WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Info about Dana boats circa 1985?

TRG

Reaction score
Looking to find an old boat but was told years back that there were only 5-7 made, it was a 20-21' Dana cruiser (Jet) it had a molded in swim step and a raised body line down the center of the bow, pretty sooth lines, kind of narrow for being a cruiser, but looked like it had similarities of an Eliminator or a Spectra, I know both are different, but this was sort of a morph of the two.
Any info and or pics would be great! thanks guys!
TRG

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I built a Dana Dart 19 from those guys, would have been 87-88 or so, down off the 22 in Garden Grove. Mariner 135 on it. Would love to find it or one like it as well.

OGShocker

Lion Hunter
Reaction score
Dana is no longer in Montclair. I am sure Jason (new owner) would have any knowledge of that era. Let me see what I can find out and I'll post it later...

Waterheater

Reaction score
I have a friend that has one. I can't remember the year or exact length, but it's an open bow with a big block and jet drive. Super clean also! He was thinking about selling it at the first of the year. Let me know and I can get you some more info on it.

fmo24

Reaction score
I don't recall Dana making s cruiser with a molded in swim step.

TRG

Reaction score
I remember it was off the 22fwy where my old man picked it up, I dont remember the exact year, but we sold our other boat (Delivered) to the new owner just outside of the Dana dealership and drove in to pick up the blue one. (I remember it like it was yesterday, Interested in the openbow for sure! would like to see pics [email protected]

fmo24 It was absolutely a Dana, my uncle was with us and he started a new build on a 21-22 Dana open bow the very next day, he still has his, but it was a different style hull than ours, his was deeper and longer hull and they test drove it out of Dana point when he took delivery. just a few memories of our experience with you guys. My old man had always said if he were to buy another boat it would be from y'all, he and my uncle were very happy customers.
Thanks a ton for any and all info guys, there is quite a bit of info on these boards, its nice to get correct/quick info!
Thanks again!
TRG

twocents

RDP Staff Member
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a long time ago, so don't hold me to this, but as I recall Dana Boats was started by Dave and Nancy Stockton, water ski racers and members of the Long Beach Boat & Ski Club. The Dana name came from combining the DA from Dave and the NA from Nancy. At least that's the way I remember it.

74 HOWARD 21RC

Reaction score
Todd I worked over at Dana around that ara (mid80's)I washed the used boats and then moved my way into the shop.I do remember Dave Stockton(Owner of Dana Boats back then) was working on a boat like you were describing.I think I only saw one out of the mold.It was a sleek looking hull(narrow with a long deck)Kind of a small looking cigarette boat appearance.I do believe Dave shut down the business a short time after that with only making a few of them.Smiley in Anahiem used to lay his molds for him.The 19 and 20 molds were from Trophy boats back in the day.

fmo24

Reaction score
Twocents you are correct about Dave and Nancy. They opened American Marine in Anaheim first than started Dana boats a couple if years later

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Mine was a 19 dart, white hull, with purple, pink, mint green, fuscia and yellow graphics (fuk off it was the 80's). The Mariner 135 engine cover was color matched in the same gayness and a purple H&G trailer. My first new boat. I wish there was a way to find it, I would make the owner a nice offer on it.

We met Dave at the LA boat show and then came down to garden grove the following weekend and ordered it.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
I don't remember any of Smiley's molds having a built in swim step, that doesn't mean that Dave didn't go out to another glass shop for 'something new'. I remember the 'long narrow offshore boat' as being the 27' Delante and they did it off of an east coast Magnum. Old 'toothless Dan' put up the cash for that tooling and that's right around the time Dave and Nancy split up and it all fell apart. I've known/done business with Ishmael Sanchez since his days at Southwind/Gemcraft and then into his own business. Smiley has laid up a lot of hulls for me that got the shit beat out of them and never a one failed. Please show a photo of the boat (with the built in step) I'd like to know more about it too. PS Smiley didn't lay up the 27's, he only did the tooling. A guy named Dave ??? over in east Anaheim did the glass on those boats.

74 HOWARD 21RC

Reaction score
I don't remember any of Smiley's molds having a built in swim step, that doesn't mean that Dave didn't go out to another glass shop for 'something new'. I remember the 'long narrow offshore boat' as being the 27' Delante and they did it off of an east coast Magnum. Old 'toothless Dan' put up the cash for that tooling and that's right around the time Dave and Nancy split up and it all fell apart. I've known/done business with Ishmael Sanchez since his days at Southwind/Gemcraft and then into his own business. Smiley has laid up a lot of hulls for me that got the shit beat out of them and never a one failed. Please show a photo of the boat (with the built in step) I'd like to know more about it too. PS Smiley didn't lay up the 27's, he only did the tooling. A guy named Dave ??? over in east Anaheim did the glass on those boats.

Very true. You are correct.I do remember the hull that had a built in swim step though.Just has not jarred my memory yet though.

74 HOWARD 21RC

Reaction score
Twocents you are correct about Dave and Nancy. They opened American Marine in Anaheim first than started Dana boats a couple if years later

The name DANA came from Dave And Nancy Always LOL at least thats what I was always told:D

TRG

Reaction score
I have some family pic being sent to be Via Pony Express from Kentucky today, I also remember seeing one of these boats (Built in Swim step) in Blythe in the parking lot adjacent to the starbucks and someone had painted it white and purple , I hope to god that wasnt my old mans boat! it was in pretty poor shape to say the least.
Ill get pics soon.

fmo24

Reaction score
I spoke with my brother about this hull and he seems to think they got a few in from someone and Dana just rigged them. He thinks they had a contoured dash and possibly a molded swim step.

Flat Broke

Reaction score
Todd, did the boat you're talking about look like the Hawaiian 22/24 euro styled deal? That's the only thing I can think of from that time period besides the Eliminator Edge that fits your description. The Hawaiian(or whatever they splashed it from) was a narrow beam hull with a steeper deadrise angle. I'll see if I can find a pic of one and post it up.

TRG

Reaction score
Todd, did the boat you're talking about look like the Hawaiian 22/24 euro styled deal? That's the only thing I can think of from that time period besides the Eliminator Edge that fits your description. The Hawaiian(or whatever they splashed it from) was a narrow beam hull with a steeper deadrise angle. I'll see if I can find a pic of one and post it up.
The boat resembles nothing of either the Hawaiian or the Edge by Eliminator, all the lines are smooth like the Eliminator 20' sport cruiser, the dash (Windscreen) area is also softer than the Eliminator Sport cruiser, and same with the swim step area all the lines are soft around the boat.

Flat Broke

Reaction score
The boat resembles nothing of either the Hawaiian or the Edge by Eliminator, all the lines are smooth like the Eliminator 20' sport cruiser, the dash (Windscreen) area is also softer than the Eliminator Sport cruiser, and same with the swim step area all the lines are soft around the boat.

I think I know what you're talking about now. I saw something like that in Havi over the 4th. Softer lines like a spectra 20, but with the molded swim step and slightly more rounded dash/windscreen that looked sorta Miller-ish. If Dana was getting them somewhere else and rigging them as mentioned earlier, it'd be cool to learn more about the lineage of the hull.

Flat Broke

Reaction score
Just another thought, did you ask Tim/NuckingFuts if he knows anything about em?

fmo24

Reaction score
There 22 had a shorter bow and softer lines but not a molded swim step.

fmo24

Reaction score
They only had the
17' dart
19' min
19' flat deck
20' southwind bottom
22 trophy
25 like Eliminator
Built the 27 early 90's

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
They only had the
17' dart
19' min
19' flat deck
20' southwind bottom
22 trophy
25 like Eliminator
Built the 27 early 90's

Mine was the 17 Dart. Speaking of old boats, if I still had the CF number, assuming it was still in California would I be able to track it down?

fmo24

Reaction score
Maybe someone with DMV connections could

TRG

Reaction score
Just another thought, did you ask Tim/NuckingFuts if he knows anything about em?
I have not asked him about the boat, considering there is absolutely no resemblance to his old blue boat and yours, I dont know that he could help, Ill ask him anyway though! Did you ever end up selling your deal? nice boat BTW! hope all is well with you and your brother, havent heard much from y'all in a while....

Flat Broke

Reaction score
I have not asked him about the boat, considering there is absolutely no resemblance to his old blue boat and yours, I dont know that he could help, Ill ask him anyway though! Did you ever end up selling your deal? nice boat BTW! hope all is well with you and your brother, havent heard much from y'all in a while....

He may know, just because of his relationship with Smiley. Yeah I sold the Spectra, bought a Scarab, and plan to use it in the salt. Ty is doing well out in Havi. He sold the Dana and picked up an Ultra 247 to use on Havi. I still have another Spectra hull that I'll finish up one day... Who knows, maybe when I do we'll have to throw a small CBBB type deal for all the OG folks.

nordic_rig

Reaction score
i rigged em all , i dont remember a molded in step tho.
i'll call dave and ask him.
mike

D

Deleted Account

mike

We did all the interiors for Dave, and no molded swim step boats. The 20SS was a nice hull, but much different than say a Spectra...

You might be thinking about when Stan at Crusader built one? It was about that time?

TRG

Reaction score
Found this on the socal jets website, my old mans boat was light blue, but after looking at this boat, they say its a Hawaiian, so, I call dad, and he said..."Only reason I bought the boat is because it was a Dana!...ive owned Hawaiian and I would not have bought it had I known it were a Hawaiian, the paperwork said it was a Dana and the HIN matched the Dana characteristics!"
Granted, I think we all know that some shady deal have gone down in this rather shady industry, but had Dana ever bought hulls from other vendors and labeled them with their HIN's? here is a pic of this guys boat with the swim step, I guarantee that it is not my old mans boat, I think its just odd that it is light blue, looking close at the jet boat site where these pics come from, the boats gel is nothing like our old boat, just funny that its blue!

overdue

STARTING OVER
Reaction score
i have a 87 20ss with a 220 OB, love the boat ,not so much at havasu,:D

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
mike

Well if you are in contact with Dave, please tell him that I have another great idea ready to explode. I remember back in the early 1980's when Dave and I went to lunch, (back at his favorite taco place) He told me 'how the boat business worked' and how I should run my business. Without going into details, I'll just say that "Dave is a great salesman and knows his customers", I am just a low level machinest, boat designer and boat racer. I must say that today "I am ready to provide the next step in performance boating at a reasonable cost". Maybe Dave is ready to sell what I have to offer, maybe not. I have a design that will sell RETAIL for $24950.00 jet, $$29950.00 V-drive and $31950.00 outdrive. IMHO a viable 'family package' and quality construction to back it all up. I do not offer boats with 'wood screw construction' and I learned my own method from all the race boats we have worked on over the past 40+ years. If you are actually in contact with Dave, I wish him well and I offer this project 'on my dime'.

TRG

Reaction score
that would be great, I guess the light blue boat is a Hawaiian, I want to figure out the deal here? thanks
TRG