WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Son Needs Housing for School in Santa Barbara

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Here is the rundown - My younger son graduated high school this year, but was a couple classes short for University. He wanted to go to Santa Barbara JC. We have always said schooling is paid for. But the wife and I said no way we are paying housing/food etc. for an out of town JC. So he says I will do it on my own. Registers at SBCC. Got himself a lifeguard job at Raging Waters. On his day off a few weeks ago he goes up to SB early before school starts and pounds the pavement for a job. Lands 2 interviews and gets a job at Starbucks. Heads up to begin work 2 weeks ago and stays with a friend up there. Housing is tough! All of the leads he has had have fallen through. He is working the 4:00 am shift and saving all his money. He is looking for anything. Cheap is good. Sharing a room OK and probably preferred to keep the cost down.
He is a good kid. Quiet with no major issues. Good head on his shoulders and working for everything he has. Wants to do this on his own. He is a good student and only a board of review away from becoming an Eagle scout.

He will be working and carrying a 15 unit school load (and working out as much as time will allow). He is well mannered and handy around the house. If anyone knows anyone who may have a spare room, room to share etc. near SBCC please let me know.

He would like to stay as close to SBCC as possible since he will not be having his car with him. Would like to keep the rent in the $450 range (tough one). He has mentioned that he would like to stay out of the Isla Vista area to avoid the partying and distraction which made me happy. He is working hard, but becoming stressed out. The wife and I got an email today with the motivational video that he watches daily to keep him pushing through. Tough to see them having a hard time growing up, but very proud at the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me via PM or on my cell at (310) 999-9791.
Thank you,
Frank

Enen

Reaction score
It's good to hear stories about character building. I wish your son the best. When he is successful, he will look back on these times with pride.

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
Thanks Enen. We are extremely proud of him. I know he will look back on the tough years with a great sense of accomplishment knowing that he made it on his own.

YoPengo

Inmate #47
Reaction score
Hey...I think you should take that great kid to Havasu this weekend. :D

Hit the road...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tio Pancho

Reaction score
I would love to. He has his own boat which is now sitting in the driveway - motor is in the garage. If he wasn't working he would be there. Looking forward to heading out in a few hours!

lebel409

Reaction score
I can't help with Santa Barbara, but if I can assit with his EBOR let me know.

hallett21

Reaction score
Is he trying to avoid IV completely? Is he working at the Starbucks in IV or one closer to downtown SB?

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
The only way he is going to get away with $450 a month for rent is sharing a room, possible with 2 others, in I.V. He might be able to find something near Milpas area or the West side, but that's like living in Pomona on Holt, Not the greatest area's.

Keep scanning craigslist, there are some good deals that pop up, but he has to be on them as soon as they appear and be ready to sign papers and have deposit in hand, otherwise they are gone in a day or 2.

A lot of working SBCC students just have to suck it up, live in IV, and make the commute. It does suck, but its the price of living here.

Good luck.

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
He's saving you a bunch of money attending a JC, suck it up and help him with housing. If he takes the right classes, his credits will transfer to a 4 year university, and you'll only have 2 years to pay tuition there.

warpt71

Lower River Lover
Reaction score
Here is the rundown - My younger son graduated high school this year, but was a couple classes short for University. He wanted to go to Santa Barbara JC. We have always said schooling is paid for. But the wife and I said no way we are paying housing/food etc. for an out of town JC. So he says I will do it on my own. Registers at SBCC. Got himself a lifeguard job at Raging Waters. On his day off a few weeks ago he goes up to SB early before school starts and pounds the pavement for a job. Lands 2 interviews and gets a job at Starbucks. Heads up to begin work 2 weeks ago and stays with a friend up there. Housing is tough! All of the leads he has had have fallen through. He is working the 4:00 am shift and saving all his money. He is looking for anything. Cheap is good. Sharing a room OK and probably preferred to keep the cost down.
He is a good kid. Quiet with no major issues. Good head on his shoulders and working for everything he has. Wants to do this on his own. He is a good student and only a board of review away from becoming an Eagle scout.

He will be working and carrying a 15 unit school load (and working out as much as time will allow). He is well mannered and handy around the house. If anyone knows anyone who may have a spare room, room to share etc. near SBCC please let me know.

He would like to stay as close to SBCC as possible since he will not be having his car with him. Would like to keep the rent in the $450 range (tough one). He has mentioned that he would like to stay out of the Isla Vista area to avoid the partying and distraction which made me happy. He is working hard, but becoming stressed out. The wife and I got an email today with the motivational video that he watches daily to keep him pushing through. Tough to see them having a hard time growing up, but very proud at the same time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me via PM or on my cell at (310) 999-9791.
Thank you,
Frank

Rent is tough up here, thats about the only downside! I was renting a converted garage w/ a full kitchen and bathroom last year down there for $1350. Finding a room is gonna be hard. There were some apartments that were real popular w/ the SBCC kids, La Brezza Apartments, http://www.labrezzaapts.com/index.aspx There are a bunch of complex's in this area. Also craigslist has a sublets section, most of the leases are for a year but kids go home for summer and winter but still have the rent bill, could find something there for cheap.

If he was mobile, I have a spare room in Solvang, but thats a 30 mile commute. If I can help in any way, I will, just let me know

The only way he is going to get away with $450 a month for rent is sharing a room, possible with 2 others, in I.V. He might be able to find something near Milpas area or the West side, but that's like living in Pomona on Holt, Not the greatest area's.

Keep scanning craigslist, there are some good deals that pop up, but he has to be on them as soon as they appear and be ready to sign papers and have deposit in hand, otherwise they are gone in a day or 2.

A lot of working SBCC students just have to suck it up, live in IV, and make the commute. It does suck, but its the price of living here.

Good luck.

Pretty spot on right there!

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Stay out of Isla Vista at all costs. No reason to have him get distracted by the retards out there and it's fucking rediculously overpriced.

Have him and yourself hit craigslist several times a day, there are rooms for 4-500 but they are usually in Goleta, not downtown...but I've seen it happen, you just have to be first to get there with the money. Expect to pay 700 for a room downtown on average for a DEAL. Most rooms go for 1000-1200 downtown....the price you can rent a studio for if you can find one.

Property here is simply out of control, if I hear of anyone who has a spot for rent I'll let you know asap, good luck :thumbsup

My shop is on Milpas, it's not as bad as it used to be at all. Don't let that prevent you from getting a deal. Most of the gangbangers are gone, and what's left are old timers, most of who I know, or know of through other contacts. If he's as smart as you are telling us, he'll be fine.

Last edited:

relaxalot

Reaction score
All kinds of financial aid is available to those that qualify. Have him check it out with the schools financial aid advisor. My son is attends UCSB and works on campus (no commute) as a CSO (Campus Security Officer). Great job to have there. You don't need a car there at all if you have a job on campus. I don't know much about SBCC but I do know how expensive the area is. He lives in IV with about 5 others in a 3 bd apartment. His first year he lived in the dorms. I did hear that there are many places available throughout the summer because in IV you have to rent for a 12 month cycle. Alot of kids sublet their rooms and return in the fall. My son attends year round and works when he can. He loves the school and area. Who wouldn't? Good luck with your son!