WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Private Pilot License Training

zhandfull

Reaction score
Thinking about doing some flying and logging some hours with an instructor. If I remember correctly there is a couple pilots on the board from the Inland Empire area.
Getting licensed is not going to be a speedy process for me, probably only be able to afford a couple hours a month in the air. More for fun at this point while logging some hours and experience in case I decide to get more serious later,

Any Instructor recommendations? I live near Cable and work near Riverside airport. Brackett is not to far away either.

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Subscribed. I’ve been talking to the lady about wanting to do the same exact thing! @Rvrluvr is my buddies boss and flies and is affiliated with cable (I think) so maybe he can’t point you/us in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
Right on !
Commercial helicopter license 25 years now. Only thing better than flying is pedaling my flatbottom.
Have fun & be safe

One of my best friends growing up is a pilot and his dad is a helicopter pilot/instructor. I’ve flown a lot when I was younger and boy was it fun.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Thinking about doing some flying and logging some hours with an instructor. If I remember correctly there is a couple pilots on the board from the Inland Empire area.
Getting licensed is not going to be a speedy process for me, probably only be able to afford a couple hours a month in the air. More for fun at this point while logging some hours and experience in case I decide to get more serious later,

Any Instructor recommendations? I live near Cable and work near Riverside airport. Brackett is not to far away either.

DUNEFLYER here did his training at cable I believe he will chime in

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Did my training in corona but my instructor who is a great guy is based out of cable. I will ask if he is taking on any students right now.

Reaction score

I took lessons out of Corona. They are below Class C, and a non towered airport. They were also less expensive.

PDQH2O

Reaction score
Right on !
Commercial helicopter license 25 years now. Only thing better than flying is pedaling my flatbottom.
Have fun & be safe

Very cool. Got my single engine license years ago, but always wanted my rotaty wing. Thought it would be fun. Life happened and flying had to take a back seat for a while. Those were some of the best days flying all over CA. Even met Chuck Yeager and had him sign my pilot's log.

When taking fixed wing lessons in the mid 80s I met a guy whose dad was a certified flight instructor, retired Navy. He had a friend who had a plane in Hawthorne, but lost his medical due to high BP. Ended up getting a Grumman Yankee American AA1A low wing fixed gear for $25/hr dry, and the lessons were about $20/hr if I recall correctly.

Couldn't imagine what it would cost now, but that was a sweet setup.

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score
Go to cable. Foothill Flying Club. Ask for Rick strack. Good guy & to the point. If your feelings get hurt easy, dont call rick. They will give you his #. Don’t go to the dickhead down the runway. Found out the hard expensive way what a tool he is!!!

Last edited:

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

If you want to do this for fun, here is my suggestion;

Get your sport pilot license. It is less time and you don't need to fuck with any medical bullshit. You can always finish up the Private later if you need to. You are limited to one passanger and airspeed in the planes you fly (and a few other limitations), but for bug smashing and hamburger runs it is almost perfect.

Only flying a few hours a month is going to add lots of $$$$ and time to earn a Private Pilot license.

fmo24

Reaction score
When I was considering getting mine my uncle suggested buying an inexpensive Cessna and then putting it into flying club or splitting cost with someone else. He said you could get many more hours in for far less money. Once licensed turn around and sell it and rent or buy what you really want.

Andy01

Reaction score
I'd all suggest save up a couple of months worth if your only going to fly a couple of times, try to start by flying several times in the first couple of weeks. Putting to much space in your training will drag out the length of time it takes you to get proficient. The more frequent your flights the easier the memorization is.

530RL

Reaction score

Get your sport pilot license. It is less time and you don't need to fuck with any medical bullshit. You can always finish up the Private later if you need to. You are limited to one passanger and airspeed in the planes you fly (and a few other limitations), but for bug smashing and hamburger runs it is almost perfect.

Only flying a few hours a month is going to add lots of $$$$ and time to earn a Private Pilot license.

This right here is excellent advice as sport pilot is the way to go for cost. I would also save up and then go do it as opposed to trying to do it over a longer period of time.

If you spread it out, it will end up costing you significantly more money as you need the repetition when getting over some hurdles in either rotary or fixed wing. Think of trying to learn to ride a bike by doing it once a month. Some parts of flying are muscle memory and once you get it down, like riding a bike, you may get a little rusty but the basic skills are there and will come back. You need to learn these certain skills and get over these hurdles by flying at least twice a week at least until you get these basic skills down, like round out and holding flares for landings..........or hovering in one spot.......

With respect to medicals, if you want to advance beyond a sport pilot license and get a private pilot's license, Basic Med is now law and it has taken a vast majority of the hassle out of private pilots ability to get past the BS associated with a medical.

You can also save some money by doing your sport/private pilot ground school online. Everyone has an opinion on what is best but I have found people really like the Cessna online classes as many people learn in Cessna's. It is basically a King Schools class modified for Cessna. Link here. https://cessnaflighttraining.kingschools.com/course/ppc/privatepilot.aspx

Mhemperly

Reaction score
Multi-engine commercial/instrument Airplane here!

There is some really good advice on here for you @zhandfull. I suggest not dragging it out too long because it will cost a lot more. But we all learn in our own way so may not be a problem for you.

Cable is a good place to train (I did my commercial ride there). I have a phone number for an FAA examiner that is based there. Really cool guy and can point you in the right direction and when you are ready for the check ride I highly recommend doing it with him. Pm me for contact info

Fair warning... flying is very very addictive and once you take your first solo, life will never be the same! Haha it’s very expensive but worth every penny. Just like boating, the people and the camaraderie are like nothing else. I’ve met some of my best friends around airplanes and boats. Make it fun and safe! Looking forward to seeing your progress on RDP!

Mike

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
And it allows.....
Quick trip to Havi, left French Valley this morning, wheels up at 7am, at my havi house by 8:20, work day for me here today.. Back home tomorrow by lunch time...
Luv this shit...

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
When I was considering getting mine my uncle suggested buying an inexpensive Cessna and then putting it into flying club or splitting cost with someone else. He said you could get many more hours in for far less money. Once licensed turn around and sell it and rent or buy what you really want.

There is no such thing as an inexpensive Airplane.

The easiest route is find a flying club with instructors.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Do they still allow a portion of the hours to be logged on a simulator?

Reaction score
There is no such thing as an inexpensive Airplane.

The easiest route is find a flying club with instructors.
I just sold my 1979 Cessna 172. I owned it 6 years. Covered tie-down in Arizona was $1300 a year. Insurance for a 300+ hour pilot was $695 a year. Basic annual was $850. Over the 6 years I owned it, I spent about $6000 in typical repairs and tires. I put about 325 hours on the aircraft. I paid cash for the airplane, so I didn't have a loan payment.

I have been building an experimental airplane for years (RV-7/A), and finally got it airworthy, so the Cessna had to go.

RV-7A 200hp c/s
rv7a.jpg

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
I've been kicking around this idea for about 6 months now. Just need to find the time to do it

DaBank

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a instructor out of Apple Valley? Was thinking about buying a Cessna to get get my license. Two friends when I was younger both bought 172's to save on hourly rate and just to make it easier.
What is some of the good points of a flight club?

Last edited:

Enen

Reaction score
I’m in the process of getting my private pilot certification.

Did all my coursework/ groundschool prep online at www.mzeroa.com

Now my task is to build hours as time permits and take my checkride.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a instructor out of Apple Valley? Was thinking about buying a Cessna to get get my license. Two friends when I was younger both bought 173's to save on hourly rate and just to make it easier.
172, no such thing as a 173.

A good club gives you far lower ownership costs than owning, cheaper than renting, and insulates you from some of the big "surprises" when you own an airplane.

Unless you fly a significant amount (like 100+ hours a year) outright ownership just doesn't make sense in the long run. And what is your plan when you have all your cash tied up in an "inexpensive Cessna" and you find metal in the oil filter on the annual? Whoops, now you have to spend $20K-30K dollars for an engine overhaul.

elco

Reaction score
Go to cable. Foothill Flying Club. Ask for Rick strack. Good guy & to the point. If your feelings get hurt easy, dont call rick. They will give you his #. Don’t go to the dickhead down the runway. Found out the hard expensive way what a tool he is!!!

I would also recommend Rick and Foothill Flying Club at Cable airport. I had Rick as my primary CFI and passed my checkride almost two years ago now. Call and schedule a discovery flight for $99 or $150 in either a 2 place or 4 place aircraft. Depending on how quickly you pick up and retain new skills I would try to at least take two lessons a week. I paid as I went and was lucky to get a few lessons a month and it was noticeable how much training needed to be performed just to relearn what I had done in the last flight because of the time between lessons, though this became less of an issue after 20 hours or so.

Last edited:

elco

Reaction score
Anyone have a suggestion for a instructor out of Apple Valley? Was thinking about buying a Cessna to get get my license. Two friends when I was younger both bought 173's to save on hourly rate and just to make it easier.
The biggest benefit to a club is that it only costs you money when you fly and in many cases you can have access to multiple aircraft. By the time you factor maintenance, annual inspection costs, and operating costs renting is usually cheaper up until around 100 hours a year and 100 hours a year is a lot of flying.

rrrr

Reaction score
Only advice I can offer is that if you decide to go ahead with getting a license, you need to consult with an Aviation Medical Examiner before proceeding with spending $10K

If you have ever been diagnosed with ADD, even as a child, are taking antidepressants, or have a DUI in your past it'll be a long and expensive road to a license. There are also certain crimes that attract the attention of the TSA and require background checks and other BS.

If you get a Sport Pilot license all of this can be avoided.

If you do have some of these issues in your past, do not go to an Aviation Medical Examiner to start the process of getting a medical. There's an online form called a Med Express.

Do not fill it out and give the number to the AME if you have any of the above issues. It will disqualify you for a Sport Pilot license. Instead, make an appointment for a consultation. Explain your issues and find out his opinion.

530RL said:

"With respect to medicals, if you want to advance beyond a sport pilot license and get a private pilot's license, Basic Med is now law and it has taken a vast majority of the hassle out of private pilots ability to get past the BS associated with a medical."

You only qualify for Basic Med if you have previously held or hold a Third Class medical certificate. You can't get one if you're a new pilot.

Last edited:

DaBank

Reaction score
172, no such thing as a 173.

A good club gives you far lower ownership costs than owning, cheaper than renting, and insulates you from some of the big "surprises" when you own an airplane.

Unless you fly a significant amount (like 100+ hours a year) outright ownership just doesn't make sense in the long run. And what is your plan when you have all your cash tied up in an "inexpensive Cessna" and you find metal in the oil filter on the annual? Whoops, now you have to spend $20K-30K dollars for an engine overhaul.
Any flight clubs in Apple Valley (High Desert)?

zhandfull

Reaction score
I would also recommend Rick and Foothill Flying Club at Cable airport. I had Rick as my primary CFI and passed my checkride almost two years ago now. Call and schedule a discovery flight for $99 or $150 in either a 2 place or 4 place aircraft. Depending on how quickly you pick up and retain new skills I would try to at least take two lessons a week. I paid as I went and was lucky to get a few lessons a month and it was noticeable how much training needed to be performed just to relearn what I had done in the last flight because of the time between lessons, though this became less of an issue after 20 hours or so.
Sounds like you went the same direction I'm thinking with the pay as you go route. Money will definitely limit my training for the first year but then I can see myself going all in for training and check flight thereafter.
Twenty years ago did a few flights out of cable in a 172 and a Piper with another pilot that was doing some local flights to maintain his skills and insurability. Really enjoyed flying then and I'm sure I will again.
Been in a rut and not real motivated about anything other than work and surfing the web for the last few years.
Still like the cars, boats, and motorcycles but they don't excited me quite like they use to. I think flying will get me excited and off my ass to go do something again.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback it's very much appreciated.

Havasteve

Reaction score
Got my private license 37 years ago.

Get a private license. I rented planes out of Riverside in the 80's. Find out who rents at Riverside and use their instructor. Rent different types of planes.

Flying from Havasu to BigBear tomorrow morning for breakfast..

Andy01

Reaction score
My biggest problem being based in Havasu is there are almost no airplanes for rent. If I purchase a airplane I cannot get a hanger here in Havasu unless I buy one. I’d really like to be able to rent several times a month but I have not been able to find anything reliable. I understand there is a older 172, and 152 available for rental but both (from hear say) need service.
Flying is a lot of fun so long as you take it serious, it is by far my favorite thing to do. Fast boats are fun, but flying adds the other elements.

Steve how long is your flight from here to Big Bear?

Reaction score
My biggest problem being based in Havasu is there are almost no airplanes for rent. If I purchase a airplane I cannot get a hanger here in Havasu unless I buy one. I’d really like to be able to rent several times a month but I have not been able to find anything reliable. I understand there is a older 172, and 152 available for rental but both (from hear say) need service.
Flying is a lot of fun so long as you take it serious, it is by far my favorite thing to do. Fast boats are fun, but flying adds the other elements.

I wouldn't worry about any 172/152, as log as the annual is done.

Most of the aircraft you will own, or fly, will be 20-40 years old. I really like the new c-172SP's, but it comes with a huge cost, most of us can't budget.

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I am Single & Multi Engine rated with Instrument rating and A&P as well. Been flying for 50 years now.
It is a major commitiment but one of the most worthwhile things I have ever done. I love flying and boating.
I keep my Baron in a hangar in Van Nuys and it takes me 1:15 to fly to Havasu as opposed to driving 5:30-6:00 hours.
IMG_0008.JPG

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
I am Single & Multi Engine rated with Instrument rating and A&P as well. Been flying for 50 years now.
It is a major commitiment but one of the most worthwhile things I have ever done. I love flying and boating.
I keep my Baron in a hangar in Van Nuys and it takes me 1:15 to fly to Havasu as opposed to driving 5:30-6:00 hours. View attachment 664427

How much for a flight to havasu and back? Lol
I live a few blocks from Van Nuys airport

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
How much for a flight to havasu and back? Lol
I live a few blocks from Van Nuys airport

Gas for a round trip flight is around $400.00

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
I'm in the air conditioning business, so I have no time this time of year.
That doesn't even count engine time either.
It seems like every trip to the lake is about $1,000.00 by the time I buy airplane gas, boat gas, truck gas for the Havasu truck, Hangar rental ($30.00 per night).
Not cheap, but worth it.

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score
It seems like every trip to the lake is about $1,000.00 by the time I buy airplane gas, boat gas, truck gas for the Havasu truck, Hangar rental ($30.00 per night).
Not cheap, but worth it.

I totally understand with work. I make the drive from SFV to Parker damn near every Thursday and come back Monday 3-4 times a month. Did I tell you that I’m over the drive?! Lol
Not to mention I put a shit ton of miles on my supercharged 2017 Denali truck! [emoji1304]

rrrr

Reaction score
I keep my Baron in a hangar in Van Nuys and it takes me 1:15 to fly to Havasu as opposed to driving 5:30-6:00 hours. View attachment 664427

That's a really nice looking Baron. :cool:

rumdad

Reaction score
Not cheap, but worth it.
Hey Dave, I lurk here more than I post. I recognized you by your story and name. I think it's time to service your magneto's. Lol

Robert Rumm
Aero Accessories

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Havasteve

Reaction score

One hour to Big Bear.

You can take lessons in Havasu and use the Cessna172 they rent at Desert Skies. By the time you have your ticket you'll have found a plane or a partial of one that's already hangared. The Air Center will hanger planes, they just get moved around a little.

just start taking lessons and deal with things as you go.

But wait till it cools off a little.

grumpy88

Reaction score
Gas for a round trip flight is around $400.00
And this is why I will not be getting a license . As much as I want one my time is cheaper then the full cost . Bums me out though . Wave when you see me sitting in traffic ! Lol

grumpy88

Reaction score
I totally understand with work. I make the drive from SFV to Parker damn near every Thursday and come back Monday 3-4 times a month. Did I tell you that I’m over the drive?! Lol
Not to mention I put a shit ton of miles on my supercharged 2017 Denali truck! [emoji1304]

You sound like us . We live in Canoga park and try to go Thursday to Monday to parker as well . Traffic sucks and seams to be getting worse . If we didn't have dogs I think I would really look into a boat in channel islands instead .

Andy01

Reaction score
One hour to Big Bear.

You can take lessons in Havasu and use the Cessna172 they rent at Desert Skies. By the time you have your ticket you'll have found a plane or a partial of one that's already hangared. The Air Center will hanger planes, they just get moved around a little.

just start taking lessons and deal with things as you go.

But wait till it cools off a little.
I have my private, single engine high performance. Use to fly newer 172 G1000's and a 182 turbo out of KLGB. I am not current as of right now .

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
Hey Dave, I lurk here more than I post. I recognized you by your story and name. I think it's time to service your magneto's. Lol

Robert Rumm
Aero Accessories

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hi Robert,
I think you just did two years ago. Matt pulled them off and sent them out.
Working perfect. And Jeannie does my plugs on a regular basis.
Thanks,
Dave

rrrr

Reaction score

How many hours do you squeeze in per year?

If you don't mind my asking, can you run down the avionics installed in the aircraft? With that aircraft and your instrument rating, I'm guessing you get great utility out of it and take some nice trips eastwards.

It looks like your average block time between Van Nuys and Lake Havasu City is about 1:20. That's really nice, it beats sitting in freeway traffic. Heck, it would probably take twice that long to go from Van Nuys to Fontana heading out of town on a Friday afternoon.

Last edited:

Dkahnjob

Reaction score
You sound like us . We live in Canoga park and try to go Thursday to Monday to parker as well . Traffic sucks and seams to be getting worse . If we didn't have dogs I think I would really look into a boat in channel islands instead .

I live in West Hills (actually Canoga Park also, 91304) We must be close by. I am near Roscoe & Valley Circle.