WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

My Brother stopped a mugging today.

dribble

Reaction score
My brother who has AIDS and is gay was just getting done with a breathing treatment where he lives in Chicago, confronted a robber who punched a woman while four healthy men stood by and did nothing. I honestly didn't know he had the heart but he definitely takes after our mom .

This is what happened:

Life in the big city. I was waiting for the bus after going to the clinic to get a breathing treatment, when a little Latin woman comes out of her store across the street holding her face and crying for help. "Please someone help, that guy right there, he hit me, someone stop him". There had to be four men standing right there next to the guy, and they were just standing there like they were brain dead and nobody was doing anything..... so I ran across the street, and saw her, her face was red, she was crying and still asking for someone to help and stop this guy. I got in front of the guy, who was way over a foot taller than her and yelled "Did you hurt that woman?" He kept walking, I got back in front of him and said "Did you do that to her?" Bam! Bam! He slugged me in the eye and my head and I grabbed him and we landed on the ground and he got up and started running, people still standing around, not calling the police, or helping or nothing. I chased him around the corner on to Irving Park Blvd. yelling "I'm gonna catch you, you punk, I can run as far as you! (total lie, I was already wheezing and huffing and puffing, wondering if I should go back for another breathing treatment!).

I ran up to some traffic monitors- they were directing traffic for a Cubs game, they had had walkie talkies, so I told them what happened, asked them to call the cops-- those two idiots acted confused and wouldn't help and finally a police cruiser rolled past in the traffic. I flagged them down and asked them if they were looking for an assault, they said yes, I described the guy and told them they could still catch him at the next corner because that run of Irving Park Blvd had no connecting streets for 3 blocks- it was two huge graveyards on each side-big mistake. I headed back to the store, picked up my bag of pastries I had dropped on the sidewalk- my cherry tart got smushed in the brawl. The police were questioning the woman and I told them slugged me in the eye and punched me in the head - no big deal, my grandmother could hit harder. The woman called me "her savior" the police took my information and a couple minutes later they rolled up with the guy, she identified him- I didn't think it was the same guy, but it was, he was on camera in the store. They all thanked me, and I went to the bar to have a beer.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good for him. There are still good people out there.

kgt

Reaction score
Your brother is a hero. :thumbup:

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Your brother is a hero. :thumbup:

Agreed. Confronting evil simply because it IS evil, and doing so to save another person from being the victim of evil...that is a hero.
Your brother should be proud of himself. I am proud of him.

BeerMaker

"B" Team Token Black Guy
Reaction score
On a side note, my older cousin is gay. When we were younger he was always into weight lifting, all my girlfriends loved him, thought he was cute. We would play fight, box whatever, and he would kick my ass every time. Any of you that know me, know I'm no light weight but this dude was strong as an ox. He never came out officially, but the family all knows now and doesn't care. That dude helped raise me.

TBulger

Reaction score
Hats off to everybody that helps anybody, sure makes a body feel good. I try every day. :)

JBS

Reaction score
You got a good brother. Make sure he knows you are proud of him

milkmoney

Reaction score
Good job to ur brother. Kinda puts ur faith back in humanity when u hear or read about this kinda of acts :)

grumpy88

Reaction score
Maybe the lady walked by and hit RD truck with her purse and be was just looking for a dumpster to deposit it in ! Just kidding ! Nice to hear about good people .