WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Rib eye caps

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Rib eye, Spencer, bone in Rib eye, Porterhouse,, all my favorites but I saw these today in Costco .... too expensive to experiment with, anyone grill these yet? they are supposed to be primo rib eye caps.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Yea I had them a couple weeks ago. They are tied together with string. They were very good, but more fat than you may be used in a normal ribeye to because of the specific cut.

Jockos seasoning, 2 minutes per side with direct heat with the grill around 600 degrees, then move them to the other side of the grill to cook with inderect heat around 400 for 7-8 minutes and they are good to go.

Or you can pan sear and broil them in a similar manner.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Cool but how to cook ?

Lots of marbling, I would sear them in a cast iron skillet then finish in the oven for a first choice. On the grill would not be bad, sear on a hot spot and move off heat until done.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
I thought I knew my meats....never seen these before. What exactly are they?

warlock250

Reaction score
Costco really goes out of there way to get the best meats possible, pretty hard to get poor products from them..

j-bone

Reaction score
I thought I knew my meats....never seen these before. What exactly are they?

Every prime rib or rib eye has this on it. It is the outer most edge, or cap of the steak on the large end. It is the most flavorful and tender part of the steak. If you like the flavor of marbled fat in your steak, this will be awesome. If you are the type to cut off every portion of fat on your steak, this probably isn't for you.

I would grill on high heat and sear on both sides and cook to medium rare and enjoy.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We have been getting them when Costco has them and they are very tasty

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
season with coarse pepper and kosher salt. Grill @ 600-700 degrees 2 - 3 minutes per side

Deltarat

Reaction score
I grill them all the time, they are AMAZING!!!! I do I unroll them and cook them in pieces, I think they cook better like that.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I grill them all the time, they are AMAZING!!!! I do I unroll them and cook them in pieces, I think they cook better like that.
It pains me to see these beautiful rolls undone. But I digress

The absolute best way to cook these, if you have access to this is, sous vide. Sous vide followed by a quick butter sear. If not, reverse sear them. Trust me. You will ruin them if you throw them on to sear as is. They are way too thick and you'll get the dreaded raw cold center doing this. Season the caps, throw them on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and set the oven to 225?. Throw them in for about 20-30 min or until target temp reaches 10-15? below the final temp at which you'd like to serve the meat..... 120? (I like mine med rare). Just before you're ready to pull them out of the oven, add your desired high temp friendly oil to a heavy skillet or cast iron pan and set it to preheat over your strongest burner. As soon as the oil starts smoking add the steaks along with a couple of table spoons of real butter not vegetable spread shit, some minced garlic and thyme into the pan. Let them cook for about 45 sec on each side while basting continuously. Pull them off, reseason with pink salt and ground pepper if you'd like, and they're ready to serve.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Well they were awesome ! Spray with Pam seasoned with Santa Maria BBQ seasoning , Seared on each side for 3 minutes then moved away from the direct heat and used a probe watching for 130* Yummy

rib eye caps 1.jpg

Groper

Reaction score
Did these with McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning on the Weber with Lump Coal flames coming up through the grates, amazing just amazing :thumbsup
with Garlic Mash & hot flashed pepperd As-peri-gi (asparagus) in a cast iron skillet :)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Why would anyone take the cap off of a ribeye in the first place?

Seems like a gimick to me.

ChevelleSB406

Reaction score
Why would anyone take the cap off of a ribeye in the first place?

Seems like a gimick to me.

If I was butchering my own primal I would not do it as it leaves you with a less satisfying ribeye, but wen the price is right at costco I gladly pick them up as it is a great decadent treat every once in a while, however, I will not buy a ribeye without the cap on from them. I definitely view as an indulgence, and would certainly be an exception rather than a go to for my usual steak of choice. Now if only places would carry Hanger steaks at the correct price, only places I find them are at specialty butchers that charge the hipsters 35 bucks a pound for a delicious cut that should be around 7 a pound at worst. Now, for a real gimmick, the long bone ribeye, or "tomahawk", hell, I couldn't even resist getting some in for a party, and even a leftover I got 3 meals out of.

tomahawk.jpg

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
For all the pellet heads out there I throw this with a pad of butter atop of it on the Traeger at 225 until 123 and then pull off to reverse sear.

Flavor is over the top as the smoke is a nice addition.

checkrd past

Reaction score
reverse sear is the only way to cook a steak of any kind . Absolutly no grey meat zone try it if you don't think so

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
Sous Vide is basically a reverse sear with hot tub dip to get it to the internal temp that you like. The less grey meat the better. To revesrse sear with a Sous Vide setup, you can use your oven or you grill over indirect heat with the lid closed. Any cut must be 1 1/2 inches thick at least to get the full benefits of a reverse sear. You are trying to cook the meat evenly throghout and sear it for a about a minute per side at the end on a very high heat. The end result should be a dark crisp exterior with little or no grey meat. Set your oven at 215-220 and put your meats on a cookie rack over a shollow edged pan. Cook until the interneal temp is 130ish depending on how you like your meat. Finish in a cast iron skillet that is Africa hot with a little butter OR on your grill on high heat. The heat for the sear should be at least 500, preferably 600-700. Salt the meat prior to putting it in the oven. Add other spices per your taste including pepper after the sear. The sear will carbonize the pepper and render it flavorless.

The best grilling info that I have ever read is found on : www.amazingribs.com

Cooking is a science and if you follow this guys techniques you will never be dissapointed.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Right at $40.00 for less than 2 pounds of steak!!:eek:eek You got to be shitin me.