WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building a bar and fire pit

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Start with the fire fit. Originally thought about an 8’ square pit, then realized that was pretty big so dropped it to 6’ square.

IMG_5566.JPG

So, here we go with some clean level ground. Putting the fire pit right in the center of the yard where it could be enjoyed from the cuzzi and the bar area. Even put thought into seeing it lit from the kitchen bar area inside of the house as well.

IMG_5484.JPG

Several other things going on at the same time, a planter / sitting wall to cover footings from other work not done very well which I think will be good to break up and soften the flow of so much stucco and stone work later.

IMG_5587.JPG

The fill level will need to be brought up for the level of new deck. With a step up from patio level all the way across the remaining width of space.

IMG_5560.JPG

I had sketched a few ideas for the bar and decided to go with this for a start. Later adding cutouts for sink and fridge.

IMG_5371.JPG

IMG_5483.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

This is an area of work that had been completed (previous phase) with the cuzzi and the deck work around it. The caps were put on the lower walls and then decided to extend a bar top or counter area.

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

Thinking ahead, I started to search for stone and caps for these areas. This stone will be used on all of the work being done.

IMG_5576.JPG

Off to a good start! More to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Originally the caps were put on walls around cuzzi to be used as sitting area. Then the thought changes to extend an area that would have dual use. Why not extend that out to have the ability to put a couple barstools on lower lever to enjoy both.

IMG_2817.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_5666.JPG

IMG_5719.JPG

IMG_6183.JPG

IMG_6195.JPG

IMG_6197.JPG

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The fire pit will run on propane. An underground supply line from the bar area.

IMG_5716.JPG

IMG_5717.JPG

IMG_6184.JPG

Two burners, two valves

IMG_6193.JPG

Fill it with concrete

IMG_6194.JPG

Some fire stone and burners

IMG_7596.JPG

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The long row of blocks across yard on right side of pic will be a step up from the patio deck level, this will need to be filled in with dirt and the decking. The top of the cap will Be deck level around bar and fire pit.

IMG_5720.JPG

The left side of this step up will be backfilled and deck will be at the cap level.

IMG_6186.JPG

IMG_6187.JPG

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The U shaped bar will have granite tops and have muti level counter tops with sink and fridge. It also will have access for propane tanks to supply the fire pit.

This shows the built in bbq being started along the side wall to the rear of the bar with a large pass thru for access from both sides.

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5567.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5585.JPG

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The curved planter wall will require a lot of backfill. So, we will be bringing dirt back thru the garage for that soon and to fill the deck level up a bit as well. The planter wall was intended to be a sitting wall but made it bigger for some lights and small plants.

IMG_5587.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5564.JPG

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Stone shows up

IMG_7070.JPG

Time to shine, this came out pretty nice. Stoked with the work done!

Extension near cuzzi

IMG_7201.JPG

Planter wall / sitting wall. It can be seen here just how much dirt needs to be brought back in to fill for deck.

IMG_7207.JPG

A good view of the step up for new deck level. The bar extension for cuzzi on the felt, the fire pit in middle, bar on the right and the planter / sitting wall along the back. All the stone came out great.

IMG_7432.JPG

IMG_7457.JPG

Selfie [emoji3]

IMG_7947.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Here comes the granite counter tops. Five 10’ pieces.

IMG_7938.JPG

IMG_7940.JPG

And a beverage center with sink / ice bin

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

Don’t forget the bbq

IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_7951.JPG

IMG_7950.JPG

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
The fire pit with 300 Lbs of fire glass [emoji102]

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7628.JPG

IMG_8323.JPG

IMG_8329.JPG

IMG_7923.JPG

Next up, tear out concrete patio, bring in dirt for backfill and decide what to use for the new deck.

Have been thinking the belgard pavers again but looking at travertine or maybe even flagstone like we did around cuzzi.

Last edited:

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Looks great! Will be nice to have an outdoor kitchen and the firepit to sit around and chat.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The fire pit

View attachment 621249

View attachment 621250

View attachment 621251

View attachment 621252

View attachment 621253

Next up, tear out concrete patio, bring in dirt for backfill and decide what to use for the new deck.

Have been thinking the belgard pavers again but looking at travertine or maybe even flagstone like we did around cuzzi.

Belgard makes a 2x2 porcelain paver that looks sweet. Ordering some today for a house entryway.

DLC

Reaction score
Looks really nice! I like what you did in the back yard, really usable space and private.

Are you going to install a patio type cover over the bar area? Aluma wood or a few umbrellas?
My bbq is against a wall with a fence on top of wall and I got a lot of glare and I couldnt see the flame from the grill made it difficult to grill in the early afternoon say noon to 3 and it was just hot hot hot on a summer day, this is in San Diego.

All those little problems you had with the main fence/wall around the property line looks fabulous now, and the yard flows nicely!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Thx, definitely good to look past all those other problems. As for a shade plan- need to put some footings into the deck for a 4 or 6 post aluma wood cover. Currently having covers finished for the bar, bbq, cuzzi and fire pit at Main Stitch, she told me yesterday they have been doing the sail shades. So I am going to look into that as another option.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Looking great Cameron! Would love to come check it out in person one of these days.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Looking great Cameron! Would love to come check it out in person one of these days.

Miss ya bud! We gotta have ya check it out soon fo sho!

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Nice....alumawood stuff is cool definitely the way to go.

Covering the bar and bbq?

Led lights and fans in them.

I am playing the square footage game but want to cover the bar and bbq area with the aluma wood. My vision is to put the stone around the bases of the posts. Lots going on, not gonna happen at the same time of the deck work. Right now we just wanna get the deck in so we don’t have to walk in the dirt anymore [emoji23]

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
Wow Cam your backyard is coming out tight. Did you get problem promoted to battalion chief

DLC

Reaction score
Looking at your pics again I noticed your pvc piping going to the bar area.

Are you going to add water, electrical & low volt, maybe speakers, Misters and back up piping to the areas? Hill/slope, bbq & bar area, hot tub area I wanted to remind you before you brought in dirt and started to grading.

Looking great! I like the colors and texture of the stone, granite

Wmc

The Mayor
Reaction score
Looks great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Wow Cam your backyard is coming out tight. Did you get problem promoted to battalion chief

comes from me showing up to work and playing chauffer too much. not even remotely interested in a baby sitting position.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Looking at your pics again I noticed your pvc piping going to the bar area.

Are you going to add water, electrical & low volt, maybe speakers, Misters and back up piping to the areas? Hill/slope, bbq & bar area, hot tub area I wanted to remind you before you brought in dirt and started to grading.

Looking great! I like the colors and texture of the stone, granite

these are all very good suggestions! I have spun myself out trying to think ahead as we go. We did bring electrical to the cuzzi area. And we did run water for the sink and electrical to the bar and bbq area. Drains are in place all over as well (hope we can find caps when we need to).

hopefully I can get my guy back here soon and figure out the deck work, lighting and post bases/ footings for patio cover over bar.

Am I making a mistake with doing pavers for the deck? My inlaws put in a pool a few months ago down the street and we have started to think of something different.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
This is what got put in at the inlaws with the new pool a few months ago. We like it and may do something like this instead of the pavers [emoji848]

I am just a little concerned because it might look really busy against all the other stone work. So maybe just in a lighter color.

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

Albert

Reaction score
Im always amazed and impressed with the talent on this forum. No need for me to say job well done.

Singleton

Reaction score
Looking good. My wife wants to copy some of those ideas in our Carlsbad yard

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Decided to do about 900 sq feet of flagstone on the step up next, hopefully in September.

DLC

Reaction score
Looks really good ! ! I like the textures and colors

DLC

Reaction score
Who’s doing all your block work? Looks good nice and clean

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
IMG_3594.jpg

Had the original concrete patio ripped out and replaced area extending to a step up with the pavers.

IMG_3593.jpg

Picking out some flagstone next for the deck around bar and fire pit [emoji736]

Last edited:

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
IMG_3368.jpg

This is the area where flagstone will be used. Can’t wait, I think this will be the last of any more big expenses.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Fuckin looking sick Cam....love all the stonework. But where's the pool. :D;)

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Fuckin looking sick Cam....love all the stonework. But where's the pool. :D;)

thanks J! just the cuzzi, but we can drop the water temp to 60 for you. you kno - I don't wanna get thrown into my own pool.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
All the pieces of the puzzle are cut and in place. Need some mortar and grout.

IMG_4624.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

To blend it together with the house, the pilasters got some stone face veneer too.

IMG_4626.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Time for grout...

IMG_4847.jpg

I can finally reach the bar top and the bbq.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Couple more shots

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

I need to find a bull nose piece for the top of the stone veneer on the pilasters.

IMG_4854.jpg