WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

It's 6.0 bulletproof time. And I gotz me some questions.

NicPaus

Reaction score
yep ask me how I know...

its like having to launch the space shuttle or owning an airplane. maintenance and systems check before driving:grumble:

There is a lot to learn with a 6.0 I had a 03 and a 07. Friend has had several as well. spent more time on the side of the road with his than mine. I got lucky several times. Top of Chiriaco at 230 am turbo hose popped off. F450 20k mikes could not maintain 70mph up the hill with out over boosting. good thing I had a hose clamp and some tools. To many bloody knuckles working on them.

fishing fool

Reaction score
There is a lot to learn with a 6.0 I had a 03 and a 07. Friend has had several as well. spent more time on the side of the road with his than mine. I got lucky several times. Top of Chiriaco at 230 am turbo hose popped off. F450 20k mikes could not maintain 70mph up the hill with out over boosting. good thing I had a hose clamp and some tools. To many bloody knuckles working on them.

Coming home from glamis pulling a heavy 5th wheel with a strong head wind right next to the salt in sea and popped a hose off too :eek Looked out mirrors and saw NO smoke which was a good thing. Put it back on and it popped off 2 more times until I could get to the gas station to put on a hose clamp and change my shorts....

I still love my truck

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
I have had a tuner on it for about 3 years just to close the EGR valve. I baby the truck and try and not get over 20# of boost when towing. I even flush the coolant every year to help keep the oil cooler and EGR cooler clean and I still had issues with it.

I too worry about it breaking down all the time. Now after the repairs I should be good for a few years.

What coolant are you running? Do you run a coolant filter?

fishing fool

Reaction score
What coolant are you running? Do you run a coolant filter?

No filter and ford for 2 years and Zerex for the last 2 years. I was talking to the shop about adding a coolant filter, but not too sure I will need it with the bullet proof stuff.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
FYI. Trenton has 3 6.0s in his stable and all have over 300k on the clock. they all tow heavy. BP that shit and keep it! the only thing ull have to throw at it is oil cookers and HPOPs every 100k cause that's just their life expectancy. no biggie imo.

McRib

Reaction score
No filter and ford for 2 years and Zerex for the last 2 years. I was talking to the shop about adding a coolant filter, but not too sure I will need it with the bullet proof stuff.

the bullet proof stuff is just head studs and egr cooler for the most part unless you get into the full Monty with the remote oil cooler. the remote oil cooler requires the snow plow fan hum upgrade for 700 more. if you stay stock oil cooler the coolant filter is a must to catch all the burrs that fall off from the cast oil cooler internally as the coolant passes through it and cuts it down.

pixrthis

Reaction score
I bullet proofed mine and replaced the turbo at 213,000 because I felt it was time. The only other thing I did before that was replace all the injectors when one went bad at 166,000. Knock on wood it's been a great truck.

bartel

Reaction score
i JUST got my truck back on Friday from getting bullet proofed. It runs awesome. I also got new injectors HPOP, Oil cooler and Turbo. Truck is running awesome. Also I have no payments so the 7500$ I had to spend was a bummer but way cheaper than anything I could replace a superduty for. I have about 130k miles on my truck. has always had a banks tuner on it and has always had 6 inch lift on 38 inch tires. I have been thru a FICM already and a transmission went south about two years ago.

I love the truck and I hope she will be good to me for a while now that I have spent all that money.

1931269_1033297108087_9660_n.jpg

1931269_1033295028035_7926_n.jpg

BrianB

Reaction score
I have an 06 Superduty that let go at 140K ....Trenton did the head gaskets, studs , injectors, EGR cooler, oil cooler, coolant filter, injectors, and a number of other little fixes.
Runs like NEW. Money well spent for me.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Coolant filter is not a bad idea. Commercial trucks and boats have them. Guess its to costly for the factory to install them in light duty trucks. Some engines can handle not having a coolant filter and some really benefit from them. The 6.0 is one that would benefit. The main cause of the oil cooler failure is the casting sand circulating in the coolant plugs up the coolant passages on the oil cooler. Then the now super heated coolant travels to the egr cooler and takes that out.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
i JUST got my truck back on Friday from getting bullet proofed. It runs awesome. I also got new injectors HPOP, Oil cooler and Turbo. Truck is running awesome. Also I have no payments so the 7500$ I had to spend was a bummer but way cheaper than anything I could replace a superduty for. I have about 130k miles on my truck. has always had a banks tuner on it and has always had 6 inch lift on 38 inch tires. I have been thru a FICM already and a transmission went south about two years ago.

I love the truck and I hope she will be good to me for a while now that I have spent all that money.

1931269_1033297108087_9660_n.jpg

1931269_1033295028035_7926_n.jpg
Is this the Hanneman truck? I used to see it all the time around Azusa area.

McRib

Reaction score
Who is Trenton and where is he located.

Trenton is yhe local 6.0 god. Hes in upland. His number is in this thread a few times towards the beginning.

bartel

Reaction score
Is this the Hanneman truck? I used to see it all the time around Azusa area.

Ya Harold Hannemmann is my Grandpa (by marriage) I bought the truck off of him once he was done using it to showcase the wide fender kit. Love the truck. And plan onkeeping it forever. Plus it matches my boat

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Ya Harold Hannemmann is my Grandpa (by marriage) I bought the truck off of him once he was done using it to showcase the wide fender kit. Love the truck. And plan onkeeping it forever. Plus it matches my boat
Ah nice! I used to see them all the time at a local Burger joint with that truck when I worked in Baldwin Park.

fishing fool

Reaction score
I picked my truck up from Diesel Power House in Norco yesterday for a total of $7,900........ I had cracked heads so new heads, new turbo, Bullet Proof cooler, new Ford oil cooler, new FICM, coolant filter, new pitman arm and several other parts replaced. Truck runs like a champ. I hope to get another 100K miles out of it.

thetub

Reaction score
I picked my truck up from Diesel Power House in Norco yesterday for a total of $7,900........ I had cracked heads so new heads, new turbo, Bullet Proof cooler, new Ford oil cooler, new FICM, coolant filter, new pitman arm and several other parts replaced. Truck runs like a champ. I hope to get another 100K miles out of it.

wow cracked heads...

heard this is the new thing now...

did they say where? valve seats ?

how much for new heads if you dont mind me asking? and are they any better than old heads design wise?

thanks for any info

Shame on Ford and International!!!

fishing fool

Reaction score
wow cracked heads...

heard this is the new thing now...

did they say where? valve seats ?

how much for new heads if you dont mind me asking? and are they any better than old heads design wise?

thanks for any info

Shame on Ford and International!!!

I did not ask where they were cracker. I believe it was only $400 for new heads. I don't know if they are any better. Just know I have a new top end on the motor.

tkrrox

Reaction score
I did not ask where they were cracker. I believe it was only $400 for new heads. I don't know if they are any better. Just know I have a new top end on the motor.

Did you do head studs too?

Ibeplumbing

Reaction score
There are no new heads for these trucks. They are reman heads. They just have less cracks. If you want new heads you are buying them from innovative diesel or someone like that. They are same design but better lifters and guides and they o ring the heads. That's about it difference wise. And they are like $2k plus. All of the 6.0 heads are cracked when you pull them. Some worse than others. At a certain point they say junk them. I had to do this to mine too. I spent about 1600 for reman ones at the time. Half of what ford wanted. Head shops can do them cheaper for you. Good luck with the rest of the time you own the truck. Should treat you well now that you got the big stuff out of the way

575cat

Reaction score
Poor design not enough fasteners & alum heads not a good thing on a diesel .

fishing fool

Reaction score
Did you do head studs too?

Yes, studs too. That was the reason I took it in, loosing coolant. With all the work that was done the truck was still running good, now it runs great...

oldschool

Reaction score
Looks like we are going to try and breath some life back into the 6.0 here at work. Any suggestions for the Fresno area?

Weekend Therapy

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere years back they were a two piece mix of aluminum and steel. This was one of the main factors with the head studs as you have two different metals that will expand and contract differently under temp.

bartel

Reaction score
Ive got about 1k miles on my truck since doing the bullet proof. my mpg went from 10 to 17 whoo hoo. truck is running great and is back to full power. I just hope it stays this way

Your ad here

Reaction score
I was also thinking of 6.6 also .

Takes me a few more than a couple times of reading post before I understand them. I thought the aluminum heads on the duramaxes were a proven platform.

575cat

Reaction score
Sometimes I dont know what Im typing ha ha .