing seems close and we are heading into warmer weather/higher prices relative to winter. That street does not have a view but is really quiet.

I'm wondering if that is a family or forced sale of some kind. Timetable seems really short since last sale.
Panic sale?..... Bought with a shit rate thinking they would make an easy 100k and now that the market is falling I imagine renting it out won't pencil at 6.5%+.

Hard to say weird timeline for sure.

Dalton

Reaction score
0DFA37AC-DBF0-44C0-AE14-DA35870579BA.jpeg

There’s quite a few that were only held a year, I think a lot were overly optimistic airBNB’s.

The seller in 2022 will be the winner in this deal

0DFA37AC-DBF0-44C0-AE14-DA35870579BA.jpeg

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...ssage&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=txtshare

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Panic sale?..... Bought with a shit rate thinking they would make an easy 100k and now that the market is falling I imagine renting it out won't pencil at 6.5%+.

Maybe.. I mean who thought prices were going to continue their trajectory by last July?

That is going to be a quick $100k loss.

I was thinking divorce, death or something else is forcing the sale.

Maybe it was a rental.. but it was not a short term rental.

A little 1100 sqft 2/2 with a small drop in pool sold for $390 last March down the street from this one.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Could be a retired couple bought it, and then husband died, and grandma went to live near the grand children. It happens quite frequently here.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Could be a retired couple bought it, and then husband died, and grandma went to live near the grand children. It happens quite frequently here.
Grandma must have some extra $$$ lying around to be able to walk from that loss.

530RL

Reaction score
If this lawsuit that has been working its way through the courts is successful, it will change commission structure and incentives greatly.

Dalton

Reaction score
Grandma must have some extra $$$ lying around to be able to walk from that loss.

If they put 20% down at 449k their balance would be 360k roughly so they’re just trying to get out of it

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
There's only 25 homes for sale in my zip code. There were close to 50 a few months ago. Not much inventory out there right now and buyers are coming back into the market right now because rates dipped a bit. I think mortgage rates dip further after the FOMC fed rate decision today and that should push prices higher in areas with low inventories for the short term.

Cdog

Reaction score
We're definitely seeing the prices off their peaks here in Scottsdale/Phoenix but not a crash. Seems more likely the peak pricing was pie in the sky. Fools were paying that.

But now it's more fundamental buyers that need a home and are shopping for the right one. In the 1-2 million dollar range 2-300k price reduction before a buyer steps up is common. So you have to ask yourself if the inflated price was ever really the market or just a 1 or 2 property fluke based off of scarcity.

In the sub 600k market we're seeing 10-15% reductions off of the peak before buyers have interest. This market is affected the most since homes are more utility verses luxury features and buyers have less elasticity in their budgets.

Good news is we're starting to see the new agents that don't have much to offer drop. Sure they got lucky in the hot market but 2 years of less volume is taking its toll on those with less experience and limited value. Before you work with an agent. Look up their experience in the state department of real estate site. Licensed Brokers have more experience than sales agents in most cases.

On the commercial side I'm seeing a lot of cap rate deals that are not very attractive when you can make 1% less with the bank. Drive thru restaurants continue to be in high demand and permitting and construction is still slow and more expensive compared to 2019. So the reality of waiting on unknowns and opportunity cost is driving inflation here too.

Employment is strong and there are areas with massive corporate campuses being built that will drive demand in the coming years. This rate increase period might be looked back on 1-2 years from now as a blip in the radar.

In SoCal/OC people like Steven Thomas are on record saying no crash and the worst of the rate shock is behind us. I know my dad has several people hounding him to sell his home in Anaheim Hills for 2-300k more than Zillow says it's worth.

I've mentioned it before but we're in the peak of the wealthiest generation on earth retiring. They're sparking inflation by consuming what they want before they die. Barrett Jackson last week is a great example. Stats show their employment has been hard to fill once they leave sparking even more inflation. It appears more than likely we're not in for a crash landing but turbulence until we get into cleaner air.

Hearing a lot of "Marry the house, date the rate."

Last edited:

mbrown2

Reaction score
I’m just curious how firm havasu will be in registers to enforcement. I read license can be suspended or canceled with multiple violations within a year. I know there has to be neighbors that will start calling more frequently now the city has laws. We havnt gone through a spring/summer season yet.
Neighbors calling cops on STR's...sounds more like SoCal everyday...

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Neighbors calling cops on STR's...sounds more like SoCal everyday...
I would be very un happy if I lived next to a STR. The people that typically show up are there to party and won't respect the neighborhood like a full time resident imho.

One of the big reasons I chose st. george vs. dixie springs is they don't allow STR.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
I just got an ad today that one of the homes I'd been watching is now listed by the lender and in foreclosure. They still want a ridiculous amount of money, so I'm wondering if it's just a new marketing ploy. It was initially listed in July for $849K. Now it's in "foreclosure," and they want $799K.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I just got an ad today that one of the homes I'd been watching is now listed by the lender and in foreclosure. They still want a ridiculous amount of money, so I'm wondering if it's just a new marketing ploy. It was initially listed in July for $849K. Now it's in "foreclosure," and they want $799K.
When was the last time it sold/price?

mbrown2

Reaction score
I would be very un happy if I lived next to a STR. The people that typically show up are there to party and won't respect the neighborhood like a full time resident imho.

One of the big reasons I chose st. george vs. dixie springs is they don't allow STR.
Normally you know that before you move there....at least I would... If laws change while you live there to allow them... I totally get it. It just seems very California for folks to move to a very loosely governed place and all the sudden want to impose restrictions... I would rather have an STR kept nice next to me then a Meth-ican (This is not directed in anyway towards brown people (read METH))...who's landscaping can be mistaken for a yard sale...