WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pool Build Thread

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Wow, what a dick. You should be kissing MYV's ass for all the good advice he offered you.

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Wow, what a dick. You should be kissing MYV's ass for all the good advice he offered you.

I appreciate the advice. That doesn't give him the right to talk trash to me.

But of course you like to pour gas on a fire.

Yeah bunch of keyboard personalities up in here.

Not trying to disrespect anyone. Just saying don't dis me. Simple as that. I can have an opinion as long as in being respectful.

GRADS

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. That doesn't give him the right to talk trash to me.

But of course you like to pour gas on a fire.

Yeah bunch of keyboard personalities up in here.

Not trying to disrespect anyone. Just saying don't dis me. Simple as that. I can have an opinion as long as in being respectful.

Okay, you're the expert.:rolleyes

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Note taken. And please don't construe that as the last word.

Lol.....gotcha. Mellow has thrown out alot of good info here. You've taken on a project learned alot yourself. And Grads I'm sure has his share of knowledge as well, but loves to stir the pot. :D But you're 3 different dudes with 3 different perspectives. Just leave it at that and squash it. It's was a hot day and is a nice night. Go enjoy your pool with your family. Ain't no Thang but a chicken wang. :D

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
Lol.....gotcha. Mellow has thrown out alot of good info here. You've taken on a project learned alot yourself. And Grads I'm sure has his share of knowledge as well, but loves to stir the pot. :D But you're 3 different dudes with 3 different perspectives. Just leave it at that and squash it. It's was a hot day and is a nice night. Go enjoy your pool with your family. Ain't no Thang but a chicken wang. :D

At Ducks game. I should stay the heck off this.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Idle threats now. Nice.

Never contradicted what you said. I've referred a bunch to you professionals. I've just stated my experience is all. Every single time. May have morphed but I still started the thread.

It's like nobody can say their experience because you guys are here. Umm forever about this whole place then. Only the pros can post and we all just watch. Okay Mr high and mighty.

Yeah you started with the Grads like comments. I'm just defending myself.

And yes I have the quotes. You broke up between plumbing and electric and equipment costs I believe. Three separate things. So labor yeah includes PVC. I'll send you stuff tomorrow and share with you if you'd like. We can do in private.

Not trying to hack your business. Just saying don't be a dick to me.

" idle threats " what the fuck, did I not just say I didn't have a problem with you. If I did there wouldn't be a threat I'd handle face to face is clearly what I stated.
Labor is just that labor, no PVC no nothing, that's guys showing up working on stuff you supply ( I believe you asked for separate cost for labor and materials broken down, i didn't give ) I'm pretty sure I gave cost for labor With material

There's no high and mighty here, many people have done things I never comment about, when stuff looks good and correct I'll acknowledge. When stuff is a complete hack job I don't say anything. It's not my deal to get guys pissed off or upset with their contractors or themselves with what they believe is their dream come true.

But when someone asks for a professional opinion I'll give it, good or bad.

So yes I'm still interested to see your " invoices " and costs for
Demo, Dig, steel, plumbing, Shotcrete, coping, tile, stone, drains, deck, equipment, plaster, general clean up and dump fees.
Send to me tomorrow when you get a chance

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
" idle threats " what the fuck, did I not just say I didn't have a problem with you. If I did there wouldn't be a threat I'd handle face to face is clearly what I stated.
Labor is just that labor, no PVC no nothing, that's guys showing up working on stuff you supply ( I believe you asked for separate cost for labor and materials broken down, i didn't give ) I'm pretty sure I gave cost for labor With material

There's no high and mighty here, many people have done things I never comment about, when stuff looks good and correct I'll acknowledge. When stuff is a complete hack job I don't say anything. It's not my deal to get guys pissed off or upset with their contractors or themselves with what they believe is their dream come true.

But when someone asks for a professional opinion I'll give it, good or bad.

So yes I'm still interested to see your " invoices " and costs for
Demo, Dig, steel, plumbing, Shotcrete, coping, tile, stone, drains, deck, equipment, plaster, general clean up and dump fees.
Send to me tomorrow when you get a chance

I'll send to you tomorrow. Maybe we just misunderstood each other. I just don't like being dissed. If you weren't meaning too then cool.

I'll leave it at that. Again no ill will. I'm glad to share with you the pricing. Maybe it will help with things I don't know.

I buy you a beer and you buy me one.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
VDMM... What post #'s are the pics of your finished pool. I'm too lazy to go back through the entire thread trying to decipher which is which:D

VoodooMedMan

Inmate #446
Reaction score
VDMM... What post #'s are the pics of your finished pool. I'm too lazy to go back through the entire thread trying to decipher which is which:D

Don't know right now. I'll look tomorrow from computer or just PM you pics.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I'll send to you tomorrow. Maybe we just misunderstood each other. I just don't like being dissed. If you weren't meaning too then cool.

I'll leave it at that. Again no ill will. I'm glad to share with you the pricing. Maybe it will help with things I don't know.

I buy you a beer and you buy me one.

:lmao
You can buy me a beer, I'll buy you a strawberry martini, chocolate, and some midol. Lmao!!

E4L

Reaction score

Oh now your the fuckin mediator. Lmao

NicPaus

Reaction score
Oh for fucks sake.:smackhead He's one of "those". I'm starting to see the big picture now.

I have a customer refusing to pay now. Says she wants all my receipts for her job before she pays. I have told her 20 fucking times you do not get the receipts they are irrelevant. You agreed to the Contract price what difference does the materials cost.

I appreciate all the info you and MYV have chimed in with. I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks Grads and Tim for all your Professional input.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
At Ducks game. I should stay the heck off this.

Good choice, go Ducks!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460962100.134438.jpg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I have a customer refusing to pay now. Says she wants all my receipts for her job before she pays. I have told her 20 fucking times you do not get the receipts they are irrelevant. You agreed to the Contract price what difference does the materials cost.

I appreciate all the info you and MYV have chimed in with. I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks Grads and Tim for all your Professional input.

Do you really never out materials in the bid? I feel like they always ask me for a materials cost. I'm also one of those guys it sounds like myv doesn't like.[emoji4] A LOT of times I get extra material from big jobs. Boss says take it or it's going in the trash. Example for this church I'm doing one of the foreman said hey I got 80 extra sheets can you use them?heck yes. By doing this I can save the customer money and get the job done much much cheaper than anyone else. Does this mean I'm not going to do it right? Absolutely not. I could double dip and make money off that free material but I don't think I'd sleep well

NicPaus

Reaction score
Do you really never out materials in the bid? I feel like they always ask me for a materials cost. I'm also one of those guys it sounds like myv doesn't like.[emoji4] A LOT of times I get extra material from big jobs. Boss says take it or it's going in the trash. Example for this church I'm doing one of the foreman said hey I got 80 extra sheets can you use them?heck yes. By doing this I can save the customer money and get the job done much much cheaper than anyone else. Does this mean I'm not going to do it right? Absolutely not. I could double dip and make money off that free material but I don't think I'd sleep well

Never let them know what your costs are. They just use it to beat you up on the price. I will give repeat customers free stuff on occasion that i have left over. Nothing like saving someone 5k over all there other bids then getting mad you made $1500 a day. This happened with my Aunt and she will never get over it.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
On commercial jobs you have to break down, material costs, labor costs, profit etc.... So yes Vic is right with that. How ever on residential with a contract a homeowner is paying contracted price. If they wanted break down of costs it would be specified in contract X amount materials, labor etc... Generally I have no problem showing a customer material costs, how ever it is not required. Now having extra material from job and giving it away next job, shows Vic is not a business he's a worker. A job pays for what is installed if you have extra material it's because you over ordered. So you either return it or move to next job, doesn't mean anyone's getting it for free. Materials that I give to my guys is their business not mine, if they want to use for a side job and they give away for free just proves I don't have to worry about them ever leaving they're perfectly content being a " worker "
Vic if your worried about sleeping at night for making money continue as labor because you'll never make it as a business owner. Do I like or dislike you, no idea TBD never met ya

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
On commercial jobs you have to break down, material costs, labor costs, profit etc.... So yes Vic is right with that. How ever on residential with a contract a homeowner is paying contracted price. If they wanted break down of costs it would be specified in contract X amount materials, labor etc... Generally I have no problem showing a customer material costs, how ever it is not required. Now having extra material from job and giving it away next job, shows Vic is not a business he's a worker. A job pays for what is installed if you have extra material it's because you over ordered. So you either return it or move to next job, doesn't mean anyone's getting it for free. Materials that I give to my guys is their business not mine, if they want to use for a side job and they give away for free just proves I don't have to worry about them ever leaving they're perfectly content being a " worker "
Vic if your worried about sleeping at night for making money continue as labor because you'll never make it as a business owner. Do I like or dislike you, no idea TBD never met ya

I work for a multi million dollar company. If anything is over ordered its never returned. Rarely is it saved at the yard for another job. It's thrown out or told to be taken home by the workers. And I'm a skilled laborer [emoji4] I make money on my side jobs and I do it right and without overcharging. If I can pass savings a long to a customer who are mostly friends or family I will do so gladly.

NicPaus

Reaction score
I work for a multi million dollar company. If anything is over ordered its never returned. Rarely is it saved at the yard for another job. It's thrown out or told to be taken home by the workers. And I'm a skilled laborer [emoji4] I make money on my side jobs and I do it right and without overcharging. If I can pass savings a long to a customer who are mostly friends or family I will do so gladly.

The Nice Guy never wins in this game Vic. I try and do as much as possible for some but once you give a little they will try and take. I offered to change a light being nice on one of my jobs. The lady went to HD and bought all new lights for her house new light switches and ceiling fans she admitted she spent $500. she said I offered to put them in. I told her 1 light and she expected me to do them all after offering to do 1. There is no ceiling fan boxes in her house the switches control half the outlet for a lamp. No way I would offer to install fans for free but I guess that is how she interpeted it.

You have not got to the point of overhead yet, that is where charging them cost on those extra materials helps cover it. Most mark the materials up so bringing them at cost you are still doing them a favor. You are hard worker but working hard gets old after 17 years of doing this. You have to make that extra money while you are young and sock it away.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
The Nice Guy never wins in this game Vic. I try and do as much as possible for some but once you give a little they will try and take. I offered to change a light being nice on one of my jobs. The lady went to HD and bought all new lights for her house new light switches and ceiling fans she admitted she spent $500. she said I offered to put them in. I told her 1 light and she expected me to do them all after offering to do 1. There is no ceiling fan boxes in her house the switches control half the outlet for a lamp. No way I would offer to install fans for free but I guess that is how she interpeted it.

You have not got to the point of overhead yet, that is where charging them cost on those extra materials helps cover it. Most mark the materials up so bringing them at cost you are still doing them a favor. You are hard worker but working hard gets old after 17 years of doing this. You have to make that extra money while you are young and sock it away.

Makes sense [emoji106]

AEA

Reaction score
In all honesty bro....you seem like you always have to have the last word. Thats how it comes across in your postings here. Just sayin. :D

I agree with you. It gives me a bad feeling about what kinda cop he might turn out being.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

Give a finger and loose your hand....
My retaining wall builder kinda gave me that bit. I'd asked him to build me a small stacker to tidy up a corner I didn't like. He says "I'll use those old blocks you got over there". I said "no, you'll get what I want, I'm not asking you to do this gratis". Then everything was good again.
Why people think they can just milk everything they can out of a laborer is asinine and selfish......and honestly it's like theft.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
On commercial jobs you have to break down, material costs, labor costs, profit etc....

All we do is commercial jobs. Its very rare that we have to break out anything unless we do the work on T & M. We do fill out a schedule of values on the bigger jobs.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

Its probably cheaper to give it away then have to do a job clean off and store the material at the shop. Is it mostly hat channel, steel studs and drywall.?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Its probably cheaper to give it away then have to do a job clean off and store the material at the shop. Is it mostly hat channel, steel studs and drywall.?

Yup exactly

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
As a consumer when I got a bid for a job and marerial is left over there are two things that cross my mind.
1) The bid could have been lower from the start.
2) It's my shit...I paid for it.

Reactions: t&y

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
All we do is commercial jobs. Its very rare that we have to break out anything unless we do the work on T & M. We do fill out a schedule of values on the bigger jobs.

Not every commercial job, but can be required and isn't rare to show costs. Try government jobs 100xs worse!

It may be cheaper, and generally its the superintendents saying take it or I'm tossing. Owners like myself will toss some things for that reason. But if your talking materials to do entire jobs with, someone fucked up ordering and likely should be fired. If it happens on a consistent basis, the company is throwing away $, and likely the owners don't know, just saying

As a consumer when I got a bid for a job and marerial is left over there are two things that cross my mind.
1) The bid could have been lower from the start.
2) It's my shit...I paid for it.

Zig just a shout out to your builder doing correct and quality build!!!! :thumbup:

But I don't agree with above. Your contract shows what your getting. If materials are left over you'll get some to cover repairs and that's it. There can be many reasons for over ordering. First can be someone fucked up ordering doesn't mean you benefit, like with tile say you need 100 Lin ft purchaser orders 100 sq ft! He fucked up now you've got 50 extra Lin ft at your house does that make it yours, nope.
Second can be like say pavers or stone, say I need 100 sq ft for your house, qty doesn't equal pallet so I get screwed on per lbs or per piece price, but if I say go ahead and get pallet sent use what you need and move over to "x" job next week. Does that mean I should have gave to you, he'll no.
There's exceptions to all of this but the perception of its at my house so it's mine or left over commercial job its free to who ever wants is un real. Guys wonder why companies don't give raises the way they expect, well there you go stop in a round about way stealing profits, profits will go up, that money gets shared. Not a one person come up.

Just my perspective as a business owner, agree or disagree really doesn't matter

Carry on lets get back to pool builds the reason for the thread, not the bs many of us will or will not agree on.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
Not every commercial job, but can be required and isn't rare to show costs. Try government jobs 100xs worse!

It may be cheaper, and generally its the superintendents saying take it or I'm tossing. Owners like myself will toss some things for that reason. But if your talking materials to do entire jobs with, someone fucked up ordering and likely should be fired. If it happens on a consistent basis, the company is throwing away, and likely the owners don't know, just saying

Maybe in your trade you need to show costs. But in mine we don't that often. I bid 40-50 jobs a month and can't remember the last time someone asked me to break down a job. We stay away from government jobs for this reason.

I know all about the engineer ordering to much material on my jobs.:cool We always bring back the fittings and left over pipe. The scrap goes in the dumpster. They just restock the fittings back in the shop and charge the next job for the same material. They have been doing it for years.:grumble:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Maybe in your trade you need to show costs. But in mine we don't that often. I bid 40-50 jobs a month and can't remember the last time someone asked me to break down a job. We stay away from government jobs for this reason.

I know all about the engineer ordering to much material on my jobs.:cool We always bring back the fittings and left over pipe. The scrap goes in the dumpster. They just restock the fittings back in the shop and charge the next job for the same material. They have been doing it for years.:grumble:

In my experience, electricians rarely leave any extra material at the jobs.

They've got whole operations back at the office stripping wire for copper or restocking items for later jobs. Some of these operations back at the branch are like a separate profit center.

Out of all the trades I call on electricians seem to be the most efficient at utilizing and reusing what is left over.

I just sold one customer two new $10k wire stripping machines to be used at their office for this exact reason. They'll pay for themselves pretty quick.

FlatNv

Reaction score
I'll go on the side of never breaking down my bid labor/material line items & quantity only.. I have had customer ask thou, my 1st sign I cant afford that customer:p

now back to pool builds..how do members feel about child labor:D

Attachments

• IMG_20160417_112901407_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20160417_112901407_HDR (1).jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 35

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
How about some pool pics
image.jpeg
Recent remodel we finished for a rdp lurker in Rancho Santa margarita, great peeps

image.jpeg
commercial fountain we finished for Downey promenade recently

image.jpeg
current build in chino in a nice gated community

image.jpeg
simple easy peasy build in Baldwin park we completed recently

image.jpeg
rock pool w slide in temecula we completed recently

image.jpeg
Current commercial job baptismal pool in a rockstar style church in porter ranch
Face where it drops down will have glass panel installed

image.jpeg
entire rim flow pool and spa, before outside grates installed in Covina

CobraDave

Reaction score
How long would it take to brush that last pool!!??

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
How long would it take to brush that last pool!!??

Brushing tile not much of a problem. It's only the outside face that will get much build up, everything else is always submerged, and all glass tile so stuff comes off pretty easy. Brushing the walls, and vacuuming a maintanence nightmare. But people wanting pools like this aren't looking at ease of cleaning. They want wow factor and that's it.
Owner is a general, builds homes, waba grills etc.
Pool actually started out as a 70s 20x40 pool only, it was a major remodel that actually cost more than a straight new build because had to incorporate existing shell floor and partial walls. To do a rim flow correct and actually have even flow with pump running at 2800 rpm's takes some mad skills in it self.

cxr

Reaction score
are pool prices standard? or are prices based on zipcode and owners type of boat? lol

lol just wondering how much a pool like that one with the rock slide costs..... I have a filled in pool from previous owner
from the 80s I know that cost extra to tear out. neighbors are unsure if they punched a hole in the bottom or totally jackhammered it.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
are pool prices standard? or are prices based on zipcode and owners type of boat? lol

lol just wondering how much a pool like that one with the rock slide costs..... I have a filled in pool from previous owner
from the 80s I know that cost extra to tear out. neighbors are unsure if they punched a hole in the bottom or totally jackhammered it.

Pools are based off of pool design, options added, difficulty of build, also if you've got a huge flat lot, wide open access, easy city to deal with, versus small lot on a hillside single lane street with no parking for trucks or supplies with a city that likes to meet its budget with fines and tickets. I could care less if you've got a gremlin parked in the lawn with a canoe on top, or a Lambo and a MTI in an underground garage.

The rock pool w slide was around 60k for the pool part on contract

Having an existing pool under ground w no known conditions, would have an 8k range contingency added to be used for potential demo of the unknown. If we dug and pool didn't exist below, you keep the 8k, if it's partial you keep partial, all the way up to we go down 1ft and entire pool still there minus a bit of bond beam likely that 8k gets sucked up for removal. Regardless you'd have a worst case scenario cost, so you could only save from there.

GRADS

Reaction score
Where the heck is VoodooPoolMan?