WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford 6.4 Diesel

DaBank

Reaction score
Is the motor any better than a 6.0 Diesel? I had a 2004 6.0 for 75k miles and at 70k the egr and a few things went out but it did not hurt engine but still was a few grand to fix but never had one problem before and it ran strong. I am looking at a 6.4 with 85k miles is this better than the 6.0 reputation? Frank

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
My son-in-law works on the Alaska pipeline in Prudhoe bay and he said they are having all kinds of issues with them

dschifan

Reaction score
6.4 is way better than 6.0. If u wanna way better get the 6.7 I love mine and is better mileage and power

Spot

Reaction score
The 6.4 also has some issues that plagues most of them. It is similar to the 6.0 in that respect. The 6.4 motor is laid out completely different than the 6.0. This causes most of the work on the 6.4 to be done by raising the cab or pulling the motor. That just adds crazy expenses to relatively simple fixes.

rrrr

Reaction score
I bought a big dollar F250 with a 6.4 in 2008. I hated that fucking thing. Sold it for a big loss five months after I bought it.

Previous 6.0 got 16 mpg, the 6.4 got 11 and was a dog.

Reaction score
Lots of issues, I have a 6.0l and a 6.4l. Buddy had the 6.7l. Major issues with all. Now we all drive dodge diesels. Mainly out of not wanting to have our businesses go bankrupt on fixing everything after the 7.3 l. That's my experience

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
The 6.4 is waaaaaaaay worse than the 6.0. They get shit mileage, run hot as fuck, and have like 7 different types of radiators that are all plastic and fail often (some). They also develop an oil leak at the back of the motor that will cost you about 5k. We just had one of ours done. I'd rather build a 6.o to last rather than upkeep a 6.4 or drop 70k on a new 6.7.

DaBank

Reaction score
Wow sounds like they are worst than the 6.0s I got great mpg and it had great power pulled my 32 Advantage and my 32 Skater with no problems.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I would take a 6.0 or 6.4 all day. Known issues fixed and they can run.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The 6.4 is waaaaaaaay worse than the 6.0. They get shit mileage, run hot as fuck, and have like 7 different types of radiators that are all plastic and fail often (some). They also develop an oil leak at the back of the motor that will cost you about 5k. We just had one of ours done. I'd rather build a 6.o to last rather than upkeep a 6.4 or drop 70k on a new 6.7.

X100
Do a search on this site, plenty of factual issues with 6.4
12 radiators, 3 turbos in 3 trucks. Ford payed us back on 2, sold the other. All our towing, hauling was within weight ratings per scales, court records.
Much less issues with 6.7's
I keep track of our 6 6.7's and another 6 of fellow contractors, 1 turbo, 1 egr, that's it, much better record.

I'd go cummins or Dmax if you have to go used. Not brand loyal here, Non DOWN time loyal lol!

Just bought a new 3500 dodge cummins for the fleet yesterday, will report its reliability as it gets used.
Pulling big tex 5th flat with cat 262D skid steer, attachments at around 15K lbs, well within its ratings.

HolyMoly

reMember
Reaction score
Another vote that the 6.4 is a POS. :thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown:thumbsdown

There will be people who say they have had zero issues and have 80k-120k miles. Well...that mileage is barely broken in for a diesel. And if Ford got their hands on it in their service depts....they do a de-tune to make them out last the power train warranty and their power sucks and so does their mpg...The mpg sucks because the driver tends to put their foot further into it since the power is gone.

spectras only

Reaction score
X100

Just bought a new 3500 dodge cummins for the fleet yesterday, will report its reliability as it gets used.
Pulling big tex 5th flat with cat 262D skid steer, attachments at around 15K lbs, well within its ratings.

LR, went to see my buddy [ owner of Chrysler dealership ] yesterday just to see some new vehicles on his lot. I've checked out the new 3500 Laramie dually. What a great truck. The leather interior is now nicer than that of the King Ranch's of Ford. 85K, that's a lot :eek to spend on a truck, unless you can write it off for business.

"Thirty-thousand pounds. That's how much weight the 2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn dualie can tow when properly equipped. To put it in perspective, that's the equivalent of about nine SRT Vipers, or two loaded U.S. Army AH-64 Apache helicopters. Still not impressed? Well that's also about the weight of Big Ben or, if the Internet is to be believed, about 96,000 pickles. That's a ton (well, 15 tons) of weight, and yet the new Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn does it with ease, and with its occupants bathed in Texas-style luxury."

prosthogod

Reaction score
I've owned 4 7.3s , 1 6.4, and now a 6.7. By far the ).7 has the most power and no problems at 40k miles. Way better mileage than 6.4. I went through 3 radiators on the 6.4
I say get a 7.3 or 6.7. Stay away from 6.0 and 6.4 same engine with different problems

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
I've owned 4 7.3s , 1 6.4, and now a 6.7. By far the ).7 has the most power and no problems at 40k miles. Way better mileage than 6.4. I went through 3 radiators on the 6.4
I say get a 7.3 or 6.7. Stay away from 6.0 and 6.4 same engine with different problems

Huh? No where near the same motor. Where did you get that from? The 6.4 was a complete redesign by navistar.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
LR, went to see my buddy [ owner of Chrysler dealership ] yesterday just to see some new vehicles on his lot. I've checked out the new 3500 Laramie dually. What a great truck. The leather interior is now nicer than that of the King Ranch's of Ford. 85K, that's a lot :eek to spend on a truck, unless you can write it off for business.

"Thirty-thousand pounds. That's how much weight the 2014 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn dualie can tow when properly equipped. To put it in perspective, that's the equivalent of about nine SRT Vipers, or two loaded U.S. Army AH-64 Apache helicopters. Still not impressed? Well that's also about the weight of Big Ben or, if the Internet is to be believed, about 96,000 pickles. That's a ton (well, 15 tons) of weight, and yet the new Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn does it with ease, and with its occupants bathed in Texas-style luxury."

Wife got the bare bones CC dually 2WD for $45K OTD taxes, everything. We can get a Ford same equipped for 44K so decided to try one out. They started at $55K with the fleet mgr,
Wifey has bought 9 new trucks, 14 new grinders, trailers in last 5 years, she can deal lol.
I'm sure some can do a better price on dodges, was her first time with it. She has fords and kenworths locked down:thumbup:

welldigger00

Reaction score
When you get in your truck, and leave your house you usually don't think : will I make it back home today? The simple feeling of confidence that I can come and go as I please is lost with the new ford trucks for me. I got stung on all three, the '12 being the worst. 8 times on a wrecker in 12 months of owning it. To be fair, it was a 550 that was a service truck, and weighed like 18k lbs. I also live in the mountains. So, everywhere it went, it was pulling a full load. I never worry about coming home each day, or getting to the job site each day in my 7.3 powered rigs, that are set up the same.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
When I was thinking of selling my 6.0, everyone on the Diesel forums told me that hot ticket that most people want these days is the 6.0 with the Bulletproof kit. They said 6.4's and 6.7's are junk. The 6.0 is a solid motor and tranny set up if you put the Bulletproof on it.

When I did put my 6.0 up for sale, it went quickly.

Eggbeatn ur Ass

Reaction score
It all depends on who has the truck and how its taken care of. I've had my 08 6.4 since 2010. it had 30k on it when i bought it now it has 115k. I have replaced one radiator it just had a small leak did not leave me standed. I know they are known for that issue and I was well aware of all the potential problems when I bought it. I've also had to replace an alternator and a thermostat. But its been an awesome truck. Ford, Chevy and dodge diesels all have their own set of issues. After 2007 most of the problems related to the DPF filter and EGR valve in them. Plain and simple diesels are not ment to be filtered and restricted. After a year of owning my truck I was sick and tired of seeing the "Cleaning exhaust Filter" coming across the dash when I was driving. The motor starts to make a chatter that is cause by the regeneration mode its going through, drove me nuts. So I bought the H&S mini max programmer that lets you remove the egr and dpf filter. Since then my mpg went from 10-14mpg to an honest 15mpg towing and a best of 19.6mpg(driving like a pussy). But with my lead foot around town and doing 75-80 on the hwy it gets 16-17mpg. I love the truck, I also like the chevys and dodges too. I would suggest removing the smog equipment the truck runs like a raped date even in stock mode. I just put the DPF back in and take the programmer out when I smog it. Its really simple to do. Long story short buy what you like the best and drive it.

Eggbeatn ur Ass

Reaction score
It all depends on who has the truck and how its taken care of. I've had my 08 6.4 since 2010. it had 30k on it when i bought it now it has 115k. I have replaced one radiator it just had a small leak did not leave me standed. I know they are known for that issue and I was well aware of all the potential problems when I bought it. I've also had to replace an alternator and a thermostat. But its been an awesome truck. Ford, Chevy and dodge diesels all have their own set of issues. After 2007 most of the problems related to the DPF filter and EGR valve in them. Plain and simple diesels are not ment to be filtered and restricted. After a year of owning my truck I was sick and tired of seeing the "Cleaning exhaust Filter" coming across the dash when I was driving. The motor starts to make a chatter that is cause by the regeneration mode its going through, drove me nuts. So I bought the H&S mini max programmer that lets you remove the egr and dpf filter. Since then my mpg went from 10-14mpg to an honest 15mpg towing and a best of 19.6mpg(driving like a pussy). But with my lead foot around town and doing 75-80 on the hwy it gets 16-17mpg. I love the truck, I also like the chevys and dodges too. I would suggest removing the smog equipment the truck runs like a raped date even in stock mode. I just put the DPF back in and take the programmer out when I smog it. Its really simple to do. Long story short buy what you like the best and drive it.

Also I am religious with maintenance nothing but Ford Motorcraft oil, fluid and filters. Oil changes every 5k, fuel filters every 10k, tranny service every 30k. I am a firm believer that is what leads to problems in any vehicle especially in these newer diesel trucks. Just look at the price tag on these truck why would you not maintain them properly? Seems like a no brainer to me

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Also I am religious with maintenance nothing but Ford Motorcraft oil, fluid and filters. Oil changes every 5k, fuel filters every 10k, tranny service every 30k. I am a firm believer that is what leads to problems in any vehicle especially in these newer diesel trucks. Just look at the price tag on these truck why would you not maintain them properly? Seems like a no brainer to me

This is true. The Motorcraft oil made by Conoco Phillips/Kendall used to be really good with a high tbn. It has gone down. Check out Valvoline Premium Blue.

kgt

Reaction score
We have the service contract in our area for the b.c. ambulance service. they used to use ford diesels, but the costs and reliability issues are to great, they have over 500 ambulances with a maintenance schedule that you have to see to believe basically they are in for a 4 plus hour service every month with a mandate that what needs repair is repaired. The new units are a combo of durmaxes and chevy 6 liter gas engines. in speaking with the 4 guys that control all invoices submitted by many service centres through out b.c. the issues with the fords are, head gaskets, high pressure pumps, injectors, coolant leaks and rear differential failures (6.0 and 6.4). And i can say first hand those are true in my experience at the dealer.
the chevys have been doing so much better, although the 6 liter gas engines have gone through a few transmissions they report.
Not trying to bash the ford guys but its just what i see on units that are looked after better than anyone could other than the government as they are the only ones with the bankroll to look after these. :)

Reaction score
Duramax.... Did someone say Duramax?

They're ok. I've had 2 with no real problems. Downsides is the ifs front end and the lightest duty chassis of the big 3. Otherwise a nice trans that really helps the motor

JRS1939

Reaction score
Our 6.7 with 29k miles grenaded this weekend on the way to our BITD race...

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
We have the service contract in our area for the b.c. ambulance service. they used to use ford diesels, but the costs and reliability issues are to great, they have over 500 ambulances with a maintenance schedule that you have to see to believe basically they are in for a 4 plus hour service every month with a mandate that what needs repair is repaired. The new units are a combo of durmaxes and chevy 6 liter gas engines. in speaking with the 4 guys that control all invoices submitted by many service centres through out b.c. the issues with the fords are, head gaskets, high pressure pumps, injectors, coolant leaks and rear differential failures (6.0 and 6.4). And i can say first hand those are true in my experience at the dealer.
the chevys have been doing so much better, although the 6 liter gas engines have gone through a few transmissions they report.
Not trying to bash the ford guys but its just what i see on units that are looked after better than anyone could other than the government as they are the only ones with the bankroll to look after these. :)

The 6 liter Powerstroke has too many known issues. You can't compare anything on the market to that motor.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Here's our new guinea pig, rear camera, blue tooth, pw/pdl, for $45K OTD, supposed 37K lbs GCWR, I'm skeptical, but we'll be nowhere near that, has the Aisin trans, which has a good history:

20140504_120513.jpg

Here's the payed off by Ford 3 years ago 6.4. Goes on the sales block this week, 2 turbos, 3 radiators, in first 25K. Ran pretty well after Ford payed it off:thumbup:. 105K miles now. Oil changed, all records for everything on this truck from day one, still don't trust her/lol.

20140504_120444.jpg

The new trailer for the Dodge, should pull well:
20140504_120350.jpg
20140504_120257.jpg

Not our first cummins, have two of these and a 4 6.7's in two of our planers:
20140504_120635.jpg

LowRiver2

Reaction score
The 6 liter Powerstroke has too many known issues. You can't compare anything on the market to that motor.

Agreed, and if the ambulance's are the van version, they're detuned 6.0's at that. LAFD had around 300 03-06' E350 6.0's, still have some. They switched to Dodge last year and are doing well, few issues so far, however none tow, which is a completely different form of stress on these drivetrains.