WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Launching made easier, got any tips?

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
My wife unfortunately is not one of those bad ass women that can back up the truck and is too afraid (I am aftraid of her doing it too) to put the boat on the trailer. I just hate launching and retrieving sometimes because I have to do everything. We usually always go out with family and my pops will take care of the truck and I handle the boat but sometimes its a pain in the ass by myself. Any tips to make my life easier.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Teach her how to do one or the other....or both.

bunkrepair

Reaction score
when i launch by myself i have ropes that are ready to tie to the dock bumpers out back it in tie up park the truck and hope in the boat and same deal but opposite for putting it on the trailer or for launch back it in and just have her park the truck,

it can be stressfull on busy days i agree

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
Yup...hitch up the trailer and go to a big empty parking lot. Chalk two lines and have her practice backing in between the lines from different angles. No pressure, no people yelling at you and no risk of hitting someone else.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Tandem axle trailer.

Grab the bottom of the tow vehicle steering wheel and steer it from there, slightly turning the bottom of the wheel the direction ya want the trailer to go.

If ya over do it just pull a few feet forward with the tow vehicles wheels straight and it resets your position.

Our MoHome boat has trailer guides to make it easier to see while backing, but more so, easy to guide the big MoFo MoHo boat onto.

Ignore any impatient people on the launch ramp.

milkmoney

Reaction score
i suggest having a non family member teach her how to back up, less pressure on her and she will learn alot easier without thinking she will be yelled at or fell like she is letting you down...simple solution imo..:thumbsup
where do you boat at or usually launch at????

its not about being bad ass its about being taught properly...

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
when i launch by myself i have ropes that are ready to tie to the dock bumpers out back it in tie up park the truck and hope in the boat and same deal but opposite for putting it on the trailer or for launch back it in and just have her park the truck,

Yeah, I forgot to add,,, avoid weekends on the launch ramp, or if at the river, their are plenty of vacant ramps.
Sheriffs station, Rock House,, Del Rio,, plenty of quiet ramps in Parker.

Slowly backing is the key. No time to act proud.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
i suggest having a non family member teach her how to back up, less pressure on her and she will learn alot easier without thinking she will be yelled at or fell like she is letting you down...simple solution imo..:thumbsup
where do you boat at or usually launch at????

its not about being bad ass its about being taught properly...

Thats good right there. I can't teach her anything because she won't listen to me lol. Pretty much always launch from Jack Smith. "Stop yelling at me" LMAO.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

Reaction score

Kinda sucks because where we launch mostly at Jack Smith you can't even get on the docks because the dock is directly where people launch retrieve from its not like off to the side.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
Tandem axle trailer.

Grab the bottom of the tow vehicle steering wheel and steer it from there, slightly turning the bottom of the wheel the direction ya want the trailer to go.If ya over do it just pull a few feet forward with the tow vehicles wheels straight and it resets your position.

Our MoHome boat has trailer guides to make it easier to see while backing, but more so, easy to guide the big MoFo MoHo boat onto.

THis is how I was tuaght starting at about 12 years old... it works, its simple and as long as you keep your movements small you can never make a mistake that you can't correct.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Thats good right there. I can't teach her anything because she won't listen to me lol. Pretty much always launch from Jack Smith.

excatly right she may love you but thinks your a know it all,lol...i would be willing to help you out with teachin her, like alot of guys here i have a cdl and have been driving everything so its jus natural to me to back up...:D i wouls suggest as soon as school is back in would be ideal, dont know your schedule or situation. i will say jack smith will be a diffucult ramp to teach her on. it seems if they lose site of the trailer they panic, they think the damm thing fell off and left.lol. still can be done though....yes i know i stayed at a holiday in last night...:D:thumbsup let me know if i can help you guys with anything on the trailer backing up thingy..
dave

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
Have her learn to navigate the vessel? :hmm

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
excatly right she may love you but thinks your a know it all,lol...i would be willing to help you out with teachin her, like alot of guys here i have a cdl and have been driving everything so its jus natural to me to back up...:D i wouls suggest as soon as school is back in would be ideal, dont know your schedule or situation. i will say jack smith will be a diffucult ramp to teach her on. it seems if they lose site of the trailer they panic, they think the damm thing fell off and left.lol. still can be done though....yes i know i stayed at a holiday in last night...:D:thumbsup let me know if i can help you guys with anything on the trailer backing up thingy..
dave

Awesome I might have to take you up on that. It really doesn't make it any easier that my wife is only 4'10" and my truck has an 8" lift on it.:grumble:

fmo24

Reaction score
Have your pops or someone you trust help her unload and load the boat. for some reason they have alot more success doing this. I had my brother go with for the first few launches and now we have the routine down. i get dropped at the dock run up and get the truck and back in. It really makes life a lot easier when you dont have to do it all your self

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Have her learn to navigate the vessel? :hmm

For some reason driving the boat scares the shit out of her. I almost got her to drive the boat two weeks ago to start teaching her but she chickened out and I don't wanna force her because bad shit happens when people are forced to do something they don't wanna do.

milkmoney

Reaction score
Awesome I might have to take you up on that. It really doesn't make it any easier that my wife is only 4'10" and my truck has an 8" lift on it.:grumble:

no worries on that, if your big boy truck has mirrors, then we can make it happen and really its better that she cant look out the back window, makes teaching her easier, then there will be no bad habits that she can get, ie: like looking over ur shoulder out the window..:thumbsup:D

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
My wife is not much of a backer either. I have an idea to fix it just havent had the opp to do it. A buddy of mine has the same prob with his wife. We have agreed that he should teach my wife and I should teach his. This should knock the frustration levels down to nill. As it is now I back in then get in the boat and fire it. When all is well she backs the rest of the way in then parks. Then I pick her up at the dock. When its time to get off the water she will hold the boat at the dock while I go get the truck. Ill put the trailer where I want it then we will switch. She will go to the truck and grab the hook. Ill get the boat on the trailer and she will reel it in then get in the drivers seat and pull us to the wipedown area. If we are at an empty ramp sometime ill guide her with hand and arm signals from the boat and she does pretty good. We only get to do that rarely. Latley shes been gettin more involved with the boat. I also have a 17 yr old that has gotten pretty good also.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
no worries on that, if your big boy truck has mirrors, then we can make it happen and really its better that she cant look out the back window, makes teaching her easier, then there will be no bad habits that she can get, ie: like looking over ur shoulder out the window..:thumbsup:D

I hate looking over my shoulder, I use mirrors but agree she might get a little freaky when she loses sight of it down the ramp. Where do you usually boat out of?

milkmoney

Reaction score
For some reason driving the boat scares the shit out of her. I almost got her to drive the boat two weeks ago to start teaching her but she chickened out and I don't wanna force her because bad shit happens when people are forced to do something they don't wanna do.

ok being that i sound like a know it all today, i am involved in this thread,lol:D lori can drive the boat fine she jus prefers to drive in the winter time, non summer less boats, so maybe some fall/spring time driving the boat might be easier to teach her..i am lucky that lori can do it both(truck/trailer and boat) those were the rules in order to be able to go boating. sadly to say if something was to happen to me out on the water , i waana make sure she could get the boat back and on the trailer and she was safe...:thumbsup

milkmoney

Reaction score
I hate looking over my shoulder, I use mirrors but agree she might get a little freaky when she loses sight of it down the ramp. Where do you usually boat out of?

most of my boating is done in parker and alittle in havasu up to maobi, i live in vegas so jack smith aint to far for me to come down on sat/sun morning etc..:thumbsup

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Ever think about putting a hitch receiver on the front of your truck? A lot easier for her to drive forward than to back down.

Dettom

Reaction score
Tandem axle trailer.

Grab the bottom of the tow vehicle steering wheel and steer it from there, slightly turning the bottom of the wheel the direction ya want the trailer to go.

If ya over do it just pull a few feet forward with the tow vehicles wheels straight and it resets your position.

That is the correct way to back a trailer. But what I found works better is having my wife launch and retrieve and I do all the truck backing stuff. Most guys, that I see don't take the time to teach her properly and then the frustration starts and then the yelling etc. Time and patience and go slooow...If she does the boat, I can "talk her in" as she's approaching the trailer when retrieving and launching really is a no brainer.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
My wife unfortunately is not one of those bad ass women that can back up the truck and is too afraid (I am aftraid of her doing it too) to put the boat on the trailer. I just hate launching and retrieving sometimes because I have to do everything. We usually always go out with family and my pops will take care of the truck and I handle the boat but sometimes its a pain in the ass by myself. Any tips to make my life easier.

My thoughts with it are that I need nobody and can handle my boat by myself. lf you can't you shouldn't be on the water. That being said if someone is there that can follow instructions and help out great. I launch my 28 Bullet by myself most of the time. All about rythum and consistency.

WET-N-WILD LIGHTNING

Reaction score

Sounds like we have he same problem. We have dwarfs driving our trucks, LOL

My wife is the same way:(

My wife is not much of a backer either. I have an idea to fix it just havent had the opp to do it. A buddy of mine has the same prob with his wife. We have agreed that he should teach my wife and I should teach his. This should knock the frustration levels down to nill. As it is now I back in then get in the boat and fire it. When all is well she backs the rest of the way in then parks. Then I pick her up at the dock. When its time to get off the water she will hold the boat at the dock while I
go get the truck. Ill put the trailer where I want it then we will switch. She will go to the truck and grab the hook. Ill get the boat on the trailer and she will reel it in then get in the drivers seat and pull us to the wipedown area. If we are at an empty ramp sometime ill guide her with hand and arm signals from the boat and she does pretty good. We only get to do that rarely. Latley shes been gettin more involved with the boat. I also have a 17 yr old that has gotten pretty good also.

It sounds like we have the same system:) At least I know there are many more of you in the same situation as me.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Seriously. Teach her to drive the boat. Way easier. Unless it's a v-drive. LOL

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Why risk damaging yours or someone elses stuff? Just do it yourself. Jack Smith is one of the easiest ramps there are. Beach your boat and go get the truck.

If you're hell bent on teaching your girl (and she wants to learn) take her to a local lake off season and during the week and teach her.

Launching is easy, I can never understand why some people have such a big problem with it.

WTDecker

Reaction score
Get some radio's for the truck and boat. It works great for us, I can just talk to her, no yelling.:thumbsup

FARMER JOHN

Can't Remember
Reaction score
Iv'e watched some of the girls just drop the tailgate so they don't lose sight of the trailer and it seems to help

SPL2K

Reaction score
Iv'e watched some of the girls just drop the tailgate so they don't lose sight of the trailer and it seems to help

Thats what mine does both launching and retrieving. Shes better and faster than most guys on the ramp.

GR8WHITE

Reaction score
Why risk damaging yours or someone elses stuff? Just do it yourself. Jack Smith is one of the easiest ramps there are. Beach your boat and go get the truck.

If you're hell bent on teaching your girl (and she wants to learn) take her to a local lake off season and during the week and teach her.

Launching is easy, I can never understand why some people have such a big problem with it.

Yes launching is easy but retrieving is more of a pain. I hate when I put the boat on the beach and back the trailer up and then have to run a good distance on a busy weekend because the boat is 50 yards away and I have to walk all the way around the docks to get back down to the boat. Then I get dirty looks and fuckers talking shit because I am leaving the truck and trailer to get the boat. That is the only reason I wanna teach her to do one or the other. Most other other marinas there is no problem but the way jack smith is layed out for this blows.:skull

Last edited:

dribble

Reaction score
My wife puts the boat on the trailer better than I do. And that's with the kids and grand kids in it. Why not just teach her?

TCHB

Reaction score
Over the years I think it is easier to put the boat on the trailer. My wife does a great job pulling the boat on. Put boat guides on the outside so she can see exactly where she has to go. Leave the trailer shallow.

Have her practice a couple times when it is quiet.

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
Yes launching is easy but retrieving is more of a pain. I hate when I put the boat on the beach and back the trailer up and then have to run a good distance on a busy weekend because the boat is 50 yards away and I have to walk all the way around the docks to get back down to the boat.

Why do you have to walk all the way around the dock. You could just climb over. I posted a pic to show that the dock isn't that high. I've monkeyed over that dock many times but I usually don't have to because I rarely have to back down the center lane. ;)

For retrieval, leave your wife in the boat while it's beached and go get the truck and trailer. After you back the trailer in put the truck in park and set the e brake really well. Have your wife get out of the boat and head over to the truck while you go to the boat. When she get's to the truck have her get in the truck's driver's seat.

You go shove your boat out while climbing in and starting it. Drive it up the trailer and if necessary have your wife adjust the depth of the rig. Surely she can move forward or back a little, but more than likely you probably know exactly how far to sink your trailer so that probably won't be necessary.

Easy!

JSP_014.jpg

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
when backing in a straight line use your mirrors. Turn the wheel toward the mirror that the trailer is in. It will correct the trailer and keep it going straight:thumbsup

Havasteve

Reaction score

Yeah!! Get rid of her!!:D

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Go to the mall parking lot on a Sunday and get her comfortable with driving the trailer. My wife is better than most guys at backing the trailer.

WET-N-WILD LIGHTNING

Reaction score
Yes launching is easy but retrieving is more of a pain. I hate when I put the boat on the beach and back the trailer up and then have to run a good distance on a busy weekend because the boat is 50 yards away and I have to walk all the way around the docks to get back down to the boat. Then I get dirty looks and fuckers talking shit because I am leaving the truck and trailer to get the boat. That is the only reason I wanna teach her to do one or the other. Most other other marinas there is no problem but the way jack smith is layed out for this blows.:skull

IF WE ARE ALL BOATERS THEN WE ARE WE DICKS TO EACH OTHER AT THE LAUNCH RAMP? I'M IN NO HURRY WHEN I GO OUT TO THE RIVER AND TAKE MY TIME AS OTHERS SHOULD TO. BETTER TO TAKE YOU TIME AND DO IT RIGHT THEN MESSING SOMETHING UP OF YOURS OR SOMEONE ELSES. THE RIVER HAS BEEN THERE MANY YEARS AND I PROMISE IT ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE.

Singleton

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. When we launch wife will take truck and park, while I am in the boat. When we retrieve wife will wait with boat and I will do both.

Tried teaching her and she knows what to do, but she had a bad day once and now she avoids it.

When I see someone having issues I ask if they need help and help. However it was that one ass who yelled at my wife when she was in the truck that got to her and since that day she has decide to avoid it.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
backing up the trailer when the boat is on it is pretty easy. its difficult for my gf when the boat is off, theres no weight on it, and you cant see just the trailer. i take a little ATV flag and she slaps it on the trailer so she has something to see when the trailer starts to turn. by the time a fender pokes out into the mirrors its too late and you have to do some pretty big corrections.

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
backing up the trailer when the boat is on it is pretty easy. its difficult for my gf when the boat is off, theres no weight on it, and you cant see just the trailer. i take a little ATV flag and she slaps it on the trailer so she has something to see when the trailer starts to turn. by the time a fender pokes out into the mirrors its too late and you have to do some pretty big corrections.

The flag is a good idea. My 4x4 is lifted and I can't see the trailer. Lowering the tailgate isn't an option. You're also correct about by the time you see the fenders it needs larger corrections.

WET-N-WILD LIGHTNING

Reaction score
I am in the same boat. When we launch wife will take truck and park, while I am in the boat. When we retrieve wife will wait with boat and I will do both.

Tried teaching her and she knows what to do, but she had a bad day once and now she avoids it.

When I see someone having issues I ask if they need help and help. However it was that one ass who yelled at my wife when she was in the truck that got to her and since that day she has decide to avoid it.

I just don't understand why people have to act like that. If he would have done that to my wife there would have been some issues on that ramp.:swear

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My wife and I have this deal...

She doesnt drive, I dont clean toilets.

I'm pretty happy with it. :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Got the big carpeted guides on our boat trailer and they really help with one person launching from ramps with no deck fingers to walk on or tie off to like at Davys in Long Beach.

I tie the boat to the guides, then back it in,, climb aboard, un-tie and back out,, putt over to the staging dock,, then run back and park the truck and trailer.
Retrieving just the opposite.

Putting the boat on the trailer in the dark helps with the guides too.
Great invention, and a cheap option.

Last edited:

rvrmom

Reaction score
I'll chime in from a girl's perspective. Couple thoughts...

One, yes it's intimidating at first. Mostly because you want to not fock up and embarrass yourself and your husband.

I can back a trailer down just fine, took a couple times. Mark was for once real patient and taught me.

We just got a new (beater) boat and I told Mark just the other day.

So this weekend let me handle the boat. Launching, retrieving etc... I like being able to be self sufficient on the river. We were boatless for the past two Summer's so it's been awhile.

Lastly, I hate when guy's heckle, make fun of girl's on the launch ramp. That's jacked.

Do I back the boat trailer down perfectly, no but you know what it get's in the water.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
Lot's of good tips posted.

I guess all I can add is this......................

It takes practice. Period.

Key points maybe already made....

1 - Go slow. No matter how many boats are waiting, it ain't a race. Go slow and get it right the first time. It's faster in the long run.
2 - Learn to use the mirrors. It's harder to learn at first, but, IMO way better once you do learn.
3 - Make small corrections and give the trailer time to react. Use your mirrors.
4 - Line up as straight as possible before backing in. I can figure 8 through cars and boats and punch the trailer in a space about 8.5 feet, but, the straighter you start out before backing, the easier it is.
5 - Some folks like to put the tranny in neutral. I guess it makes for easier backing down a downhill slope?

When launching. One of my biggest things I tell Jayme.....................
After the trailer is where it needs to be, do this sequence............
This will keep your tranny from that awful CLUNK..........
Apply parking brake FIRST, then slowly let your foot off the brake and let the praking brake catch/fully stop the vehicle.
THEN, put the tranny in park.

When retrieving and the boat's on the trailer, in the water..........
Apply the brakes.
Put the truck in gear (drive)
THEN, release the parking brake.
When pulling out, have a light foot. Don't wanna make the tires break loose and lose traction. Plus, you can use the e-brake trick that was posted above.

Hell, my wifes Escalade pulls my boat out easier than my truck in 2wd. Her all wheel drive is nice on the launch ramps. No slip at all.