WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Pilot humor. RIP Rich

Jetdriver951

Reaction score
Screenshot_20180814-185556_Facebook.jpg

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Strange deal. I'm still not sure how he got that bird started.

KENDOG689

Banned
Reaction score
Keep the key in your pocket and press the big start button.:D

mothershipper

Reaction score
Strange deal. I'm still not sure how he got that bird started.
Used to start up F/A-18a's for maintenance, thought did cross my mind once or twice about how badass would it be to take her for a spin. Then reality kicked in, I got out 20+ years ago and if I'd have acted upon that impulse, I'd still be in Levanworth. It's really easy to get it in the air if you know the airplane and it's operating systems..... landing is the tricky part.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
I wish he would have reconsidered and just tried to land it. Seems like he just wanted to have fun for a while.
Who knows, he could've parlayed that into a security vulnerabilities expert.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I wish he would have reconsidered and just tried to land it. Seems like he just wanted to have fun for a while.

He could have parlayed it into a long vacation at San Quentin is about all.... lmao

The guy i knew that parked his armored truck on the Hoover Dam bridge is looking at 10 years minimum.

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score

I'm only speculating but I think he ran outta fuel because during one conversation he reported he had "about 760 lbs" of fuel....Not enough to get to the closest airfield.

buck35

Reaction score
I'm only speculating but I think he ran outta fuel because during one conversation he reported he had "about 760 lbs" of fuel....Not enough to get to the closest airfield.

Really, what's the burn rate? He was really close to McCord or whatever it's called now. BTW, the guy at my place is out of Redmond, but had been in pdx for training.

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
Really, what's the burn rate? He was really close to McCord or whatever it's called now. BTW, the guy at my place is out of Redmond, but had been in pdx for training.

The fuel burn rate at low altitude is ashitload.

Some of the recordings between tower and Rich indicated that his fuel quantity was down to 2100 lbs (total) and at a later conversation (but not much later) rich was reporting 760 lbs (total) so, thats very little fuel onboard. The low fuel caution light(s) (much like in my car) come on when there is 305 lbs per tank so, 760 divided by 2 is NOT MUCH.

My guess is that Rich ran her outta gas and nosed her in.

I know who you are talkin bout. Yes he was in class. I wasn't his instructor that day though. Good kid.

Rob

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think it's pretty obvious that Rich wanted to go out with a Bang, and didn't have any regrets doing so. He flat ass said "I didn't really plan on landing it" and in a later transmission said he was going to "nose her in"

RD

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score

Some of the recordings between tower and Rich indicated that his fuel quantity was down to 2100 lbs (total) and at a later conversation (but not much later) rich was reporting 760 lbs (total) so, thats very little fuel onboard. The low fuel caution light(s) (much like in my car) come on when there is 305 lbs per tank so, 760 divided by 2 is NOT MUCH.

I know who you are talkin bout. Yes he was in class. I wasn't his instructor that day though. Good kid.

Rob

For everyone playing along at home, 760 lbs of fuel is about 130 gallons of Jet-A (~6 lbs per gallon). I imagine those engine use a couple of hundred gallons per hour at low altitudes, who knows what fuel flow at "full war fly it like you stole it" power settings. So 65 gallons a piece is only around 10-15 minutes of flying time at most.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
He could have parlayed it into a long vacation at San Quentin is about all.... lmao

The guy i knew that parked his armored truck on the Hoover Dam bridge is looking at 10 years minimum.

Naaaa, just a cushy federal prison...no biggie. LOL

buck35

Reaction score

Rob

And he and his brother played great music for the evening, it was fun and interesting to talk with him. Cheers !

72Hondo

Reaction score
And he and his brother played great music for the evening, it was fun and interesting to talk with him. Cheers !

I actually used a reference from this incident today at our airline.

“It took 8 mins for the F-15’s to get airborne from the call. And it takes us 35 mins because he can’t find his fuc*in head set...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
The meme’s popping up are hilarious :p:p:D:D:D

Andy01

Reaction score
Thank you for the link, I bought one!! I think it's cool what he did, no not stealing a plane, or breaking the law. The guy had issues and had one goal standing in his way of meeting his maker. He under his own control was able to accomplish that on his way out. He probably died happy as can be.

I do have one question? Did he talk to atis, and ground? or just take the active?

cofooter

Reaction score
Coool, if ya wanna out yourself, thats the way to do it, no innocents impacted, go big or go home!!!!!

Kailuaboy89

Aloha Airliner
Reaction score
Thank you for the link, I bought one!! I think it's cool what he did, no not stealing a plane, or breaking the law. The guy had issues and had one goal standing in his way of meeting his maker. He under his own control was able to accomplish that on his way out. He probably died happy as can be.

I do have one question? Did he talk to atis, and ground? or just take the active?
I feel like an ass...….but I bought one too....I wanted to get it before they pulled em from the store, which I feel might happen....:p

Q4mtxUS

Reaction score
The aircraft, 449QX, was ferried from Canada with a translating door discrepancy and parked at the north cargo ramp which is at the departure end of one zero left, center & right. Maintenace team went to lunch. Rich started the aircraft, drove out of the north cargo ramp to the center runway and took off. As Rich was qualed to tow aircraft, he only new of one frequency which was the ground freq. It is not really necessary to get the temp, dew point and barometric pressure and other stinkin' ATIS information when you "Bebo" someones aircraft.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Looks like the link to the shirts is no longer working. :(