WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

OK its Sept...wheres the Yamaha SXS 1000?

Boatracer36

Reaction score
I'm up in the air with this thing. I really don't like how it looks. Suspension looks like its off the old 800 RZR LOL. On the up side that thing would be fun as hell to drive with the speed shift and clutch.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
I think the new 3 cylinder is going to have a much broader powerband and the manual is going to get the power to the ground a ton better.

I personally don't see this thing at the listed weight running in the back of the pack;)

The rear fender deal is hideous.

I think the suspension will be right up there with the other offerings.

Someone said they weren't planning on a 4 seat version and I kind of believe it based on what this thing looks like. I think that will be an issue and hurt sales quite a big as there are a lot of buyers with kids.

I think the build quality and fig and finish will be great compared to the Polaris.

2Driver

Reaction score
Someone said they weren't planning on a 4 seat version and I kind of believe it based on what this thing looks like. I think that will be an issue and hurt sales quite a big as there are a lot of buyers with kids.

Would you if our lawsuit, blame shifting society took a chuck out of your ass. ;)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Maybe no 4 seat this year, but maybe next?

4 seat version, 4 cyl?

I'm skeptical on the "quad style body", but I am happy they did SOMETHING.

The Rhino was a farm cart people used to INVENT a class all on their own.

Brian

I think the new 3 cylinder is going to have a much broader powerband and the manual is going to get the power to the ground a ton better.

I personally don't see this thing at the listed weight running in the back of the pack;)

The rear fender deal is hideous.

I think the suspension will be right up there with the other offerings.

I think the build quality and fig and finish will be great compared to the Polaris.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

Faceaz

Reaction score
It should be great in the sand and hard pack. Gonna suck for slow 4 wheeling though with a clutch. But I'm sure it's gonna haul ass

I'm doubting that's been overlooked by Yamaha. But, if a slipper clutch (like Rekluse) isn't available, it won't take the aftermarket long.

underpressure

Reaction score
Call me a purist, or a sucker, but any yellow and black Yami has my attention and makes me happy. :)

Brian

Then you'll love my Rhino...

Attachments

• 20141116_121411_resized.jpg
    20141116_121411_resized.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 9

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I get the purpose built SXS deal, but their's no bed on it? Where the hell do you put the cooler and other stuff?

Those rear fenders kinda remind me of an old Cadillac with the fins.. Not sure why they did that?

RD

sfury

Reaction score
I get the purpose built SXS deal, but their's no bed on it? Where the hell do you put the cooler and other stuff?

Those rear fenders kinda remind me of an old Cadillac with the fins.. Not sure why they did that?

RD

In post 7 it says bed capacity 300lbs so maybe it has one?

sfury

Reaction score
That depends on how low 1st gear is in low range. If it's granny you can slow 4wheel no problem. Lots of jeeps doing crawling for a long time with clutches :)

In post 43 look at the shifter numbering.

R1N2345. So 1st is all by itself for crawling?
Never mind. It would be shifted like a bike shifter huh?

Taboma

Reaction score
In post 43 look at the shifter numbering.

R1N2345. So 1st is all by itself for crawling?
Never mind. It would be shifted like a bike shifter huh?

I'm not sure exactly what's meant by Sequential. In the video it appears the driver is just smashing the clutch then yanking the shifter straight back, and I do see a "+" at the bottom. Does the shifter then return to the position marked for the selected gear, ready to be yanked back again ? Then I wonder how you downshift ?

I don't recall reading anything about a High or Low range, other than 2WD, 4WD and 4WD locked differential --- so maybe 1st gear is granny low ?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly what's meant by Sequential. In the video it appears the driver is just smashing the clutch then yanking the shifter straight back, and I do see a "+" at the bottom. Does the shifter then return to the position marked for the selected gear, ready to be yanked back again ? Then I wonder how you downshift ?

I don't recall reading anything about a High or Low range, other than 2WD, 4WD and 4WD locked differential --- so maybe 1st gear is granny low ?

I take it you never rode a motorcycle? :)

GMD

Reaction score
Others in the SXS market can't compare with Yamaha quality. 3 cylinder smoothness and sound is awesome.
Also, no bringing 2 extra belts on board as spares with the Yamaha. This being the first Yamaha sport version, it may have some growing pains, but Yamaha does not Fock around, eventually it will outclass all others, unless Honda really comes out with a sport SXS, then it will be Yamaha and Honda, all others will be 3rd choice.

Faceaz

Reaction score
Probably before you were born, still do ---- so you know how this shifter works or just guessing ? :D

Go take a look at any of your bikes, on the front sprocket cover there is going to be similar numbers as you see in the vid. Push forward for downshift, back for upshift. Reverse is just an extra click beyond 1st, probably with some safety feature like a button to prevent you from going in accidently. I'm sure you can smash through the gears without clutch (like shifter karts do), but for longevity of the tranny, using the clutch will be best.

Taboma

Reaction score
Others in the SXS market can't compare with Yamaha quality. 3 cylinder smoothness and sound is awesome.
Also, no bringing 2 extra belts on board as spares with the Yamaha. This being the first Yamaha sport version, it may have some growing pains, but Yamaha does not Fock around, eventually it will outclass all others, unless Honda really comes out with a sport SXS, then it will be Yamaha and Honda, all others will be 3rd choice.

For the record I've always been keen on Yamaha products, right up until I checked out that POS Viking SXS they released a few years ago. I don't know what they were thinking, unless they were chasing the Polaris Ranger line,but failed miserably.

So I do hope this is a success for them :thumbup:

Taboma

Reaction score
Go take a look at any of your bikes, on the front sprocket cover there is going to be similar numbers as you see in the vid. Push forward for downshift, back for upshift. Reverse is just an extra click beyond 1st, probably with some safety feature like a button to prevent you from going in accidently. I'm sure you can smash through the gears without clutch (like shifter karts do), but for longevity of the tranny, using the clutch will be best.

Makes sense, I did notice in one of the close ups of the steering column a paddle with "R" on it, perhaps you need to depress that to get reverse ? Still haven't figured out if this thing has a low range.

Back in the early 70's I had a 750 BSA Daytona and a 750 Triple 2 stroke Kawasaki, the shifter and brake being reversed kept things interesting --- and a few minor fuck-ups as well :yikes

After almost eating shit a few times I sold the Beazer :D

welldigger00

Reaction score
Didn't the Polaris catch on fire when they first came out?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Probably before you were born, still do ---- so you know how this shifter works or just guessing ? :D

Maybe so, It is a standard shift pattern, at least on every bike I rode, apparently, after you were born, yet you asked, so I figured you never rode. Don't get all excited on me. :) Were they different before I was born?

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Makes sense, I did notice in one of the close ups of the steering column a paddle with "R" on it, perhaps you need to depress that to get reverse ? Still haven't figured out if this thing has a low range.

Back in the early 70's I had a 750 BSA Daytona and a 750 Triple 2 stroke Kawasaki, the shifter and brake being reversed kept things interesting --- and a few minor fuck-ups as well :yikes

After almost eating shit a few times I sold the Beazer :D

I flipped the linkage lever on my Hurricane so the pattern was reversed. Looked like it was meant to be that way.

My 900RR didn't lend itself that way, as easy, so I left it alone.

Brian

Always Floored

Reaction score
I bet the Yamaha will shit all over the Rzr. Never been happy with my 900 or my 1000 rzr. Very Happy to see this. Polaris and quality dont mix. My opinion comes from owning them.

RCDave

Reaction score
My dad had a BSA 441 Victor. Sucker has a bitch to start .

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I bet the Yamaha will shit all over the Rzr. Never been happy with my 900 or my 1000 rzr. Very Happy to see this. Polaris and quality dont mix. My opinion comes from owning them.

I feel the same way..

Always Floored

Reaction score
I dont think it will be to far out for Honda and kawasaki to step it up.

Quicksilver

Reaction score
As cool as this thing looks I can't see myself shelling out 20 large for a two seat side by side. And my family would need two of these for what we do. 40 grand buys one hell of a used long travel rail or about 8 to 10 used quads. These manufacturers have to be making a killing on these things.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Or maybe your user name :D:p:skull:cool

The video is misleading as the clutch would only be needed for starting, stoping and going in reverse. The rest of the time you'd bang through the gears with a push/pull to up or down shift.

Wikipedia explains how a sequential transmission works. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequential_manual_transmission

Well that is if you are smart enough to lash the gears with the throttle, otherwise you are gonna wear that tranny out quick. :p

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Where's the "Turbo awd version"? :)

Yamaha rep told me a boosted motor in the future.

We bought the rzr turbo for the wife, soft ride automatic trans. lots of power, and we'll buy the Yamaha but dealers are already asking $3K over MSRP for the Yamaha.
When the Yamaha price settles we're in.

bartel

Reaction score
the above photshop is AWESOME!!! this probably took a kid 20 mins to fix. when Yamaha had teams of people working on styling and they came up with a SXS that looks like an over sized quad.

I don't think im giving up the LS powered dual sport car yet, but I do think a 4 seater sxs is in my future for the wife and just family crusing around the desert.

charred1

Reaction score
That photoshop was done by Dbart, a member of Glamisdunes.com. He has mad skills!!

GMD

Reaction score
In the video, it sounds like they are not clutching while shifting....am I hearing correct? Maybe Yamaha has an ignition cut when shifting so it may be a true sequental shift.

yz450mm

Reaction score
Don't have to clutch on my bikes, which have the same shift pattern. Just a millisecond let off of the throttle. I'd bet it's electronic on the SxS though to prevent gear damage.

G. Faulk

Reaction score
Yamaha rep told me a boosted motor in the future.

We bought the rzr turbo for the wife, soft ride automatic trans. lots of power, and we'll buy the Yamaha but dealers are already asking $3K over MSRP for the Yamaha.
When the Yamaha price settles we're in.

Same here, waiting for the RZR turbo 4 seater, and the prices to come down on the Yamaha.

1-10 what number would you give the RZR turbo?

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Same here, waiting for the RZR turbo 4 seater, and the prices to come down on the Yamaha.

1-10 what number would you give the RZR turbo?

I think I would wait...the 4 seater should be out around Turkey day. I think they will do one with a little more HP next year and then a tranny in 2 years. I am going to hold on to my 2 seat 1000 until my son is old enough to ride in a 4 seater...just my .02 and I could be way off...or maybe the Yami will come out with a turbo 4 seater in the same time frame...time will tell.

Andy01

Reaction score
From the video it seems to work pretty well, looks good. I really like the yellow/black. I'd be all over one of those as a two seat toy.

SHOCKtheMONKEY

Reaction score
From the Glamis dunes forum

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 12
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 9

WTMFA

Kill Em All
Reaction score
Sequential only has to do with the shifting of the transmission. There are "H" pattern and "Sequential" shifters. Everyone knows the "H" pattern but a "Sequential" just means the gear is chosen thru a "Ratcheting" operation of the shifter (a motorcycle has a sequential shifter)
The clutch "should" still be used during shifting with a sequential transmission unless you can match the rpm's of the engine and transmission (such as a motorcycle....that is.......unless........you enjoy replacing transmissions........;)

I agree that it looks kinda fugly stock but..........with the vision and talent of the aftermarket companies I think it can be made to look pretty bad ass.

Hell, if they can make a RZR look cool they can make ANYTHING look cool......lol......;)

Squirtsfar

Reaction score
That's a bold prediction considering the thing isn't even out yet.
Yea, as usual they do a "Reveal" and of course you can not buy one for another 3 months....
Love or hate Polaris, at least you can buy there stuff When it's revealed! And again, AN AMERICAN COMPANY!!!! OK in today's world that doesn't seem matter (to me it does)...

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Yamaha USA is HQ'd in Cypress. All Yamaha ATV's are designed by Americans, and built (for global consumption) in Georgia or Tennessee. IMHO that takes care of the "made in America" argument.

I think product launches get flubbed when the marketing guys write checks that the engineers and factory guys aren't prepared to cash LOL

One thing's for sure;
A LOT of people have been waiting a long time for the new Yamaha SxS to arrive. I don't recall this much anticipation for any other SxS launch.