WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Bluefin tuna caught off San Clemente Island

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I'm going out a week from this Saturday. Hoping it's cousins are still around [emoji106]

IMG_0429.jpg

A 345-pound bluefin tuna, caught off San Clemente Island, was weighed at H&M Landing on Wednesday.
A 345-pound bluefin tuna, caught off San Clemente Island, was weighed at H&M Landing on Wednesday. (Courtesy photo)
News that the sportfisher Ranger 85 was heading into port at San Diego with what could be a record bluefin tuna spread fast and created quite a stir when it arrived Wednesday morning.

On board was San Diego angler Joe Roder, who had fought the big fish for nearly two hours.

The weight, estimated based on its length and girth, was 373.5 pounds. If certified, it could be a West Coast record for a bluefin caught with rod and reel.

Once hoisted on the scales at H&M Landing, the fish weighed in at 345 pounds, which was shy of the 363-pound record set in 2015.

It was still a monster and the largest bluefin taken by a boat from the San Diego sportfishing fleet this year.

The world record stands at 427 pounds with a fish caught off Cabo San Lucas.

Roder was enjoying a birthday trip aboard the Ranger 85, skippered by Robert Gray. They were fishing off San Clemente Island. Roder was set up with 130-pound line, a 300-pound leader and a kite fishing rig tipped with a sardine.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-fish-0921-htmlstory.html

nowski

Reaction score
In this day and age is that considered taxable income???

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
We're planning on going out to Pyramid Friday afternoon - pending a final review of the weather. Supposed to be getting real snotty out there with gale-force winds today and tomorrow. If the forecast is correct we'll just hang around Catalina and pick up a few Yellowtail.

500bbc

Reaction score
I'm going out a week from this Saturday. Hoping it's cousins are still around [emoji106]

View attachment 588004

A 345-pound bluefin tuna, caught off San Clemente Island, was weighed at H&M Landing on Wednesday.
A 345-pound bluefin tuna, caught off San Clemente Island, was weighed at H&M Landing on Wednesday. (Courtesy photo)
News that the sportfisher Ranger 85 was heading into port at San Diego with what could be a record bluefin tuna spread fast and created quite a stir when it arrived Wednesday morning.

On board was San Diego angler Joe Roder, who had fought the big fish for nearly two hours.

The weight, estimated based on its length and girth, was 373.5 pounds. If certified, it could be a West Coast record for a bluefin caught with rod and reel.

Once hoisted on the scales at H&M Landing, the fish weighed in at 345 pounds, which was shy of the 363-pound record set in 2015.

It was still a monster and the largest bluefin taken by a boat from the San Diego sportfishing fleet this year.

The world record stands at 427 pounds with a fish caught off Cabo San Lucas.

Roder was enjoying a birthday trip aboard the Ranger 85, skippered by Robert Gray. They were fishing off San Clemente Island. Roder was set up with 130-pound line, a 300-pound leader and a kite fishing rig tipped with a sardine.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-fish-0921-htmlstory.html

On the yummy, 130# tackle.:thumbsup

welldigger00

Reaction score
I was under the impression that any fish caught on rod and real can't be sold. Anyone know if this is true? I'd sell that sumbitch if someone came of offering money out in the parking lot. Although my luck would be that it was a cop, and I'd go to jail for breaking the law.

johnnyC

Reaction score
unless you are a commercial fisherman it is Illegal to sell it, as well as game hunted or fished in CA under a regular hunting or fishing license

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Headed to Cabo on the 5th for a week of fishing.. Hopefully the bite is still going strong.......

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
I was under the impression that any fish caught on rod and real can't be sold. Anyone know if this is true? I'd sell that sumbitch if someone came of offering money out in the parking lot. Although my luck would be that it was a cop, and I'd go to jail for breaking the law.

unless you are a commercial fisherman it is Illegal to sell it, as well as game hunted or fished in CA under a regular hunting or fishing license

More than one way to profit off your fish. Have a sushi party but everyone has to bring a bottle of booze or a 30 pack of your choosing.

500bbc

Reaction score
We should get a group of RDP folks and charter a boat for a day or weekend. Anyone know what that would cost?

Good luck with that, everything is booked solid for months and the Yellowfin bite is WFO to boot.:D

500bbc

Reaction score
Im kinna in for that.

We should get a group of RDP folks and charter a boat for a day or weekend. Anyone know what that would cost?

You'd need to confirm number of committed passengers then find a boat with open spots to accommodate. Possibly a Six Pac but any reputable will be charted already.
The big BFT are a crap shoot, all kite fish and they're getting a couple to max ten fish on two day trips.
Kite fishing is one person waiting their turn while everyone else watches, AKA kite jail.

Target the YFT 8 to 20# suicide fish.:D

stephenkatsea

Reaction score

Both the boat and the fisherman must have a commercial license. Fish caught on a sportfishing boat may not be sold.

welldigger00

Reaction score
I looked into a six pack. Like $2500 plus per person. A cattle boat is much less, but you're stuck with 40 personalities.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
My fish story......This catch was an anomaly but was recorded by those on board and the local newspaper and Houston Post did write ups with pictures. Currently the IGFA record Atlantic Bluefin Tuna was caught off Nova Scotia and weighed 1,497# at 12' in length.

So to my story. I was working for a marine engine shop in Freeport, TX. We had numerous commercial and charter fishing boats as customers. One 60' foot sportfisher name "The Gambler" was captained at the time by Cpat. John Gavin, a vet skipper from south LA. John was trolling for marlin around 120 miles out near the LA/TX stateline and bordering the drop to deep water where the big fish roam. Per the Captains, big blue fin are somewhat rare in the GoM, but a few are caught each year.This day they hooked up with 3 fish simultaneously. They had line out on each side outrigger and the third in the middle. An unusual deal in it's own right and more so when the 3 bluefins were all at 1,000 lbs each!

After a long battle, they managed to get 1 fish along side and secured while fighting the other 2. The 2 got tangled and eventually they brought 1 in and the 3rd was tore up bad bay sharks.

John and crew used creative rigging and winches and got the 2 fish on aboard, along with the "front half" of the third and headed back to port. They were so excited they cut the trip a day short.

At dock the fish were hung and weighed. State and federal game officials had been notified and were in attendance. Currently federal regulations state a bluefin can be taken as an incidental catch meaning they cannot be targeted as they are not allowed to be caught in the GOM. The Gambler was fishing for marlin and billfish so they were good to go.

Anyway both fish topped 1K and were both at 11 feet in length. The third fish was estimated by it's upper body girth to be a bit larger but died in the battle and the sharks had a feast.

The whole of the fishing community came out to get a look when the Gambler reached port at Bridge Harbor marina. None had seen this kind of catch prior and none have seen it since. Fed officials figured a big school was heading NNE following currents leading toward the Gulf stream and were very hungry, hitting almost simultaneously.

Though I was in awe, at the time I didn't realize I was seeing such a unusual event in nature. I'm really pissed that I lost the articles and pictures over the years. Wasn't any world wide web to preserve the event so it's all just memory to the few folks lucky enough the be around that day.

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that, everything is booked solid for months and the Yellowfin bite is WFO to boot.:D

Let me see how this weekend goes and I'll see about reviving this thread early next week.

Quest_at_anchor_reduced.jpg

The friend that's functioned as the captain of my boat just moved to Oregon to help take care of his father. I'm OK running the boat for family, but wouldn't feel comfortable with a more serious and bloodthirsty group. Don't we have a couple of folk here that were six-pack operators or have a 100 ton masters card?

I'm pretty sure that there's a pretty good quantity of Bluefin setting at Desperation Reef (couple of miles south of Pyramid) and Yellowfin along the southeast coast of San Clemente Island. I haven't heard much about WFO bites though. Anyone here have Fishdope?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Let me see how this weekend goes and I'll see about reviving this thread early next week.

View attachment 588138

The friend that's functioned as the captain of my boat just moved to Oregon to help take care of his father. I'm OK running the boat for family, but wouldn't feel comfortable with a more serious and bloodthirsty group. Don't we have a couple of folk here that were six-pack operators or have a 100 ton masters card?

I'm pretty sure that there's a pretty good quantity of Bluefin setting at Desperation Reef (couple of miles south of Pyramid) and Yellowfin along the southeast coast of San Clemente Island. I haven't heard much about WFO bites though. Anyone here have Fishdope?

I love the setup, MAW. I've picked out my spot already lol

Cheers to bloody decks. [emoji106]

Chopperman

Reaction score

View attachment 588138

I might be able to set you up with a captain, but I haven't been out and have no idea where the fish are right now. Got some friends that know where the fish are though

Taboma

Reaction score

View attachment 588138

Now there's a true older (40+ ?) classic 48' Pacemaker "east coast wave crusher" you don't see every day :thumbsup:thumbsup
Damn, she's a beauty Maw, with lines that simply never age :thumbsup:thumbsup Don't know if you found her that way, or had her restored,
but that's one sweet looking fish killer man !!!!! :D

Thunderhead1

Reaction score
We found em ... last Saturday Limits of Yellowfin for the boat.

55 fish , 54 Yellowfin...biggest was 25lb'er 12 to 15 was the average.... and one 20 lb Dorado.

this all happened in about a 40 minute time span.... it was epic.... blood and guts flying everywhere.. Our backs were hurtin , arms were burnin... AWSOME!!!

there close.... 3/4 day boats are getting them out of San Diego. We chartered a 6 pack and 5 of us went ... that's the only way to go if you have the means...

the boat runs 3100.00 for an overnight trip + the tip for the crew... all inclusive...food/beer/sodas all for the taking.

Filled our Freezer and made all the neighbors happy when we went passing out the bags of fish that wouldn't fit....

20170916_143955.jpg 20170916_144005.jpg

milkmoney

Reaction score
As many years I have lived close to the ocean, I have always wanted to do this.
Bucket list for sure. At 50 I guess I better start checking off my bucket list before I get checked out [emoji106] [emoji202]

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
We found em ... last Saturday Limits of Yellowfin for the boat.

55 fish , 54 Yellowfin...biggest was 25lb'er 12 to 15 was the average.... and one 20 lb Dorado.

this all happened in about a 40 minute time span.... it was epic.... blood and guts flying everywhere.. Our backs were hurtin , arms were burnin... AWSOME!!!

there close.... 3/4 day boats are getting them out of San Diego. We chartered a 6 pack and 5 of us went ... that's the only way to go if you have the means...

the boat runs 3100.00 for an overnight trip + the tip for the crew... all inclusive...food/beer/sodas all for the taking.

Filled our Freezer and made all the neighbors happy when we went passing out the bags of fish that wouldn't fit....

View attachment 588162 View attachment 588163

I'm hitting San Clemente island next Saturday. I'd be stoked with that.

Nice haul [emoji106]

500bbc

Reaction score
I'm hitting San Clemente island next Saturday. I'd be stoked with that.

Nice haul [emoji106]

Right now the YFT are South at the 302 and 371, the big BFT are still hanging off the island but are a slow pick, yummy flyer on the kite and an occasional flatfall fish.
Our last trip they dropped a yummy back on a trolling rig from the upper deck when we were bit on the kite rig and it was picked up as well.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
Right now the YFT are South at the 302 and 371, the big BFT are still hanging off the island but are a slow pick, yummy flyer on the kite and an occasional flatfall fish.
Our last trip they dropped a yummy back on a trolling rig from the upper deck when we were bit on the kite rig and it was picked up as well.

I had a friend that worked on a long line boat out of Bayou La Batre near Mobile, AL when they still allowed them to fish the GoM. I met him at the dock to see the Japanese buyers bid on the catch. Wild scene indeed and crazy prices paid for the primo grades.....A fish was laying on the boards in AL one minute and being served in Japan hours later.:skull

500bbc

Reaction score
I had a friend that worked on a long line boat out of Bayou La Batre near Mobile, AL when they still allowed them to fish the GoM. I met him at the dock to see the Japanese buyers bid on the catch. Wild scene indeed and crazy prices paid for the primo grades.....A fish was laying on the boards in AL one minute and being served in Japan hours later.:skull

Mexico has grow out pens off the coast from Ensenada. They seine schoolies, tow them in transfer pens from offshore at about one knot, feed them Purina tuna chow to fatten them up and sell them to Japan. Die off on the initial set then raping the inshore bait stock to feed them totally fucks up the fishery. The pen raised fish much more valuable then the net caught or long lined due to bruising on the seined fish and dead long lined fish hanging in open water for hours or days.

Taboma

Reaction score
Mexico has grow out pens off the coast from Ensenada. They seine schoolies, tow them in transfer pens from offshore at about one knot, feed them Purina tuna chow to fatten them up and sell them to Japan. Die off on the initial set then raping the inshore bait stock to feed them totally fucks up the fishery. The pen raised fish much more valuable then the net caught or long lined due to bruising on the seined fish and dead long lined fish hanging in open water for hours or days.

Out of curiosity I recently checked google maps and between the north and south sides of Pt. Banda, Ensenada, counted over 45 pens :eek

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
A lot of the pens you see off Salsipuedes bay are now being used to raise Sea Bass for Mexican consumption.

500bbc

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I recently checked google maps and between the north and south sides of Pt. Banda, Ensenada, counted over 45 pens :eek

They just closed Cedros and Benitos to long rangers, one of the reasons given was the bait seiners were raping the islands for tuna feed and destroying the local fisheries.

Fifteen pounds of bait fish for every one pound BFT gain.

500bbc

Reaction score
Woo Hoo!
"The Henke Family Charter pulled it together, literally, by sharing the battle to boat 3 COWS at 204, 215, and a monster 248. Not bad for Bob at 90 plus years young. Great job by Captain Cameron and Crew."

Recent report from the Vagabond.

You guys wanting to do a two day couldn't go wrong with this boat.

Cray Paper

Reaction score
If your interested in cheaper pricing for tuna, check out the charter boats in Westport WA. My dad went for years, always came back with limits of albacore tuna. They are not as large as blue fin, but you get to catch, and keep more of them. My dad said they fight like a MF'r and they are all the same size, 35 - 40 pounds and shaped like a torpedo. Ocean currents dictate how far out they are from the coast year to year, sometimes 20 miles, sometimes 120 miles. A couple of Marlin have been caught close to shore in the past 12 years as well.

http://www.westportcharters.com/Westport_Washington_ocean_albacore_tuna_fishing_ch arter.php

Make sure you bring your Dramamine though, north Pacific can be a bitch.

Nice video of what it looks like for those that have never gone charter fishing in the ocean.
[video=youtube;J4A0iSRr1LY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4A0iSRr1LY[/video]

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Or if you have a buddy that is REALLY in to fishing and has a sweet set up like these guys, tuna fishing in WA is cheap.

[video=youtube;KWuBvIlmUS4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWuBvIlmUS4[/video]

Sorry, the music sucks ass, but its a good video.

500bbc

Reaction score
If your interested in cheaper pricing for tuna, check out the charter boats in Westport WA. My dad went for years, always came back with limits of albacore tuna. They are not as large as blue fin, but you get to catch, and keep more of them. My dad said they fight like a MF'r and they are all the same size, 35 - 40 pounds and shaped like a torpedo. Ocean currents dictate how far out they are from the coast year to year, sometimes 20 miles, sometimes 120 miles. A couple of Marlin have been caught close to shore in the past 12 years as well.

http://www.westportcharters.com/Westport_Washington_ocean_albacore_tuna_fishing_ch arter.php

Make sure you bring your Dramamine though, north Pacific can be a bitch.

Nice video of what it looks like for those that have never gone charter fishing in the ocean.
[video=youtube;J4A0iSRr1LY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4A0iSRr1LY[/video]

Albacore are a blast!
When they go stupid they'll bite anything including a bare hook. I've seen the deck hands pin a sardine on a gaff, hold it over the water, and when an Albie jumps up and tries to get the Dine they free gaff them in the air.:thumbsup