WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Back on it

slowride

Reaction score
Brought the front wheels home today and tires will be here tomorrow. Now the age old question (and about the only time I play the "traditional" card).......push in wheel caps or exposed hub and bearing caps? When I'm looking for an older look I go back to my youth and get ahold of chrome bearing caps and nothing else.
Opinions?
whl5.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Was tracking the tire shipment all day and looking forward to getting home, mounting the tires and throwing them on. Got home, changed and headed out to the garage to mount the tires. Got them on with very little hassle then jacked up the right front and pulled off the spoke (insert screeching tire sound now). Those 15x6" 5 on 4.5's? Well, they're close. They pulled 5 on 4.75's instead.
I have no doubt it'll be corrected quickly, but talk about let downs. Anyhow, this shot shows how much taller I went with this tire over the others..... 2" taller. Well, back to wiring......
whl6.jpg

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Brought the front wheels home today and tires will be here tomorrow. Now the age old question (and about the only time I play the "traditional" card).......push in wheel caps or exposed hub and bearing caps? When I'm looking for an older look I go back to my youth and get ahold of chrome bearing caps and nothing else.
Opinions?
whl5.jpg

I like the choice of wheels Mike.:thumbsup
Davd

slowride

Reaction score
LOL:D Of course you will.
Will she ever ride in the rumble seat? ;)
No rumble seat on this (trunk). This is being built so she can drive it, so as soon as it's done I'll toss her the keys and move on to the next project. Been looking for the right one for months. The next one will only "technically" be a street car...... time to go racing again. :D

slowride

Reaction score
I hope someone in my house knows electrical. :eek:
I'm only about 5 circuits away from done, so it looks further away than it really is. We're here for the next 3 weeks so I should be able to get the wiring finished, blow it apart, do the finish work and paint on the tank, THEN re-assemble and fire.
tankwire.jpg

milkmoney

Reaction score
I been following the thread and jus hit the thanks button, as to allow u to jus keep sharing , jus wanted to say ," bitchin ride " and keep the progressive and pics coming
[emoji106] [emoji202]

slowride

Reaction score
I been following the thread and jus hit the thanks button, as to allow u to jus keep sharing , jus wanted to say ," bitchin ride " and keep the progressive and pics coming
[emoji106] [emoji202]

Thanks, I appreciate it. To be honest I'm kind of done building boats (but still enjoy taking the cruiser out and have engine plans for it). It may seem a bit odd posting a car build on a boat board, but there's a lot of the build that crosses over.
This'll be on the street soon, so the next project is already being sought. I'm looking for a 1968 or 69 Fairlane or Torino fastback preferably with a 302. If it came from Detroit with a small block it'll make transplanting the 545 that much easier. 4 link and tub it for big tires and it's time to go racing again.

slowride

Reaction score
Apart for the last time. Yes, that's supposed to be a harness (it'll clean up a bit while it's out). Time for a bit of metalwork, paint and reassemble the harness and gauges.
harness1.jpg

harness2.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Made progress with the first coat of epoxy primer. Need to skim some filler where the panels were added then time for finish paint and re-assembly.
dash4.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Done about all I can do on the harness until the tank's painted I start re-assembly. Can't tell you HOW over I am with wiring. Of course I'll be saying that about bondo this weekend too......
harness3.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Body, prime and prep today. Paint tomorrow! I hope my painting skills are better than my bondo skills (self inflicted booger on the top)!
tank15.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Hit the garage early. Before you look at the pic, keep in mind this is a learning deal.... I'm not a body man and I'm sure not a painter. The past 4-1/2 years has been trying new things and sometimes crashing and burning. The next car will be leaps and bounds above this just from what I've learned.
tank16.jpg

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Hit the garage early. Before you look at the pic, keep in mind this is a learning deal.... I'm not a body man and I'm sure not a painter. The past 4-1/2 years has been trying new things and sometimes crashing and burning. The next car will be leaps and bounds above this just from what I've learned.
tank16.jpg

You don't need to be Mike. Shelly has kept herself in shape and she needs no paint. :D

Keep on plugging away on the Model "A". :cool

slowride

Reaction score
You don't need to be Mike. Shelly has kept herself in shape and she needs no paint. :D

Keep on plugging away on the Model "A". :cool

I can't improve on her :thumbup:. I think I'm going to let this kick for a few days, wet sand it with some 2000 and do a light buff on it. With the harness done, re-assembly will go real quick, and I'm taking a week off to get this done so we should be cruising by Labor day.

slowride

Reaction score
Sometimes I can't leave well enough alone, but it doesn't always bite me. Spent some time with 600, 1000 and 2000 grit to take some orange peel out. Not show quality, but let's call it "nice street".
Time to assemble this sucker. Took all next week off to get this on the road by Labor Day.
tank17.jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
I need some of your time and dedication to get my shit back together. Keep up with the pictures, the car is coming out really nice:thumbup:

slowride

Reaction score
I need some of your time and dedication to get my shit back together. Keep up with the pictures, the car is coming out really nice:thumbup:
Thanks! The time is pretty much every spare weeknight and weekend I have. Weeknights don't really move it along quickly, but it all adds up. That's why I'm gonna bust ass all next week for the final push.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Looking very nice and you are getting close...real close.

:thumbup:

slowride

Reaction score
Got lights, power windows, gauges. Going to be spinning and starting it tomorrow or Friday. I need to go buy 4 ramps to get some work room under it. :eek It's almost PAINFUL how close it is. I have to make a punch list each night just to keep from rushing it.
Pics later....

slowride

Reaction score
It's a good day. Couple gremlins to chase down tomorrow, but nothing major.
[video=youtube;WlM8HpFoV4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlM8HpFoV4M[/video]

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
It's a good day. Couple gremlins to chase down tomorrow, but nothing major.
[video=youtube;WlM8HpFoV4M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlM8HpFoV4M[/video]

I could not see the video, but stay on it Mike. :thumbup:

slowride

Reaction score
Has to be a very good feeling.:)
Tomorrow it'll roll under it's own power. Ran out of ATF (thirsty lil bastard), but I want to get it to move before I spend the time setting pinion angle, alignment, etc. This 5.0 HO is a responsive little bugger....... ;)

Hallett Dave

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Tomorrow it'll roll under it's own power. Ran out of ATF (thirsty lil bastard), but I want to get it to move before I spend the time setting pinion angle, alignment, etc. This 5.0 HO is a responsive little bugger....... ;)

I'm sure that 5.0 will be fun. :thumbup:

And I am sure that Shelly will be looking good in the driver's seat. :)

slowride

Reaction score
I've been putting a few miles on it to shake it down , but now I have to finish a few areas before I really hit the street.
I'm not real thrilled with the filler neck I have coming and to be honest the only reason I'm going with that is for a tank vent outside the trunk. After work I decided to hardline a vent outside the trunk, but I don't know yet if it's temporary or if I'm going to run with it. Put as tall a loop in it as possible and all the runs go "downhill", so any vapor won't pool in low spots.
vent1.jpg

vent2.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Gotta work out a few wrinkles after I get the snaps installed, but it looks like a ....... car. In a couple days I'll take some pics of the Veltex snaps...... very cool pieces. Between the sound deadener, padding and carpet, the drone is knocked down considerably. Something simple and kinda nothing I'm jazzed about is the matching high beam pedal pad I found. It's the little stuff......
carpet3.jpg
carpet4.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Tah dah! Still need to trim the pad under the main carpet section so it sits right around the hump, but that's a quick deal. Went back and forth on how to do the carpet and pad over the hump, but it worked out. Put down the snaps this weekend and it's on to painting the interior panels. Gotta use a bit of imagination to visualize it with the dash rail (among other things) black metallic, but I'm getting enthused again.
carpet5.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Carpet's done and took it out for a putt. Drone is WAY down so now it's basically exhaust tone in the cab.
Didn't plan on it, but struck a deal and the next project will be here Saturday. '32 3 window Gibbs body, TCI frame with triangulated 9", tacked in for LS. Basically a roller with an assortment of body and chassis parts. Pics once it home and tucked in.....

rvrrun

Reaction score
Carpet's done and took it out for a putt. Drone is WAY down so now it's basically exhaust tone in the cab.
Didn't plan on it, but struck a deal and the next project will be here Saturday. '32 3 window Gibbs body, TCI frame with triangulated 9", tacked in for LS. Basically a roller with an assortment of body and chassis parts. Pics once it home and tucked in.....

I've never heard of Gibbs, did you mean Gibbon? I planned on using their Tudor body when I started my '32, but all of my calls were never answered and someone on the HAMB said they were out of business.

slowride

Reaction score
I've never heard of Gibbs, did you mean Gibbon? I planned on using their Tudor body when I started my '32, but all of my calls were never answered and someone on the HAMB said they were out of business.

Sorry, Gibbon.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Sorry, Gibbon.

That's good to know, if they are back in business. The only place we've found to get a glass Tudor body is out of Australia, and the shipping makes it worth finding a gennie deuce.

slowride

Reaction score
Can't afford steel and picking this package up so cheap is a steal. Now to decide which way to go engine-wise.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Can't afford steel and picking this package up so cheap is a steal. Now to decide which way to go engine-wise.

The LS would be resale ready, if that's the plan. Cutting the firewall for a Brookville or Vintique really helps sell the steel look (especially since the deluxe coupe didn't have drip rails). I have a a rare 8BA (std/std and no cracks) that would sell it even more. I'd probably do the boring SBC/tremec. Does it have a title, or is it easier to register special builds in AZ?

slowride

Reaction score
The LS would be resale ready, if that's the plan. Cutting the firewall for a Brookville or Vintique really helps sell the steel look (especially since the deluxe coupe didn't have drip rails). I have a a rare 8BA (std/std and no cracks) that would sell it even more. I'd probably do the boring SBC/tremec. Does it have a title, or is it easier to register special builds in AZ?
I can get it titled as a 32 in AZ. I'll probably drink several beers staring at it to see where it will go. Early hemi? Flatty with a QC? Bellybutton? Time will tell.....
7.jpg
6.jpg

rvrrun

Reaction score
That definitely looks like a Gibbon. You're going to spend a bunch of time with a tubing bender on the inner structure, but that's where the fun is.

slowride

Reaction score
Fab's all done! Finished the rear exhaust hangers, so now it's on to more cosmetic pursuits. I'll get the headliner material out this week to get the seams sewn and start on interior paint next weekend.

slowride

Reaction score
A few posts ago I mentioned the Veltex snaps I found, and here they are. Stupid little detail, but when I decided to put everything under the floor I knew I would need a way to access the brake master and battery. I decided to make the carpet section removable and just kind of assumed I'd wind up using the usual chrome headed snaps. Wasn't thrilled, but resigned myself to it.
Then I was poking around and found these snaps that were used on 60's British sports cars. Nearly invisible when installed in black carpet, gave me just the look I wanted. The pic below shows where the snaps are installed. After this I spaced the male portion of the snap up about 1/8" to make snapping easier and eliminate the slight "pucker" it has in the pic.
Not earth shattering, but kinda neat when you don't have to compromise (no matter how small the detail).
veltex.jpg
carpet5-2.jpg

Maw

Dont re Member
Reaction score
I can get it titled as a 32 in AZ. I'll probably drink several beers staring at it to see where it will go. Early hemi? Flatty with a QC? Bellybutton? Time will tell.....

If you decide to go with the early Hemi drop me a note. I've got a spare, machined, 331 short bell engine ready to assemble. NOS JE pistons from the ealy 60's. Just missing a camshaft and lifters. Your choice of heads, up to a fresh pair of Triple 5's.

Cheers, Mark

slowride

Reaction score
Out of room again......Have some pleated vinyl coming so I can upholster the trunk, but no more diversions, time to finish it up.
stuffed.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Had a few cocktails and starting to think of things to do. I'm thinking I can cut the frame at the B pillar, kick it in and tub it with some BIG rubber in the rear. I'd have to narrow the 9" again, re-do the suspension (4 link or ladder) and make fiberglass tubs. Not a lot to lose changing it up right now........

slowride

Reaction score
Spent some time with a tape measure to see what would fall where. Bottom line is there isn't enough wheelbase to go parallel (and adjustable) 4 link and still mount a usable seat in it. Looks like I'll stick with the triangulated 4 link and work around it.
Oh well.......:rolleyes

slowride

Reaction score
Well, as I get more miles on this and start pushing it, a few nasty little traits have surfaced. It stumbles and misfires around 3k rpm and sneezes and backfires thru the carb when you try to jump on it. Come to find out they are known issues with the Holley Street Avenger carbs and Holley tech can't guarantee it can be tuned out. :finger
So rather than beat my head against the wall, I have a Quick Fuel 650 dual feed mechanical secondary carb coming. Thinking I'll actually be able to do a burnout in the near future.....:)
br-67254_01.jpg

slowride

Reaction score
Well I was right, I CAN do a burnout now. Fixing a couple things, finish the top and it's done.
Picked up the new project already and am moving on getting it going. 32 3 window will be getting the 545 and a couple race buckets. Bare minimum to be street legal so i can go streetlighting.