WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trucks driving with the tailgate down....does it really help?

SHEP

Reaction score
I saw a few today while driving to work and I kept thinking how much fuel it really saved. Any proof?

Thanks,

SHEP

Blubyu

Reaction score
I saw a few today while driving to work and I kept thinking how much fuel it really saved. Any proof?

Thanks,

SHEP

No.. The box still fills with air, dropping the tail gate does noting.

A few years ago we were fucking around in the wind tunnel, the only that that helps is a Taneau cover. The savings doesn't pay for the Taneau cover.

Last edited:

boat527

Reaction score
Discovery Channels Mythbusters:

Finding: BUSTED

Explanation: If you drive a pickup, common sense might lead you to think that opening the tailgate on the road is the more fuel efficient way to go. In fact, the idea that tailgates block airflow and increase drag became widely circulated, and some truck owners intentionally drive with the tailgates down to ease up on gas consumption.

But when MythBusters Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage drove identical trucks under the same conditions across the desert ? one with the tailgate up and the other with it down ? Jamie's tailgate-closed pickup outlasted Adam's by more than 30 miles (48 kilometers).

Closing the tailgate actually improves fuel efficiency because it creates a type of airflow called a separated bubble within the bed of the truck. As wind rushes over the moving truck, that bubble of slow-moving air deflects it over the raised tailgate. By guiding surrounding air over and across the bed of the truck, that vortex effect prevents added drag.

However, driving with the tailgate open eliminates the bubble effect, pulling the air toward the truck bed and creating more drag rather than deflecting the wind. Some gas-conscious pickup drivers still swear by leaving their tailgates open, but science sides with leaving it up.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
The only thing that method successfully does is make the driver look like a d-bag.

What if the driver has a legitimate reason, like the truck is lifted so high they can't reach to close the end gate?

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
It's a great way to get rid of all your empties :thumbsup

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
It draws the LEO's attention that you may be hiding expired tags.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
No.. The box still fills with air, dropping the tail gate does noting.

A few years ago we were fucking around in the wind tunnel, the only that that helps is a Taneau cover. The savings doesn't pay for the Taneau cover.

Mythbusters proved it's not! Better with tailgate up actually!

The only thing that method successfully does is make the driver look like a d-bag.

Yes, yes and double yes:thumbsup

Yldboyz

Reaction score

If that's the case, what were you if you had one of these?

bull_tr-02.jpg

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Guess I'm a dirt bag or DB for short;):) For years I drove with my tailgate removed completely. Of course some of the time it had a big camper on it......whatever........point is with my gate removed rather than just opened it got better mileage that way. Don't know why, it just did. Didn't seem to matter when my boat was in tow, bow was at bed level.

From my POS T-mobile thingie

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What if the driver has a legitimate reason, like the truck is lifted so high they can't reach to close the end gate?

Well, uh, if you haven't noticed, I don't know anything about that problem. :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk