WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell Water Level

cofooter

Reaction score
Anyone have a guess how far Powell going to rise this year?

Currently at 3539. Up 13 feet for the year.

I think its going to go up another 90 feet to 3629 or 71 feet from full pool.

Here is the official prediction. With all the moisture we're getting this spring in the Rockies, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to the best case scenario which is 3615!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, today’s new level report is where we were last July when the AP valet ramp closed.
The level has been coming up about 1 foot per day for the last week and is expected to do more than that in the next several weeks.
Things are going to look really different again for this years trips. 👍
I hope the predictions are right, saying up to 90’ of gain from the recent low level will get us well over 3600 🙏🏆

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
5 more feet or about 4 more days and Wahweep main launch will start getting traffic. That will keep a lot of traffic off of stateline auxiliary which helps me a lot!

40 more feet and we are starting to talk about the cut getting traffic… after that I am not sure it really matters much.

Now… my Achilles heel will be fuel not more lake water

77charger

Reaction score
I’ve said from beginning it will get to 3580 at minimum gets more than that it’s a bonus. Luckily I know more than a few spots where water is at certain levels it’s cool to check out or they have certain features. 3620 I like.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Been looking good. To have multiple launch ramps open and even the cut it will be nice. Fuel is going to be the next hurdle.

I think 80' im gonna play my odds in the middle. Haha

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
After being there last year for the first time when we picked up our boat I am excited to hear of the increase in level as it will almost be a differnt lake when we get back there. I hope that we can get there this year…..

77charger

Reaction score
5 more feet or about 4 more days and Wahweep main launch will start getting traffic. That will keep a lot of traffic off of stateline auxiliary which helps me a lot!

40 more feet and we are starting to talk about the cut getting traffic… after that I am not sure it really matters much.

Now… my Achilles heel will be fuel not more lake water
I’ve rarely carried extra fuel since I was able to get some on water. My boat can go a long ways on 36-36 gallons and a 5.7 21ft boat but I topped off to be on safe side. If I do longer trips I may take an extra can I know I can do lone rock to escalate pretty easily though.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I’ve said from beginning it will get to 3580 at minimum gets more than that it’s a bonus. Luckily I know more than a few spots where water is at certain levels it’s cool to check out or they have certain features. 3620 I like.

The crazy part is the the sand and beaches have been totally transformed. I went up to oak canyon in November. Oak canyon was a huge area of beaches that would hold 2 dozen houseboats. All the sand is gone, it got washed down below the water at the lowest lake level. So the hunt for new beaches will be interesting. I have been pre running in April but I think I was marking new spots that will be underwater soon! Haha

77charger

Reaction score
The crazy pet is the the sand and beaches have been totally transformed. I went up to oak canyon in November. Oak canyon was a huge area of beaches that would hold 2 dozen houseboats. All the sand is gone, it got washed down below the water at the lowest lake level. So the hunt for new beaches will be interesting. I have been pre running in Aprlnbut I think I was marking new spots that will be underwater soon! Haha
I won’t be making it til late July august though. Nice being in Phx now half the drive vs ca. can do a weekend easy I plan to boat camp this summer.

Singleton

Reaction score
Due to BS water Mgmt policies, I am hoping for 50’
It should be more, closer to 80-90’, but someone will do something and the water will be lost :(

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
The crazy part is the the sand and beaches have been totally transformed. I went up to oak canyon in November. Oak canyon was a huge area of beaches that would hold 2 dozen houseboats. All the sand is gone, it got washed down below the water at the lowest lake level. So the hunt for new beaches will be interesting. I have been pre running in April but I think I was marking new spots that will be underwater soon! Haha

Oak Canyon is my go-to location.
Great access to the rest of the lake and fewer people.
Last year being the lowest level ever was tough. There was only 2 feasible spots to anchor up.

Even where I set up I had to double, end to end, the stern anchor lines to get any grip. You can see it in this pic.

It's not going to be much easier this season but there will be more choices for spots.

I have 2 large fuel tanks on the top deck that I can use to run the little boat for a week or so and then drain the rest down into the house boat tanks to get back to Wahweap.

Without Dangling Rope, it takes pretty much all the fuel I have to do it.
IMG_20220530_090638223.jpg

FreeBird236

Reaction score
It's all going to Mead sooner or later, hope you guys get the levels you want this summer in Powell before they start dumping it to Mead. Should be an improvement for both lakes and hope for a repeat next year.👍

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Last year being the lowest level ever was tough. There was only 2 feasible spots to anchor up.

Even where I set up I had to double, end to end, the stern anchor lines to get any grip. You can see it in this pic.

It's not going to be much easier this season but there will be more choices for spots.

I have 2 large fuel tanks on the top deck that I can use to run the little boat for a week or so and then drain the rest down into the house boat tanks to get back to Wahweap.

Without Dangling Rope, it takes pretty much all the fuel I have to do it. View attachment 1231151

I was able to squeeze back a little farther into Oak canyon and I only need about 15 feet of sand. Oak is a far as I can go and 4-5 days is my comfort zone with generator fuel and reserves.

With the water level low and a lot more beaches I got spoiled with beaching the boat. But I can go back to higher water levels and just swing on the anchor overnight! With the water rising a foot a day I will probably just go to the back of canyons and push the down button on the windlass and call it good!

IMG_2224.jpeg
IMG_2219.jpeg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score

Without Dangling Rope, it takes pretty much all the fuel I have to do it. View attachment 1231151
Ahhh now i know who the maniac behind the helm is on that houseboat. 😂 Jk

How often do you get up to Powell lunatic?

TVMNick

Reaction score
3585 - 3625 are my favorite lake levels, I'd love to see it go above 3600. With the additional release this year (9.23MAF projected) that will sluff some water off over the original projection of 7.5MAF. It was cool exploring the lake at the really low levels but I'm over it, I'm ready for the lake to get back up around 3600'.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Due to BS water Mgmt policies, I am hoping for 50’
It should be more, closer to 80-90’, but someone will do something and the water will be lost :(

That's what I'm thinking as well - I hope that they manage the water and keep the lake level up.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
We need to make a thread for those of us going this year to post up pics of boats so we can recognize each other up there. (If you so wish to be).

Or maybe even talk to River Dave about adding in a section for lake Powell where we can discuss lake water levels. What areas might be good for camping/beaching Houseboating tips/tricks camp spots camp gear for those who tent camp.

Kind of sucks when you have to sort through threads from 10 years ago. Not that the information isnt valuable in those threads it just isnt quick to find.

Would anyone else like to see an area in the forum list dedicated to Powell?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I just looked at some current photos on Instagram and Lone Rock is about to be lonely again.

When we rented a basic House Boat for our honeymoon back in 1996 that thing was near full pool. We tied my Reinell to the house boat right in front of that rock and it was not showing any water marks. We towed the boat from there.

We motored up to last chance bay and down like 7 fingers to find anything to land on. A ton of stories on that trip and the only time I have been to Powell.

Hammer

Reaction score
We need to make a thread for those of us going this year to post up pics of boats so we can recognize each other up there. (If you so wish to be).

Or maybe even talk to River Dave about adding in a section for lake Powell where we can discuss lake water levels. What areas might be good for camping/beaching Houseboating tips/tricks camp spots camp gear for those who tent camp.

Kind of sucks when you have to sort through threads from 10 years ago. Not that the information isnt valuable in those threads it just isnt quick to find.

Lets keep this thread going then, I will be out there for the first time in my life from June 10th-June 16th... Staying at the Wahweap Marina. Bringing my 30' Hallett

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Lets keep this thread going then, I will be out there for the first time in my life from June 10th-June 16th... Staying at the Wahweap Marina. Bringing my 30' Hallett
I will too!! Not sure where i will be camped but you are more than welcome to come stop by.

Im up there over every holiday weekend for atleast 4 days starting memorial day.

Here is my boat

AC6R7469~3.jpg

Hammer

Reaction score
I will too!! Not sure where i will be camped but you are more than welcome to come stop by.

Im up there over every holiday weekend for atleast 4 days starting memorial day.

Here is my boat

View attachment 1231192

Here is mine.... Hopefully we can meet up, as I mentioned I have never been so I'm looking forward to exploring the lake.
6375347_0_210920170400_2.jpg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I am also usually camped with this guy! My father in law Scott, i couldn't repay this man for all the knowledge hes given to me. His houseboat is livin' easy.

At wahweap his back patio faces the no wake so if you see the advantage tied up on the back hes around or tell him hes not a good house painter!

He also has a half cab fishing boat called brown sugar.
IMG_20220806_140121752_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220704_113319779_HDR.jpg

Boat 405

Reaction score
3590 ish is what I guessed back earlier in the year. Waynes world has lots of good info. Lake level bottomed out at 3520. We are now about 3540, so that 20' gain has been really quick. 3600 plus is very probably unless they fuck it up some how which is likely. The outflow beginning June 1 should taper back to 10,000 cfs from the 18,000 cfs currently for the month of May.

Anything over 3595 is pretty much Gravy in my opinion. The cut is usable, all the ramps are usable. The unfortunate thing is Dangling rope is never coming back. So that pushes a lot of people down lake below Rock creek. The traffic above Rock creek has fallen off a cliff because of lack of fuel and inability to get it easily at DR.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Do you guys really think dangling rope is not coming back? I understand the concessions may not have sold but i dont think they were losing money on fuel and ice. I never saw that place packed like crazy but it wasnt ever slow.

Wasnt it also under contract through Aramark?

Im hopeful, i dont think its off the table. Id like to think their in design for just a fuel/ice dock. Who knows though.

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
no where near full pool this year.........they will dump to make sure, they have a narrative to continue
It wouldn’t be near full pool even if they didn’t let any water out. Lol

They have increased the annual outflows for 2023 up to I believe 9MAF which is part of their balancing of mead and Powell.

havasuhusker

Reaction score

Great idea!

We are going up from May 27 to June 3rd - hoping the wind won't be as crazy as last year.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Do you guys really think dangling rope is not coming back? I understand the concessions may not have sold but i dont think they were losing money on fuel and ice. I never saw that place packed like crazy but it wasnt ever slow.

Im hopeful, i dont think its off the table. Id like to think their in design for just a fuel/ice dock. Who knows though.
I read a couple of days ago the buildings have been destroyed and put in a landfill................

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I read a couple of days ago the buildings have been destroyed and put in a landfill................
Yeah doesn't mean they aren't building a new one though. 😁

mesquito_creek

Reaction score

They are all sitting up at Bullfrog.... There are some picture floating around somewhere

I think it would just be logistics and what they have in the current budget year to year to put it all back. I think they will wait and see if we get a couple of wet years back to back.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
We had an exceptional water year this year and to think that its over would be like saying we had a huge hurricane in Florida this year so we are safe for the next 20 years...

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
They are all sitting up at Bullfrog.... There are some picture floating around somewhere

I think it would just be logistics and what they have in the current budget year to year to put it all back. I think they will wait and see if we get a couple of wet years back to back.
Here is a picture of what I am told is the DR marina being dismantled
Bullfrog ramp.jpg

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
Still doesn't mean they aren't considering mid lake fuel and ice. Im going to be optimistic and say the lake is half full and they are designing a new dangling rope. 😁

retaocleg

Reaction score
we will need multiple years like this to fill powell....