WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help The Old Man with A Truck

Dirtbag

Reaction score
So Pops "PayDayClub" is in the market for a new truck. Hes always been a Ford guy. Currently owns a sequoia. Has a Hatred for Chevy ( idont know why) and Will not buy a Dodge.(so dont even try)

He wants something that can pull the 28 Deck with ease. The Sequoia has more than enough power but her ass sags and she doesnt look so good in front of the deck.

We know a F250 will be more than enough. He has never owned a diesel or a 4x4. And with all the ameneties he wants (like leather seating and gps and all that) the price tag can get up there real quick.

He wont be towing over long distancves much. Maybe a trip to Powell or back to Bob @ shockwave for service from Havasu.

Is the F150 enough? what engine package? Is diesel the way to go? What about Chevy? How about the Tundra? Only thing for sure is that he will get 4 wheel drive.

Thanks for the help

NicPaus

Reaction score
I am lookin to buy another truck as well. Most half tons will pull over 10k now a days. If he is a Ford guy get a ecoboost.

I will most likely go with a gas chevy 3/4 ton. Need the bed capacity along with tow capacity. My 06 gasser just hit 155k had to change fuel pump and water pump. Other than that runs great brakes still look new. Work truck is diesel so no need for 2.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Tundra 4x4 and don't look back! If you have a 5.7 Sequoia you know they are thirsty, but they really get the job done.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Tundra 4x4 and don't look back! If you have a 5.7 Sequoia you know they are thirsty, but they really get the job done.
the sequoia eats gas almost as bad as the boat haha

Dirtbag

Reaction score
I am lookin to buy another truck as well. Most half tons will pull over 10k now a days. If he is a Ford guy get a ecoboost.

I will most likely go with a gas chevy 3/4 ton. Need the bed capacity along with tow capacity. My 06 gasser just hit 155k had to change fuel pump and water pump. Other than that runs great brakes still look new. Work truck is diesel so no need for 2.

the ecoboost scares him. He and i know nothing about it. But i see that it pulls the most. Hes scared of a v6 i guess. Need more info on the ecoboost i guess.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
The new Tundras can be had with a 38 gallon tank. Mine is an 07 with a 26 gal. tank.

4Waters

Reaction score
If he gets a diesel he will never go back to gas again, but like a previous post said most 1/2 ton trucks will do the job. By the way I understand his hatred of chevy. LOL

renodaytona

Reaction score
F-150 with the ecoboost, you really cant go wrong.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I have a f150 ecoboost and I tow my fathers 29 Nordic deck. It does it with ease and stops it even easier. Plenty of power and it does not sag the back end too much. Obviously more than a 3/4 ton but not to the point where iit is dangerous. If he is a ford man get him the ecoboost 3.5 f150.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
the ecoboost scares him. He and i know nothing about it. But i see that it pulls the most. Hes scared of a v6 i guess. Need more info on the ecoboost i guess.

Then get the F150 with the 5.0 if he is that worried.

There is nothing to be worried about with the TT v6. It is not 1982 anymore.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score

I know a lot about these engines. What are you worried about? I have just under 100k on mine and not one hick up. I finally just did front brakes 5k ago.

As I mention to everyone we can hook up your boat and go in my truck you will be amazed.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Then get the F150 with the 5.0 if he is that worried.

There is nothing to be worried about with the TT v6. It is not 1982 anymore.

hes worried because he doesnt know much about it. and a v6 sounds weak...thats my guess

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So Pops "PayDayClub" is in the market for a new truck. Hes always been a Ford guy. Currently owns a sequoia. Has a Hatred for Chevy ( idont know why) and Will not buy a Dodge.(so dont even try)

He wants something that can pull the 28 Deck with ease. The Sequoia has more than enough power but her ass sags and she doesnt look so good in front of the deck.

We know a F250 will be more than enough. He has never owned a diesel or a 4x4. And with all the ameneties he wants (like leather seating and gps and all that) the price tag can get up there real quick.

He wont be towing over long distancves much. Maybe a trip to Powell or back to Bob @ shockwave for service from Havasu.

Is the F150 enough? what engine package? Is diesel the way to go? What about Chevy? How about the Tundra? Only thing for sure is that he will get 4 wheel drive.

Thanks for the help

3/4 ton, long bed, crew or king cab. That's a long ass trailer. You do not want to be towing something long/big with a 1/2 truck! The longer the wheel base on the tow vehicle the better when your gonna tow something that big.

Get a diesel and never look back. :thumbsup

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
The 3.5 ecoboost will out pull and v8 gas motor on the market today period!

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
If the boat is really all the towing he does, stick with a 1/2 ton. There is VERY little reason to go 3/4 for that type of use. Either Ford or Chevy with the big motor and tow package can handle that boat with ease. The ecoboost does make more low end torque so it feels stronger towing and so many old timers aren't used to having to wing a motor to get to the torque so that creates a lot of discomfort for the GM's. All said though, they are VERY equally matched trucks. And, make no mistake, there is nothing ECO about the Ecoboost. When they are working, they are thirsty suckers!

NicPaus

Reaction score
He will only ever tow the boat? No heavy loads in bed of truck?

Diesel is over kill and spending extra is not needed. River neighbor has a new half ton chevy Thursday had a semi behind schedule so threw 4 tons of salt on trailer and did a round trip to central ca. Pulled it no problem. I have not checked but if it can legally hold a pallet at 4k I will get a half ton. My diesel weighs 12k with tools and I haul 10k behind it often. The registration fees and insurance are crazy compared to a half ton gasser.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
hes worried because he doesnt know much about it. and a v6 sounds weak...thats my guess

Sounds like you need to head to the dealer and take a test drive. The 3.5 TT V6 is much faster than the 5.0, but it is thirstier.

underpressure

Reaction score

I've got a 2013 F150 FX4 with the eco boost engine, tows my 29ft Nordic Deck easily...and stops it just as easily...

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

The TT V6 Ecoboost is far from weak. That freaking truck is wicked fast. Pretty sure it is best in class for towing too........

underpressure

Reaction score
I tried out the kid's (bpracing) F150 towing my Nordic before I bought mine. Went from an F250 FX4 turbo diesel...the F150 with Eco boost has plenty of power...

Mine is a 2013, bought it used with less than 30k miles on it. Has 60k now, love it! Plus, it rides more comfortable than the lifted F250!

rvrrun

Reaction score

No V6, check. Tows the boat, check...

IMG_3390.jpg

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I thought the Sequoia looked kinda small in front of your boat when I drove by on Empress Sunday morning.

Groper

Reaction score

Don't be fooled by the 10k towing I tried it with a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 6.2l w/ Air Bags and in some cases it was a hand full it was the "Tail-wagging-the-Dog" a great truck but not for anything over 6-7k imo it was very hard to stop.
Depending on what your Dad's budget is I'd get a F-250 KR or I call it a KFR "King Fuckin Ranch" the Baddest MO-FO on the Road and never look back :thumbsup

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I've been in a couple situations that I was glad I had my (1 ton) truck...

On the interstate, some douche in a Caltrans truck pulled right out in front of me, while I was towing my trailer. I had to slam on the brakes, and locked up ALL of the wheels on my truck and my trailer. Would I want to try that in a half ton? No fucking way Jose!

Coming home through the desert (more than once) I've had the wind come up Real Bad. I was towing my 26, and I just kept going straight down the road. I was passing guys that were swerving all over that place just trying to hold a straight line. Most of em with regular trucks.

Costs? Of course a half ton is cheaper. Safety? How much of a price can you put on that??

A half ton truck gas truck will be fine rolling down the road on a nice sunny day. It's when things get ugly, and you have a 28' 6k lb sail behind you, you're gonna want the brakes and suspension that comes on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck American made truck.

Carry on...

Dirtbag

Reaction score
He will only ever tow the boat? No heavy loads in bed of truck?

Diesel is over kill and spending extra is not needed. River neighbor has a new half ton chevy Thursday had a semi behind schedule so threw 4 tons of salt on trailer and did a round trip to central ca. Pulled it no problem. I have not checked but if it can legally hold a pallet at 4k I will get a half ton. My diesel weighs 12k with tools and I haul 10k behind it often. The registration fees and insurance are crazy compared to a half ton gasser.

correct nic...no heavy loads in the bed

Englewood

Reaction score
Ive owned 10+ half tons and diesels in the last 5 years...I've had an 06,08,13 Chevy Diesels and a 11,14,17 1/2 tons. The diesels are overkill. The turning radius, ride, size, etc are not worth the added power. A 1/2 ton is more than enough for a 28 deck. Ive towed a Magic deck from Havasu to San Diego and back without any issue. I just sold my last diesel and will never go back. The prices are outrageous and the driving experience of a 1/2 ton is so much better!

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Why does every towing thread on this site end up with a bunch of comments of "you need a 3/4 ton diesel"

Jesus Christ you guys would recommend a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a fucking Radio Flyer Wagon.

I have owned over 20 different trucks from S-10's to duramax and cummins 3/4 tons

I have hauled 16' flat beds to 40' toy haulers.

Any new 1/2ton will pull your boat with ease.

Tell your Dad that brand bias is a thing of the past. All trucks can have problems.

Hell im a Chevy fan but I own a Ram and a Ford...

If your dad has eff you money buy a Laramie, Denali or Platnium diesel and be done.

Or save 20-30k and buy any new halfton that will still get the job done just fine.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
Why does every towing thread on this site end up with a bunch of comments of "you need a 3/4 ton diesel"

Jesus Christ you guys would recommend a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a fucking Radio Flyer Wagon.

I have owned over 20 different trucks from S-10's to duramax and cummins 3/4 tons

Tell your Dad that brand bias is a thing of the past. All trucks can have problems.

If your dad has eff you money buy a Laramie, Denali or Platnium diesel and be done.

Or save 20-30k and buy any new halfton that will still get the job done just fine.

Haha hes reading the thread. He definitely doesnt have fu money. hes a penny pincher somewhat. He definitely wants something thats gonna ride nice. Thats his only bitch about trucks. they ride like trucks

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Haha hes reading the thread. He definitely doesnt have fu money. hes a penny pincher somewhat. He definitely wants something thats gonna ride nice. Thats his only bitch about trucks. they ride like trucks

Buy whatever half ton and move on with life. They will all pull your boat fine. If you want a nice ride, no need for a 3/4 ton.

NicPaus

Reaction score

I just drove 3/4 work truck after being gone at River and riding in friends truck and suv, noticed big time. It is riding better now just picked up 2 pallets of wall caps. I guess I only noticed after the fact used to F550 and 3500 daily.

Now I am debating unloading it to grab another load, River kicked my ass this weekend.

yard dog

Reaction score
I went with a Nissan Titan sv with 4 wheel drive , 390 HP with 9,290 max towing pulls my 25 Tremor like it's not even back there , great riding truck I did change the shocks to Bilistein 5100 series which helped out a lot . The warranty also helped with the decision to go with the Titan 5yrs 100,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty . So far it has been great

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Have him go drive the new Fords...

Friend of mine has one. One ton diesel crew cab dualie. It's quiet as a mouse and tows his fifth wheel trailer with ease. It's the fully loaded deal, the Platinum or something like that? It was stupid money for sure, but none of the new trucks ride like trucks anymore, they know people are tired of that! The first time I went for a ride in his truck, all I could think was: this aint a truck, is a fucking Lexus with a bed!!! lol

Pretty much all the new trucks ride like cars anymore. He needs to go drive em and see for himself. :thumbsup

(and have him check the resale values while he's at it) ;)

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I agree not everyone "needs" a 3/4-1 ton diesel truck for towing but i like my chances vs other drivers in my dually when i am especially when my family is in the truck with me.

New diesels have come a LONG way. Quiet and comfortable and will tow anything you want with ease.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

I'm not saying you need one. But I do like the fact my truck weighs close to what my boat does. I have a 1 ton dodge dually 4x4 with a six speed manual. Other than not accelerating as fast, I can't tell the boat is behind me. Oh it rides smoother with the boat also.

I like the fact I have the braking, lugging power and the weight to control the boat. The 4 extra sidewalls on the rear axle doesn't hurt either.

25Elmn8r

Reaction score

The F150 EcoBoost will pull your boat with ease. My older F150 with the 4.6 motor pulled our Daytona better than both Suburbans (5.3 and 6.0) we had. I actually pulled our 26' toyhauler for one season with that truck. The new F150 with the EcoBoost is a night and day difference to the truck I had. No need to go to a 3/4 ton diesel for what your pops is doing. And on top of that, there's plenty of room in the cab, much bigger than the Chevy. You would actually fit comfortably in the back seat.

Currently have a Silverado, and wish I had went with another F150.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
The new Tundras can be had with a 38 gallon tank. Mine is an 07 with a 26 gal. tank.

I have a 2017 4x4 with 24,000 miles on it with no problems. It will pull your boat with no problems, the maximum towing capacity with V8, 4x4 is 9000 to 10,000lbs, just make sure to include the towing mirrors..

AEA

Reaction score
Don't be fooled by the 10k towing I tried it with a Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 6.2l w/ Air Bags and in some cases it was a hand full it was the "Tail-wagging-the-Dog" a great truck but not for anything over 6-7k imo it was very hard to stop.
Depending on what your Dad's budget is I'd get a F-250 KR or I call it a KFR "King Fuckin Ranch" the Baddest MO-FO on the Road and never look back :thumbsup

If the load is within the tow limits listed on the door post and your getting the "tail wagging the dog" behavior, look at the tongue weight. I'll bet it is not in the correct range, also check tire pressure.

That being said, I'd choose a 3/4 ton.

Groper

Reaction score
If the load is within the tow limits listed on the door post and your getting the "tail wagging the dog" behavior, look at the tongue weight. I'll bet it is not in the correct range, also check tire pressure.

That being said, I'd choose a 3/4 ton.

Everything was proper, it was the dips in the road, transitions and the lovely bridge crossings especially the 40e right before entering AZ :yikes

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I have a 2012 ecoboost and have towed my parents Chaparral deck from PHX to LHC with no problems. People are correct that these are thirsty when they are in boost (make 100% of torque at 2200rpm) Towing from PHX to LHC I average 8.5-9 mpg at 70ish on the 10 then 60ish on the backroads. I would recommend the crew cab long bed if possible, the 5 foot bed is pretty useless.

Just as people say that 3/4 and 1 tons have come a long way in comfort and quiet, 1/2 tons have come a long way in capability. In my opinion, the only way I would get a 3/4 or 1 ton is if I have a massive toyhauler, 30+ foot boat with twins, or have a giant truck bed camper.