WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Help! Garage 2nd level stairway

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
Hey all,

I need to pick your brains... At the back of my garage I have a storage area. It’s 10’ off the ground and I need some kind of stairway or pulley system to access the area. I plan to put holiday decor and some other shit up there..

So my question is, what kind of ideas do you smart SOBs have for me to access the upper area?

IMG_6382.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas!

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I am going to give you a rough answer you may not want to hear. Aluminum extension ladder with a friend to pass decorations to. :D

Don’t sacrifice the space unless you are accessing the loft daily.

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
I am going to give you a rough answer you may not want to hear. Aluminum extension ladder with a friend to pass decorations to. :D

Don’t sacrifice the space unless you are accessing the loft daily.

Damnit! You and my wife have the same idea. My concern is that some of the stuff I want to store up there is heavy and awkward.

Wife 1 Me 0

I will probably start with this today and see how it works out.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Id do a staircase on the right side under the window if it was me and put my rollaway toolbox under the staircase.

Maybe a hinged staircase?

You could also do a cargo lift of sorts.

Hey all,

I need to pick your brains... At the back of my garage I have a storage area. It’s 10’ off the ground and I need some kind of stairway or pulley system to access the area. I plan to put holiday decor and some other shit up there..

So my question is, what kind of ideas do you smart SOBs have for me to access the upper area?

View attachment 639497

View attachment 639498

Ryan

buck35

Reaction score
That made me think of Clark getting locked in the attic....:p:p:p

Lol.
My first thought actually was I think what wsuwrhr was saying with a stair type deal that could store against wall and pull out and act as a stair for use, albeit with no handrails

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
Can you install a pull down attic stair in the room underneath?

Yes I left room between the floor trusses but I’m concerned the bulky items would be to bulky to get through..

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have a similar loft area at the back of my new garage addition. The stuff that goes up there is holiday crap and stuff we don't use often. I just pull out the step ladder when I need it. And then put the ladder away. Doesn't waste any space and I really only get up there once every few months.

ryanshaw07

Reaction score
So for today I used the back of the truck with a ladder.. got all the shit up there. Headed to Costco now to get some shelving to organize the shit.

I have a feeling it will be the ladder in the back of the truck method for awhile.

Thanks for all your ideas. A lot of them were great inventions or ideas.

Ryan

DLC

Reaction score
I would say just break down and buy a 10 or 12 ft A frame step ladder or a gorilla type ladder (Home Depot)

Maybe set a refrigerator or a shelf rack so you could lift stuff and set it up on top of the refer or shelf rack and then you can lift it again the rest of the way. Lift it in 2 lifts rather than one big one. A frame ladder can fold up and set or hang on a wall.

Also buy a bunch of plastic totes, we like clear ones so you can see what’s inside, with the fold down lids and are stackable.. Things don’t fall out with the lids folded, I use them for all out holiday decorations and can fling them up into the attic w/ ease by myself but it’s alot of up/down...

Good luck and share a pic when you get it all loaded up

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
I would say just break down and buy a 10 or 12 ft A frame step ladder or a gorilla type ladder (Home Depot)

Maybe set a refrigerator or a shelf rack so you could lift stuff and set it up on top of the refer or shelf rack and then you can lift it again the rest of the way. Lift it in 2 lifts rather than one big one. A frame ladder can fold up and set or hang on a wall.

Also buy a bunch of plastic totes, we like clear ones so you can see what’s inside, with the fold down lids and are stackable.. Things don’t fall out with the lids folded, I use them for all out holiday decorations and can fling them up into the attic w/ ease by myself but it’s alot of up/down...

Good luck and share a pic when you get it all loaded up
See post above yours. :D

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Cut a 30" wide set of stairs and be done with it.Get rid of a ton more clutter in your garage.30" off your garage wall is not that much.

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
Step up your game...

small_sign_elevator_template.jpg

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Another option would be have less shit...

:p:p:p

Not helpful, I realize...but it's 2 hours earlier here, and the drinkin lamp is lit.

Glad to read you got your stuff put away. :):)

SoCalDave

Reaction score
First thing I would recommend is to check and see if those rafters are going to hold all the weight of your shit. :D

Kaotic

Reaction score
I am also trying to figure out a ladder setup to my upper storage in the back of the garage so it is not in the way when not in use.
E4381440-4B52-470E-8FBD-8F50352FC786.jpeg
87562BDA-463D-4293-8CD6-07B2A552F955.jpeg

500bbc

Reaction score
Hey all,

View attachment 639497

View attachment 639498

Ryan

First, how big are the CJ's?