WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Best new diesel Ford vs Chevy vs Ram 3500 I need 4 new trucks

DaBank

Reaction score
I have 4 Ram 3500 Crewcabs and 2 single cabs, all duallys 2014 to 2017 with 100k to 250k miles.
Out of warrenty and these trucks cant stay out of the dealership most with check engine lights,turbos bad,radiators bad and 1 transmission so far. Ram has Pcm updates that are $250 each time to correct stuff and that is crazy.

With all that said these trucks are driven by mutilipe employees that beat them up and dont worry about anything. I know get new people.....that is not a option.
They 80% of the time are towing 25ft to 40ft food concessions trailers and carnival equipment and the rest of the time loaded down in the bed,I mean the floors and bed sides are dented and caved in 2 inches...lol
The Rams run great and are maintained mechanically but look like they should be in a junkyard.
NOT sure if I should get new Rams beside just burnt out being at Ram dealers all the time I really dont like that the dually fenders are 1 piece besides, they are hard to load from the side and are dented to shit in a month.

So Ford
Or Ram
Or Chevy
For new trucks?
Also who has the best prepaid maintenance plans and 3/250k extended warranties.....meaning I want from the day it leaves the lot to me covered for 3 year and 250k miles?

grumpy88

Reaction score
My dodge I was offered a lifetime warranty . Do those not apply to company's or 1 tons ? I would buy the dodges in my opinion

Enen

Reaction score
I bought a ‘16 Ram new and it’s been nothing but trouble. I can’t say I’m impressed with Cummins or the rest of the truck for that matter.

I’m going to roll a Ford for the next truck. It seems like Ford is way past the engine issues of the 6.0 and 6.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I bought a ‘16 Ram new and it’s been nothing but trouble. I can’t say I’m impressed with Cummins or the rest of the truck for that matter.

I’m going to roll a Ford for the next truck. It seems like Ford is way past the engine issues of the 6.0 and 6.4.

I have been a dodge Cummins fan forever. My last one was great except the smog BS. We run fords for our work trucks and the 6.7 is pretty bullet proof so far. I’m almost at 200k on mine and have had really no issues.

Enen

Reaction score
I have been a dodge Cummins fan forever. My last one was great except the smog BS. We run fords for our work trucks and the 6.7 is pretty bullet proof so far. I’m almost at 200k on mine and have had really no issues.

I have fairly low expectations. I just want my engine to idle and not randomly stall. [emoji23]
Glad to hear Ford is treating you well. It’s an expensive commitment with the price of trucks these days.

Fun Times

Moderated
Reaction score
Pay those guys to slow down while loading the truck....A damage control incentive of some sort.:)

What is the weight the trucks tend to carry and tow? Ford and Dodge tow rating numbers are much higher than Chevy for legal standpoints so be careful there.

The new chevy 6.6L Duramax L5P is a fun engine and the truck is much quiet noise wise for luxury standards though ford and dodge are nice too nowadays.

One new concern for the newer model Chevys are the brakes as some with the 2500/3500's that tow heavy are reporting they have to do new brake pads, etc. before 20k miles are up, https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/to...akes-or-brake/?do=findComment&comment=2109241

JD D05

Reaction score
All can be great all can have issues. In my opinion Ford has the best overall product, but I would be happy with all of them assuming nothing crazy like what happened to Enen.

cnj

Reaction score
In my opnion, every car hauler you see is a ram truck..... that's gotta tell you something. Cummins has a great track record. And the 2011-up rams are much better build quality than they use to be.

This. Right. Here.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
I’m a Chevy fan. However I hope they have moved the deff fill, it’s under the hood on my 16 and that’s lame. A friend of mine has the ford. If I was buying work trucks I would go to the fleet manager of both the Chevy and ford dealers and see who gave the better deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I’d scout Craigslist in all the non rusty states for 8.1L chevys...or buy new gassers. The newer 6.0L GM with the 8spd tows good. Gas trucks are available with north of 400hp now...we’re approaching the tipping point where a diesel isn’t worth the headaches.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
In my opnion, every car hauler you see is a ram truck..... that's gotta tell you something. Cummins has a great track record. And the 2011-up rams are much better build quality than they use to be.

I agree. It seems like 95%-99% or anyone hauling commercially with a dually are Dodge.

MillerTime

Reaction score
Dont get a ford if they are gonna get beat up. These aluminum bodies won't take the abuse.
Seems like almost every ram we get in the shop is trashed and a complete nightmare for lights on the dash or electronic issues, and this is in a body shop!
If you have idiots filling the DEF tank, GM has it figured out. I cant tell you how many times I've heard of people putting def in a ford or dodge truck. Never heard of 1 person doing that with a GM truck. Personally dont see what the issue is that some people have with the def under the hood. Heck, every jug of Def i ever got, had the strechy neck with it. At least under the hood, you don't have to hold the jug when you fill it!
I think the newer 6.7 ford is better than 1st gen, & i think its a good looking truck, but those aluminium bodys are a mess to deal with.
I'll admit im a GM guy, but ford would be my second pick. Ram...... id never own one! I don't think i could afford to keep one running or keep the dash from being lit up like a Christmas tree! Lol!!

Hullbilly

Reaction score
I have 4 Ram 3500 Crewcabs and 2 single cabs, all duallys 2014 to 2017 with 100k to 250k miles.
Out of warrenty and these trucks cant stay out of the dealership most with check engine lights,turbos bad,radiators bad and 1 transmission so far. Ram has Pcm updates that are $250 each time to correct stuff and that is crazy.

With all that said these trucks are driven by mutilipe employees that beat them up and dont worry about anything. I know get new people.....that is not a option.
They 80% of the time are towing 25ft to 40ft food concessions trailers and carnival equipment and the rest of the time loaded down in the bed,I mean the floors and bed sides are dented and caved in 2 inches...lol
The Rams run great and are maintained mechanically but look like they should be in a junkyard.
NOT sure if I should get new Rams beside just burnt out being at Ram dealers all the time I really dont like that the dually fenders are 1 piece besides, they are hard to load from the side and are dented to shit in a month.

So Ford
Or Ram
Or Chevy
For new trucks?
Also who has the best prepaid maintenance plans and 3/250k extended warranties.....meaning I want from the day it leaves the lot to me covered for 3 year and 250k miles?

For what you’re using them for, I’d stick with the cummins.

Aside from that they all piles of junk.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I'm a diehard 7.3 Ford guy but I would get a GMC. My next truck will probably be a GMC. I've never understood the Dodge/Ram following. The configurations are all over the place.

goshen82

Reaction score
We have all 6 fords with the 6.7 and haven’t had any big issues. 3 are f550 utility trucks and they seem to be pretty good so far. We had bought chevys when ford had the bad diesel years but the 6.7 has been great. We have an 11,13,14,15,16, and 17 all diesel and none have had much issue.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

One thing I have noticed....if you work a newer diesel hard those people never have issues. The one common denominator is the tricks that are weekend toys or see little to no action those are the people that have issues.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
That Cummins is tough to beat and Ram has stepped up their game the last few years with the most bang for the buck. We lease almost all Rams now from Barco and Premier $800 month unlimited mileage 1500-3500 Laramie Package and they've been pretty reliable.
I still think Ford is better all-around truck durability wise, better anointed and doesn't have all the nickel & issues that drive you nuts with Chevy and Dodges.
IMO Avoid the Chevy/GMC. My personal truck is GMC Sierra 2500 and I'm disappointed with it.

River Runnin

Reaction score
Real Trucks!

Real Truck 1.jpg
:D

And attention whore all in one!

Sunset

Reaction score
Pay those guys to slow down while loading the truck....A damage control incentive of some sort.:)

What is the weight the trucks tend to carry and tow? Ford and Dodge tow rating numbers are much higher than Chevy for legal standpoints so be careful there.

The new chevy 6.6L Duramax L5P is a fun engine and the truck is much quiet noise wise for luxury standards though ford and dodge are nice too nowadays.

One new concern for the newer model Chevys are the brakes as some with the 2500/3500's that tow heavy are reporting they have to do new brake pads, etc. before 20k miles are up, https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/to...akes-or-brake/?do=findComment&comment=2109241
At 14k new brakes

rush1

Reaction score
I’d scout Craigslist in all the non rusty states for 8.1L chevys...or buy new gassers. The newer 6.0L GM with the 8spd tows good. Gas trucks are available with north of 400hp now...we’re approaching the tipping point where a diesel isn’t worth the headaches.
This right here in a Heart Beat ,cheapest truck to fix on the road today and believe me with someone else driving them you have to fix anything

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed....if you work a newer diesel hard those people never have issues. The one common denominator is the tricks that are weekend toys or see little to no action those are the people that have issues.

I disagree, lol

I average 50k plus per year on my dodge and it’s had issues
So far
on my 3rd transmission solenoid ( every 50k miles or so ) 20k ish more to go to see if it’s still true
Rear main axle seal bad at 50k miles and not sure when it started but destroyed brakes by putting all the pressure to front. Of course brakes weren’t covered under warranty even though they failed because of rear seal leaking onto rear brakes :mad:
Front wheel hub at 100k
Water pump was a recall, but was told for nearly a year they only get 5 or so per week and they’ll let me know when they have mine. Well it shit the bed and blew while towing. Magically they found a water pump for me the next day.
Now since replaced it has ran really hot twice while towing and that’s never been an issue until now.
Have told Dodge twice now they can keep the truck and I’ll go across the street and buy a ford.

Honestly dodge, ford, Chevy Iv had em all. They all suck

Edit: plus it used to be if your drive 30k plus miles per year a diesel payed for itself.
Now that diesel costs damn near same as premium gas, oil and fuel filter costs 450.
Issues starting at 100k plus miles like a gas vehicle
I’m not really seeing the benefits of diesel other then being able to tow, but that gap is even getting smaller every production year.

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
Where have been taking it?
I disagree, lol

So far
on my 3rd transmission solenoid ( every 50k miles or so ) 20k ish more to go to see if it’s still true
Rear main axle seal bad at 50k miles and not sure when it started but destroyed brakes by putting all the pressure to front. Of course brakes weren’t covered under warranty even though they failed because of rear seal leaking onto rear brakes :mad:
Front wheel hub at 100k
Water pump was a recall, but was told for nearly a year they only get 5 or so per week and they’ll let me know when they have mine. Well it shit the bed and blew while towing. Magically they found a water pump for me the next day.
Now since replaced it has ran really hot twice while towing and that’s never been an issue until now.
Have told Dodge twice now they can keep the truck and I’ll go across the street and buy a ford.

Edit: plus it used to be if your drive 30k plus miles per year a diesel payed for itself.
Now that diesel costs damn near same as premium gas, oil and fuel filter costs 450.
I’m not really seeing the benefits of diesel other then being able to tow, but that gap is even getting smaller every production year.

Ultra912

Reaction score
All my crew trucks are f450's 6.7
The one I drive has 40k miles pulling a 24 foot trailer with a bobcat, two buckets and a hydraulic breaker and my brakes are still good.
MY pickup is a GMC 3500 dually with a DM. I have 150K miles and have never had an issue other than brakes and a rear differential seal and I'm pulling boat and TT with it.

Hullbilly

Reaction score
All my crew trucks are f450's 6.7
The one I drive has 40k miles pulling a 24 foot trailer with a bobcat, two buckets and a hydraulic breaker and my brakes are still good.
MY pickup is a GMC 3500 dually with a DM. I have 150K miles and have never had an issue other than brakes and a rear differential seal and I'm pulling boat and TT with it.

Is GM still using the AAM in the rear end? Back when I had my 03 dodge dually, both GM and Dodge were using the AAM and had problems with the pinion seal. I think it was around 25k miles when mine went bad. Replaced it, never had another issue and I sold in in ‘09 with 200k on it.

DaBank

Reaction score
That Cummins is tough to beat and Ram has stepped up their game the last few years with the most bang for the buck. We lease almost all Rams now from Barco and Premier $800 month unlimited mileage 1500-3500 Laramie Package and they've been pretty reliable.
I still think Ford is better all-around truck durability wise, better anointed and doesn't have all the nickel & issues that drive you nuts with Chevy and Dodges.
IMO Avoid the Chevy/GMC. My personal truck is GMC Sierra 2500 and I'm disappointed with it.
I have seen both those company's ads and always thought about looking into them but the guys destroy the trucks and being a lease we would be I bad shape at the end. They pretty much only deal with leasing work trucks so I am sure most there lease returns can not be in that great of shape?

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

So Ford
Or Ram
Or Chevy
For new trucks?

Sounds like your trucks are doing fine with the beating they take and the miles they're driven. Why not keep driving them until they can't continue or the cost for repairs equals the cost of a new truck (monthly)?

Spot

Reaction score
I know of a tow truck company that transitioned their entire fleet V-tens. The owner told me he was tired of all the hassle of dealing with diesel. He said it’s the best decision he ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Check with your insurance carrier. Ford aluminum trucks cost about two and a half times more to repair than a steel Chevy or Dodge. Some carriers are charging more for comp and collision on these trucks. I would stay away from the aluminum body for a true work truck.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
I disagree, lol

So far
Front wheel hub at 100k

Time to go with a new Ford. I've had 3 Duramax and had no issues to speak of. This new Ford blows doors on those chevys.

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I have noticed two things when it comes to new truck. There are the guys that mod them and have nothing but troubles. Then there are the guys that don't work then very hard and have nothing but trouble. Everyone I know that pushes them hard has zero issues.

hallett21

Reaction score
I have noticed two things when it comes to new truck. There are the guys that mod them and have nothing but troubles. Then there are the guys that don't work then very hard and have nothing but trouble. Everyone I know that pushes them hard has zero issues.

My experience as well.

“Stock” is usually 5k worth of tuners, intakes, etc lol.

17 Ram 3500 coming up on a year next week with 38,000 trouble free miles.

JD D05

Reaction score

100% not true. In fact deleted trucks are more reliable.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Buy cab and chassis and get stake bed or utility bodies made for the trucks. There isn't enough sheet metal in today's trucks to hold up for very long.

My opinion on F450/550 with gas engines is well established.

Last edited:
Reactions: DLC

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I have seen both those company's ads and always thought about looking into them but the guys destroy the trucks and being a lease we would be I bad shape at the end. They pretty much only deal with leasing work trucks so I am sure most there lease returns can not be in that great of shape?
Yeah, If you're gonna lease from them, You do have to take decent care of trucks, cause they're pretty much all brand new $50-60K Laramies.:cool: Minimal wear and tear like chipped paint, dings, etc…is OK. But we're responsible for any damage & routine maintenance like LOF, tires, dented or caved in qtr panels, doors folded forward,:eek: missing or dented tailgates, shattered front windows,:oops: missing back windows, stock tires and wheels missingo_O…..yes, these are just a few of the items that our mechanics have repaired or replaced.:mad:
I think The best part is because we've requested more 2500's than they can supply, they're now giving us 1500 & 3500 for the 2500 price and unlimited mileage.:cool:

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of weights you're hauling/towing, but you can get the Ram 3500 chassis cab with the 6.4 Hemi, Aisin trans, and 4.44 gears, in SRW or DRW. Might be an alternative to diesel depending on the application.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
My dodge I was offered a lifetime warranty . Do those not apply to company's or 1 tons ? I would buy the dodges in my opinion
Remember what tommy boy said about a guarantee........

JD D05

Reaction score
This whole thread reminds me of why I stopped posting in diesel forums...haha

Hahahaha yep, I was on CompD (really the only decent one ) PSA, PSN, Cummins Forum for years. I still look at CompD better almost never post.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Hahahaha yep, I was on CompD (really the only decent one ) PSA, PSN, Cummins Forum for years. I still look at CompD better almost never post.

Same bere, been on TDR since it was about the only one around (~99?), ran my own local chapter of TDR (nmtdr), comp d, 1320 diesel, CF, diesel bombers, swcr, all that BS. It was an addiction. Diesels were life back then! Back when 600hp was amazing, and the diesel forums were filled with action regarding performance and not riddled with "so this week, this broke on my truck...", or "so I have this 2007 cummings, and cant find a fuel plate for it...".

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Go to Fast Lane Truck on You Tube and the GM diesels get 3 to 4 more MPG in identical testing conditions.
I'm getting almost 10 MPG towing the TH with the DMax. Friends with F450's towing a trailer just like mine on the same road and we're going to the same place get 6 to 7 MPG.
They read my posts, I doubt they'll chime in and disagree.

That MPG adds up with a fleet.

JD D05

Reaction score
Same bere, been on TDR since it was about the only one around (~99?), ran my own local chapter of TDR (nmtdr), comp d, 1320 diesel, CF, diesel bombers, swcr, all that BS. It was an addiction. Diesels were life back then! Back when 600hp was amazing, and the diesel forums were filled with action regarding performance and not riddled with "so this week, this broke on my truck...", or "so I have this 2007 cummings, and cant find a fuel plate for it...".

I was on all those also. It was the best times I was traveling around racing with Zane Koch and all that for years. We use to drive to DDP in Seattle just to dyno with Maddog in a weekend. I was one of the first or possibly the first to do triple turbo's.

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
I was on all those also. It was the best times I was traveling around racing with Zane Koch and all that for years. We use to drive to DDP in Seattle just to dyno with Maddog in a weekend. I was one of the first or possibly the first to do triple turbo's.

Yup, those were the good years of diesel perf! Zane was full throttle or wide open diesel or something right?

I think I remember a little about your triples. I was working with pius eberle at bell turbo, I was running one of his singles and messing with different comp wheels trying to make it work at altitude...and I think he was building turbos for yours or some other triple common Rail? Was 2008-ish...

I totally forgot about Richard madsen. Man, that green 12v OBS was in every magazine in existence!

I hung around with Newly Tolf from underground diesel and a few others, but never got big into the strip like most others did. In 2010 or so the whole scene seemed to be nothing but drama, so I found other interests.

JD D05

Reaction score
Yup, those were the good years of diesel perf! Zane was full throttle or wide open diesel or something right?

I think I remember a little about your triples. I was working with pius eberle at bell turbo, I was running one of his singles and messing with different comp wheels trying to make it work at altitude...and I think he was building turbos for yours or some other triple common Rail? Was 2008-ish...

I totally forgot about Richard madsen. Man, that green 12v OBS was in every magazine in existence!

I hung around with Newly Tolf from underground diesel and a few others, but never got big into the strip like most others did. In 2010 or so the whole scene seemed to be nothing but drama, so I found other interests.

Yes owned Wide Open Performance...He now owns H&S Motorsports.

HA! Not many people really know of Pius he did build my triples yes. It was around 2008 I had an 06 commonrail, my original set was sold than built another set intercooled between stages.

I know the name Newly but I don't think we ever ran into each other. I stopped going because I got older with kids and it was hard to leave for a week to drive to Kentucky to play trucks.

DaBank

Reaction score
They all have about $1100 payments and all been out of warrenty since a year and a half old. 4 have power train warranties till 150k miles but only one has lost a transmission (out of warrenty) $3.8k factory new. The motors and transmission are good and they run good. The problem been radiators $2k, turbo issues $3k, front steering $2k, check engine lights every month......needing pcm flashes $250 each time,NEW PCM $3k, Mafs $350,etc.
They get oil changes every 6 weeks and by the time they are out maybe $600 plus a visit because of check engine lights and messages on the dash. I ran the numbers this year so far and not including basic maintenance oil,tires and brakes these trucks in repairs are costing $1200 a month plus $1100 payment. With tires and brakes about $2500 each, so I sick of looking at these things and saying how much a month I can buy 2 new ones for the same price I am spending now on one?

Sounds like your trucks are doing fine with the beating they take and the miles they're driven. Why not keep driving them until they can't continue or the cost for repairs equals the cost of a new truck (monthly)?