WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

hallett crashed at mead sun...

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Brand new 29 hallett, i know the owner of the boat, & his fiance very well, also another 2 of my very good friends (another couple), were on the boat along with 3 other people i don't know (7 total).... everyone is going to be ok, bruised up a bit and very sore, a couple of the passengers were air lifted as a precaution but no major injuries from what i've been told.

An idiot on a sea doo cut in front of them in the narrowest part of the narrows and then did a 180 right in front of them. The driver was forced to make an evasive turn in one direction to miss the sea-doo, then an evasive turn back the other direction to stop from running up onto the rocks. It was at this point the boat spun out and ejected all 7 passengers. Since there is no kill switch and no self returning throttle on the boat (like most other boats that size) the boat then took back off and ran itself up the rocks.

Another friend of mine was up in front of them when it happened in his eliminator, he just happened to look over his shoulder when it all went down, he hauled ass to the opposite side of the narrows from where all the passengers were in the water (thinking everyone was still on the boat up rocks) and was yelling into the boat if anyone was ok, he then turned around and noticed everyone back on the other side a couple hundred yards away i'd guess, he went over there and started throwing life jackets and shit in the water, and doing a head count, everyone was there (no one drowning or under water)

BTW the asshole on the Sea-Doo fled the scene.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Brand new 29 hallett, i know the owner of the boat, & his fiance very well, also another 2 of my very good friends (another couple), were on the boat along with 3 other people i don't know (7 total).... everyone is going to be ok, bruised up a bit and very sore, a couple of the passengers were air lifted as a precaution but no major injuries from what i've been told.

An idiot on a sea doo cut in front of them in the narrowest part of the narrows and then did a 180 right in front of them. The driver was forced to make an evasive turn in one direction to miss the sea-doo, then an evasive turn back the other direction to stop from running up onto the rocks. It was at this point the boat spun out and ejected all 7 passengers. Since there is no kill switch and no self returning throttle on the boat (like most other boats that size) the boat then took back off and ran itself up the rocks.

Another friend of mine was up in front of them when it happened in his eliminator, he just happened to look over his shoulder when it all went down, he hauled ass to the opposite side of the narrows from where all the passengers were in the water (thinking everyone was still on the boat up rocks) and was yelling into the boat if anyone was ok, he then turned around and noticed everyone back on the other side a couple hundred yards away i'd guess, he went over there and started throwing life jackets and shit in the water, and doing a head count, everyone was there (no one drowning or under water)

BTW the asshole on the Sea-Doo fled the scene.

Sounds like they were all pretty lucky to survive. Good thing the boat didn't come back and run them or someone else down.

scarabrick

Reaction score
wow.. glad everyone was OK..

fuckin jet skiers..:swear

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
On another note, I've never been through that section of Mead. Does anyone have any pics? Looks interesting.

DaveH

Reaction score
racey is exactly right. what you saw was the luckiest sea-do rider on the planet today. A destroyed boat, multiple people sent to the hospital, all because some ASSHOLE on a PWC desides to do manuvers in the narrowest section of lake (called the narrows for a reason).

the lesson i am taking away from this is it is better not to try evasive manuvers when one of these lake lice idiots pulls this BS. I am going to run the prick over and risk THEIR LIFE, not mine or my passengers.

yes, the SOB did flee the scene. the driver was sober and not cited. multiple witnesses saw the whole thing go down. boat is a total loss.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
this is never gonna stop till they start writing reckless operating
citation ticket for them not operating in a predictable manor..

if they do a 90 or 180 with out looking over their shoulder first

they should be cited...

as busy as the parker strip is the sea doos should have to have
turn signals and brake lights..

Mondorally

Reaction score

they should be cited...

:thumbsup

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
same with people pulling tubes then start doing donut circles,,

wtf... you're not playing in your dough boy pool...' it's a river full
of boats going in every direction...

Scott E

Reaction score
Glad that everyone is ok. Boats can be replaced, people not so much.

Another lesson from this is to wear your kill switch lanyard because you never know...

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Sounds like they were all pretty lucky to survive. Good thing the boat didn't come back and run them or someone else down.

For sure, Brummett has a badass 24 hallet with a turbo motor and a full cav plate setup that's a real runner, when i used to drive it (when it belonged to the previous owner before he died of cancer and Carson bought it back) i used to always think what a hassle it was to cruise in because it had a self returning hand throttle.... i'm thinking that's a pretty badass setup now, especially in a high performance boat.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Wow what an ordeal. Glad everyone will be OK.

This Lake Lice crap will get worse and worse. We were at Mission Motorsports last week and the sales dude said they sold 15 PWC's in three days with some Yahama sale.

Not good.:thumbsdown

Maybe the lanyard deal is not a bad thing after all.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Glad everyone is ok. Sorry to see the boat destroyed. Hopefully karma will get teh Sea-Doo rider.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Real happy to read that everyone will be O.K.

Fucking irresponsible cocksuckers that cause shit like this. Do not give a shit. The lake is theirs, AND THEIRS ALONE.

Greg

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Sad to hear for sure. Me personally I'd have ran the jetski over. It's like swerving for an animal in the street. U just don't do it. Hit it then deal with it after. I can't help but wonder how fast this guy was going in the narrowest part of the narrows. I also think there should be bouys to slow people down in areas like that for situations like this. It's took a big fatal at devils elbow for buoys to go up why is that. There are many areas that rate bouys for saftey on every recreational boating lake. Some one needs to spend a couple of bucks and do something like that. Shit one weekend of unnessicary PD overtime would prob buy the bouys needed.

Waterheater

Reaction score
It's good to hear everyone is OK. I don't understand why they don't make everyone that has a PWC, expceally the rentals, take a class before they turn them loose. It seems like most the people on them have no idea the laws for the water. It kills me that someone who has never seen a lake can basically walk up to rental shop throw down a credit card, and be out doing 50 mph on the water in twenty minutes......:grumble:

riverroyal

Reaction score
Am I the only one that wears a lanyard/kill switch??I put it on my wrist every time I start the boat

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
racey is exactly right. what you saw was the luckiest sea-do rider on the planet today. A destroyed boat, multiple people sent to the hospital, all because some ASSHOLE on a PWC desides to do manuvers in the narrowest section of lake (called the narrows for a reason).

the lesson i am taking away from this is it is better not to try evasive manuvers when one of these lake lice idiots pulls this BS. I am going to run the prick over and risk THEIR LIFE, not mine or my passengers.

yes, the SOB did flee the scene. the driver was sober and not cited. multiple witnesses saw the whole thing go down. boat is a total loss.

So fucked up. At the puddle, they only allow lake lice every other day. Maybe more lakes should start doing this. Damm glad to hear everyone is ok.

*phew*

spectras only

Reaction score
I'm glad everyone is OK . My boat is a 1990 and had kill switch installed by the builder .Why would anyone skimp on this inexpensive part on a quality boat like Hallett :bash:

JBS

Reaction score
Am I the only one that wears a lanyard/kill switch??I put it on my wrist every time I start the boat

I do also. It is a key part of the training that Tres Martin does. In fact he has a Velcro wrist strap that he designed that makes it much easier to wear.

I'm glad everyone is OK . My boat is a 1990 and had kill switch installed by the builder .Why would anyone skimp on this inexpensive part on a quality boat like Hallett :bash:

I am sure this was included by Hallett.

Unfortunately many do not feel the need to use it. It is a key piece of safety equipment. Especially at speed or in a low free board boat or Deck Boat.

Scott E

Reaction score

I cannot say I wear it all the time as I do not wear it when idling. But as soon as we get close to the no wake buoys it goes on.

We previously owned a 29 foot deep V with no kill switch. Interestingly, before that we owned a 21 foot v from the same builder that did have a kill switch.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Sad to hear for sure. Me personally I'd have ran the jetski over. It's like swerving for an animal in the street. U just don't do it. Hit it then deal with it after. I can't help but wonder how fast this guy was going in the narrowest part of the narrows. I also think there should be bouys to slow people down in areas like that for situations like this. It's took a big fatal at devils elbow for buoys to go up why is that. There are many areas that rate bouys for saftey on every recreational boating lake. Some one needs to spend a couple of bucks and do something like that. Shit one weekend of unnessicary PD overtime would prob buy the bouys needed.

The narrows at Mead is pretty wide, much wider than every section of the entire rest of the river at it's narrowest point, they do have buoys there for no water-skiing/towables through the mile or so stretch of that narrowest area. A speed limit isn't going to solve anything, a jet skier can still cut you off at any speed and cause a dangerous situation.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

What your stating I cannot agree with although I have to admit is sounds justified reading it. I will always try and avoid.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Whenever a PWC is in front of me I take extreme caution, YES I back off the gas. I do not trust them or their abilities to see boats. In the narrows I slow down just because it's beautiful to cruise through there and if I saw a PWC hauling ass through there I'd stay the f away from them.

Racey, I am stoked your friends are fine, that's the most important and best news we could hear.

pull-on

Roofers do it on top.
Reaction score
Whenever a PWC is in front of me I take extreme caution, YES I back off the gas. I do not trust them or their abilities to see boats. In the narrows I slow down just because it's beautiful to cruise through there and if I saw a PWC hauling ass through there I'd stay the f away from them.

Racey, I am stoked your friends are fine, that's the most important and best news we could hear.

I can't agree more!!!!!!! As I'm sure we've all had a bad experience with PWC's acting like morons, I will not endanger my family or others. Boat defensively.

SHIT, I STILL RAISE MY HAND WHEN PASSING BOATS WITH RED FLAGS, OR EVEN IF I SEE A PERSON IN THE WATER! EVERY TIME!!!!!!!

Still, glad everyone is O.K.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
i think its this one

4th.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

they should be cited...

-And helmets and chest guards.

M/C laws should be applied to PWC's.

Brad @ SCJB

SoCalJetBoats.com
Reaction score
glad everyone is ok....been out on mead a lot in the last 2 years i've been here. as big as that lake is, i've seen some hairy situations.

I can't agree more!!!!!!! As I'm sure we've all had a bad experience with PWC's acting like morons, I will not endanger my family or others. Boat defensively.

SHIT, I STILL RAISE MY HAND WHEN PASSING BOATS WITH RED FLAGS, OR EVEN IF I SEE A PERSON IN THE WATER! EVERY TIME!!!!!!!

Still, glad everyone is O.K.

im the same way. i will not attempt to pass them (or any boat for that matter) until i see them see me. and even then, im cautious about passing them.

I road in as a passanger a few months ago. the driver sat in another boats blind spot for a good awhile. it drove me up the wall. of course, the other boat made a sharp turn to avoid a sand bar and nearly took us out. i really dont like not being in control on the water. :grumble:

and im not gunna sit here and wag my finger about the no killswitch deal....but this is a good time for us all to re-evaluate our setups. this should be a good eye opener.

DaveH

Reaction score
sorry, i am not buying any of this PC talk.

I will always try and avoid

I cannot say I wear it all the time as I do not wear it when idling. But as soon as we get close to the no wake buoys it goes on

I also think there should be bouys to slow people down in areas like that

THE BOATS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. any new restrictions need to be placed on PWC's! why are all these suggestions geared toward the boats?:thumbsdown

fix the problem, not another feel good band-aid solution that will do nothing.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had never been to Mead before this last weekend.. When we were going through this area Linder told me "This is the Narrows.." My response was, "You're Narrows is still wider then 95% of Parker strip, maybe they should call it The Wides..." LOL..

Very little traffic on that lake, at least when I was there this last weekend. It's amazing how stupid people are on a PWC. When we 1st launched we were cruising across the basin.. Miles of Lake around, and we still had a PWC cut in front of us about 200' off.. Now in Parker that might as well be a mile, but on Lake mead? I was thinking? Why would you do that, you have a whole lake?

RD

jayboat

naplesimage.com
Reaction score
Sad to hear for sure. Me personally I'd have ran the jetski over. It's like swerving for an animal in the street. U just don't do it. Hit it then deal with it after.

Oh man, I know how you feel but reality is different. A friend of mine with a Top Gun was at a poker run recently here on the east coast. He and a couple friends went out for a spin on Friday. Running along... a jet ski ahead of them decided to do a u-turn right in front of them. :swear

They ran over him.

Think about jumping into water that is boiling with blood. Both props had hit him- tore him up pretty good. Haven't heard if he lost his right arm or not- I'd say he is lucky to be alive. Turns out he hadn't had the pwc very long- just a few weeks. My buddy was really freaked out, I don't think he's over it yet, maybe never.

The answer is probably some sort of mandatory school like a motorcycle drivers license if you are gonna operate one of those things.

Reaction score
Funny how the boat was run a ground on its port side. It would appear the Jetski had the right a way? Also appears the Hallett was on the wrong side of the lake/narrows to pass safely in a conjested area.

Was alcohol a factor?

Attachments

• Hallett July 2010 Mead Narrows.jpg
    Hallett July 2010 Mead Narrows.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Funny how the boat was run a ground on its port side. It would appear the Jetski had the right a way? Also appears the Hallett was on the wrong side of the lake/narrows to pass safely in a conjested area.

Was alcohol a factor?
read post #5

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Classic Daycruisre, after everyone (including the driver) was pitched out of the boat, the boat took off on it's own. You can't tell anything about the initial incident from those pics.

RD

Scott E

Reaction score
THE BOATS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM. any new restrictions need to be placed on PWC's! why are all these suggestions geared toward the boats?:thumbsdown

fix the problem, not another feel good band-aid solution that will do nothing.

Where did ANYONE say there needed to be additional laws? Where did ANYONE say the problem was the boats? All I said was that something else to learn from this was to wear your kill switch lanyard. That would have prevented the boat from going off on its own after everyone was ejected. How is that a bad thing?

Tube Sock

Reaction score

Totally agree with you on that one! When any of those things gets around me I back off and wait for them to sprint ahead or pass.

Its just not worth it!

Lue

Banned
Reaction score

Philly is right on the money with this one. Always be aware of who's around you and make adjustments and changes in course half a mile ahead of any danger.

In the past, I've had one guy turn against my every maneuver to avoid him as we were headed for each other. I basically got off plane and showed him my hull side. There was no more confusion between what the other was trying to do. Basically I made him go around me. Once he was out of my way I continued on the way out into the lake. This was on the river just south of Crazy Horse.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
it may not have had a lanyard. i know for a fact this boat was not rigged by Hallett. i never saw the boat complete,so i dont know for sure it had one.

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
Requiring education for all PWC owners and operators (even licenses) would appear to be a big step forward in helping to solve these problems. Especially considering how easy it is to rent them (jump on them and go).

I think the politicians go after boaters because they're the low-hanging fruit - easy targets with money (and politicians love taking our money and our rights).

Leave it to the politicians and they'll outlaw boating (by taxing it to death first). Boaters need to get motivated and organized to take control of their sport before the losers in Sacramento and other state capitals do.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Requiring education for all PWC owners and operators (even licenses) would appear to be a big step forward in helping to solve these problems. Especially considering how easy it is to rent them (jump on them and go).

I think the politicians go after boaters because they're the low-hanging fruit - easy targets with money (and politicians love taking our money and our rights).

Leave it to the politicians and they'll outlaw boating (by taxing it to death first). Boaters need to get motivated and organized to take control of their sport before the losers in Sacramento and other state capitals do.

Requiring licenses / education for PWC's would be a huge step in eliminating boating as a whole.. by yet giving the government more control of our ever dieing hobby. You mentioned taxing to death.. What do you think will happen the instant you are required to have a piece of paper to drive one.. It won't stop with PWC's either.. If you think you can trust the government to do anything part way or correctly, you're mistaken.

RD

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
My boat did not come with a lanyard for whatever reason. Anybody know what it would take to equip my boat with one aftermarket? Cost/time?

Reaction score
read post #5

Thanks for clarification.

Still, the driver of the Hallett did not have enough time to pull the throttles to ideal. When your a driver, your responisible for your passengers.

I've been in the narrows 100's of times. I see jetskier's in the area on every trip. There is always alot of boat traffic too. You have to pay attention or someone is going to die. This is nothing new too boating, yet thing's like this happen every year. :swear

Reaction score
My boat did not come with a lanyard for whatever reason. Anybody know what it would take to equip my boat with one aftermarket? Cost/time?

I believe they are pretty cheap. Next time you have your boat serviced, take it back to the mfg, and see if they will retrofit one for free?

commodorecomer

Reaction score
So glad everyone is going to be OK! I hate to say it but the first thing I thought when I saw life flight and heard what was going on was that someone on a PWC with their head up their :bang: cut somebody off or ran somebody over. Some of those people are bone heads! Mead is a big place, yet these guys are always getting in the way. It's our responsability to watch out for them but so often they do moronic things you arent prepared for. Parker and others are much worse. Be safe out there!