WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Haven't been around much lately ... when life hands you lemons,

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I grew up in what I believe to be the "Garden Spot" of So Cal.. Carlbad / La Costa area. The time I grew up there we could ride motorcycles right out of the garage and for miles and miles all the way around rolling hills. There was a ranch below our house with horses that I'd watch from my back yard in the mornings. We were near the beach and my past time was boogie boarding in the mornings and on the weekends if we weren't riding or heading to Parker. I grew up there, and it was all that I knew, and to tell you the truth in my limited travels all that I wanted to know.

Later in life I moved to Santa Barbara to go to school.. I found the weather to be cold, but the scenery to be pretty similar to Carlsbad. With the exception of the chicks.. Holy shit, that place is loaded with tail. That was the first time I had spent time with more people from Nor Cal (for some reason a lot of Nor Cal kids go down to SBCC). I found their culture to be different, but quite enjoyable.. 95% of them smoked weed, or grew weed, or could get you QP's or Pounds of weed at good prices.. LOL It's literally engrained in the region I guess. They gave me a whole different perspective on life, and how people from the same state could be so different yet still the same.

I moved back home to Carlsbad for a bit, and then left to go to Ontario to become a Mold maker. (I'll save the back story on that). I ended up living in a hotel for two weeks while I was looking for an apartment. That was probably the second scariest time of my life. I didn't know anyone. The town was considerably "rougher" than any place I had lived before, and the job was gruelling. I remember getting my apartment, and not having any furniture, and literally sleeping on a mattress on the floor. It was flat out fucking depressing. I made some friends in a pool hall, and six months later we all rented a house together. That was some of the best times I have ever had in my life. 3.5 to the River, great friends, gambling non stop.. Parties every Friday / Saturday Night. Doing work I was extremely proud of during the day (even if it didn't pay for shit). To look back on it though, it was a scary & depressing situation that at some point turned into something that I look back on fondly.

Later I moved to Irvine to work for TBulger. Again a new place / new town, this time it wasn't that scary. The company was very tight knit, and everyone pretty much hung out with everyone after work. It was also a good time for the years that I lived there. Hanging out with his son Brad and then going up to visit Tom and Marie in Big Bear and the Ranch were really the crowning points for me though.

Moved Back to Carlsbad to help the family with my brother, and honestly it was a mistake on my part. I wasted several of the most earning potential years of my life in that era.. I loved seeing my parents on the daily, but now that I'm older I really wish I woulda used that time to go blaze a different trail in life.

At some point in that period Stacy and I got together and Matt, her and I got an apartment together. Later we moved and got a duplex. Both right in the vicinity of my parents. My father passed away, and I didn't want my mom to be alone so Stacy literally moved into their casita the day he passed. I closed up the Duplex over the next month or two and we stayed there for quite awhile.

Fast forward we are living in this little tiny 500 sq ft deal with two dogs, and now a baby.. OFuckhead (Obama) just decreed that it was time to decrease military spending, and my business went completely flat. I'm looking at this program and wondering "What in the Fuck?" I'm living in this little tiny place with a baby / two dogs / etc.. and now I basically don't even have a job.. Actually quite the opposite the overhead of the shop was fucking crazy.

I told Stacy we are moving to the Parker house just to get some breathing room, and try to figure shit out until I can determine what to do. We went there and looked for some toybarns to put my machines in and came up basically blank. In the 3-4 weeks we were there Stacy flat ass said she isn't going to live here full time. We went to Havasu and looked at houses and she said she would rather be up here.

We bought a house we clearly couldn't afford.. She was staying in Carlsbad with the baby, and I was running loads back and forth on my car hauler and dropping them off in the garage. Even though I owned RDP at the time I honestly didn't know anybody in Havasu.. Most of my friends are weekenders in Parker. I'll never forget it, I had WTMFA (White Trash Mother Fucking Asshole), and I think Paul aka "Paul the Havasu Lurker" help me unloading these things. We'd get it all off the trailer, and I'd spend a day or so trying to organize, and then run back for another load.

It was November, and I was dropping another load off, and I was by myself.. WTMFA was busy, and I was trying to move something heavy off the trailer into the garage. The wind was fucking ripping (I didn't even know what wind was until I moved here) and it was cold as fuck. I was sitting here with the garage open yanking on whatever the hell it was, and all of a sudden I just stopped. I just sat there and thought

"I made a mistake.."

Not the "oh I fucked up and got off on the wrong off ramp kinda mistake.. Like the "I think I just fucked up my whole life kinda mistake. I'm out here in the middle of fucking nowhere.. I'm 200+ miles from my now widow'd mom. I have no job, my only income is RDP.. Which at the time brought in a cool I think 700 bucks a month? (Maybe it was 1200.. I can't remember). I have no clue where I'm going, what I'm doing, or how I'm going to afford this god damn house. The fucking wind... Jesus is it like this all the time up here? I have never even seen wind like this anywhere.. I finally got the trailer unloaded and out of the garage, and I was sitting on a half stacked pallet just pondering What in the holy hell have I done.

I called Stacy and said "Babe I think we made a mistake.." and Stacy in her (per usual) loving and comforting way of handling things said "Well it's too late now." LOL So I came home the next day and got more trailer loads.

I'll tell you Hank, moving to a new place is Scary.. Sometimes it sucks leaving everything behind. At that point in my life I thought I fucked it all. The wind is blowing right now about like it was that night.. And my garage doors are rattling and it's bowing just like it did that night. I think people on here think that when I moved to LHC, it was all just easy money / fast boats and beers. LOL

I was borrowing money off anybody that would lend it to me back then.. And every month I'd scrape just enough to give it back to them, and then I'd have to borrow it from someone else. I'm not sure how many of you guys remember "little Brian" that worked for me for years.. When I moved here I had to borrow 700.00 off of him one month to pay the mortgage, and $$ from several other boat flippers in town.

It took me a little bit, but between doing side machine work, and running the absolute fuck out of this website I got the income up enough where we could survive. Stacy was working Insurance for Devin and that carried us quite a ways as well. But with a new baby, and the bills, and the baby stuff (as I'm sure you know) it was some of the hardest times of my life. Which is ironic, because again most people on here assume it was the best..

The wind is ripping right now, and my garage doors are rattling as I sit here and type this, and it reminds me of that particular night where I thought I had screwed the pooch, and was honestly ready to just throw my hands up in the air and give up.

I look back on that night, and the struggle that ensued, and now I just laugh.. I thank god I have an amazing wife, whom is always at her best when our life is at it's worst. The point of the post though Hank is to say, I've jumped into that abyss a couple of times, and both times it turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm not sure if Houston is going to be right for you or not, but it's like anything in life.. You get out what you put in, and I think if you give it a fair shake, you are going to like it better than Cali.

I'm wishing you the best on your adventure.

RD

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Not surprised they have asked you to go with the the company.Seems you never hesitate to step up when they need you.Consider this move a high complement Hank.You earned it

RiverDiva

"Team RDP"
Reaction score
Been super busy with work as it is our busy time getting the tanks ready for the summer grade fuel.

About 2 months ago, a mandatory employee meeting was announced. As the 2 floors gathered in one of the main conference rooms, the director proceeded to give us the news that we have been expecting for the last 20 years but never thought would happen.

The lease for the building we are currently in wouldn't be renewed and they were moving the Orange offices to Houston where the main headquarters are located.

About a year from now (give or take), I'll be moving to the Houston area. I was pretty pissed and bummed at first, but I have since tried to look at the positives of this life changing move.

As with pretty much everything in life, there are pluses and minuses. My salary won't change, so we'll be in a much better financial situation. It's not like we are hurting here in California, but my wife definitely won't have to go back to work in Texas if she desires not to (although she said she would, or else she'd probably turn into a wino:p)

The company will pay for everything as far as selling my house and paying the closing costs, moving company, etc ... and will give me a percentage of my salary as an incentive. For this package to be effective, I only need to live in Houston for one year ... after that, I am free to relocate, transfer, find another job, whatever.

Although I'm not really looking forward to the ball-dragging humidity, it'll be nice to get out of this fucked up state. I've lived here my whole life, but I have been seeing how this place has been going into the shitter over the last X amount of years.

Every time I think about leaving our friends it does bum me out, but such is life and traveling back out here will be easy for a quick weekend trip for beers.

That being said -- When life hands you lemons, make a cocktail.

See you fuckers at Desert Storm.

Cheers

Congrats Hank! Looks like we have somewhere to stay for the Texas Outlaw Challenge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatnam2

Reaction score
Same money in Texas you make now you will be living large, just a matter of if you like the place or not. Had many people I know get moved to Texas in the petro biz and most loved it, good luck on the new adventure, as we like to say in shipping has biz, keep it in the pipe!

Reaction score
20 years ago I moved to Memphis, and after 14 months, I was back in Arizona.

The last hurricane wiped out a lot of real estate and jobs in Houston. Learn the market.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
So I thought I'd update this thread.

I'm still going to Houston ... but the time of departure has changed.

I wasn't due to go until April 2019 ... but after reviewing all kinds of things with my wife, I made the decision to make the move much sooner ... in early October of this year to be exact. At least, that is what I'm shooting for.

The process has started with the relocation company ... and I'm sure I'll have Carpel Tunnel due to all the papers I'll be signing lol. The decision was difficult, but why prolong the inevitable?

My wife and kids will be staying behind ... at least until the kids are out of school in July'ish 2019. In no way shape or form would I yank the kids out of school midyear ... so they'll be staying at her parents house, which is only 5 miles down the road.

I'll be honest and say that Houston isn't on my top 25 of places to move to ... but I do think the pros will outweigh the cons. My attitude is to go with an open mind, do my required one year, then reassess my situation.

I plan to rent for the first year ... primarily because I have no idea where the good areas are (I have been doing my research), but also because I don't want to have to settle on buying a house just because I'm running out of time. I figure on the weekends that I don't fly back ... I'll take the time to drive around and look at areas. I don't want to live in a shitty part of town.

Another reason why I'll rent is because if I buy and hate living there, then I'll have to deal with selling a house again. I'd have to make my down payment, and whatever the closing costs would be ... only to break even. During the first year, I'll be able to take my time looking for the right home.

I'll update this thread as time goes on and when new updates are available.

Singleton

Reaction score
Houston in the good areas is nice. I had a Corp apartment out by the Galleria for a year when I had to work in that city Wed and Thurs each week for a year. Was living at the St Regis around that part of town, but wanted something more permenant and moved to a Corp appt

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score

I wasn't due to go until April 2019 ... but after reviewing all kinds of things with my wife, I made the decision to make the move much sooner ... in early October of this year to be exact. At least, that is what I'm shooting for.

The process has started with the relocation company ... and I'm sure I'll have Carpel Tunnel due to all the papers I'll be signing lol. The decision was difficult, but why prolong the inevitable?

My wife and kids will be staying behind ... at least until the kids are out of school in July'ish 2019. In no way shape or form would I yank the kids out of school midyear ... so they'll be staying at her parents house, which is only 5 miles down the road.

I'll be honest and say that Houston isn't on my top 25 of places to move to ... but I do think the pros will outweigh the cons. My attitude is to go with an open mind, do my required one year, then reassess my situation.

I plan to rent for the first year ... primarily because I have no idea where the good areas are (I have been doing my research), but also because I don't want to have to settle on buying a house just because I'm running out of time. I figure on the weekends that I don't fly back ... I'll take the time to drive around and look at areas. I don't want to live in a shitty part of town.

Another reason why I'll rent is because if I buy and hate living there, then I'll have to deal with selling a house again. I'd have to make my down payment, and whatever the closing costs would be ... only to break even. During the first year, I'll be able to take my time looking for the right home.

Leasing a home is the best way to do it. You can then find the areas that work best, beat the traffic, schools, and safer neighborhoods.

Houston has been adding better roads that help with travel. Beltway 8 and the newer outer Grand Parkway make commutes from better/newer suburbs much easier. The tolls are not the bad and time saved is worth the cost.

I assume being a petrochem job, you'll be somewhere on the east side in the ship channel area. The toll roads give easy access so you can live on the north side without much hassle as in the past. Clear Lake area has great schools and waterfront/canal homes are great. Get used to saltwater as Lake Conroe is the closest decent freshwater lake. Lots of centerconsole deals which are the thing for the bays and close offshore.

RE is booming in most areas and good choices abound.

I know the area well as I've lived here 40 years minus h a 6 year leave to GA. Just retired from an industrial sales job that had me on the roads so I know traffic flow which is a big deal.

Welcome to Texas

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

Hank. Good friends of ours live outside of Houston and have been there since 2013. He used to manage a big mall downtown.

If you need someone to talk to, I can text you Henry's number and hook you guys up. Just let me know.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I look on Zillow and see a lot of pretty affordable places. It will be an adventure, and it doesn't have to be forever if you don't like it. Pronstar sure seems to like Dallas...

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Leasing a home is the best way to do it. You can then find the areas that work best, beat the traffic, schools, and safer neighborhoods.

Houston has been adding better roads that help with travel. Beltway 8 and the newer outer Grand Parkway make commutes from better/newer suburbs much easier. The tolls are not the bad and time saved is worth the cost.

I assume being a petrochem job, you'll be somewhere on the east side in the ship channel area. The toll roads give easy access so you can live on the north side without much hassle as in the past. Clear Lake area has great schools and waterfront/canal homes are great. Get used to saltwater as Lake Conroe is the closest decent freshwater lake. Lots of centerconsole deals which are the thing for the bays and close offshore.

RE is booming in most areas and good choices abound.

I know the area well as I've lived here 40 years minus h a 6 year leave to GA. Just retired from an industrial sales job that had me on the roads so I know traffic flow which is a big deal.

Welcome to Texas

I'll actually be working downtown. I've been looking at Spring (for Klein school district) and also out towards Crosby for potential buying areas.

I enjoyed the Lake Conroe area, but that might be a tad too far for a daily commute.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Sounds like like you have a solid plan. Leaving the family behind will be tough. That’s the part that bothered me about traveling for work. Good luck, as long as everyone is on the same page it shouldn’t be too hard

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I'll actually be working downtown. I've been looking at Spring (for Klein school district) and also out towards Crosby for potential buying areas.

I enjoyed the Lake Conroe area, but that might be a tad too far for a daily commute.
Spring is a good area. Woodlands/Conroe commutes offer the Hardy to avoid I45.

I live in Brazoria county which is south and we enter the city through the Sugarland and Pearland areas.

It all comes to taking the time to understand the area and find the right spot with the most positives. And research the recent Harvey floods and the several events prior. Growth has had great effects on drainage.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
This seems to be happening more and more with corporations leaving Kommiefornia. Friend who works for Nissan lost his job when they left a few years back. Another friend who works for Yamaha is moving to Georgia next year. Good Luck in Houston. I haven’t been there except for a few layovers at the airport but some of the oceanfront properties their look amazing. Just not sure I would want to be their during a hurricane, lol. Enjoy the adventure. Sometimes it’s good for the soul to leave your comfort zone!

bobbytheboozer

resident boozer
Reaction score
We need to hang out as much as possible buddy. October will be here quick.

shunter2005

Reaction score

You might also look NW toward Cypress, from Beltway 8 outbound. The Cy-Fair schools are good. They are in the somewhat final stages of the Hwy 290 expansion and should make the traffic a "little" better heading into downtown. Lots of nice subdivisions out that way. Cole's Crossing and Black Horse to name a couple. The commute to downtown depending on time of day will be an hr or so most days. May be less with the expanded freeway. Best part is, you will be an hour closer to the Hill Country lakes above Austin. You can also look at the Katy area, Cinco Ranch. I10 and 99 area. Good schools and lots of activity there. South of downtown is Pearland. Lots and lots of folks are moving there. Don't know, but they say good schools and not that far from downtown or Galveston Bay. Kemah area has some good seafood places.

MAIN THING --Wherever you even think about moving, you need to see how that area fared during Hurricane Harvey. Many areas that never flooded before got wet in 17'. If you move north (Spring), NW (Cypress), South (Pearland) or anywhere else, especially near downtown, find what areas stayed dry during Harvey. Harvey was an epic storm with over 50" of rain in a very short period of time, but it's still a good barometer of where to look. We have storms roll thru that dump 15"-20" at a time.

When we bought our current home, 14 years ago, we looked at several different subdivisions that we thought we might like. Everyone of the them flooded during Harvey, except where we bought. We were lucky. Not trying to discourage you, but you have to do your homework before you buy a home here.

By the way, I live NW near Beltway 8 and Hwy 290 and I keep my boat at Lake Conroe. About 45 min. drive from the house. Nice place with our own private ramp. Lake isn't all that large, but you can cruise around and beach at the dam or the island for a swim. If you need a place up there to keep your boat, let me know. Not many, if any, homes with boat garages like Havasu.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Congrats. When my company did that, 5 yrs ago. After 18 yrs there. They handed us our hats and showed us all to the door.
Done.
You work for a good company and obviously are a highly valued employee.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Just saw this thread...

Some great stories/advice here. RD's tale was epic.

Check my sig line and I wish you the best of luck!!!

MisplacedSooner

Reaction score
I work in the energy industry and was transferred to Houston, I worked 3.5 years down there and enjoyed it for the most part. I'm actually flying down there today for meetings and normally fly down at least once a quarter as our control center is down there. I worked downtown for the years I lived there and lived right off of 45 in The Woodlands. Hardy toll road is your friend, you can always take a bus, but I never liked doing that. I did like the Cypress area also, one thing to consider also is if you plan on flying home alot would be to pick a area that is somewhat close to the airport you will mainly use, If flying out of IAH all the time I would live on the North Side, if it would be Hobby I would live somewhere south like Sugarland or Pearland. Good Luck!

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Spring is a good area. Woodlands/Conroe commutes offer the Hardy to avoid I45.

I live in Brazoria county which is south and we enter the city through the Sugarland and Pearland areas.

It all comes to taking the time to understand the area and find the right spot with the most positives. And research the recent Harvey floods and the several events prior. Growth has had great effects on drainage.

If I do end up in Spring, then I'd definitely be using the toll road. The company offers a park n ride type deal that they'll pay for, so I may entertain that idea.

I have been doing a ton of research on the floodplains. I'm glad I did that because some homes I looked at prior, ended up flooded

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
You might also look NW toward Cypress, from Beltway 8 outbound. The Cy-Fair schools are good. They are in the somewhat final stages of the Hwy 290 expansion and should make the traffic a "little" better heading into downtown. Lots of nice subdivisions out that way. Cole's Crossing and Black Horse to name a couple. The commute to downtown depending on time of day will be an hr or so most days. May be less with the expanded freeway. Best part is, you will be an hour closer to the Hill Country lakes above Austin. You can also look at the Katy area, Cinco Ranch. I10 and 99 area. Good schools and lots of activity there. South of downtown is Pearland. Lots and lots of folks are moving there. Don't know, but they say good schools and not that far from downtown or Galveston Bay. Kemah area has some good seafood places.

MAIN THING --Wherever you even think about moving, you need to see how that area fared during Hurricane Harvey. Many areas that never flooded before got wet in 17'. If you move north (Spring), NW (Cypress), South (Pearland) or anywhere else, especially near downtown, find what areas stayed dry during Harvey. Harvey was an epic storm with over 50" of rain in a very short period of time, but it's still a good barometer of where to look. We have storms roll thru that dump 15"-20" at a time.

When we bought our current home, 14 years ago, we looked at several different subdivisions that we thought we might like. Everyone of the them flooded during Harvey, except where we bought. We were lucky. Not trying to discourage you, but you have to do your homework before you buy a home here.

By the way, I live NW near Beltway 8 and Hwy 290 and I keep my boat at Lake Conroe. About 45 min. drive from the house. Nice place with our own private ramp. Lake isn't all that large, but you can cruise around and beach at the dam or the island for a swim. If you need a place up there to keep your boat, let me know. Not many, if any, homes with boat garages like Havasu.

I spent a week in Houston in March to tour the downtown and surrounding areas. Although the Cypress and Katy areas were nice, we felt that Spring suited our style a little more. Maybe because of the maturity of the trees??

Do you have any knowledge of the Crosby area? I found some really nice homes about a block from Lake Houston that have great sized lots. But of course, a nice home doesn't necessarily mean its in a good area.

The best advice would come from the locals who know the area first hand

Cdog

Reaction score
Congrats! If you’re into racing cars TX is a great place to be. I’ve got well over 20 new friends from Dallas to San Antonio that I race with there. Hands down the friendliest group of people I’ve met in my life.

Looks like you have some good advice here already. I have some wealthy friends with homes on the water/docks/center console boats that would be happy to fill me in on an area if need be. So if you need PM me.

Cheers!

shunter2005

Reaction score
I spent a week in Houston in March to tour the downtown and surrounding areas. Although the Cypress and Katy areas were nice, we felt that Spring suited our style a little more. Maybe because of the maturity of the trees??

Do you have any knowledge of the Crosby area? I found some really nice homes about a block from Lake Houston that have great sized lots. But of course, a nice home doesn't necessarily mean its in a good area.

The best advice would come from the locals who know the area first hand
Spring isn't bad at all. Just don't buy or rent a house that is close to the creeks, just to be safe. When you get that far out, it's not much farther to hit the Woodlands. However, Exxon just moved a big office and 3K + jobs there and have been told that housing is going through the roof.

Crosby has always been a place of lower economic value. There are some select newer subdivisions that are probably very nice, but it's still an area of lower economic value. I haven't been out there for years, but I doubt it's changed all that much. It has been know to flood.

Lake Houston supplies the water for the Houston area. It's basically a shallow holding reservoir that is closed a couple of times a year due to high levels of bacteria (they do treat the water...lol) from not having enough rain. I haven't been on that lake in 30 years and I don't have any plans to visit any time soon. Lake Livingston on 59 about an hour north would be a much better alternative. It's bigger and cleaner, but it can get some rough water with an unexpected storm.

Personally, I wouldn't consider the SE, E or NE areas here, but that's just me. SE has a bunch of chemical plants. East is just a SHITHOLE!!!! NE area is better but does tend to flood a lot if you are near the San Jacinto River. JMO.....

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
Thought I'd update this thread ... the last couple of weeks have been super, super busy. Getting the house cleaned and ready to list, aside from normal day to day BS has been rough.

The house is so clean you could eat off the floor. It's like a damn museum.

My wife sent me a picture and all of a sudden, it hit me like a ton of fucking bricks ... we're moving. Made me a little misty eyed. We've been here for over 13 years, and soon we'll be gone.

I'm sitting at a bar in John Wayne Airport drinking a beer(s) ... getting ready to jump on a plane to Houston to look at potential homes to possibly buy.

Damn, this is rough ... but I'm trying to be positive about it.

Have a good weekend fellow RDP'ers.

IMG_64281.jpg

shunter2005

Reaction score
HavasuHank If you get to Houston and need any help or info, let me know. I will be glad to help you out. I live about 15-20 min. from Spring. Let me know.

Good luck....

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Been super busy with work as it is our busy time getting the tanks ready for the summer grade fuel.

About 2 months ago, a mandatory employee meeting was announced. As the 2 floors gathered in one of the main conference rooms, the director proceeded to give us the news that we have been expecting for the last 20 years but never thought would happen.

The lease for the building we are currently in wouldn't be renewed and they were moving the Orange offices to Houston where the main headquarters are located.

About a year from now (give or take), I'll be moving to the Houston area. I was pretty pissed and bummed at first, but I have since tried to look at the positives of this life changing move.

As with pretty much everything in life, there are pluses and minuses. My salary won't change, so we'll be in a much better financial situation. It's not like we are hurting here in California, but my wife definitely won't have to go back to work in Texas if she desires not to (although she said she would, or else she'd probably turn into a wino:p)

The company will pay for everything as far as selling my house and paying the closing costs, moving company, etc ... and will give me a percentage of my salary as an incentive. For this package to be effective, I only need to live in Houston for one year ... after that, I am free to relocate, transfer, find another job, whatever.

Although I'm not really looking forward to the ball-dragging humidity, it'll be nice to get out of this fucked up state. I've lived here my whole life, but I have been seeing how this place has been going into the shitter over the last X amount of years.

Every time I think about leaving our friends it does bum me out, but such is life and traveling back out here will be easy for a quick weekend trip for beers.

That being said -- When life hands you lemons, make a cocktail.

See you fuckers at Desert Storm.

Cheers

A lot of my customers out here in Austin actually live in Houston and DFW area. Lake Travis and Lake Austin is the Lake Havasu and Parker Strip of Texas! Hope to see you out here once you get settled.

grumpy88

Reaction score
We looked at homes on lake Conroe. About 45 minutes north of Houston . I think it also gets you far enough away from hurricanes being north .

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
We looked at homes on lake Conroe. About 45 minutes north of Houston . I think it also gets you far enough away from hurricanes being north .

Yup, Conroe is a great lake! We receive and also send many a boats to and from Conroe. Sadly zebra muscles are becoming a major problem in TX. Conroe is one of the worst and Travis got hit really hard this last summer with the infestation finally grabbing hold.

Keep your boat(s) on a lift or a trailer. Be wary of any properties that pull their water directly from the lake. Bottom paint is not enough anymore, they get into and clog all water systems of anything that stays in the water. Boats and land based systems alike.

Dettom

Reaction score
You have a great attitude about it. The best thing is, once you leave California, you’re going to wonder how you managed to put up with it for as long as you did. Congrats and enjoy.

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
So I've been home for a couple of hours. We spent the day Saturday looking at houses all day.

The first one on my list (and most important to me) was an awesome home and had everything I've been looking for.

I have been so stressed over everything that when I opened the door to the backyard and heard the waterfalls into the pool, I literally felt instant relaxation. First time in a while that has happened.

Saw some other homes, but we ended up at the first home at the end of the day ... just to go through it again. I don't want to buy based on emotion, but rather how the house will fit my needs as well as my family's.

I decided to sleep on it. This morning as I sat in the Terminal waiting to board, after contemplating everything, I decided I'd pursue it. Texted the agent and let him know.

He said ok and he would start everything. Within 5 minutes, he calls ... someone made an offer the day before ... and it was accepted this morning. ** sigh **

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
^^^ Bummer!!! Be patient one will come your way!

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
It'll happen when it's supposed to happen.
That one must have had bad juju.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I'm still kicking myself for not moving to austin TX when the company was paying for it. Getting out of CA and getting a 10% increase in pay from no state income tax, little hit on the property's... damnit I shouldve done it.

Congrats to you. I think as it gets closer you'll realize its probably the best move you could ever make.

Mr.Puck

Reaction score
image.jpg

Check out Clear Lake / Nassau bay

My brother lives there, water front, can boat out to the gulf if he wants to, he took us around Galveston bay, lots of cool bars/ restaurants.

It's really close to NASA, perfect for when people visit.