WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Jeep wrangler 2/4 door school me

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Ok guys wife wants a wrangler to offroad. I know nothing about jeeps. I do know I don’t want leaf spring front suspension, what year did they start doing coil over? What is too many miles? I’m seeing a lot with salvaged titles, run or is that ok?

Trying to keep this under 15-17k

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
nothing wrong with a good tj,... all depends on what you wanna do with it... it's proven fact 1...won'r keep up with a rzr.... 2... won't ride as smooth as a rzr... 3 won't climb as good as a rzr....4... won't go on trails as good as a rzr won't get as good of fuel milage as a rzr.... but the jeep jk is the best to go to the mall....

2Driver

Reaction score
We’ve had about 8 or 9 from CJs to TJs to JK and JT. Prices for anything that is any good are stupid.

Im not sure $17K is going to get you much that would be reliable or that you would want. Personally I’d skip CJ and YJ and start at TJs they had EFI and coils. TJs debut in ‘97

If it’s going to be just a fun off roader, to me there is nothing better than a 2 door with a Bimini top and half doors or no doors. Thats jeeping.

sintax

Reaction score
nothing wrong with a good tj,... all depends on what you wanna do with it... it's proven fact 1...won'r keep up with a rzr.... 2... won't ride as smooth as a rzr... 3 won't climb as good as a rzr....4... won't go on trails as good as a rzr won't get as good of fuel milage as a rzr.... but the jeep jk is the best to go to the mall....

hysterical-laughter.gif

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What is the, jk, tj, yj, ky? Idk what any of that means I have a rzr and this is for the wife to cruise in while I go fast in the rzr

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

ok, but its better than a speed car still right?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
Jeep will go to the mall better than a SxS and you won’t eat or wear dust or get wet and you don’t need a helmet or ear protection. But a SXS will cost as much as a Jeep so there’s that 😁

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Jeep will go to the mall better than a SxS and you won’t eat or wear dust or get wet and you don’t need a helmet or ear protection. But a SXS will cost as much as a Jeep so there’s that 😁
you mean like swimming in a pool with a full wet suit on , and say'n look at me I didn't get wet...

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
CJ, YJ, TJ, JK,JL are generation codes for the Jeep Wrangler. All about 10 years apart. CJ’s are most like WWII Jeeps. YJ’s have the (bastard) rectangle headlights and last of the leaf springs. TJ’s, like Steve said, are the first of the coils and EFI motors. Up to 2004 all were short wheelbase 2 door, in 04 to 06 you have the TJ Unlimited model. It is a two door with a longer wheelbase. Also known as LJ’s.

The LJ is thought by many to be the best offroad for several reasons.

In 07 you start with the newer style JK’s. The 07 to 11 have the poor performing 3.8l motors - stay away from that motor! In 12 the motor changes to the 3.6l and is quite good.

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
Oh and, 2 Dr’s turn very well and don’t have the belly rub 4 dr’s do but climbing and descending steep areas are much easier in a 4dr.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
CJ, YJ, TJ, JK,JL are generation codes for the Jeep Wrangler. All about 10 years apart. CJ’s are most like WWII Jeeps. YJ’s have the (bastard) rectangle headlights and last of the leaf springs. TJ’s, like Steve said, are the first of the coils and EFI motors. Up to 2004 all were short wheelbase 2 door, in 04 to 06 you have the TJ Unlimited model. It is a two door with a longer wheelbase. Also known as LJ’s.

The LJ is thought by many to be the best offroad for several reasons.

In 07 you start with the newer style JK’s. The 07 to 11 have the poor performing 3.8l motors - stay away from that motor! In 12 the motor changes to the 3.6l and is quite good.

I prefer a CJ because of the pure simplicity of the beast.🤷‍♂️🇺🇸

C-2

Reaction score
I didn't know anything about Jeeps either and we bought a 14' JK with the 3.6 Pentastar motor because I read the 3.6 was a solid platform. What I missed was NOT ALL OF THEM!

We bought it with 50K and it was in immaculate condition; we never understood why anybody traded it in...until rockers started failing. Jeep put crappy rockers in them. So $6K in repair bills later, and a rocker/rockers are tapping again (4th time).

Do your research if you're looking at one with a 3.6.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Do you want a real Jeep or a Mall Crawler with off road capability?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Do you want a real Jeep or a Mall Crawler with off road capability?
This is for the wife to cruise on sand highway and maybe some mountain roads for the family

JD D05

Reaction score
I didn't know anything about Jeeps either and we bought a 14' JK with the 3.6 Pentastar motor because I read the 3.6 was a solid platform. What I missed was NOT ALL OF THEM!

We bought it with 50K and it was in immaculate condition; we never understood why anybody traded it in...until rockers started failing. Jeep put crappy rockers in them. So $6K in repair bills later, and a rocker/rockers are tapping again (4th time).

Do your research if you're looking at one with a 3.6.
Mine went out at 38k on a 2022 Glad. Under warranty but now I'm not sure what to do because I planned on keeping it.

• Wow
Reactions: C-2

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Honestly i would stick with a TJ or JK/JKU, if you can get a TJ unlimited aka LJ that would be the cats ass. Its a longer wheel base 2 door wrangler. So you have a decent rear storage area. Also i think the TJ still had the in-line 6 cylinder. Which i dont think was plagued with the problems of the V6 they changed to.

3.8L and 3.6L motors are junk. Honestly one should consider LS swapping it once you lose a rocker. Its really not as expensive as you think, if you stay on the lower c.i.d. end. The change over can be as simple as plug and play or it can be custom done and require a bit more thought.

You need to watch oil level on these v6 motors like an old car. They burn it or lose it somewhere. Educate the wife about death wobble.

Rubicon has the best off road package obviously 4:1 ratio transfer case, dana 44 with 4:10 and e lockers, and electric sway bar disconnects i believe. But dont be fooled a stock wrangler sport is very capable as well.

Good luck with your search. If you have access to Facebook marketplace there seems to be a few TJs for sale in your price range.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Doing some more research I want a 2012 or newer for the more hp and longer wheel base.

Any problem years early like that?

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Doing some more research I want a 2012 or newer for the more hp and longer wheel base.

Any problem years early like that?

You'll likely have a tough time finding anything in that year range in decent condition with a budget of sub $15-$17K.

You could find a TJ and MAYBE an LJ in good shape for that price though.

Ducksquasher

Reaction score
Holy cow...I am interested in these, as well. All of these TJ, LJ, "ABC"' are confusing as hell? We need a chart that breaks down the years and models to figure out what to stay away from? Where is that on the interwebs?

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Not that I'm any expert, but in my opinion, a 6 cylinder 2004 TJ Rubicon with Dana 44's is the best all around Jeep made today. Easy to work on, parts are readily available, makes great "tow behinds", and work great for launching boats.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Holy cow...I am interested in these, as well. All of these TJ, LJ, "ABC"' are confusing as hell? We need a chart that breaks down the years and models to figure out what to stay away from? Where is that on the interwebs?
thats is what i am trying to find. best i have found is here? but it doesnt say YJ<TJ,BJ<KY

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Not that I'm any expert, but in my opinion, a 6 cylinder 2004 TJ Rubicon with Dana 44's is the best all around Jeep made today. Easy to work on, parts are readily available, makes great "tow behinds", and work great for launching boats.
is that the inline 4.0 liter?

does that motor, tranny have problems?

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
is that the inline 4.0 liter?

does that motor, tranny have problems?

There's not a whole lot to be worried about with the 4.0 motor.

Various years had some relatively minor issues but those are well documented and can be addressed.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score

Can't disagree with any of that.
Well maybe a 2006.😁
For the money, they are hard to go wrong with.

IMG_20230206_102752938_HDR.jpg

240Hallett

Reaction score
Will you/she be driving it to the trails or trailering it?

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Ted (LHC30) Broke down the generations pretty good above.

The 4.0 I6 in the TJ/LJ are good motors and very hard to kill. They don't make a ton of power but decent tq and run for ever. The 3 speed auto is ok. If you plan to rock crawl avoid the manual.

Built/Stretched LJ might be the best thing you can build to rock crawl but they cost a fortune stock and you will be 20K into the build easy.

IMO the basic Jeep went away with the TJ/LJ generation. They started to get bigger and include more creature comforts with the JK platform. The JL platform came in 2018 and is even nicer.

Personally I wouldn't own a tj they are small don't hold squat have a very small back seat and are squirrely when lifted. Yes people love them and shit on the newer jeeps but the stuff i have done in a JK/JL with the extended wheelbase is a cheat code. 3.5" lift and 35"+ tires and they go anywhere and can still get the wife to the mall in comfort.

I don't understand how you will get the rzr and jeep to glamis? Is the plan to have the wife drive a jeep 4+ hours every trip? If so she is going to absolutely hate anything less than a jk 4 door.Jeeps are a great 3rd car or around town vehicle they kind of suck on long distance trips especially when you build them.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Yea the wife will drive this to Glamis while I tow the toy hauler. If we go wheeling in the jeep I’ll drive the local mountain trails. This will need to have mild off road capabilities. It will be the wife’s “toy” while I have the rzr

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Yea the wife will drive this to Glamis while I tow the toy hauler. If we go wheeling in the jeep I’ll drive the local mountain trails. This will need to have mild off road capabilities. It will be the wife’s “toy” while I have the rzr

Cole Trickle is right about the TJ losing it's fun factor on long highway trips but I don't hate it.

My wife drove our TJ out to Glamis while I hauled the 5th wheel a couple times but we found we just didn't use the Jeep much out there. Still was fun to cruise around in it in the small dunes though.

I wouldn't overthink the whole deal and stick with a lower cost TJ until you decide whether or not it's something you enjoy.
You can pick one up, put 20-30K miles on it and sell it for near the same $ if it's not what she wants.
You can, and will, upgrade the Jeep if you like it.