WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

today must be "dog related question" day so here is another

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
What dog food do you give to fido? Our new pup is having a hard time with the foods we have tried. He has been with us for a couple of months now and this is starting to get frustrating. So far we have used (all puppy foods) Purina Beniful, Science Diet, Blue Buffalo and Eukunuba. Last night I was up with him all night getting him outside before he hit the carpet with diarrhea...... we were good on 5 out of 6 times. Eukunuba has been our go to food for 25 years.

what are you feeding?

JB in so cal

Reaction score
Try a non corn based food. We use a salmon based food from Costco.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is something that I have some pretty strong opinions about, but so do others about how it's totally fine to feed dogs trash, so to each his own.

If you do ANYTHING, sign up for dog food recall alerts here: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall-alerts/ to ensure that you will be notified if your food has issues.

Take a minute to compare your dog's foods to others here: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/ This website provides a ton of information about nearly every food, all of the ingredients, etc.

I feed Kaiya Acana Regionals Grain-Free Ranchlands (http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/acana-dog-food-grain-free/). Sure, it's more expensive than other foods, but you have to feed less because there isn't cheap filler crap like corn, etc. Their turds are also smaller when you feed a high-quality food. Also she (and our previous dog) never ever stink like some dogs do when they are on a low grade food.

Gramps -- your pup might not tolerate grains well. Or maybe he just picked something up along the way and it upset his stomach?

Chopperman

Reaction score
Hills Healthy Advantage. I started mine on the puppy food, and now he gets the Hills Healthy Advantage adult dog food. He seems to like it and it is pretty good for dogs as well.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
right now he is on white rice nd boiled chicken boobs, that seems to have helped all of our dogs over the years. He was on grain free (Blue Buffalo) and the other end of the spectrum was Hills Science diet, which is IMHO A BUNCH of corn. DB that is the site I used to research foods.........it's a good site THANK YOU

I'm almost thinking it may be our water. He spent the week last week at the breeders and had no problems there.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
Could it be an allergy, most common sign of food allergy is itching ,scratching followed by diarrhea. You can find a pet food specifically formulated for pets with allergies that may help. You can also have your vet run tests to diagnose the allergies in your dog for a few hundred dollars.
Had a friend that went thru this, they started by keeping a daily log of what the dog was eating and time of day for the feeding, same as you they started with egg, white rice with boiled chicken for a few weeks until the dog was stabilize, than they would add different food and watch the dog for a few weeks before add something else, this took a long time and was the best method of diagnosing an allergy with food. (Turn's out it was the dog shampoo that was causing the problem.)
We have two large dogs, 3 year old at 138 lbs and 10 year old at 89 lbs and they like the can food from Costco, Kirkland Signature Nature's Domain mixed with dry food, Kirkland Nature's Domain Salmon Meal and Sweet Potato. We just had blood work done and everything was good.

Big B Hova

HOSS
Reaction score
Kirkland turkey and sweet potato. Good food and the dogs love it. We also have used the Kirkland lamb and rice.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
Raw food diet. Wife has all the details. I bet we spend about $100 a week on their food.

Mrs.Racer277

SOCIAL
Reaction score
Iams dry food

When she has a tummy ache she gets chicken breasts, white rice and broth.

She is 16 years old and hanging in there.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Kirkland Signature Natures Domain Wild Salmon meal and sweet potato. blue bag $33, Switched over after a bad batch of Nutro and never looked back.

I would try bottled water to see if that helps.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
We decided to change the water this afternoon. Should be interesting

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
We've always had very good luck with Iams. Anything else upsets her stomach.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Our dogs are picky as fuck but this dry stuff goes good. It's bit dearer but low in salt and gluten free.
They don't rash up anymore either.
So we give them that and beef mince from the abattoirs.
We tried chicken mince from the butcher but they rash up after a few weeks.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1460255994750.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1460255994750.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 19

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Raw food diet. Wife has all the details. I bet we spend about $100 a week on their food.

I feel your pain. Ever since our older Heidi dog was diagnosed as diabetic I've been boiling a whole chicken a week.
Give her chicken, Royal canin wet food and white rice/ cottage cheese mix for dinner. She seems to like it and eats it no problem.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Taste of the Wild, bison venison mix I believe. Get it at Anaheim Pet & Feed.

fmo24

Reaction score
Something else to consider is when you change foods is to blend the new with old and gradually make the change. Mine have had problems when I switched cold turkey to a new food

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I feel your pain. Ever since our older Heidi dog was diagnosed as diabetic I've been boiling a whole chicken a week.
Give her chicken, Royal canin wet food and white rice/ cottage cheese mix for dinner. She seems to like it and eats it no problem.
It is worth it.

Our formula-

80% meat
10% bone
5% liver
5% secreting organ

We actually bought a little freezer for all this food for them ☺

Their coats have never better and their energy is great! Been doing this for about 6 months.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
After we suspected "Diet" may have added to the demise of our Golden Woody we have used Canidae since we brought Sebastian home , Hes doing very well recent vet check showed him a 95 lbs (12 months) and abit on the heavy side , we reduced his portions on dry and mix in canned unsalted green beans and mini carrots , he also get the baby carrots for snacks vs "cookies" and has dropped 3 lbs , his coat is beautiful and he seemed to be thriving

We live a ways out in the country, the ottoman : is where the Sentinal keeps track of all that passes ;)

sebastian relaxing.jpg best dog buddy.jpg

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
Blue buffalo wilderness. Feed less, smaller shits, happy dogs. Image1460314003.339449.jpg

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Canidae for past 15 years, not a problem at all.... Snacks are fresh veggies..

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Our dog is a Beagle/Spaniel mix.

We had been feeding him something in one of the big bags at Sam's Club for along time. I don't remember what it was. Anyway, over time he decided that he didn't like it, and wouldn't always eat all the time. Also, on one visit to the vet, they said that at 33 pounds, he was slightly over weight.

About 6 months ago, we switched to Purina Beniful (SP). He LOVES this food, and on top of that he has lost weight. He was at the vet last week for a checkup and rattlesnake shot, and they weighed him in at 29 pounds......

IMG_20160325_203730296.jpg

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Canidae is what I feed mine. Grain free.

You might want to take him to a vet. My male when he was a pup has diarrhea for it seemed ever...tried all different foods and he ended up having colitis. He was put on antibiotics and 2 weeks was golden.