WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lower Unit re-build

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
So, Ive come to realize that my lower unit needs a re-build. Im pretty sure the dogs are rounded out on either the forward gear or the shift dog. Either way, should probably just get the whole thing re-built. Anybody have any suggestions or referrals as to who to use? Vegas, Havasu, and Parker are all kinda too far outta the way for me so somewhere closer to the LA area preferably.

hallett21

Reaction score
I believe eliminator dcb and KMG are all merc outboard certified. Or johns custom marine. I don't know of any strictly mechanic shops in the la area however all of these builders to my knowledge do all kinds of motor work. I suggest them because they build outboard boats but I guess a motor is a motor. O one other you could call now is Bacca marine. They are on the lefthand side of the page where the advertisers are.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I believe eliminator dcb and KMG are all merc outboard certified. Or johns custom marine. I don't know of any strictly mechanic shops in the la area however all of these builders to my knowledge do all kinds of motor work. I suggest them because they build outboard boats but I guess a motor is a motor. O one other you could call now is Bacca marine. They are on the lefthand side of the page where the advertisers are.

Thanks. I sent Baca an email.

Keep the idea coming though!

jbird

Reaction score
Contact Alexi at Boostpower in Newbury Park. 805-376-6077
Great service and quick turn around

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
R&R propshop in Vegas. (HENDERSON) Kevin knows his stuff!

Sent from the huge white thing vibrating in my pocket.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Contact Alexi at Boostpower in Newbury Park. 805-376-6077
Great service and quick turn around

I didn't think they'd do drive stuff. ESP Outboards.

R&R propshop in Vegas. (HENDERSON) Kevin knows his stuff!

Sent from the huge white thing vibrating in my pocket.

Ya, vegas, too far. I don't go enough to be able to take it out there myself and its too expensive to ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Sleestak1

Reaction score
M&k Marine there a certified Mercury/Mercruiser.
Located in Hawthorne

4567 West El Segundo Boulevard Hawthorne, CA 90250
(310) 675-1801

Schwarzenbach's Apple Valley Marine

24021 US Highway 18
Apple Valley, CA 92307

(760) 247-8037

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So, Ive come to realize that my lower unit needs a re-build. Im pretty sure the dogs are rounded out on either the forward gear or the shift dog. Either way, should probably just get the whole thing re-built. Anybody have any suggestions or referrals as to who to use? Vegas, Havasu, and Parker are all kinda too far outta the way for me so somewhere closer to the LA area preferably.

x2 on John's Custom Marine.

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
DICK SHERRER MARINE 12328 Firestone Boulevard Norwalk, CA 90650
(562) 868-9809 - Certified Mercury/Mercruiser shop. I have never taken my boat there but hear they do good work.

John's Custom Marine 8437 Katella Avenue Stanton, CA 90680
(714) 827-7920 - You really can not go wrong with Al Stoker.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
DICK SHERRER MARINE 12328 Firestone Boulevard Norwalk, CA 90650
(562) 868-9809 - Certified Mercury/Mercruiser shop. I have never taken my boat there but hear they do good work.
Have taken our boat there for 36 years for service. I can't ever remember feeling screwed or have i had to take it back because something wasn't done correctly.. just my experience.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My only problem with all these mercury certified places is that certification usually brings a hefty price tag along with it.

I mean, if I had the tools I'd do it myself. Setting up some gears isn't the most difficult thing in the world. ESP as straight forward as a lower unit it. But, I don't have those tools and they are expensive. I've gotten one estimate from a shop up north that I truely trust that was like $1,200. I'm not sure if the motor on my boat is worth $1,200. LOL!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

stspdr

Banned
Reaction score
Menace Marine in Valencia, newer shop but he is Mercury Certified

He's in Howard Boats shop.

Dustin 661 755 0620

BoostPower

Staff member
Reaction score

One-two day turn around max. Most gear ratios in stock. We also have an exchange program if your lower is still running. 805-376-6077. We ship all over the country and abroad.😃

Sent from My Boostpower Marine Efi Beacon.