WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2015 Ultra Regatta & a light History lesson

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
IMG_6953WM.jpg

The 2015 Ultra Regatta was the first regatta held in the last seven years! It should also be mentioned that this was the first regatta since the new owner Rusty has taken over the company! I'm not sure that anybody knew what to expect going into it, and there was quite a few doubters that the event would even take place right up until the week of the regatta itself. There was some miscommunications, problems with an answering service, and confusion at the Nautical up until just a few days before the regatta.
1X7A4575.jpg

In a testament to the loyalty of Ultra owners though, 40 boats and 120'ish people were down right determined to get together with their boats, and have a good time no matter what. The regatta was exceptionally laid back, and in the words of Todd Taylor from Jokers Wild promotions had an "Old School Regatta Feel to it." What he was implying too, is many of the new boating events pretty much cater around the sponsors of the events, and not the participants. The Ultra Regatta (while sponsored by a few vendors including Boat Bling and RDP itself) was really about getting the people together, and good times.

_MG_4467.jpg

I was unable to get down there on Friday night to the registration party, but Tom Leigh went down there in my stead and reported back that it was a very "social" feel with lots of people discussing their boats, and the excitement that Ultra as a company is once again making waves in the Industry.

_MG_4464.jpg

I'd like to send a special Thanks out to Lisa McLaughlin for her efforts in the prizes department. Just a few weeks ahead of the event she went out in search of sponsors and prizes to give away at the awards banquet, and I have to say I was really impressed! The entire stage was riddled with everything from a giant flat screen TV, to box anchors, and even interstate batteries!

1X7A5183.jpg 1X7A5192.jpg 1X7A5193.jpg

During the Awards ceremony (that was DJ'd by the infamous Dallas of Kokomo's FYI) Rusty got up and made a short thank you speech to all of his customers that came out to support the event and continue to support the company. John West got up and in usual JW fashion had the crowd laughing, and made a few jokes and a surprise comment that they would not be returning to the Nautical next year.

1X7A5197.jpg

To confirm that, and to get out ahead of the curve this year Rusty has already booked and reserved his spot for the Ultra Regatta for 2016!! It will be at the LONDON BRIDGE RESORT on June 17th and 18th / 2016!! Registration and tickets will be available when we get closer to the event.
_MG_4479.jpg
So per usual with my articles I like to always add a little side information that you guys might find interesting. In this artcle we are going to take a trip down history lane with a light touch into when Rusty bought Ultra, and where he came from, and when John West bought Ultra and why.

1X7A4605.jpg 1X7A4581.jpg 1X7A4628.jpg

Rusty Romberg may not be a familiar name to many patrons of the performance boat market, but that doesn't mean he's new to the game. Rusty had owned Adrenaline Boats since 1998. What they primarily did was do overflow rigging work, or outside rigging for several big name manufacturers. Adrenaline (as with any serviced based business) offered everything to the customers specifications and how cost effective, or over the top job the manufacturer wanted. Adrenaline rigged boats for Ultra, Commander, Eliminator, Domin8tor, Force and Barracuda to name off their main customers over the years. Rusty was also known as a bit of an engine builder for higher HP applications. He is still very proud that he has some big HP 540 inch blower motors that are running to this day that he built in 2003, 2004 era.

IMG_0509WM.jpg 1X7A5046.jpg IMG_6981 copy.jpg

Rusty Purchased Ultra boats in April of 2013 from John West, and has very large plans for the company into the future! His largest problem right now is finding skilled laminators & riggers in the Havasu area and is currently hiring if you are interested in a position in those fields.

1X7A4893.jpg

Now we will rewind the clock to where John West comes from. John West banged nails (Construction) back in the early 1990's. Somewhere around 1992-1993 he walked into a small (at the time) but prominent custom builder in East County San Diego to purchase a boat. John accompanied by Leah walked into the showroom after a long day of work looking somewhat like a dirtball. He eyeballed the 19 Daytona and walked around it, getting very little notice from the salesmen. He made a few comments in an effort to engage in the conversation to no avail, and finally just asked "How much is the boat?" T
he salesmen looked up from his paperwork slightly irritated and said "Look man it's expensive... It's like 35 grand!"

1X7A4870.jpg IMG_0063.jpg 1X7A4906.jpg
John left that showroom and ended up over at Ultra talking to Jerry van Beek. In short order John West had purchased not only a boat but an Ultra Dealership in 1994. In 1995 he bought the company as a whole and was the new owner of Ultra boats. At the time he was 24-25 years old, and was probably the youngest owner of a boat company there was. Being young and aggressive paid off and the year after he bought Ultra he had already started scratch tooling projects!

1X7A4822.jpg 1X7A5061.jpg

John's first new build from scratch was the 22 stealth, and more or less got Rob King (pretty famous boat designer and tooler) into the industry. He also more or less got Chuck Guy (tooler that has tooled many boats including the infamous Trident, and several DCB models) into the biz with the 28 stealth when Rob had to stop on the project to go back to school. One of their most popular boats in the line up, the 27 Shadow was actually a combination effort between Rob King and Chuck Guy to bring to life.

IMG_7465 copy.jpg

That same 27 Stealth is currently planned to be revamped by Rusty to have a integrated swim step that goes all the way across the back of the boat, and a new integrated windshield! As said earlier, Ultra is back, and is making waves again in the Industry.

Photo's by Tom Leigh - Tommygun Images & Todd Taylor at TTI.

IMG_7317.jpg IMG_7383.jpg

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
RD - Is this the same Rusty as Adrenalin Trailers?
Im horrible with names....but this rings a bell

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
RD - Is this the same Rusty as Adrenalin Trailers?
Im horrible with names....but this rings a bell

Rusty owns "All In Custom Trailers" that is a trailer outfit here in Havasu. They are just ramping up production right now with 14 trailers on order. Obviously he is building all the trailers for Ultra, but he is also building for Domin8tor, and has a bunch of spec builds he is doing right now. One of the trailers he currently has is my Custom Car Hauler that he is completely updating for me.

RD

Singleton

Reaction score
Nice write up Dave. Really like the history of Ultra.

boatnam2

Reaction score
1993 ULTRA regatta was a hell of a party, still remember that one.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Here are the balance of the pictures and table shots from the regatta itself. :)

If you are interested in purchasing any of the regatta photos, or on the water photos, please contact Tom Leigh. If you are interested in any of the aerial photos shoot me a PM and I will put you in touch with Todd Taylor.

1X7A4671.jpg 1X7A5098.jpg 1X7A5093.jpg 1X7A5011.jpg 1X7A4990.jpg 1X7A4837.jpg 1X7A4801.jpg 1X7A4919.jpg 1X7A4788.jpg 1X7A4704.jpg 1X7A4702.jpg 1X7A4674.jpg 1X7A4655.jpg 1X7A4588.jpg _MG_4487.jpg _MG_4482.jpg 1X7A5120.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Regatta and Table shots..

DID YOU GOTO THE ULTRA REGATTA? WHERE ARE YOU AT IN THESE PICS?

1X7A5192.jpg 1X7A5251.jpg 1X7A5255.jpg 1X7A5263.jpg 1X7A5271.jpg 1X7A5284.jpg 1X7A5288.jpg 1X7A5291.jpg 1X7A5296.jpg 1X7A5248.jpg 1X7A5243.jpg 1X7A5187.jpg 1X7A5180.jpg 1X7A5203.jpg 1X7A5215.jpg 1X7A5231.jpg 1X7A5232.jpg 1X7A5237.jpg 1X7A5240.jpg 1X7A5315.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bout time someone told the Nautical to F-OFF, well done JW and Ultra Boats.

Nicely written RD.

Desert Storm did it this last year as well.. That's why the whole event was catered by Shugrues and done down in the channel and on the island.

RD

Boat Bling

Reaction score
Great pics, thanks for posting!:thumbsup We were happy to donate some product for the Ultra owners and they can count us in for 2016 support (hopefully with a little more notice this time:D )

Singleton

Reaction score
Desert Storm did it this last year as well.. That's why the whole event was catered by Shugrues and done down in the channel and on the island.

RD

Best thing DS did was move it. I went to the Turtle Saturday night around 10, and only counted 8 people in the place. Had 1 drink and left. Seems like the Nautical's mgmt is not wanting boaters anymore. The pool was crowded during the day however.

Stainless

Banned
Reaction score
That's funny about him getting the treatment by the salesman. Don't judge a book by its cover.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
That's funny about him getting the treatment by the salesman. Don't judge a book by its cover.

When I bought my boat I was early 20's as well. We went to the LA Boat show and looked around. Ended up liking a few but like the Ultra best for our needs. But, one big thing that stuck out was that while walking around with my wife most booths didn't give us the time of day. A couple said hi but it was Barry Diehl (RIP) of Shockwave at the time and Big John D and Bob Brown at Ultra who actually takes to us and answered questions. John and Bob knew we were looking maybe a year or two down the road but had us get in the boat and crawl through it and check it out and sit in the cockpit etc. Well we changed our minds and two months later showed up with cash to order the boat.

The Wests are cool as well just saying that the treatment for John D and Bob helped get the boat sold because if I'd have gotten snubbed like at the other booths I'd have bought another boat brand.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Everybody knows I'm a total Eliminator homer but I have to admit that the 27 Shadow is one of the sexiest cats out there.

Nice write up RD.

Hammer

Reaction score
Everybody knows I'm a total Eliminator homer but I have to admit that the 27 Shadow is one of the sexiest cats out there.

Nice write up RD.

I really like the shadow as well. Thanks for the History lesson RD[emoji106]🏻

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
Good write up Dave.....did you and Tom get any video coverage of the running shots?

Singleton

Reaction score
Tom
My wife wants one of our daughter winning the princess award. You got any of those. Also interested in a couple running shots. Where can I go to purchase

TCHB

Reaction score
is Ultra building more boats in Havasu than any other builder?????

HBCraig

Reaction score
Is there any Ultra swag to be purchased? I could use a few shirts and hats.

NicPaus

Reaction score

Nordic comes to mind....Have they completed any from the new location. Only build thread on here is the deck boat.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Good write up Dave.....did you and Tom get any video coverage of the running shots?

No we didn't take any video, just stills.

Tom
My wife wants one of our daughter winning the princess award. You got any of those. Also interested in a couple running shots. Where can I go to purchase

I'm sure Tom will have some. I will hit him up tomorrow and see what he has outside of what's up on the site. If not, I know for a fact Todd Taylor has some as he was shooting everything that moved during the awards ceremony.

That was a great read dave!

Thank you I appreciate it. :)

Nordic is building somewhere in the neighborhood of 7:1 to 10:1 in terms of production over all the other performance builders save maybe cheetah. I'm not sure how many Cheetah is putting out, but they have always been a quantity builder.

Is there any Ultra swag to be purchased? I could use a few shirts and hats.

Yes I believe Rusty does have New Ultra swag in stock, just give him a call!

Nordic comes to mind....Have they completed any from the new location. Only build thread on here is the deck boat.

I know they delivered a 21 Stealth.. Then the guy traded it back in and I think is building a 28 Shadow Deck now? They have finished a couple of boats and have quite a few in production right now. Rusty told me they are wrapping up 2 or 3 in the next week or two, so finally we will be out filming some boats for them.

RD

beerrun

Reaction score
My wife and I had the same problem with that same boat builder. We went in on a Saturday the old location they asked us if we had an appointment we said no they told us to leave. My wife is still piseed about it.but we love our ultra

TCHB

Reaction score
Nordic comes to mind....Have they completed any from the new location. Only build thread on here is the deck boat.[/QUOT

I did not realize Nordic was building that many boats in Havasu.

Do they have a dealership network in other areas or just sell them out of the shop in Havasu?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score

Nordic is killing it right now. Nobody is even in the same ballpark as them.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nordic comes to mind....Have they completed any from the new location. Only build thread on here is the deck boat.[/QUOT

I did not realize Nordic was building that many boats in Havasu.

Do they have a dealership network in other areas or just sell them out of the shop in Havasu?

Nordic sells everything factory direct. They have one dealer up in Canada, but I believe he just gets a discount for buying qty and then resells at retail.

RD

Hammer

Reaction score
Tom

You may try his website tommygunimages.com you can order directly from there I believe

K-DOG

Reaction score
Great write up. I will definitely try to go next year.

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
The Shadow is one of the best lookn cats ever.Neighbor has a 24 Stealth.You [email protected] ooze sexahy and quality of build imo. Last few yrs they seemed in limbo.Great write up and news of of their renaissance! This Shadow is badass! 522637_296311390446640_161761610_n.jpg

shippingguy

2007 Ultra 27 Shadow
Reaction score
I have to agree with the 27 Shadow being very sleek looking.....I am a bit bias[emoji6]. I have owned all Ultras and this one has been my favorite! 9th season on the water and no complaints. Best thing about the 27 is how big and wide inside they are. Also plenty of storage!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435683568.638028.jpg

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
What's Rusty's number or the new shop number? I want to order some swag.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What's Rusty's number or the new shop number? I want to order some swag.

Number is on there website.. I am on my phone. I know they had regatta shirts.. I believe they got other swag as well but again I'm not a 100% sure.

Englewood

Reaction score
The Shadow is one of the best lookn cats ever.Neighbor has a 24 Stealth.You [email protected] ooze sexahy and quality of build imo. Last few yrs they seemed in limbo.Great write up and news of of their renaissance! This Shadow is badass! View attachment 416671

Why'd you have to do that to me!?!?! I miss that boat everyday!!! Thankfully he doesn't boat around here! Best looking Cat under 30' in my opinion. Ride is amazing!

PVHCA

Reaction score
I have to agree with the 27 Shadow being very sleek looking.....I am a bit bias[emoji6]. I have owned all Ultras and this one has been my favorite! 9th season on the water and no complaints. Best thing about the 27 is how big and wide inside they are. Also plenty of storage!
View attachment 416672

Yours, KP's and Patricks are and were some of my favorite boats, loved the ride and performance. I was partial to your colors.

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
I had my 1st new boat built in 1995 by Ultra when the were located in Irwindale and I guess owned by Jerry Van Beep. It was a 21 LX jet boat and considered one of the best boats available. Ultra has came a long way
with the guidance of John West and hopefully Rusty continues the tradition.
Does anyone remember Jerry Van Beep? I sure do:thumbsdown

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
nice write up RD!

its great to see the "vibe" revisited for a regatta theme, Nice job Todd and Rusty (a touch of the "back in a day"). I'm sure to think that having JW in the house made things uplifting as well, long time friends and customers relate to JW and his passion for what they invested in when they bought their boats.

as for my .02 on the Nautical... agreed, not the first time they have been told to choke on it! I don't know what happened to the management at the Nautical, but a few years ago it went to SHIT!

:thumbsup:thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I had my 1st new boat built in 1995 by Ultra when the were located in Irwindale and I guess owned by Jerry Van Beep. It was a 21 LX jet boat and considered one of the best boats available. Ultra has came a long way
with the guidance of John West and hopefully Rusty continues the tradition.
Does anyone remember Jerry Van Beep? I sure do:thumbsdown

Jerry Van beek not beep.. And yes he is a member of this site that posts occasionally.

Not often, but when he does they are always epic threads.. Anyone remember the I cloud story? Lol

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Jerry Van beek not beep.. And yes he is a member of this site that posts occasionally.

Not often, but when he does they are always epic threads.. Anyone remember the I cloud story? Lol

Maybe. What's the screenname?

NicPaus

Reaction score

I heard some stories from parties at his house by Puddingstone. Brother Jason helped tarnish Ultra's name and reputation. Ran the valley location where I bought my Ultra. It turned into Lightning boats after.

broncomatt

Reaction score

When we were looking for out boat we visited a place called The Boat Hunters in Burbank, CA, I think the guy we met with was Jerry, he was telling us stories about owning Ultra and his brother owning Lightning boats?