WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Been a bizarre and shitty day as my original photo thread turned into a Bimini Strap vs Pole Thread.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hitting the lake with the family for a few hours before the shit show starts.

Pics coming! :D

RD

BUSTI

Reaction score
you'd better hurry, I'm sure a lot of the shit show is there already.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
CD192B10-C311-4EA1-9C31-AD5E6BCBB256.jpeg
8E42430B-C224-4DEB-AFF5-B286F00591C5.jpeg
you'd better hurry, I'm sure a lot of the shit show is there already.

Not too crowded yet?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I can hardly believe you of all people have those cheese ball straps on your bimini. I know damn well you know better.

Get rid of those before someone gets hurt!!!

:eek:

Oh and have fun tonight. One of the best things in life is watching the sun set out on the water. I'm jealous!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I can hardly believe you of all people have those cheese ball straps on your bimini. I know damn well you know better.

Oh and have fun tonight. One of the best things in life is watching the sun set out on the water. I'm jealous!

Cheese ball straps?

It’s the normal Bimini straps that most boats have? Or are you suggesting switching everything out to stainless poles? (Pros and cons to each)

Anyone remember this Shockwave?

ACA727E6-4E24-4282-A0DE-0A82843075FE.jpeg
F1CBFF51-7300-4E1F-8194-1C68997087A7.jpeg

Last edited:

hallett21

Reaction score

Has anyone actually experienced the straps failing? Looking for first hand experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
My phone is apparently having internet issues.. lol. So I’ll take some pics and upload them tonight when I get home.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
Are you trying to find the owner of that shockwave? Did you notice if it had twins or a single engine?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Has anyone actually experienced the straps failing? Looking for first hand experience

Nope, in all my years all i have ever seen fail is one of the bent wire hooks, you want the cast stainless or brass ones, not the ones that are made of bent wire, they can peel open. Think about how much tension you can put on a 1" tie down.... those straps are strong AF for the job they do. Now if you leave your shit outside rotting in the sun.... well don't go blaming the strap on that.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score

What’s wrong with the straps. Been using them for 20 years.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score

the straps? no. the clips? Yup had a few of those little guys break.

Dmangus

Reaction score
Never had an issue with my straps.
What is with the shockwave?

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score

About 5 years ago my buddies ex wife was sitting in the back of a boat hauling ass the straps broke, Bimini came down and broke both her arms.
A couple weeks ago a buddy at the river took his new ultra 21 deck boat out really fast new Bimini strap broke and fucked his new boat all up. When my Bimini is up & family in the boat I go no faster than 40mph.

236eagledave

Reaction score

I have. At about 50 mph front straps failed. Fortunately the Bimini cleared the head of the backseat passenger. The mounts held and it slammed into the engine hatch. I am much more attentive to strap condition and maintenance now.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
the straps? no. the clips? Yup had a few of those little guys break.

I use the straps but didnt have hooks installed, I just slip the loops at then ends over my cleats, saves another bunch of holes in the boat, and those little hooks always scratch up the gel over time.

thedan

Reaction score
Seen them break twice. Scary. I went to Sport Chalet (before they buckled) and made my own out of mountain climbing straps. They are flattened tubes of fiber (black) and were rated at 2000 lbs. or something ridiculous like that. Felt safe with them afterwards. I’m sure REI has the materials.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
For those stuck on the bimini strap thing.. don’t drive fast with the Bimini up. Problem solved? Lol

I don’t go over 35 with it up.. never had a problem. I’m also conscious of what’s going on when driving.. if you drive into a 30 mph head wind now the Bimini is doing 65.. so either slow down or take it down kinda deal.

Poles have their place but I wouldn’t want them on this setup.. it would be a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
So need I say more about those POS straps?? lol

Replace em with stainless poles and you can drive however you want. Yes I've seen em break, that's why I'll never use em. My family and friends are far more important to me than a couple of dollar bills.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Yup several times on others boats and once on my own.
Each time dodged a bullet when they failed.
In a full boat someone would have been hit- and hurt.

Sometime its isnt excessive speed but a vibration harmonic that buzzes the strap and in doing so - opens up the end.

I went full struts- yeah kind of a pain, but solid.

UD

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Having poles is more work to put up but certainly makes you feel more confident.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yup several times on others boats and once on my own.
Each time dodged a bullet when they failed.
In a full boat someone would have been hit- and hurt.

Sometime its isnt excessive speed but a vibration harmonic that buzzes the strap and in doing so - opens up the end.

I went full struts- yeah kind of a pain, but solid.

UD
Always, always put at least a half twist in the straps. It stops the buzzing for one and engineering wise it helps to keep it more straight.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Did I miss the pictures of the shit show?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

I had one fail. No one was injured. It was a crappy strap and hook.

Replaced all 4 straps and hooks.

If you use forged hooks and eyes, and make sure they are tight, it is pretty low risk on a boat that goes less than 65-70. As long as the hook holds, if the strap breaks at worst you’d have a minor cut. Sunglasses would protect your eyes.

Most poles can fail just as easily.. rivets break, set screws loosen.

All that stuff, especially the straps are wear items and should be inspected and replaced occasionally.

Last edited:

steak&lobster

aka rclvlhc
Reaction score
I had one fail. No one was injured. It was a crappy strap and hook.

Replaced all 4 straps and hooks.

If you use forged hooks and eyes, and make sure they are tight, it is pretty low risk on a boat that goes less than 65-70. As long as the hook holds, if the strap breaks at worst you’d have a minor cut. Sunglasses would protect your eyes.

Most poles can fail just as easily.. rivets break, set screws loosen.

All that stuff, especially the straps are wear items and should be inspected and replaced occasionally.
I have a brand new bimini with straps by Seam Dreams, and I have run 75 with the bimini up. No issues.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I had straps inbbthe front poles in the back, problem solved

redone76

Reaction score
Unless every fitting is spot welded its no better IMO.

No shit. Mine are crimped and I had one come apart going up river in Parker. Hit a gust of wind and boom stainless tube comes swinging at my wife. Thank god she was on her game. Caught that sumbitch and put the Bimini away

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Apparently I am the only one here who NEVER runs the bimini over 30MPH?

I usually only put it up when stopped and floating. Then I take it down, because I am always running, you never know when it's time to punch it!

I usually leave it at home lol.

nrbr

Reaction score
Fuck straps. Tig welded poles on the spectra I like to boat hard with the bimini up

Reactions: t&y

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Apparently I am the only one here who NEVER runs the bimini over 30MPH?

I usually only put it up when stopped and floating. Then I take it down, because I am always running, you never know when it's time to punch it!

I usually leave it at home lol.
As a general rule I don’t run with the Bimini up either, but you know how it is “I’m just going to put over this other Cove” And the next thing you know you’re hauling ass with the Bimini top up. Fortunately for me my boat is slow:( And most of the time I take the pontoon out anyway.:cool: