WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pull a Permit get Property Tax Reassessment?

Orange Juice

Reaction score
How will this work out .
Pull a permit 30 years ago for a patio cover.
Now you take the patio cover down 30 year later .
Will the tax assessment go down if you tell them. ??
If you take patio cover down, you’ll need a permit, which will trigger a reassessment. 😉

Backlash

Reaction score
So, what you're saying is, only buy $399 worth of maple at a time....for my woodworking hobby of course.....and then build one small wooden box at a time..... 👍🤣

evantwheeler

Reaction score
I live in SoCal. I asked this very question to the 3 solar companies I was looking to get bids from. They all said property taxes wouldn’t go up due to Active Solar Energy Tax Exclusion. I believe the incentive runs until Jan. 1, 2025.
So what happens in 2025, everyone starts getting a tax bill for solar improvements that they did 10-15 years ago? Or only the new construction after that point, assuming the program isnt extended?

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
My understanding of the rule is only the value of the improvement is reassessed.

Also keep in mind the assess value of your home in California goes up each year regardless by the prop 13 amount. In some places this can look substantial

SPFRONTMAN

Reaction score
I was talking to a co-worker yesterday. He said put solar on his house last year thinking he would end up saving money in the long run on electricity. When the permit was pulled, he said the county re-assessed his property taxes to current market value and it jacked his property taxes up a couple thousand a year, wiping out any savings from the solar, and ultimately costing him money versus not doing anything at all and continuing on life as usual without solar. He is in Riverside County. I didn't ask to see copies of his tax bill and I guess I could look it up online if I really wanted to be a snoop and fact check his story. It sounds a bit of a stretch to me for his taxes to get raised that much merely by adding solar.

I am curious what others experience has been with this? Lets say you pull a permit for a new septic tank, is the property going to be re-assessed at current value for tax purposes? I've never pulled a permit, just trying to learn the ins and outs of property/home ownership.

For someone like @SoCalDave doing his remodel, will the whole property be re-assessed at current market value, or will the tax assessment only increase by the amount of the "value add" by the addition? I suspect his taxes are quite low relative to others in the neighborhood due to how long he has owned his home. Would be an eye opener to receive a tax adjustment bill and pay new yearly tax nut for improving your property.
Anytime you pull a permit for solar, re-model, pool especially asking for a loan against your house thru a bank, YUP, tax reassessment. It just depends when you purchased your home, what the value was then to compared with current. Now if you've just purchased your home say during the upturn of the housing market when people were getting way over list price and future home buyers were bidding against each other, you bought at the high end. Compared to the market now, you can have your property reassessed and most likely it will be valued less and you can have your property tax reassessed to have your property tax lowered.

evantwheeler

Reaction score
Anytime you pull a permit for solar, re-model, pool especially asking for a loan against your house thru a bank, YUP, tax reassessment. It just depends when you purchased your home, what the value was then to compared with current. Now if you've just purchased your home say during the upturn of the housing market when people were getting way over list price and future home buyers were bidding against each other, you bought at the high end. Compared to the market now, you can have your property reassessed and most likely it will be valued less and you can have your property tax reassessed to have your property tax lowered.
It is still not clear to me what is reassessed during this process. When a permit is pulled, are your taxes completely reassessed based on equity gained on the entire property plus value of improvements, or is the reassessment only adding in the value of the improvements to your current tax valuations?

NicPaus

Reaction score
It is still not clear to me what is reassessed during this process. When a permit is pulled, are your taxes completely reassessed based on equity gained on the entire property plus value of improvements, or is the reassessment only adding in the value of the improvements to your current tax valuations?
My guess is assessor gets notifications from permit pulled. They go after the improvement amount. And in some cases realize it has not been re assessed since purchase. Then go for the 2% for every year since purchase plus improvement. So the one I mentioned it had been 40 years since purchased. Raise it 80% plus the 250k evaluation on permit.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I've done a couple threads on this through the years,.. so I will explain once more.... in havasu they can only raise your tax 5% per year.... they will appraise it almost yearly..... so say the value doubles..... long as you don't do anything to the house it stays at the lower tax due....so say you bought the home for 180k... few years later the value doubles...if you sell, the new owner will get assesed on the higher value... say you add a pool, same thing,... they can raise your tax to the new appraised value...

NicPaus

Reaction score
I've done a couple threads on this through the years,.. so I will explain once more.... in havasu they can only raise your tax 5% per year.... they will appraise it almost yearly..... so say the value doubles..... long as you don't do anything to the house it stays at the lower tax due....so say you bought the home for 180k... few years later the value doubles...if you sell, the new owner will get assesed on the higher value... say you add a pool, same thing,... they can raise your tax to the new appraised value...
Can they raise it 50% if they have not raised it in 10 years if you pull a permit for work?

boatpi

Reaction score
Just a thought as to pergola. Our material and posts are the strongest in the industry. What some have done, is use our posts and beams/framework for the framework for a non-roof solar panels. This is big on MFG homes, or a carport, as long as it is the support for a solar panel system, the entire costs get the 30% solar tax credit.

I would think that a carport in any area, WITH solar on top would work too, no assessment as it is the framework for the solar system. Just an angle.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Can they raise it 50% if they have not raised it in 10 years if you pull a permit for work?
yes, the moratorium law is that they can't raise the tax just because the value went up to help seniors ... but soon as anything changes they can.... some people have lived in their homes 20 plus years,... taxes are 350, now someone buys the home and it goes to 1800..... when the crunch hit,.... most people had their homes re appraised to lower the taxes,...so it goes both ways...

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
That costco pergola is looking better and better to me......
When I re-pour my backyard patio which already exists, I'm placing two 16'ers side by side and bolting them down without them touching the house.

If someone complains and triggers the city who automatically triggers the county I'm not dealing with an attached to structure assessment.

Would they access them anyway? Possibly at some kind of hardscape rate of value or perhaps just the Costco receipts.

Yldboyz

Reaction score
Good call, what the worst that can happen if you get caught replacing your roof... the inspector makes you pull the permit.
That's why when I was putting my new roof on and the roofer asked me if I wanted to pull a permit, I told him no. Fuck that.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Good call, what the worst that can happen if you get caught replacing your roof... the inspector makes you pull the permit.
Tear it off so he can see wood condition. Roofing inspection is after tear off before new roof goes on. Had to tear one off many years ago.