WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Tri Tip barbeque recipes anyone?

havasujeeper

Reaction score
I am hosting a party on Friday for 12 persons. I have a hankering for a great tri tip, so I thought I'd ask the experts here on how to make a few killer tri tips, using a conventional BBQ. I'll be going down to Hottinger's to pick up the meat, so now I'm just lacking the recipe. Any help from my brothers or sisters out there? I'm assuming 6 pounds should be about right?

72Hondo

Reaction score
No expert here by any means. Did this last night,

3lbs, cover in olive oil, salt and pepper only (don’t be afraid to season). In the smoker for almost 2 hours with hickory about 230. Pull wrap in foil with rosemary and butter for 20 mins.

It’s hard to put a time on any piece of meat. Look and feel, as I’ve come to learn. All depends how you like it.

IMG_0845.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Weber brand hamburger seasoning. Pat it down thick and let it sit in the fridge for 8 hrs in a zip lock. The moisture from the steak absorbs the flavor of the seasoning and with a nice sear, it basically gives the steak a hamburger flavor. Hard to screw that up and no marinating or smoking required. BOOM!

kevnmcd

Reaction score
Did a Tri Tip last night. I rub it down with McCormicks Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning. Seer 5 minutes fat side down and 40 minutes fat side up. Take it off and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Turns out perfect.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I am hosting a party on Friday for 12 persons. I have a hankering for a great tri tip, so I thought I'd ask the experts here on how to make a few killer tri tips, using a conventional BBQ. I'll be going down to Hottinger's to pick up the meat, so now I'm just lacking the recipe. Any help from my brothers or sisters out there? I'm assuming 6 pounds should be about right?

Hottingers will marinade it for you if you ask! Their Santa María tri has never let us down.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Yeah, I called them yesterday and they said they always have marinated tri tips on hand.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Rub with yellow mustard.
Garlic powder,
Onion powder,
Cumin,
Fresh cracked pepper,
And just a bit of chipotle or cayenne pepper.
Leave the salt on the table.
Red Oak for wood, or mix of Oak and Mesquite. (Tinfoil and wood chips work good for a gas grill).

A pair of 3 pounders will cook quicker than (1) 6 pounder.

Sear all sides, then transfer to cool side till 130° or so.

Let rest, slice, serve, enjoy.

Dan'l

Xring01

Reaction score
FD0418F8-909D-4146-B935-52745DDE9FCD.jpeg
767565C2-ED12-4709-BA87-3EAA233A555C.jpeg
F766B35F-7FE3-4637-9003-24D66C4F1990.jpeg
F766B35F-7FE3-4637-9003-24D66C4F1990.jpeg

I am a purist..

Tri Tips are best (IN MY OPINION), when they are cooked over wood/charcoal....
Search craigslist... go buy a used Weber 22 grill... most people ask $50, will take $25...

One of my favorite recipes:
Trim it, Get a fork and stab the shit out of it all over to tenderize it....
Marinade it over night.. with your favorite marinade... I will list stuff later..
About an hour before you gonna cook it, pull it out of the fridge..

Start setting up your Weber...
This time you will put about half a chimney of lit coals on one side of the Weber Grill, with 2-3 chunks of wood. (Mesquite/Pecan/Oak/Hickory/Apple/etc)...

Put the lid, Adjust the lower air intake vent to about 20% open, and the upper vent to 20% open.. This should heat is up to 250 degrees in a few minutes...

While the Weber is coming up to temp, pull the tri tip out of the marinade...
give it a very light coat of oil (makes you seasoning stick), season it the way you like...

Once the Grill is in that 250 range, put the tri tip on the oposite side of the coals... This is called indirect cooking... for this recipe.. at this point, we want low heat but lots of smoke, to give that Tri Tip that flavor... If you have a temp probe, cook it until the center of the tri tip gets to about 115-120 degrees...

At this point, open the vents on the Weber, stoke the coals, let the get 350-500degrees... Put the trip tip on top of the coals for a "Reverse Sear".... Pull it at the temp you like 125 for rare, 135 med etc.... Its done

I would guessimate that from the moment I put the meat on the grill, till its done is 40-50 minutes total... pending the size of the tri tip. Meaning 30ish minutes for smoking and coming up to temp, and 10-15 (5-7minutes/side) for reverse sear...

Thats the way I cook Tri Tip... see how juicy it is, smoke ring... UMMM GOOD.

I will post Marinades/Seasonings later, when I have more time.

Last edited:

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 681949 View attachment 681950 View attachment 681945 View attachment 681945

I am a purist..

Tri Tips are best (IN MY OPINION), when they are cooked over wood/charcoal....
Search craigslist... go buy a used Weber 22 grill... most people ask $50, will take $25...

One of my favorite recipes:
Trim it, Get a fork and stab the shit out of it all over to tenderize it....
Marinade it over night.. with your favorite marinade... I will list stuff later..
About an hour before you gonna cook it, pull it out of the fridge..

Start setting up your Weber...
This time you will put about half a chimney of lit coals on one side of the Weber Grill, with 2-3 chunks of wood. (Mesquite/Pecan/Oak/Hickory/Apple/etc)...

Put the lid, Adjust the lower air intake vent to about 20% open, and the upper vent to 20% open.. This should heat is up to 250 degrees in a few minutes...

While the Weber is coming up to temp, pull the tri tip out of the marinade...
give it a very light coat of oil (makes you seasoning stick), season it the way you like...

Once the Grill is in that 250 range, put the tri tip on the oposite side of the coals... This is called indirect cooking... for this recipe.. at this point, we want low heat but lots of smoke, to give that Tri Tip that flavor... If you have a temp probe, cook it until the center of the tri tip gets to about 115-120 degrees...

At this point, open the vents on the Weber, stoke the coals, let the get 350-500degrees... Put the trip tip on top of the coals for a "Reverse Sear".... Pull it at the temp you like 125 for rare, 135 med etc.... Its done

Thats the way I cook Tri Tip... see how juicy it is, smoke ring... UMMM GOOD.

I will post Marinades/Seasonings later, when I have more time.
I stopped reading after you suggested to tenderize it lol

Xring01

Reaction score
I stopped reading after you suggested to tenderize it lol

Well lets see some pics of your latest Tri Tip... Just joking...

Poking it also, allows holes for the marinade to get into...

Or you could inject it.... for me its just easier to poke it with a fork.

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
Did a Tri Tip last night. I rub it down with McCormicks Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning. Seer 5 minutes fat side down and 40 minutes fat side up. Take it off and let stand for 5-10 minutes. Turns out perfect.
I used to use the Montreal seasoning religiously, but was out of it one day and threw some hamburger seasoning on instead. Huge taste difference.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Well lets see some pics of your latest Tri Tip... Just joking...

Poking it also, allows holes for the marinade to get into...

Or you could inject it.... for me its just easier to poke it with a fork.
I don't inject. I prefer my Tris med rare and injecting them leaves unsightly discoloration and tracks in the cut. Tritips are one of the few meats where keeping it simple goes a long way.
IMG_20180911_101510.jpeg

Xring01

Reaction score
I don't inject. I prefer my Tris med rare and injecting them leaves unsightly discoloration and tracks in the cut. Tritips are one of the few meats where keeping it simple goes a long way. View attachment 682004

Nice, Backing that talk up with proof... ;)

The important part of the entire equation, is making your family and friends happy.
If they are happy, mission accomplished..

One of the reason why I dont post to many details of the spices that I make for myself..
Is salt... I dont use much salt at all.. Because (IMHO) salt is a very powerful flavor that can easily mask the garlic, onion, cumin etc etc etc.. of what ever you like... its the dominating flavor..

I prefer a more balanced flavor, where there is a hint of salt, but also all the other flavors are balanced..

Some people love salt though.. I cant say they are wrong.. which is why I dont share many details on the ratios of the seasonings that I use.

kevnmcd

Reaction score
I used to use the Montreal seasoning religiously, but was out of it one day and threw some hamburger seasoning on instead. Huge taste difference.
I will have to try that. What brand do you use?

Xring01

Reaction score
Weber makes some good spices.... including a Hamburger, Chicken etc etc etc...
My Lowes has all of them in stock.. in the BBQ Section

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I rub mine with Montreal and mesquite seasoning. Quick sear and in the smoker for a hour and 45 mins. Or a lil less.. Foil it and toss in a cooler for 20 mins to.rest. i slice mine in a cheap aluminum throw away pan so keep all the juices. Slice it and let the slices marinate in its juices. I usually make sandwiches with them. 2 will feed a army. Get some club/hoagie rolls ..slice tomatoes.. Whip up some chipotle mayo and chow down. So good!!!

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Rub it liberally with spicy Montreal steak seasoning then put it in ziplock bag with half a bottle of Soy Vay garlic hoisan sauce. Let it marinate for at least 6 hours. Put it on the grill on high for 1 minute intervals flipping it every minute to sear it then move the meat away from the heat. If you have a propane BBQ turn a couple of the burners off. Pour some of the sauce from the bag on one side of the meat and cook it for 5 minute intervals, flip it over and pour some of the bag sauce on the other side. Flip it every 5 minutes until the temp comes up to 125 degrees. Pull it off put it on a plate or pan and cover it with foil for 10 minutes. Uncover it and slice it thin perpendicularly to the grain on a diagonal angle.

Cut up the leftovers into little pieces and use it for quesadillas with pepper jack cheese.

havasujeeper

Reaction score
Well, it turned out great. Hot grill with 10 minutes a side, then wrapped for 20 minutes on cooler side of the BBQ.
20180914_190800.jpg

warlock250

Reaction score
I like to use the oil less deep fryer. It cooks with infrared . Takes about 45 minutes to fry it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DLC

Reaction score
This is just an FYI

But if your in Carlsbad, ca. they have this thing called CRACK, Carlsbad Crack.... my neighbor swears by it and have had several friends that says it’s heaven.... or close to it...

I have NOT grilled, Smoked, or tried it or tasted it but everyone says it’s good stuff. Ive been wanting to check it out but I’m a bit slow....
ok really slow, like hit me over the head slow....

They have a store called the CRACK SHACK......

DLC

Reaction score
Link

crackshack.com

Hope it works, if not google it....

sintax

Reaction score
I post the same thing in every tri-tip post....

Prep:
Get a good cut, trim all hard fat, and almost all of the soft fat off
Season very liberally only with Santa Maria seasoning (contains all necessary stuff)

Cooking:
red oak wood is ideal, but if you cant find that use another wood or coal
if you dont have a Santa Maria grill, you can just use a direct and indirect zone
sear both sides, build up the nice crispiness and grill marks, then raise grill up or move to indirect zone.
Pull around 122-125* IT

Post-cook:
Let site for 10-15 min
Cut against the grain in 1/4" - 1/3" slices. **note that this cut changes direction 1/3 through the piece. **

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Late to the party but I will add mine:

I use three methods.

Method one is simple picking up tri-tips from Major Market in Escondido. Similar to Carlsbad Crack. The Bordalaise is the good one:
Meat-1.jpg

Method two consists of Stater Bros tri-tip a simple Rub of Salt, Pepper, brown sugar and Cayenne pepper.

I make a red wine based marinade. I typically go for inexpensive wine for the marinade. Mad Duck is a $10 zin that will actually pair well with the steak and is extremely drinkable for the price point if you decide to give a little to the steak and a little to your glass.
8800694075422.png

I use Avocado Oil for the base mix 4 to 1 with the wine. I go a little heavy on the oil due to the acid in the veggies. Add fresh minced garlic, finely chopped Onion and I like to throw a couple of orange bell peppers in there cut into 1/4's. Let sit overnight.

The Third method is if I am short on time and can't prepare the marinade from scratch. I will use Stubbs Texas Steakhouse.
texas-steakhouse-marinade.png

In all recipes I do not trim the fat off. I want as much fat on the top as possible. No poking or prodding I don't want to give the juices a place to escape.

I use one of these to marinate the meat in.
41paQK7qZPL.jpg

Always allow to get back to room temp before putting on the grill. Sitting in the marinade usually takes about an hour.

I have a big webber summit gas grill but I use a couple of smoking boxes when I cook like the one below. I typically use Mesquite or Hickory wood chips. My wife doesn't like the heavy smoked flavor and I feel like these are a pretty good compromise.
077924011207.jpg

My grill obviously not tri-tip but for illustration purposes
upload_2018-9-19_14-24-25.png

Cooking method is sear both sides for a couple of minutes and then shut off the middle burners and put them up on the top rack fat side up letting the fat pull through the meat. My grill is a six burner so the outside burners stay on medium with the smoking boxes directly over the flame. With the middle burners off I can maintain a temp of about 225 but I'm pretty sure my bbq temp gauge is off. I will leave the lid closed unless it is getting too hot but every time I do open it I am pouring marinade over the top. I cook them for about 1.25 - 1.5 hours depending on the size (I usually get bigger ones) once the thermometer says 120-125 they come off. I typically can tell just by looking at them. Pull em off the grill and tent for 10-15 minutes.

upload_2018-9-19_14-14-8.png

I found this pic on my phone but couldn't find one cut so I will take a pic next time. When I do cut them the cutting board is usually covered in juice and that gets added back on the top on the serving plate.

I usually will do grilled asparagus with these super easy to throw on the grill at the end while the meats resting. Avocado oil and garlic salt on the grill for about 10 minutes.

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-19_14-13-59.png
    upload_2018-9-19_14-13-59.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 160