WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cruiser mods - Late Dads boat, thoughts? (Boating related - Warning)

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
attachment.php

I'm thinking

1. The windshield - Cut it down to 4" tall or remove it? The surface up there is covered in some kind of vinyl.

2. Bow rail - Maybe someone can chop that out for me to see beforehand but I am thinking to remove it completely. Its mounts are in the non slip that is part of the gel. I don't know how you get that back looking ok?

3. Filling that front window? I don't like that thing. Never have.

Starting point.

If you were to remove the Aqua, what color would you consider?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Yes yes and yes.. Grey is always a neutral color.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I like the idea of cutting down the windshield some.The rest I think I would leave alone.Bow rails are functional,I'd keep it.
Your Lavey has pink on it,don't see why the teal bothers you?:eek

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Its got a big thick rub rail. I need to ditch that as well. It coming apart so that I will have to deal with.

I'm listening. :D

kiethco

Reaction score
That's your dad's boat, always will be, as mentioned above, I'd leave it. My boat gets a lot of looks and pointing and thumbs up in the channel. People appreciate the old school stuff. Everything you mentioned changing works the way it is and artistically comes together. Your dad had great taste!

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Its got a big thick rub rail. I need to ditch that as well. It coming apart so that I will have to deal with.

Are the deck and hull joined shoe box fit or butt fit? The shoe box fit need that chunkey rub rail trim to cover the joint.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
attachment.php

I'm thinking

1. The windshield - Cut it down to 4" tall or remove it? The surface up there is covered in some kind of vinyl.

2. Bow rail - Maybe someone can chop that out for me to see beforehand but I am thinking to remove it completely. Its mounts are in the non slip that is part of the gel. I don't know how you get that back looking ok?

3. Filling that front window? I don't like that thing. Never have.

Starting point.

If you were to remove the Aqua, what color would you consider?

First off is that a Tahiti/Hawaiian/Caribbean, or something else?

Ask yourself how long do you want to keep it, and how much money do you want to spend?

Here is what I would do...

The windshield - Remove it & the vinyl.

Bow rail - remove it completely, fill the holes to match the non skid

Filling that front window - Do It!

Aqua to White

Rub Rail - replace it and try to match it with the darker of the blue

While several have said leave it alone, for one reason or another, you're still honoring your dad by keeping the boat, and you're still keeping that classic look by removing features that were out dated to begin with.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
Honor your father and keep it original:thumbsup

I wouldn't do anything. Keep it original.
That thing is very cool just the way it is.

That's your dad's boat, always will be, as mentioned above, I'd leave it. My boat gets a lot of looks and pointing and thumbs up in the channel. People appreciate the old school stuff. Everything you mentioned changing works the way it is and artistically comes together. Your dad had great taste!

I am one of the "leave it be crew".

I say leave it alone as well...that thing is cherry!

Another vote for "leave it". Embrace the oldschool look.

Leave it be....its a classic
:thumbsup:thumbsup
Me too.

ductape1000

Here.
Reaction score
I say you cut it into an open bow whaler style boat, add a stripper pole up front and a wakeboard tower. Then have it wrapped in some totally trendy awesome bro graphic!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Either that or leave it alone... :cool:

:p:D (your Dad had good taste!)

sent from a van at the waters edge.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I say you cut it into an open bow whaler style boat, add a stripper pole up front and a wakeboard tower. Then have it wrapped in some totally trendy awesome bro graphic!! :thumbup::thumbup:

My grandmothers cousin was the origional owner of 23' Hallett Day Cruiser, the 4th owner did this :grumble:

94Nautique

Once Banned
Reaction score
Dude, that baby is classic. Don't change a thing. As well, you better damn well drink the SAME beer in it as your dad. You, are a lucky man.

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
I'm all about streamlining things to make the boat look more streetrod. As for that boat I wouldn't change a thing. Look at kids clothes nowadays, everybody is embracing the retro 80's look. Everything comes full circle.

... Now with that said, everybody knows its harder to find a nice original car/truck/motorcycle/boat then one that somebody altered to what they think looks best. Things can only be original once. Honor pops and keep it the way HE would want it.

STEPPCHILD

Reaction score
...I would update the rub-rail but would leave the rest alone...:thumbsup

...I hope your father wasn't a Schaefer beer fan tho...;)

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Leave it alone....

Buy a jeep next week......

Register for the BBFF .............

Problem solved...................

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
If anything I would change the aqua color, the rest is cool as is. No reason not to dump a shit ton of coin into engine and drive and make it haul ass. Classic river sleeper that will definitely get a double take when you go blowing by, bow rail and all:thumbsup

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
If anything I would change the aqua color, the rest is cool as is. No reason not to dump a shit ton of coin into engine and drive and make it haul ass. Classic river sleeper that will definitely get a double take when you go blowing by, bow rail and all:thumbsup

She goes a solid 65 as she sits. Fine by me. I will put an MSD on it and rid the current points dist. Thats it. I think it makes maybe 450 HP.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
First off is that a Tahiti/Hawaiian/Caribbean, or something else?

Ask yourself how long do you want to keep it, and how much money do you want to spend?

Here is what I would do...

The windshield - Remove it & the vinyl.

Bow rail - remove it completely, fill the holes to match the non skid

Filling that front window - Do It!

Aqua to White

Rub Rail - replace it and try to match it with the darker of the blue

While several have said leave it alone, for one reason or another, you're still honoring your dad by keeping the boat, and you're still keeping that classic look by removing features that were out dated to begin with.

Kind of how I feel. Wife and kids say I have to leave the Aqua. The windscreen is starting to craze a bit. I want to keep my Dad "in it" for sure but if we're going to use it I would like to make it mine....maybe just a skosh.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

LMAO. Thats some funny shit Brother. My Dad would APPROVE.

Wombat

The Great Southern land
Reaction score
Honor your father and keep it original:thumbsup

I agree, your Dad had a sharp looking boat there.:thumbup:
Something that would stand out in the crowd without costing a fortune but yet would bring a fortune in good times. :)

Paul65k

Schiada Baby.......Yeah!!
Reaction score
I think it's very cool......I agree with your idea on the windshield and vinyl....that will make it "Yours" while still keeping your dad in it with you for all the rest of the stuff......I like it very much BTW :thumbup:

POWERCATDON

SAN DIEGO COUNTY
Reaction score
Boat Looks Pretty Clean, Back when your Dad was around. Did he ever express any Idea's on what he wanted to do to the Boat. I would Start Their. That's a Family Jewel.

lebel409

Reaction score
I understand about wanting honor someone by keeping it near stock...however I'd make it an open bow/Whaler type...never liked the look of a daycruiser. To me the color isn't a problem...it says "Old boat"...well, it's an old boat.

westair

Reaction score
Cool boat!:thumbup: .... remove the windshield and maybe new lower powder coated white bow rail, the rest is fine:cool

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Thanks for all the takes.

This is the vinyl stuff on the dash.

attachment.php

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Remove the windshield and get a new steering wheel .Nice boat

BajaMike

Reaction score
I wouldn't do anything. Keep it original.
That thing is very cool just the way it is.

I agree....I like it just the way it is. :thumbsup I like the windshield. Sometimes its nice to ride around out of the wind.

Beautiful boat!

Last edited:

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the takes.

This is the vinyl stuff on the dash.

attachment.php

So the padded dash goes all the way to the windshield? It'll have to stay then. So yeah, just cut the windshield down a bit. The rest, well, thats an individual call. I like it all except the windshield height and the front window on the cabin. If you go 'all-in' and do the cabin window, that means gel work and you may as well handle the aqua color at that time. You might just bring the white all the down to the blues. Again, if you're all-in, then pull the bow rail when you're in for gel.

Really nice sled!

CC

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
88 Eliminator Mojave? Your dad had good taste:thumbsup and if it's already warmed over to 450HP all you need is your original plan to install MSD...

Keep it just like it is. Classic and hauls ass. Gonna be some sad guys at the river when you go blowing by at 65 rofl:skull

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Well the time has come to work on this thing. Its currently buried in the back yard of my late fathers house in Corona, under one of those Costco car shelters.

So once its out, there is no going back. I have secured storage on the strip through an awesome friend of mine. Looking forward to taking it out there in the next few weeks.

It needs bellows and maybe u joints so who in Parker is the guy for that? Recycled Performance is very busy so I will just tug it out and get it fixed in town.

My only mod I am making so far is to cut the windshield down to 5" and follow the same taper as is existing, sand the edges, and then hit the edges with a little heat.

We will run it for a while and see what else needs done. Also rear cleats are needed so I will go after some of those as well.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Did I miss what engine/drive package it has?

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Did I miss what engine/drive package it has?

Mildly built BBC with a mid 90's Volvo DP drive. Re-powered back a couple years before he passed away.

Maybe he used it 3x before his health took a shit. I have only driven it once since it was re-powered. Original 350 / 280 Volvo power with no power trim.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
OC
I read most of this thread and had to agree with the others (some are dam funny, especially the roll bar boat one!!!) But I have to agree, it was your old mans boat and just lookin at it takes you back to a time when it and your olman were cool as shit!!! Trim the windshield if ya have to but I would just preserve the rest (maybe just updating the driveline and electrical to more modern stuff) but that boat is very very sweet just like it is.
rb

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I had forgotten about this thread. cool boat. I like all the mods you discussed, but I agree with trim the windshield, run it for a while, and go from there.

If the gel is dull, I had a guy buff my boat out when I bought it. I had them cut it, polish it, and wax it. They used all Meguiar's marine products including their synthetic wax. It cost about $380 and made the gel look brand new.

You may also want to service or replace the wheel bearings. Have a great time.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Well the time has come to work on this thing. Its currently buried in the back yard of my late fathers house in Corona, under one of those Costco car shelters.

So once its out, there is no going back. I have secured storage on the strip through an awesome friend of mine. Looking forward to taking it out there in the next few weeks.

It needs bellows and maybe u joints so who in Parker is the guy for that? Recycled Performance is very busy so I will just tug it out and get it fixed in town.

My only mod I am making so far is to cut the windshield down to 5" and follow the same taper as is existing, sand the edges, and then hit the edges with a little heat.

We will run it for a while and see what else needs done. Also rear cleats are needed so I will go after some of those as well.

Just cutting down the windshield will all that baby needs to make it your own, while still honoring your Pops.

You are going to have some good times in it! :thumbsup

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Just cutting down the windshield will all that baby needs to make it your own, while still honoring your Pops.

You are going to have some good times in it! :thumbsup

I need to cut it down. When you drive the boat it's right at your middle eye-line. Other than adding some rear cleats (pop ups) I think a nice stereo and get another foam deal made for the cabin.

We're pretty stoked to get it out of where its at. It will now live on the Parker Strip. My Dad will like that.