WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

D

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I know on Ford's site, you could build a truck, and see all the specs as you build it.

GM doesn't offer something like that on their site? Maybe they are embarrassed! hehe

Trailer Life used to have all the specs in a PDF format. Not sure if they still do it...

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Well let's see... GM has been using the same engine/trans for the past 15 years. GM has made improvements to that combo over the years giving their trucks more performance and reliability. Ford has gone through 4 engines in the same time frame.

Both mfgs pretty much offer the same bells and whistles. The only thing Ford really has is the solid front axle. If 90% of your driving is on asphalt, the IFS Chevy is a better option.

Here's the comp link from the Chevy website.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-2500hd-heavy-duty-trucks/compare-vehicles.html
Sucks that Ford only offers a 60k warranty unlike GM and Dodge.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
THIS ^^

The Dmax Engine / Trans combo is well sorted and very tough, and has proven very reliable. The new Ford diesel is better than the 6.4, which was better than the 6.0 (some will disagree!), but it still has not achieved the solid performance record of the LBZ / LMM / LML duramax. But I will say that I HATE my duramax front suspension, coming from a solid axle it just feels weak and not up to the task. Mine's a 2008 4x4, and I know the 2011+ trucks have revised frames with beefier IFS up front. But i do miss having a solid axle, which my 2003 dodge cummins had. That truck rode rough, was loud, and had its issues, but it was tough!

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
THIS ^^

The Dmax Engine / Trans combo is well sorted and very tough, and has proven very reliable. The new Ford diesel is better than the 6.4, which was better than the 6.0 (some will disagree!), but it still has not achieved the solid performance record of the LBZ / LMM / LML duramax. But I will say that I HATE my duramax front suspension, coming from a solid axle it just feels weak and not up to the task. Mine's a 2008 4x4, and I know the 2011+ trucks have revised frames with beefier IFS up front. But i do miss having a solid axle, which my 2003 dodge cummins had. That truck rode rough, was loud, and had its issues, but it was tough!

I've had two sold front axle Fords. One was lifted, 4 linked on coil overs. I agree that they feel more rigid and ride "more like a truck", but the IFS Chevy is just much more forgiving on our crappy CA highways. The IFS is GM's weak link in the truck, but like you mentioned the 2011+ set up has solved some strength issues. I also wasn't much of a fan of the poor turning radius on a SFA truck.

I have 2 close friends with well over 200k on their Duramax trucks and quite a few acquaintances with high miles as well. The majority of these trucks have had the shit beat out of them and still run hard. I'd for sure buy another Duramax!

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I've had two sold front axle Fords. One was lifted, 4 linked on coil overs. I agree that they feel more rigid and ride "more like a truck", but the IFS Chevy is just much more forgiving on our crappy CA highways. The IFS is GM's weak link in the truck, but like you mentioned the 2011+ set up has solved some strength issues. I also wasn't much of a fan of the poor turning radius on a SFA truck.

Not sure about the ford, but my '03 solid axle dodge long bed definetly out-turns my short bed duramax. My 4x4 IFS chevy has a horrible turning radius. The Dmax has a nicer ride, but i always have to "steer" the truck to keep it going straight on the freeway. It feels like it plows into corners, and I can mentally imagine it tucking the tires under itself as it struggles to corner (because thats what it feels like!). It always wants to pull to one side or the other, and it dosen't matter if I have stock tires, or my 33" all terrains on it. I do like the smooth ride, but i dont think it's worth it compared to all the negatives. The powertrain is great though. Im a chevy guy, but I struggle with being happy with that truck because of the suspension.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I am on my 3rd Duramax (2005, 2011 and 2015) and each year has gotten better...the new truck is miles ahead of the 2011 and that was miles ahead of the '05 I loved each and them and could not ever see buying any combo but the Duramax/Allison. The new one is so stinkin quiet its like driving a Caddy

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Not sure about the ford, but my '03 solid axle dodge long bed definetly out-turns my short bed duramax. My 4x4 IFS chevy has a horrible turning radius. The Dmax has a nicer ride, but i always have to "steer" the truck to keep it going straight on the freeway. It feels like it plows into corners, and I can mentally imagine it tucking the tires under itself as it struggles to corner (because thats what it feels like!). It always wants to pull to one side or the other, and it dosen't matter if I have stock tires, or my 33" all terrains on it. I do like the smooth ride, but i dont think it's worth it compared to all the negatives. The powertrain is great though. Im a chevy guy, but I struggle with being happy with that truck because of the suspension.

GM's IFS is great for street driving, which is what 99% of people do.
If you're getting a wadnering feeling, then IMHO something is amiss, and you should get it checked out.
It should steer better, and track straighter, than any live front axle vehicle.

Turning circle depends on a number of factors, including wheelbase and the amount of "cut" the suspension allows the front wheels to turn, so it's hard to compare.
Plow/understeer is the same story, though a lot of understeer is designed-in to all vehicles, and especially trucks...unloaded beds makes these trucks prone to oversteer, and lawyers don't like that, so the engineers crank-up the understeer to keep drivers safe.

For heavy off-roading, a well-designed IFS is preferable, but GM's IFS wasn't designed to do this.
You can throw all the aftermarket parts you want at it, and it wont be as durable as Ford/Dodge live front axles.
I'm not a GM guy, but this isn't bashing the system - it was designed for a specific intended use, and that's highway/light off-roading.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

Weird. My Chevy drove straight as an arrow and rode incredibly well. I give a lot of credit to Custom Truck Shop for that as they lifted it and performed all the suspension service on my truck. The only suspension related issues I had was a cracked cross member (torsion bar mount). This happened twice in 5 years. It's common for lifted GM HD trucks. When I went back into a Ford (for a very short time), I absolutely hated the way it rode. I've never owned a Doge. Just can't bring myself to own one. :D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Chatter I gleaned from the truck forums:

The 2015 Ford diesel has a lot more power and torque than last year.
Talk in the truck forums is they finally went away from Turbos with failing ceramic bearings and are trying once again to run a no waste gate system with an increased air flow but less yet consistent manifold pressure theory.
How the hell that works damfino, but Ford is trying it again goes the tale,, still trying to figure it out.

Bigger, new design injectors for 2015 too.

I'm a believer the more power the less MPG.
Damn those Fords have nice styling.

MPG and reliability and brakes (and jake brake) is why we went GM.
Has it all over the competition by miles.

Did I say the Fords have nice styling?
Damn they look good.

So far the few youtube comparison tests are being called into question because the Ram and Fords get a rolling start and the Dmax is from dead start.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
Lifted since new 05 DMAX with 175K miles. Sure I have replaced the front end IFS pieces but hey it is better than all the drive train issues guys are having. :thumbsup

I like my raptor for the styling and performance but have never been remotely tempted to buy a powerstroke.

DMAX_Boat.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
GM's IFS is great for street driving, which is what 99% of people do.
If you're getting a wadnering feeling, then IMHO something is amiss, and you should get it checked out.
It should steer better, and track straighter, than any live front axle vehicle.

Turning circle depends on a number of factors, including wheelbase and the amount of "cut" the suspension allows the front wheels to turn, so it's hard to compare.
Plow/understeer is the same story, though a lot of understeer is designed-in to all vehicles, and especially trucks...unloaded beds makes these trucks prone to oversteer, and lawyers don't like that, so the engineers crank-up the understeer to keep drivers safe.

For heavy off-roading, a well-designed IFS is preferable, but GM's IFS wasn't designed to do this.
You can throw all the aftermarket parts you want at it, and it wont be as durable as Ford/Dodge live front axles.
I'm not a GM guy, but this isn't bashing the system - it was designed for a specific intended use, and that's highway/light off-roading.

My expeience is ive had a 100% stock 4x4 dodge, 100% stock duramax, and another 100% stock IFS chevy, and the dodge hands down drove like it was on rails (but rough). My IFS trucks wander, find grooves in the road, etc compared to a solid axle. The dodge literally felt like a train on tracks, nothing upset it from its lane, no pothole, groove, crosswind, etc. I miss that feeling.

BajaMike

Reaction score
Tom, get a Chevy or GMC crew cab short bed, you can't go wrong....looks better, drives better and tows plenty.....better than any Ford or Dodge!

Leave it stock, no lift and no chip....and it will run for you!

:D

JD D05

Reaction score
All 3 make a good truck. Give and take in some areas like anything else.

Engine wise I love the Cummins and the Duramax...With that said the 6.7 powerstroke is an absolute beast of a motor, damn near internally balanced etc...Rods are really all it needs above 700HP.

You really cant go wrong with any of them.. But if I had to rank them as of today.

Ford
Dodge
Chevy

pronstar

Reaction score
My expeience is ive had a 100% stock 4x4 dodge, 100% stock duramax, and another 100% stock IFS chevy, and the dodge hands down drove like it was on rails (but rough). My IFS trucks wander, find grooves in the road, etc compared to a solid axle. The dodge literally felt like a train on tracks, nothing upset it from its lane, no pothole, groove, crosswind, etc. I miss that feeling.

You're probably the only person who likes the way 4x4 Dodges steer and drive on the highway LOL...and I'm a Dodge guy, just sold my '07 5.9 and I know a ton of people who own similar trucks.

I can tell you that I got my truck to ride like a creampuff, but it wasn't cheap :D

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
All 3 make a good truck. Give and take in some areas like anything else.

Engine wise I love the Cummins and the Duramax...With that said the 6.7 powerstroke is an absolute beast of a motor, damn near internally balanced etc...Rods are really all it needs above 700HP.

You really cant go wrong with any of them.. But if I had to rank them as of today.

Ford
Dodge
Chevy

You'd rank a Chevy dead last and a Ford 1st? ha! Please elaborate.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
What are you...new?
They explain everything!!! :D:p

GM should use video #1 for a Super Bowl commercial. :thumbup:
Video #2 shows a Cummins pulling a Vortec 6.0. Not a Duramax. Not really a fair fight. BTW- If I was the guy in that Chevy I would have run up to that guy in the Dodge swinging! Then again.. this is all probably normal behavior for a late night in a Walmart parking lot.
Like video #2, video #3 demonstrates ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

BR44

Reaction score
I didn't either... but then I bought one because it was better :thumbup:

Ive been a Chevy/GMC guy for 25 years. Never saw myself in a Dodge ever! Bought my first one a few weeks ago. Im so over the NEW GM way of doing things and not taking care of their customers and Ford seems like they are still figuring things out. Local dealer up here is moving to new facility and got a good deal. Towing is night and day different with the 2500 from my Chevy Dually.

lf2

Reaction score
Ive been a Chevy/GMC guy for 25 years. Never saw myself in a Dodge ever! Bought my first one a few weeks ago. Im so over the NEW GM way of doing things and not taking care of their customers and Ford seems like they are still figuring things out. Local dealer up here is moving to new facility and got a good deal. Towing is night and day different with the 2500 from my Chevy Dually.

I am the same exact as you except i have been a ford guy except for my first truck when i was 16 everything after that has been a ford. My dad has been a dodge guy for a long time and i have never liked them ( besides how good they ran with the cummins) something about the new dodges really impressed me. I bought a new 2014 2500 4x4 cummins a month and a half ago and so far am really liking the dodge. Good mpg, rides good with the coil/link rear suspension, interior features, etc.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Fuck Ford Motor company, Buy a Dodge or Chevy. I used to own all Fords and will never buy another. Cant believe how many people are so stuck on brand loyalty they would go back after getting fucked on the 6.0's. I jumped ship and don't ever plan on going back.

JD D05

Reaction score
Fuck Ford Motor company, Buy a Dodge or Chevy. I used to own all Fords and will never buy another. Cant believe how many people are so stuck on brand loyalty they would go back after getting fucked on the 6.0's. I jumped ship and don't ever plan on going back.

6.0 is a great motor.

kgt

Reaction score
Ford still makes a diesel? ..lol
Kidding. Being a gm tech for 20 years and being on my 2nd ltz dmax my answer is clear. We had a ford diesel tech who was at my dealer for 3 years and the stories he had was almost comical, he came from a store with 18 techs and was their only diesel tech. I remember his first few weeks in he asked me where all the diesels were, i said we see them for odd glow plug issue (after the injector issue cleared up from 01-04) but other than that they are a reliable piece.
the duramax is so well sorted out, refinement since 2001 with tweaks and constant improvement along the way.
As far as the way they drive, if they drive and "wander" something is wrong, there is no way with a GOOD set of tires and correct amount of caster that they should wander, i never have to "steer" a truck after a CORRECT wheel alignment and proper tires that cost more that 99 bucks each lol. In regards to the durability issue we have never had a front diff blown, the old trucks (01-07) had some idler arm and pitman arm issues, most of those i noted had large tires and lifts in them. the later ones we do way less of, and since 2011 i don't recall replacing a pitman arm, they underwent a signifiant frame change in 2011 that continues on in the 2015 hds.
Anyway, in the end like i always say. they all have issues all that matters is what you want it to say on the grill.

Ps, if your the type to get in and out of trucks every 3 years, do a comparison on resale, at least up here the answer is clear as to what will give you a better buck on the trade in/sell side.

JD D05

Reaction score
Personal preference it is. Thank you for your answer.

I have spent the last 14 years traveling the country racing diesel from all 3. Everything from a tuner to 1500 HP plus. You learn real quick what every trans, block, rod, charger, etc will break and when. It is actually the little stuff that pisses me off like a tailgate handle or something. I have owned all 3 a few times over. All 3 make a great product.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and test drive the 2015 chevy Duramax :thumbup:

They have the front end issues sorted out now

Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
A Bad Experience is better than good advise.
Ask any Powerstroke owner.

You can't reason with a Ford owner.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

What bothers me about Ford more than producing a problem laden engine was the FACT they just swept it under the rug along with their owners. Really screwed a bunch of money out of folks that would not have spent a thing if they were driving a Dodge or a Chevy.

My boat partner builds construction trailers and car haulers and they deliver all over CA, NV, AZ, etc. He has a 06 Dodge 3500 and two F550's all running every day. His partner has an 2010 Duramax with like 80k miles. The Dodge has right at 300k mi on the original trans mind you. Some issues, mostly TIPM related and 2 injector lines, replaced the steering cross link, and solenoid and traducers in the trans. Thats it. The 550's are 7.3's and 300k miles on those but drama here and there and major engine work on both. Leaky injector cups requiring a complete top ends. Fuel tank lining failure plagued them for a year with constant shutdown and no Ford guy able to sort that issue.

So you think the Dodge would win over as it's clearly been the best vehicle and they know it. What are they buying?

It's between Ford and Chevy and they ended up ordering a new Chevy. Something I just don't understand because they have little to no reliability history in towing with one. The Dodge has been gold...not even considered.

For me the Duramax is choice 2 mostly because of the IFS and because they are tight and complicated to work on. I also cant stand the track width difference between front and rear on the Chevy. Stupid.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
What bothers me about Ford more than producing a problem laden engine was the FACT they just swept it under the rug along with their owners. Really screwed a bunch of money out of folks that would not have spent a thing if they were driving a Dodge or a Chevy.
What's great about Ford is their salesmen though👍
In 05 when I bought my Dodge it was at the advise of the Ford salesman and his manager that if Dodge would sell me a 1 ton 4x4 for the same price they wanted for their awesome 6.0 F250 I should go buy it.

I did.Those guys saved me so much money,time and headache...I'm for ever great full .

NicPaus

Reaction score
6.0 is a great motor.

LOL Great for costing $$$$$ in repairs. I had 2 an 03 and 07 and I have been on the side of the road many times with friends 6.0's. None of my issues would of been fixed with the bulletproof kit. 03 cracked y pipe, had to remove tranny to replace, injectors, Just died a few times and would not start (never resolved) The 07 was leaking oil in 5 spots by 20,000 miles. Had to pull motor and rerseal the whole thing. IT also would not make it up a hill with a load without blowing the turbo hose. The 07 cost me $37,000 to own for the 27,000 miles I used it. The 03 blue booked for $18,000 but after 5 months for sale got $9500.

The 07 was a night mare with Ford, tried to fight with them and they sued me for breach of contract. Why pay for a work truck that wont work was my reason for stopping payment. They could care less that they fucked up and produced a bunch of lemons. Let the consumer eat our mistake is how they operate.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Going to go test drive a 2500 diesel today. If I like it I am probably just going to wrap it up and be on my way.

Will post what I end up doing.

Working with Jason over at Selman in Orange.....

JD D05

Reaction score
LOL Great for costing $$$$$ in repairs. I had 2 an 03 and 07 and I have been on the side of the road many times with friends 6.0's. None of my issues would of been fixed with the bulletproof kit. 03 cracked y pipe, had to remove tranny to replace, injectors, Just died a few times and would not start (never resolved) The 07 was leaking oil in 5 spots by 20,000 miles. Had to pull motor and rerseal the whole thing. IT also would not make it up a hill with a load without blowing the turbo hose. The 07 cost me $37,000 to own for the 27,000 miles I used it. The 03 blue booked for $18,000 but after 5 months for sale got $9500.

The 07 was a night mare with Ford, tried to fight with them and they sued me for breach of contract. Why pay for a work truck that wont work was my reason for stopping payment. They could care less that they fucked up and produced a bunch of lemons. Let the consumer eat our mistake is how they operate.

World's first diesel powered coolant pump.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
What's great about Ford is their salesmen though[emoji106]
In 05 when I bought my Dodge it was at the advise of the Ford salesman and his manager that if Dodge would sell me a 1 ton 4x4 for the same price they wanted for their awesome 6.0 F250 I should go buy it.

I did.Those guys saved me so much money,time and headache...I'm for ever great full .

Lol ...Nice :D

boater250s

Reaction score
image.jpg
A Bad Experience is better than good advise.
Ask any Powerstroke owner.

You can't reason with a Ford owner.

Apparently, you can't reason with truck owners. I know I'll get great responses from Chevy owners regarding sales numbers. I think all three trucks are good trucks, however the numbers show that Ford sells more than all others.
Last winter I was able to take 5 weeks off, spent a lot of time with the snow birds! The majority of vehicles were Ford and Dodge, when I spoke with them, most were happy with their trucks, no matter the brand.

pronstar

Reaction score
^^ Ford has the production capacity to make more trucks than either Chevy or Dodge, so they can cut their margins thinner when selling to volume fleet buyers. It's a numbers game.

Ford is very profitable right now, but analysts are concerned that they're more heavily reliant on trucks compared to GM and Dodge (who are also heavily reliant on trucks for their profits, just to a slightly lesser degree).

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
I think the new smog on diesels would be my biggest concern. My wife decided she wanted a fifth wheel so looked and researched a ton on the subject. When it came to buying new, the research pointed directly to the Dodge. However, the smog issues with all diesels pointed me into buying a pre-smog truck. If your only going to be driving long distance or on freeways, the new smog requirements weren't such a deterrent. However, most owners stated that the around town driving loads them up so badly that maintenance issues are unavoidable. I ended up finding a 2002 Chevrolet 3500 Crew Dually with only 70,000 miles and was owned by a well known performance boat guy that replaced the injectors (only common problem with that year truck) and maintained it impeccably. For me, it was the right choice.

I would recommend doing research on diesel forum sites to see what the common issues that you may face in your new purchase. http://www.duramaxforum.com/ provided much information for me as well as http://atptrucks.com/ for maintenance items to ensure a long life. Good Luck!!!