WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

The story of the London Bridge moving to Lake Havasu. Very well done.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Just a badass story and vision.

Awesome what peeps can accomplish when they team up and not get greedy.

Rattle Can Lou

Reaction score
Cool read...I'll look harder at it next time I go under it...lol

sirbob

Reaction score
Thanks for posting - I like the way the article mixed narrative with pictures. Kind of a cool format I have not seen before.

Although they seem to say a few things that did not line up - the purchase price was inconsistent from one part of the article to another. and I thought it interesting that one of the old timers mentioned they would watch the bridge being built from a boat on the lake. Could they really have seen much from Thompson bay? or the northern side? It would seem they would be too far away to see anything being built as the channel was not there at the time???

That said - cool article

Last edited:

rvrrun

Reaction score
It says the story aired on bbc one last night. If you have access to iplayer through Kodi, it can be seen on Inside Out.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
That was a good read. Thanks!!!

Blow It Up

Don't Member
Reaction score
Very cool! The house they refer to as the Palm Springs home is a home I worked on in 2000. It's actually in Rancho Mirage Thunderbird Country Club. It was in the original state that McCulloch had built. It had air conditioning blowing out of sunk in tennis court walls with lights that telescoped out of the ground. Huge push button panels that ran all the automated stuff in the home. I was there during the demo. This place was something to see.

rvrrun

Reaction score
Very cool! The house they refer to as the Palm Springs home is a home I worked on in 2000. It's actually in Rancho Mirage Thunderbird Country Club. It was in the original state that McCulloch had built. It had air conditioning blowing out of sunk in tennis court walls with lights that telescoped out of the ground. Huge push button panels that ran all the automated stuff in the home. I was there during the demo. This place was something to see.
For anyone that watches Huell Howser, there's an episode that showcases the home (and another on the third CC, I believe). You might be able to find them on a PBS website.

DWC

Reaction score
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Bitchen read.
The president actually signed off on the channel after the dredging permit was denied. Amazing

old rigger

Reaction score
We use to ride dirt bikes in the area and channel that would become the London Bridge and a channel full of water.. Pallets and pallets of bricks all numbered of course. The city was just a spec but compared to Bullhead, where we had a place, it was huge.

We also rode mini bikes through the Keys on the strip when they were still digging it out, that was pretty cool.

Moabifam5

Reaction score
We used to camp at the Coves campground when I was a kid. I believe part of it is the Carzy Horse now. My Grandfather ended up buying lots back in the beginning and he would take us over to the yard to watch the trucks bringing the stone in. We spent many Easter weeks and summer weekends before and after the bridge was built. Still blows me away to see the pictures and see the devleopment today. Very cool story, thanks for posting.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
I had heard about the filthy pigeons, sky rats. This verifies it. Bad deal. Thanks, enjoyed the post.

rrrr

Reaction score
Until reading the BBC article and seeing the photos, I had no idea the concrete skeleton of the bridge was poured directly onto the sand, which had been excavated and shaped to form the bridge arches.

That was a fantastic idea. Excavating the earth and then building freestanding forms would have cost far more than a couple of million 2018 dollars.

Thanks for posting the link, BB.