WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What silicone to use?

Havasucat24

Reaction score
Hello fellow boaters I removed my swim steps to re-coat and what silicon do i put to bolt them back an the bolts go thru the transom to the aluminum swim steps.thanks rdp!

Motoxxxloak

Reaction score
IMG_2905.jpg

I could be wrong but I bought this to do the same thing but never used it. Where are you located I can ship it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96motorhead

Reaction score
Just clear silicone, that is what IMCO told me to use. I used clear motorcraft silicone sealant on my exhaust tip when I had to replace the flapper and it has never leaked a drop.

dajk

Reaction score
Hello fellow boaters I removed my swim steps to re-coat and what silicon do i put to bolt them back an the bolts go thru the transom to the aluminum swim steps.thanks rdp!
Sealants are like engine oil, a lot of choices and more than one will do the job. 5200 is generally used below the waterline, it's not UV resistant. Above the waterline a polysulfide such as Boatlife is very good, or Sikaflex 291. It's a combination of sealing and bedding the hardware. Apply the product, tighten 60-75% and let it sit 24 hours and then torque 100%. Silicon has it's uses, sealing/bedding hardware on a hull is not one of them.

BTW, use nitrile gloves and have some solvent on hand, it's a bit messy. :)

wzuber

Reaction score
3m 4200, avail. at marine supplies as well as home depot etc.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Do Not Use 5200 or any Adhesive Sealant period!

It's practically infuckingpossible to remove whatever part that it was applied to. And if are able to get it to break free, chances are 99.99999% positive that you've also damaged what you were trying to remove as well as the gel-coat.

For the life of me I cannot under so many people drink the 5200 kool-aid, when pure Silicone is just as effective and much more forgiving.

wzuber

Reaction score
Do Not Use 5200 or any Adhesive Sealant period!

It's practically infuckingpossible to remove whatever part that it was applied to. And if are able to get it to break free, chances are 99.99999% positive that you've also damaged what you were trying to remove as well as the gel-coat.

For the life of me I cannot under so many people drink the 5200 kool-aid, when pure Silicone is just as effective and much more forgiving.

5200 is for permanent installations only, it's right there on the label if one reads the use instructions. There are plenty of permanent installation type applications in the marine industry well beyond our little ski boats. Hi load rigging installations on sail boats, yachts, commercial boats etc. are common place for it's use.

Last edited:

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
4200 is removable without the use of a small nuclear device. It seals quite well but is somewhat serviceable.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score

5200 is amazing but like said before. I'd you try to remove it, it won't come off, but the gel coat it is attached to will! 4200 or UV4000 by 3m are good alternatives. They will last the lifetime of the boat without leaking but will reasonably detach if you ever need to take that thing off.

I also like using Life Caulk. It can be applied underwater and still seal but can make quite a mess if your not careful