WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Enclosed Trailer lighting

Hammer

Reaction score
So I picked up an enclosed trailer and I want to install interior LED lighting. I don?t know much about LED?s. Will the light strips off of amazon be bright enough?

. No power in the trailer, single dome light only works when trailer lights are hooked to the truck.

Do I need to add batteries or just get a generator and run it off that?

Any input would be much appreciated.

River Runnin

Reaction score
LED's work great!...I'd get a good Deep cycle, a very good solar charger, mounted, then plumb in 120 lights, outlets Etc. for when the generator, (AC) is needed! :)

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
We had an enclosed trailer for a few years that had a single dome light inside. It worked for our purposes, but wasn't very bright. However, on more than one occasion, the light was left on over night (not saying by who..... :) ) and I would come out in the morning to a dead truck battery.....

We sold the trailer a year or so back, but if I was to do it again, I would have it's own power for the interior lighting.......

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I wish I loved closer to ya Mike. When I worked at the trailer fabrication shop this is precisely what I specialized in. I wired up quiet a few trailers (both 110v and 12v).

Definitely do as suggested here. Install a battery and run wiring for 110v as well. Get the LED tape lights you can get in a spool and run them. They work great and are quiet bright. I'll try to give you more pointers later on today when I'm not too busy at work.

screaming pete

Reaction score
a couple of 6 v batteries and a inverter and you can run your lights and your smoker all weekend.....sp:thumbsup

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Mike go by m4led in Chatsworth on Plummer by canoga. Owner is Steve. He's a great guy and a boater and sxs guy has a place in Havasu too. Tell him I sent you. He has every led out in a showroom or in stock.

Hammer

Reaction score
Mike go by m4led in Chatsworth on Plummer by canoga. Owner is Steve. He's a great guy and a boater and sxs guy has a place in Havasu too. Tell him I sent you. He has every led out in a showroom or in stock.

Perfect. Thanks Dave. I?ll swing by there this week.

Here is a pic of said trailer. [emoji1303]

IMG_0854.jpg IMG_0848.jpg IMG_0852.jpg

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Nice congrats. Did you sign up for the az west poker run?

Meaney77

Reaction score
I just finished up my enclosed trailer. I started with the LED light stripes around the top off the trailer and didn't like the light they put out. I ended up buying LED lights that run off 110 for the inside (found them at Costco for $30 each). I also added a plug to my trailer so I can plug it in to my motorhome and the generator will power.

I am planning to get a small generator like a Honda EU 2000 or cheap Harbor Freight unit for the times when I dont have the motorhome.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ParkPowe...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIaio4H35tYCFRR4Ygod3k0Ebw

IMG_4899.jpg
IMG_4895.jpg
IMG_4908.jpg

I added these for the dome lights- purchased them off of Amazon. Light is descent, better than what comes with the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072SFJ7YD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I Just purchased an 8'6"x 24' roll for the floor for it as well from these guys.

https://www.garageflooringllc.com/trailer-flooring/

Still need to coat the ramp door with Raptor Linear. Might also add a small work bench to the front. Want to fab something up that folds up when not needed and drops down when needed (if that makes sense) Also looking to add LED Spot lights outside- the ones that came with the trailer are cheap and dont put out much light. Would also like to add an awning.

Have fun, these things blow up into projects!

Let em know if you have any questions, I just finished my trailer.

rivergames

Reaction score
Here's what we did to our race trailer. Get a front battery box and mount it on the trailer receiver. Throw in 2-3 good size optimas. Next, get a Honda Generator (So It's quiet) and leave it in the back of your truck. Get a hook up on your trailer to run a chord for the generator to power the whole trailer or just charge the batteries.

Then, Either diamond plate the floor or the black rubber stuff. On the walls and lid, we used typical FRP:thumbsup

Hammer

Reaction score
I just finished up my enclosed trailer. I started with the LED light stripes around the top off the trailer and didn't like the light they put out. I ended up buying LED lights that run off 110 for the inside (found them at Costco for $30 each). I also added a plug to my trailer so I can plug it in to my motorhome and the generator will power.

I am planning to get a small generator like a Honda EU 2000 or cheap Harbor Freight unit for the times when I dont have the motorhome.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ParkPowe...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIaio4H35tYCFRR4Ygod3k0Ebw

View attachment 591953
View attachment 591954
View attachment 591955

I added these for the dome lights- purchased them off of Amazon. Light is descent, better than what comes with the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072SFJ7YD/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I Just purchased an 8'6"x 24' roll for the floor for it as well from these guys.

https://www.garageflooringllc.com/trailer-flooring/

Still need to coat the ramp door with Raptor Linear. Might also add a small work bench to the front. Want to fab something up that folds up when not needed and drops down when needed (if that makes sense) Also looking to add LED Spot lights outside- the ones that came with the trailer are cheap and dont put out much light. Would also like to add an awning.

Have fun, these things blow up into projects!

Let em know if you have any questions, I just finished my trailer.

I think you had a thread going right?

Your trailer turned out great! I?m definitely going implement some of the things you did. Really like the floor. [emoji1303]

I haven?t built a work bench because I didn?t want to lose the space. The kids 50 fits perfect up front. A fold down style would be perfect. I need to put a cabinet or shelf of some sort up high for helmets,riding gear etc...

Thanks for the links. Made my life easy.

Meaney77

Reaction score
I think you had a thread going right?

Your trailer turned out great! I?m definitely going implement some of the things you did. Really like the floor. [emoji1303]

I haven?t built a work bench because I didn?t want to lose the space. The kids 50 fits perfect up front. A fold down style would be perfect. I need to put a cabinet or shelf of some sort up high for helmets,riding gear etc...

Thanks for the links. Made my life easy.

Thank you! Ya, I had a thread but got lazy and didnt update!

I would add a plug at a minimum, make it easy to store and charge your SxS when you are not using it.

This place has some descent stuff to organize-
https://pitproducts.com/collections/shelves-and-bins

Collapsable work bench- but you would need 2 of these if you were going to mount up front- https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Organizers/Tow-Rax/TWSP45HFTA.htm

I was looking at these for outside lights- https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Li...Ztup5OQu-D1IrwYOefSHJT9xcS4ewL8RoCCHQQAvD_BwE

Another thing to think about is an extra water tank if you get a motorhome. My wife and kids burn through the 100 gallons of water in my MH. I keep an extra 100 gallons of fresh water in the nose of my trailer and have a transfer pump so I can refill my RV tanks when needed.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Nice trailer Mike 👌

I am still in need of finding the time and someone that can do this job right the first time on my Carson Racer. Only thing I have done is lineX on the floor. I have had too many other projects ahead of this one.

Interior lighting
Exterior lighting
Cabinets / counter top
Awning
Storage box on trailer tongue
Wiring / battery / generator / inverter / outlets

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Nice trailer Mike 

I am still in need of finding the time and someone that can do this job right the first time on my Carson Racer. Only thing I have done is lineX on the floor. I have had too many other projects ahead of this one.

Interior lighting
Exterior lighting
Cabinets / counter top
Awning

Not sure where your at but universal in riverside does great work.
Outside lights are 4500 lumens ea.(2 of em ) same ones they use on the DUI check point trailers, lol
Strip LED under awning, interior all LED lights, and yes this is a 26ftx8.5 wide car trailer :thumbsup
Here's a pic of mine inside, picking up Friday IMG_3428.JPG

Hammer

Reaction score
Thank you! Ya, I had a thread but got lazy and didnt update!

I would add a plug at a minimum, make it easy to store and charge your SxS when you are not using it.

This place has some descent stuff to organize-
https://pitproducts.com/collections/shelves-and-bins

Collapsable work bench- but you would need 2 of these if you were going to mount up front- https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Cargo-Organizers/Tow-Rax/TWSP45HFTA.htm

I was looking at these for outside lights- https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Li...Ztup5OQu-D1IrwYOefSHJT9xcS4ewL8RoCCHQQAvD_BwE

Another thing to think about is an extra water tank if you get a motorhome. My wife and kids burn through the 100 gallons of water in my MH. I keep an extra 100 gallons of fresh water in the nose of my trailer and have a transfer pump so I can refill my RV tanks when needed.

Funny you say that... started MH shopping this week. Tried the toy hauler route but it didn?t work for us. Good thinking on the xtra water. [emoji1303]

Thanks again for the links.

Hammer

Reaction score
Nice trailer Mike [emoji108]

Interior lighting
Exterior lighting
Cabinets / counter top
Awning

Thanks Cam!! I have two projects going on as well as the trailer. Somehow I gotta get em done. No time though

Hammer

Reaction score
Outside lights are 4500 lumens ea.(2 of em ) same ones they use on the DUI check point trailers, lol
Strip LED under awning, interior all LED lights, and yes this is a 26ftx8.5 wide car trailer :thumbsup
Here's a pic of mine inside, picking up Friday View attachment 592025

That turned out great! [emoji1303]

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine inside, picking up Friday View attachment 592025

That looks impressive. I will hit them up, another guy from work told me to go there too. My trailer is gonna be back in OC next month after a stop in Glamis from havasu. This the season... :)

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
That turned out great! [emoji1303]

Thanks, it was a sand show trailer or something, so they took 7k or so off, it was pretty much identical to what I wanted to have them build and more ( fully insulated, heat and air, fridge) Had them add 2nd bed, cook top and microwave, 50 gal fuel station, propane stub on side for bbq tie in, 42in flat screen. It's over the top heavy duty. Actually would need commercial license to tow because of axles, but we got around that :)

Room for rail with paddles on and 2 quads

Will be adding stereo inside and out in the next week or so. No RDP 10 year anniversary for me, sorry Dave
glamis bound Friday

Hammer

Reaction score
My trailer was almost identical to this Mike except for the color....

I put a weight distributing hitch on mine and it made a WORLD of difference when towing....

View attachment 592035

View attachment 592036

I?m pretty sure my buddy Steve bought your trailer. It?s still well kept. [emoji1303]

Never thought of a weight distribution hitch. I?ll look into it.