WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water Heater replacement?

Miss Managed Assets

AKA: Ms78Southwind
Reaction score
Need to replace leaking water heater in Chino Hills :( Just got a $2700.00 quote, Ha Ha Joke! Should we use a local contractor or Lowe's/Home depot?

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
Dont get a waterheater from home depot or lowes....I just went through that and they suck! Have a local plumber get u a bradford white or comparable unit from a plumbing supply place. Dont do whirlpool!

Ryphraph

Reaction score
R. S Wilson Plumbing is who I use... In San Dimas

Phone: (909) 599-7396

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
Wish I saw this earlier. I actually know how to sweat copper and have the equipment to do this. I'd have only charged you a couple of bottles of titos.

Miss Managed Assets

Reaction score
Wish I saw this earlier. I actually know how to sweat copper and have the equipment to do this. I'd have only charged you a couple of bottles of titos.

Dammit:( thanks Andrew, If tomorrow does not work out I'll call you!

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
if its leaking it needs replaced ? lots of times its just the thermo coupler :cool easy fix

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
Replace it...Bradford or AO Smith. The rest are eh compared. What size is it? $2700, I'm curious what the price was for

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Why the fuck would it cost $2700 for a water heater?

nowski

Reaction score
I put our water heater in 22 years ago and the thing still purrs like a kitten...

Miss Managed Assets

Reaction score
The company the builder used was a joke, we need to pull permits, this part and that part. We just went and bought a 12 year Rheem $538 and having it installed tomorrow for $150 :)

530RL

Reaction score
Location, location, location, Chino Hills... Chino would have been $1350.

This is so true. When we built our house we had the architect print "Phoenix" on the plans for the address as opposed to "Paradise Valley".

Makes a huge difference.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have installed hundreds of water heaters.

2 permits.

now they make you go through and do all the low flow shower heads and toilets to when you change it out bullshit. so that $2700 could be actually cheap.

that reminds me I'm glad I move the f*** out of California

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
We did ours two weeks ago. 50 gallon Rheem electric from Home Depot $309. Installed by a plumber from our local paper was $100.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
A permit to replace a water heater. What's next, a permit to replace a sprinkler. :headscratch:
In cali a permit is needed for water heater replacement.

NicPaus

Reaction score
We did ours two weeks ago. 50 gallon Rheem electric from Home Depot $309. Installed by a plumber from our local paper was $100.

Electric ones are always cheaper. They will cost you more in the long run to operate. But at Canyon Lake it is better than propane.

$150 is a hookup price for sure. Good looking out NiceGuyEddie.

NicPaus

Reaction score
A permit to replace a water heater. What's next, a permit to replace a sprinkler. :headscratch:

Yes where I am at a permit is required for a sprinkler, You would be surprised. Hell a garbage disposal or dishwasher require a permit as well. They want there share of the $$$$.

Riverson

CHA PLEASE
Reaction score
$2700 to replace a old style water heater is a total joke. Plumbers wonder why they get a bad rap. I have owned several properties and the most I've ever paid was $750.00 including the unit and that was on a rush job.

brendellajet

Reaction score
Whats the deal with the permit. It can't be that hard. Can I do it myself and bypass the permit?

NicPaus

Reaction score
Whats the deal with the permit. It can't be that hard. Can I do it myself and bypass the permit?

Yes. Some companies will not do it without a permit. You can pull a homeowner permit if you feel necessary.

NicPaus

Reaction score
it depends on the building department, some are very easy others will bend you over

Historic District comes to mind...Cousin ran into that issue a few years ago for a Bar he bought. Good thing Hulihan on here is a Master Plumber with all the right licenses to walk the fine line where they would issue the permit and sign off no problem. Sometimes a simple water heater change out can be a nightmare...

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I know all to well I was a gc that specialized in historic buildings. Lol. Only took me getting sick to get ne out

Riverson

CHA PLEASE
Reaction score
2700 is Bullshit...sounds like an up sell to me. Whine all day but don't bend everyone over..that gets you on 20/20 for bs upselling.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Well it's a 6 year Bradford from builder, that lasted 11 years with no maintenance. I'ts probably time?

How do you maintain a water heater?

Yes where I am at a permit is required for a sprinkler, You would be surprised. Hell a garbage disposal or dishwasher require a permit as well. They want there share of the $$$$.

Are you joking?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
A licensed contractor is required to pull a permit, for a job that the city says needs one.

So you have to file the forms, pay the fees, and the worst part is have a tech sitting around waiting to meet the inspector if the homeowner isn't able to do it. It can take some time at the City trying to get that stuff done. It is a real hassle.

Under the water heater you have to put a pan with a drain pipe, and the new debris catching drip leg in the gas line, foam wrap the exposed pipes. Need to strap it right, make sure the vent has proper clearance and the right number of screws at the joints. Make sure the pipe angle is correct. Lots of bullshit to go through.

That's the government watching out for the consumer. :rolleyes

nowski

Reaction score
How do you maintain a water heater? When I installed our water heater 22 years ago (and still purring) I also installed a faucet at the bottom of the tank. Once a year I hook up a garden hose, open the faucet and flush out all the sediment...

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
When i lived in Ca I did $2,000 + water heaters all the time. Just depends on the situation and what is needed. Its really not out of the question sometimes. For a standard 50 seems steep but ive done em for that. It can add up really quick. And about the plumbers getting a bad rap, the companies are the ones who come up with costs for these jobs. The tech has some discretion but there is a price guide, for most companies that is. The guy doing them for $100 labor will not stay in business long, just started, or is not filing and keeping up on his documentation/license/etc. There is no way a company in this day and age, particularly in CA can run that way. You get nabbed once on some shit work its over, unless you got deep pockets. High prices may get you a bad rap, but cutting corners gets you shut down. Plumbing is expensive, no two ways about it. Im not proud of the prices alot of the time, but if you knew half of went into what you cant see it would blow your mind...just to install a water heater correctly and keep the business afloat. You would be amazed how little the profit margin is at the end of the week/month/year.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Here is the oxymoron part of this deal the plumber/company I called was Affordable Water Heaters & Plumbing Inc. They installed the original water heater when the house was first built. The plumber that showed up for the quote said it was going to be a two hour job but I had to talk to his boss to get a quote. As soon as he told me that I had to talk to his boss I was suspicious. When he handed me the phone, I asked him what was his bosses name. Well guess what he didn't even know his name and then I knew that this was just a sales game. The "Boss" quoted me $2,700 and then when I said no he asked me what I could afford. Damn this guy could make a used car sales man blush. He gave me all these so called discounts and quoted me $2,100. To be honest with you I felt bad for the plumber that actually showed up. I was wondering why he looked nervous when he was talking to me. He probably was thinking in his head, I have been on a bunch of calls today I hope I get paid on this one. :grumble:

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Jerry and Lisa,

You're very welcome. I'm glad Walter was able to get you squared away in a short amount of time. Cold showers are no fun!

milkmoney

Reaction score
Jerry and Lisa,

You're very welcome. I'm glad Walter was able to get you squared away in a short amount of time. Cold showers are no fun!

See , now everyone knows you are a niceguy Eddie. :).

I guess this is what rich people do. Us poor folk go down and buy a hot water heater and put one in the day it breaks.

I think their cold showers are fun together ;)

78Southwind

Reaction score
See , now everyone knows you are a niceguy Eddie. :).

I guess this is what rich people do. Us poor folk go down and buy a hot water heater and put one in the day it breaks.

I think their cold showers are fun together ;)

I hear ya Milky...

I have done a couple myself but the way my life is going right now there is always a problem. And sure enough there was, the gate valve was frozen open and broke internally when it was closed. We were able to make it work but Walter needs to sweat a new valve on today since he didn't have his work van with him on Sunday.

milkmoney

Reaction score
I hear ya Milky...

I have done a couple myself but the way my life is going right now there is always a problem. And sure enough there was, the gate valve was frozen open and broke internally when it was closed. We were able to make it work but Walter needs to sweat a new valve on today since he didn't have his work van with him on Sunday.

I gotcha. I guess I have been lucky and not had to sweat anything. I don't know if I trust my work on that
Glad your getting it fixed up. Life could be worse you could be me. :)