WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
At this point, once Speed works out all the mechanical bugs and the logistics of getting them shipped, they will be the best sxs’s on the market. Obviously under the current microscope, they are getting their asses kicked.

All this is shit everyone here already knows. Everything else in this thread is just a circle jerk of nutswingers and haters. Which side can out shit talk the other side.

daytona man

Reaction score
At this point, once Speed works out all the mechanical bugs and the logistics of getting them shipped, they will be the best sxs’s on the market. Obviously under the current microscope, they are getting their asses kicked.

All this is shit everyone here already knows. Everything else in this thread is just a circle jerk of nutswingers and haters. Which side can out shit talk the other side.
Sorry but RG is the biggest shit talker ! I'm not a hater and would like to see him succeed , He needs to quit flapping his jaw and take care of what he needs to do !

Singleton

Reaction score

Brad Smith was CEO when I was ant Intuit. One of the statements he made that has stuck with me since those days = I am not worried about the big guys we are competing against. I am worried about the little guy that is nimble and innovative that keeps getting bigger and bigger in my rear view mirror.

Same could be said about Speed, but with a twist. Speed is so focused on the big competitors and those current models, they are not focused on what is coming next. Speed has been very public about the design and with the continued delays. What is behind them, are the next versions of CanAm and Polaris that have been in the works for 2-3 years. 100% think both companies have looked at what Speed has released and modified designs. While those new models will not be released for 2-3 years, Speed is not being nimble currently.

Hindsight being 20/20, Speed should be been selling deposits for versions. First 250 get v1, next 500 get v2, etc. Then you figure out how to upgrade v1 to newest version with minimal expense to the customer. Trying to release ’the perfect car‘ is limiting how nimble and innovative Speed can be. Speed still has an advantage IMO, if they can get back to being nimble and innovative. Right now perception and reality is causing speed PR issues.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Watching that vid, they have a Whole lot of things to work out! 😱

Hopefully the rings that didn't seal were just an isolated incident...

I feel bad for team Speed. Gotta be frustrating as Fuck. 😔

DWC

Reaction score
Don’t think I’m a nut swinger and I’m absolutely not a hater. I hope Speed is able to work out their kinks sooner rather than later. Looking forward to riding in @LargeOrangeFont ’s when he takes delivery. I just don’t see it happening anytime in the near future. Speed isn’t some small, nimble company as long as they’re partnered with Hisun. They’re more like Shelby and his partnership with big auto. They come up with designs and dig into the parts bins to finalize the product. At this point it’s looking more like the Shelby Charger than the Cobra. I don’t know if Hisun has proven high performance powertrain/parts sitting around but the parts they’ve bolted in seem to keep failing one after the other.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I just got back from the Havasu shop, the cars look very impressive and high quality. When you look at the details, the quality really stands out. After seeing the cars, I’m sure once the initial bugs are out they will be bad ass. I’m in the 2000’s, I gotta believe they will have the initial kinks worked out.

S

Sand Shark

I have no skin in the game, and I wish nothing but the best to all involved. Also, I think a lot of the criticism is just keyboard warrior stuff. However, I have to agree with everything PaPaG said. Bad-mouthing competition will always backfire, and expanding product lines too quickly is a common mistake made by unseasoned entrepreneurs. Hey, I watch Shark Tank, LOL.

Seriously though, when I owned a manufacturing business if it got back to us that sales reps had disparaged a competitor, it resulted in a reprimand, and I even called the competitor and the customer to apologize. That doesn’t mean you can’t show how well made your own product is. Keep it positive!

Also, we did everything we could to avoid being pushed into offering a product that complicated our production. You can’t make money if you’re fumbling around. Yeah, sometimes you have to stretch, but not when you’re starting out, and not unless the potential reward exceeds the risk.

It appears Speed management hasn’t yet learned how important these points are. Well, maybe they have by now, and it’s just difficult to quickly unwind.
I’ll admit it I have said the same thing that Robby running his mount and talking crap about the competition is what got so many people fired up to hate the Speed UTV. I talked crap about the Speed UTV and really don’t keep up with it because I’m a fan boy for Can Am. But I got called out to show when Robby actually talked crap about the competition. To prove I was right I tried to go back and I could not really find anything in his videos. Yes he has an attitude to prove Polaris & Arctic Cat were wrong with him. He definitely thinks what he has is superior, to everyone else. But what designer or company does not think they make a better product? Elon Musk has tons of attitude and I like him. But in most cases Robbys talking crap was merely comparing what he’s doing vs Polaris and why his is better. The only thing I could find was when he threatened his own customers about cancelling their orders. Bad move on his part. But I think he had Covid at the time and I’m sure he was stressed out. Covid butt F’ed me over too! I think myself and others like what we have, and are brand loyal too. When Robby or his loyalist try to say what they have is going to better we get defensive. I know I did, and I liked to stir the crap talk too. I still think my X3 will rail the dunes better then the Speed car ever will.

stonehenge

Reaction score
I find this post/pic kinda sad. The nutt swingers will pawn it off as humor. But most social media folks have no idea he was a DNF, so to post this is a smack in the face to the real racers who actual belong on the podium.

Plus it was a waste of crappy champagne or sparkling apple juice.

Either way, it was totally staged and purposely deceitful, but par for the course with RWG
dnf.jpeg

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
I find this post/pic kinda sad. The nutt swingers will pawn it off as humor. But most social media folks have no idea he was a DNF, so to post this is a smack in the face to the real racers who actual belong on the podium.

Plus it was a waste of crappy champagne or sparkling apple juice.

Either way, it was totally staged and purposely deceitful, but par for the course with RWG
View attachment 1209338
Every finisher at the Mint crosses the podium.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Didn't read the most current stuff, but are cars being delivered yet? any more cars since the first 10 showed up a while ago?

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
Finisher, riiiight.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, its a duck.

Does every finisher stage a champagne celebration pic and post it on social media? Asking for a friend.
I've finished 4th, crossed that podium and popped a beer, and posted it on my social media, so let your friend know.

I've also, finished 2nd, and not popped a beer or champagne. And, I've finished 2nd, and got bored waiting in line, opened up a fence section and bailed the line and podium all together.

stonehenge

Reaction score
I've finished 4th, crossed that podium and popped a beer, and posted it on my social media, so let your friend know.

I've also, finished 2nd, and not popped a beer or champagne. And, I've finished 2nd, and got bored waiting in line, opened up a fence section and bailed the line and podium all together.
Good to know, so I assume you are not forced at gun point to drive up on the stage and take pictures and post them?

McCredie A

Reaction score

I believe he crossed the finish line after the time limit. Wouldn't that be a DNF?

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Is this like every kid gets a trophy?

This is how desert racing is done. It's done this way at KOH, SCORE, and BITD races. Every finisher drives up on the finishing stage for pictures. At KOH, every driver gets interviewed. It's also this way at BITD, at least is was when Casey was still alive. I haven't been to a BITD race since he passed away.

However, I agree RG's post is not quite honest, since it's my understanding that Max DNF'd after coming in well after the race was over.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
The post says "Finished 8th place" It does not say, "Max got 8th place" The post is technically true, they were the 8th car to cross the finish line.

People read too much into this shit, just looking for any reason to be a hater.

FWIW, the Mint uses a "grand prix" style finish. There is technically not a time limit on the course.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
The post says "Finished 8th place" It does not say, "Max got 8th place" The post is technically true, they were the 8th car to cross the finish line.
Sure. Semantics. Just understand that some people will have a different opinion of the word use than you do.

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Sure. Semantics. Just understand that some people will have a different opinion of the word use than you do.
Couldn’t agree more. He might have come in 8th. But he didn’t finish. Which is imho is a DNF. And the picture is BS. Unless there was a bit of sarcasm that supposed go along with it.

Singleton

Reaction score

People read too much into this shit, just looking for any reason to be a hater.

FWIW, the Mint uses a "grand prix" style finish. There is technically not a time limit on the course.

When I reviewed the results they were 8th place, but showed only 3 laps completed when the time window closed.

Stretching the truth is how I took the post they made. We all do it, Speed just stretches it more than most IMO.

Boatymcboatface

Reaction score
Maybe you guys should make a mint 400 results thread?

I’m all for poking a little fun at the process but man it’s getting a little to annoying even for me and I can sit through a jersey shore marathon!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

You homos should probably look at this link before you embarrass yourselves any further! 🤣

And I'm gonna say this...

I didn't have a clue that Max is Mr Gordon's son. I'm gonna guess that racing with your kid behind the wheel has to outweigh Any possible thing that could have gone wrong.

That's cool as Fuck in my book. 👍🏼👍🏼

Signed,

- Still waiting for the Nexflix documentary. The Kardashians got nuthin on this story! 😁

Albacore

Reaction score
I got a wonder how many tries it took at the mint 400 for a Polaris to cross the finish line even if it was after the official time. I used to watch them in Baja and they never made it past the 50 mile mark in the first couple years. Mostly privateer teams but I helped even towing one out of the river bed at the start of the 500. I remember that period very clearly. It was back in my motorcycle days racing at plaster city District 38. Before the Polaris as they call them desert lights. And mostly Honda Odyssey‘s single seater. I can’t tell you how many of those things we flip back over and put out fires on. I will agree Robby talks a lot but that ain’t gonna change.

stonehenge

Reaction score
I got a wonder how many tries it took at the mint 400 for a Polaris to cross the finish line even if it was after the official time. I used to watch them in Baja and they never made it past the 50 mile mark in the first couple years. Mostly privateer teams but I helped even towing one out of the river bed at the start of the 500. I remember that period very clearly. It was back in my motorcycle days racing at plaster city District 38. Before the Polaris as they call them desert lights. And mostly Honda Odyssey‘s single seater. I can’t tell you how many of those things we flip back over and put out fires on. I will agree Robby talks a lot but that ain’t gonna change.
This is a good point, however back when gayzers couldn't cross the finish line their CEO wasn't slinging it as "100% race ready" and their CEO wasn't a world famous off road racer, and their CEO wasn't threating the customer base, and their CEO wasn't trash talking all the competition, and they weren't taking deposits and not delivering for several years after the promised date.

Just saying.

dirtslinger2

Reaction score
This is a good point, however back when gayzers couldn't cross the finish line their CEO wasn't slinging it as "100% race ready" and their CEO wasn't a world famous off road racer, and their CEO wasn't threating the customer base, and their CEO wasn't trash talking all the competition, and they weren't taking deposits and not delivering for several years after the promised date.

Just saying.
This whole Speed UTV, really has you triggered. I feel bad for you

sirbob

Reaction score
Admittedly I haven’t read all this or kept close tabs in this whole process of building and delivering a new car…

And with trying not to start a bunch of bs answers - what is keeping the company from letting people take their cars if they have “delivered” them to the new owners?

Is this still about CARB or something else?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I haven't been keeping up on this, have any more cars arrived stateside besides the first shipment to Havasu?
No
Admittedly I haven’t read all this or kept close tabs in this whole process of building and delivering a new car…

And with trying not to start a bunch of bs answers - what is keeping the company from letting people take their cars if they have “delivered” them to the new owners?

transmission

outboard_256

Reaction score

They found an issue with the trans. Robby is testing the gen 3 trans this week at the hammers.

ZSTIV

Reaction score
They found an issue with the trans. Robby is testing the gen 3 trans this week at the hammers.

Bandit looks good, he said that if it finishes a lap of KOH today he will greenlight it. So far so good!

S

Sand Shark

Just saying.
Show me where the Speed car is advertised as 100% race ready? I bet you can’t? Also
I took the bet when I was saying Robby was trash talking the competition. To be honest I could not find one time. Yes he compares his car to Polaris and shows what he calls Polaris design flaws, but in all honesty that’s not talking crap or sh!tying on the competition. That’s just a personal opinion comparison. All the brands have compared their products to another brand. I’m in legal and if Robby was slandering another manufacturer or it’s people, they would be suing him ASAP to take him down. Arctic Cat & Polaris would love nothing more than to sue him and get some of their money back. They have on staff legal just waiting to jump on things like this. Just saying!

S

Sand Shark

Nice try! That is the hand built race car you can special order, that’s not the production car that people have deposits on. Totally different car.

Notice it says carbon fiber fuel cell, carbon body, door bars, fully welded cage, aluminum firewall and roof. These are not production parts or a production car. That’s a hand built race car from their North Carolina shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Nice try! That is the hand built race car you can special order, that’s not the production car that people have deposits on. Totally different car.

Notice it says carbon fiber fuel cell, carbon body, door bars, fully welded cage, aluminum firewall and roof. These are not production parts or a production car. That’s a hand built race car from their North Carolina shop.

I was just going to quote him that maybe he’s confusing the production cars with the actual race ready cars that are completely separate from what this thread is supposed to be about.

These are the misconceptions that create the useless back and forth noise in the comment sections of social media.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I’ll admit it I have said the same thing that Robby running his mount and talking crap about the competition is what got so many people fired up to hate the Speed UTV. I talked crap about the Speed UTV and really don’t keep up with it because I’m a fan boy for Can Am. But I got called out to show when Robby actually talked crap about the competition. To prove I was right I tried to go back and I could not really find anything in his videos. Yes he has an attitude to prove Polaris & Arctic Cat were wrong with him. He definitely thinks what he has is superior, to everyone else. But what designer or company does not think they make a better product? Elon Musk has tons of attitude and I like him. But in most cases Robbys talking crap was merely comparing what he’s doing vs Polaris and why his is better. The only thing I could find was when he threatened his own customers about cancelling their orders. Bad move on his part. But I think he had Covid at the time and I’m sure he was stressed out. Covid butt F’ed me over too! I think myself and others like what we have, and are brand loyal too. When Robby or his loyalist try to say what they have is going to better we get defensive. I know I did, and I liked to stir the crap talk too. I still think my X3 will rail the dunes better then the Speed car ever will.

Yeah i've kept hearing people say "hes running his mouth" but i have never seen anyone post him actually running his mouth. I mean if he is doing it so often and for so lonng there has to be video of it....

Albacore

Reaction score

Just saying.
I agree and I am a ticket holder I have a deposit on the Diablo and with all that said I have an investment in this be it $1500 down payment or whatever none of that bothers me. I would not have bought this car if I had not seen the shows and seen the development and saw what I eventually was going to get. I have owned many off-road vehicles and boats dozens of each. I even bought somewhat of a roller for the one that I now drive and finished it all myself including welding and fabrication. I know what it takes to build something solid. When I look at a Can-Am, Polaris or a Kawasaki without any plastic on it I don’t see a quality cage and other things that are important to me. Do I wish he had no problems and won every race he’s been in so far yes, did I ever think that was going to happen not even close. So I go back to the comparison of the product and not his way of getting his point across verbally. To me in the end the car will talk for itself everything else will not matter. If you were born today and bought a car tomorrow that is all you know and that is what you will base your opinion on not all the BS that everybody talks about.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
This will make things more interesting I'm guessing.
San Felipe 250 will be fun.

If I remember correctly 702sandman had been hinting at something to come from Polaris.