WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Silver Lake Sand Dunes

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Well, Just got back from a Jam Packed weekend in Michigan. A little on how this trip came about, Dunestars is a group of buddies from Michigan who are putting on events out there and building a community. The two founders of Dunestars reached out to me about a month ago and asked if I wanted to come out for the weekend for Long Travel Round Up. I said hell ya, they bought my ticket and that was that. I kind of goofed up on flying into Detroit, it was like $200 cheaper but is also 3.5 hours away from the dunes. So next trip, i will fly into Grand Rapids and thats only an hour from the Dunes. Got there friday evening and my first impression was how popping the little town that the Silver Lake Sand Dunes was in. It seems like one of those like carnival towns, go carts, resorts, trailer parks, dunes, lake nearby. Just a really cool feel to the town, waaaaayyyy different than Glamis. When the guys originally contacted me to come out, they asked if I wanted a hotel and I said no im good im fine on a couch. What I didnt realize at the time was that the guys "cabins" were actually single wide trailers lol. Luckily my buddies Blake and Aaron were there with his trailer and I was able to crash with them. Oh ya, and Dunehoon lol.

Saturday was the day of their "Long Travel Roundup" i didnt really know what to suspect but it was really cool! They do this event every year where they invite all "long travels"(sand cars) to the dunes and line them all up and showcase them. they cooked 2000 hotdogs for everyone and gave away free Ice cream. Shreddy and Dunestars sold t-shirts. Bounce house for the kids. Some giveaways but there could have been more. It was really cool to have everyone hanging out in one place just bull shitting abotu each others cars. Very similar to the drags but a lot less craziness and a lot more orginization. Then they all went to "test hill" to take a picture of all the cars lined up. I couldnt believe how many nice cars are out there! DWB old Racer, 5 or 6 Funcos, a bunch of Tatums, Colorado Sand Trucks, a Few SCU, Sand Limo, Buckshot. Just a lot of money! the dunes themselves are nothing to rave about. They actually dont really dune out there, They kind of do laps around the dunes, a lap takes about 10 minutes. they dont really hit any bowls or transitions. The test hill itself is liek 4 hills lined up that you pop over the top of each one and continue. They make for some good floater jumps. They have a weird parking system where you have to get a voucher to be able to park in the lot, and to get the voucher you have to be to the Welcome Center by 6 AM. No camping on the dunes. They dont open till 9 and close at Sundown. we are talking about 400 acres of rideable sand. Would I go back? Absolutely. it was some of the most beautiful Area I have ever been to. Besides them being so small, it is cool to ride for a while then take a swim in some of the lakes that are out there. All in all it was a rad day![GALLERY=]
image3.jpeg
image1(1).jpeg
[/GALLERY]

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Kinda like Oregon. You can ride right on the beach.

Way cool!

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Been there several times. You climb to the top of the lighthouse.?
We stayed at the motel across from the gocarts tracks.

dirtyduner

Reaction score
Been there several times. You climb to the top of the lighthouse.?
We stayed at the motel across from the gocarts tracks.
didn't climb to the lighthouse. most of our time in the dunes was on the go. rode in 10-15 different cars doing laps around. Then went on Silver lake and wake surfed one of the days. I stayed on the street right across from the go kart track. Group called Dunestars brought me out for an event! what a rad place!