WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Arguing With the Boss

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So I decided to take the day off today after getting in an argument this morning with the boss.

In a nutshell: I told him he has too many things on his mind and its keeping him from properly managing parts. and that his misordering, forgetting to order, and job specific parts getting put into inventory and forgotten about was causing me delays, which cost me efficiency, which cost me money, and that in turn cost him money. I cited several specific examples.

I then proceeded to tell him I wanted control of ordering my parts since im already doing all my own parts lookup anyway and eliminating the middleman in the ordering process will alleviate a lot of headaches for the both us.

He disagreed, voices were raised, and I excused myself before it got too out of hand.

Currently sitting on the couch stewing....

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Maybe the first round, but we will be picking it up again in the morning

Also not going to hang out all day to bill out half an hour because the rest of my parts aren't here... again.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Ive found that telling the person holding the cheese that they don't know what they are doing means you are smarter than them.....usually doesn't end well long term after that.

Sucks, but that is why it is called a job.

Brian

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Ive found that telling the person holding the cheese that they don't know what they are doing means you are smarter than them.....usually doesn't end well long term after that.

Brian

Didn't say that, I said he's too much on his plate and needs to relinquish some control to let the rest of us help him

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
That is for him to decide...was my point....otherwise you would have his job...

Just sayin. Take it for what it is worth sir.

I understand your frustration. That is why I am King, I make all the calls, now.

Didn't say that, I said he's too much on his plate and needs to relinquish some control to let the rest of us help him

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Boss's usually don't like to relinquish control. The only exceptions are when they don't care anymore, or when they are looking to get out (Retirement, looking for the next guy to buy out or replace). It's just kind of the way it has been at places I worked. If he has home or health problems, that compounds the troubles. If those will pass soon, things may return to normal. If not, may be time to look at other options. It really depends on you. The boss is the boss...From the title, I wondered if it was a wife issue...now those are the tough ones!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Haha. I'm sure my "job" is in tact. And yes a more tactful approach will be used tomorrow.

I'm sure I caught him off guard and then he immediately got defensive which was a big part of how events unraveled but there are still issues that need resolved.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You da thought that I would have been in a better mood today after the first fire up of my Ultra Engine last night :/

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I've found a lot of times that the boss always wants control because hes not telling you the big picture. There might not be enough money in the bank to order all said parts and bury the company in a mountain of debt. He's keeping liability windows/gaps tight. If timelines get pushed, they get pushed. If it comes back to you, you have more than enough fodder to throw back at him as to why clients are upset. Remember, its just a job. I'm not sure what type of work you're doing, but its not curing cancer or sending people to the moon I'm sure. The most frustrating part like you said is keeping yourself or others busy when theres nothing to do... go sweep the shop or reorganize. When the boss asks what you're doing, tell him you're burning office hours and losing money because parts arent being stocked in time.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I've found a lot of times that the boss always wants control because hes not telling you the big picture. There might not be enough money in the bank to order all said parts and bury the company in a mountain of debt. He's keeping liability windows/gaps tight. If timelines get pushed, they get pushed. If it comes back to you, you have more than enough fodder to throw back at him as to why clients are upset. Remember, its just a job. I'm not sure what type of work you're doing, but its not curing cancer or sending people to the moon I'm sure. The most frustrating part like you said is keeping yourself or others busy when theres nothing to do... go sweep the shop or reorganize. When the boss asks what you're doing, tell him you're burning office hours and losing money because parts arent being stocked in time.

Flat rate boat mechanic. If I'm not turning a wrench, I'm not making any money. Technically, I'm actually a subcontractor.

I won't talk about the business finances but I personally know the money is there.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Flat rate boat mechanic. If I'm not turning a wrench, I'm not making any money. Technically, I'm actually a subcontractor.

I won't talk about the business finances but I personally know the money is there.

Bummer. More yelling. Start looking for something somewhere else? Wasnt Boostpower looking for riggers?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Bummer. More yelling. Start looking for something somewhere else? Wasnt Boostpower looking for riggers?

I make a little bit more than a rigger. Also I'm a diagnostician at heart and I thrive at the logistics part. I wouldn't be happy doing anything else.

I know I have it pretty well where I'm at, but it grinds me to know something as little as this affects me as much as it does.

BONER

Reaction score
Venting is one thing, so I understand this Thread. But at the end of the day, the Boss is the Boss, and that's it.

Atleast you didn't quit. Hopefully a day apart will help both of you come to an agreement.

jetur

Reaction score
I had many days like this at my last job. 5 yrs ago I said f#@$ it, I can certainly do a better job than this on my own. I started my own business and it's the best decision I have ever made.

1cole280S

Reaction score
a good Boss will always listen feed back from the employees... things change and you don't always see it... sometimes it helps to suggest new strategies for the success and financial gains of the company and the employees.... an iron fist is just like a wrecking ball...... an opened mind will see a new road to continued success....

Good luck with your dilemma

HBCraig

Reaction score
I will tell you this. I manage the west coast and have to manage other guys. I dont really say shit and my boss asked why. If I have to tell my guys how to do their job then what exactly are they doing? If you are doing your job and getting results I could care less what they are doing. They better not be on RDP though. ;)

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
So I decided to take the day off today after getting in an argument this morning with the boss.

In a nutshell: I told him he has too many things on his mind and its keeping him from properly managing parts. and that his misordering, forgetting to order, and job specific parts getting put into inventory and forgotten about was causing me delays, which cost me efficiency, which cost me money, and that in turn cost him money. I cited several specific examples.

I then proceeded to tell him I wanted control of ordering my parts since im already doing all my own parts lookup anyway and eliminating the middleman in the ordering process will alleviate a lot of headaches for the both us.

He disagreed, voices were raised, and I excused myself before it got too out of hand.

I would advise that you tread lightly. It's fine to point out the boss' failures, but I think that it could be handled more diplomatically. Not that it cost YOU time, wasted effort etc. But that it was just wasted time period and reduced the effectiveness of the group and reduces the margins of the company as a whole.

Are you using Siemens Teamcenter or another planning tool like Xelus, or Baxter?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I would advise that you tread lightly. It's fine to point out the boss' failures, but I think that it could be handled more diplomatically. Not that it cost YOU time, wasted effort etc. But that it was just wasted time period and reduced the effectiveness of the group and reduces the margins of the company as a whole.

Are you using Siemens Teamcenter or another planning tool like Xelus, or Baxter?

Negative. The shop uses quick books and I personally am old school and use ledgers

Dalton

Reaction score
if you're basically a sub contractor, maybe on one job feel out floating the parts on your own

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
When I was a GM and someone brought me an idea on how to change something, my response would depend on how big the change was. If it was a small change and didn't costs a ton of money, I was usually open to the idea and would say let's see if it would work.

If it was a big change then I would tell them to get the data and prove to me it would be better. It happened a few times.

If your boss's actions are effecting your paycheck in a negative way, it is time to go to his boss or find another place to do what you love.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

theres a double edge sword here, I'm been in this situation before,..i used to build custom street rods at my shop,.. hence the name... Las Vegas Street Rods... and here's what happened,.. In the same situation... I did what you asked and it was total failure..

ordering parts Zoomed out of control ..no one would take the time shop the price, the answer was always,... hey I don't have time to sit on the phone or shop for price...the constant fight with me was , hey what the fuck is that compressor doing sitting on the bench??? oh, it's bad...why don't you return it..."I didn't have time"... wtf..you got parts lay'n around every where that need returned... and WTF is the bill for a drop axel??? we haven't done a straight axel car in months.."Oh,.. that was for my buddy,... I put the money in the drawer"... when ? I never seen any extra money? .. " I think he paid by check" where's the invoice?." fuck I don't know, it was too long ago,... we ended up with me going from owing no one to owng everyone...I spent more time going through invoices than a CPA... what a fuc'n mess,.. guys were robbing the shop blind...guys where ordering parts for their cars and all their friends cars...they would not put the parts on the ticket...the job would be labor and materials for 1000 bucks, so they would not put half the parts, that way they turned in more on the labor side...and heres another thing I found out about people ... it's not if they will steel,.. it's when and how much...and even worse when they think you owe them

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
a good Boss will always listen feed back from the employees... things change and you don't always see it... sometimes it helps to suggest new strategies for the success and financial gains of the company and the employees.... an iron fist is just like a wrecking ball...... an opened mind will see a new road to continued success....

Good luck with your dilemma
some times the "IRON FIST" comes from experience , you don't have to do something you already know won't work,.. letting an installer have the reins is failure waiting to happen .. poor planning causes emergency situations.... some parts must be shopped and ordered, and when ordered wrong... must be returned..some time at a cost to the company....most installers could give a fuc about the bottom line.. only care that they make more.. labor is on the top line..total cost ,..bottom line is what the business actually makes when the job is done.. you gotta separate the nuts from the squirrels or you won't make it through the winter

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

I've also found this to be true... run a business like you are broke and you will make money and stay afloat,... watch your pennys and the dollars will take care of them selves..

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
So, bottom line here...here's what I would, and have done...Installers put in a request for parts to do said job, and install them when they arrive...period..failure to request parts,.. or request wrong parts falls on the installer..you have to have a separate manager that controls parts from the installer
..that manager is responsible for ordering parts and returns..they have the time, where as the installer never does..

even with that, there still are problems..I can go to my shop and on any day find my money sitting on shelves...parts not returned... cores not turned in...fasteners lay'n all over...parts ordered for employee cars..or friends..when I went in business,.. lost a lot of so called friends..

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
So, bottom line here...here's what I would, and have done...Installers put in a request for parts to do said job, and install them when they arrive...period..failure to request parts,.. or request wrong parts falls on the installer..you have to have a separate manager that controls parts from the installer
..that manager is responsible for ordering parts and returns..they have the time, where as the installer never does..

even with that, there still are problems..I can go to my shop and on any day find my money sitting on shelves...parts not returned... cores not turned in...fasteners lay'n all over...parts ordered for employee cars..or friends..when I went in business,.. lost a lot of so called friends..

We have asked on several occasions for a parts manager but he will not hire one. Which would also solve our problems and I would be open to. The bottom line is he does not have the time to properly take care of the parts and he needs to have somebody else do it.

Whether it be me or somebody else. That I don't care about as long as it's getting done which right now it isnt.

Thanks for your 2cents tho, you are coming directly from the other side.

1cole280S

Reaction score
For every action there is a reaction..... your action usually sets the stage for the reaction your going to receive....
owning and operating a business is a very delicate balance. looking 30 to 40 people in the eye every day knowing they depend on you provide them with what it takes to provide for there family at home can be EXTREMLY stressful !!!! money, health ins, retirement, ect. The employee takes there share home at every scheduled pay period, more often than not the owner is still weighting for there paycheck for 30, 60, or even 90 days in some cases. It takes a huge amount of respect from both side of the fence, nobody wins when it becomes a heated argument.....

wallnutz

Reaction score

Brian
I'm waiting for the day this happens. I will say, it's all yours don't lose me money while I'm out playing.

buck35

Reaction score
On the flip side, explain if you are idle neither of you are making money off you're service. Many valid points for both sides, and all end with the bottom line.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
I am the "Boss" (ceo) and I assert it from time to time however the literal "life blood" of My business has been from the youthful progressive incite and innovation of my Son (half my age) has brought to the business over the past several years , He has taught me a lot .... , We still respect each others opinions and occasionally struggle with each other but without him and my Wife , I'd still be a very small business ,... Growing up I worked for My Pops and FIL and other "old dudes" and their methods and ways "were the only way" ,stubborn and wanting to micro manage everything , Its a tough thing to learn to relinquish duties and responsibilities when you set in your ways :)

"the Student becomes the Teacher"

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I am the "Boss" (ceo) and I assert it from time to time however the literal "life blood" of My business has been from the youthful progressive incite and innovation of my Son (half my age) has brought to the business over the past several years , He has taught me a lot .... , We still respect each others opinions and occasionally struggle with each other but without him and my Wife , I'd still be a very small business ,... Growing up I worked for My Pops and FIL and other "old dudes" and their methods and ways "were the only way" ,stubborn and wanting to micro manage everything , Its a tough thing to learn to relinquish duties and responsibilities when you set in your ways :)

"the Student becomes the Teacher"
I learned this long long ago, you can learn a better way with someone who has never done it before, they have an open mind and put it to work...that's evolution...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
We have asked on several occasions for a parts manager but he will not hire one. Which would also solve our problems and I would be open to. The bottom line is he does not have the time to properly take care of the parts and he needs to have somebody else do it.

Whether it be me or somebody else. That I don't care about as long as it's getting done which right now it isnt.

Thanks for your 2cents tho, you are coming directly from the other side.
I was there in the beginning..didn't do enough to afford a manager, so I did it all..profit margin was at it's highest thou,... but there come a point where your not able to keep up...if you're getting paid by the job,he's getting in to your pocket..if by the hour or salary.. your getting in to his..

the way I would handle this situation would be more calm.."hey boss, we got a problem....I need someone to go to for parts so I'm not standing around all the time..

spectras only

Reaction score
OP is a subcontractor, meaning that he's paid by doing piecework, not searching for parts on his own. If he doesn't get the parts he needs for the job, he can't finish the piece work. If the BOSS willing to pay him for the time he's searching for parts, that's cool. I've been a subcontractor in the past with several outfits.;) When switched to work for a corporation, shut my mouth and did as was told:p. When our department enrolled to Kaizan events to improve efficiency, we had people from Rochester, coming over asking us to figure out how to improve efficiency. It always ended up they didn't know any better ways. After we confronted them to show us a better way, they backed off, lol. After all, our facility was the most profitable across the globe. The company is only a shell of its former glory now a days though.:(

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
He's busy being busy today and I would hazard to say avoiding finishing this out and finding a solution.

So I ordered the parts I needed myself with the knowledge of the service manager.

And the can gets kicked down the road...

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
If you work on commission, and you are being effectively "starved out" by lack of performance from your boss, then look for a new job.

If you are as good as you have suggested, you will have a new position, probably with better pay, in less than a day.

Good techs are highly sought after, in any industry that has to do with ICE's.

If you really like working where you are at, attempt again (maybe a little more tactfully) to communicate your frustration to your employer.

I've left shops many times, always made more money at each new place, until I got fed up and went out on my own.

The worst day working for yourself, is better than the best day working for someone else.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
OP is a subcontractor, meaning that he's paid by doing piecework, not searching for parts on his own. If he doesn't get the parts he needs for the job, he can't finish the piece work. If the BOSS willing to pay him for the time he's searching for parts, that's cool. I've been a subcontractor in the past with several outfits.;) When switched to work for a corporation, shut my mouth and did as was told:p. When our department enrolled to Kaizan events to improve efficiency, we had people from Rochester, coming over asking us to figure out how to improve efficiency. It always ended up they didn't know any better ways. After we confronted them to show us a better way, they backed off, lol. After all, our facility was the most profitable across the globe. The company is only a shell of its former glory now a days though.:(

Funny, back in the day I participated in "Quality Circles"
Then I learned about Tagutchi methods, then Kaizan events and now the big thing is Six Sigma lean manufacturing...

If bosses would just listen to their people in the trenches there would be continuous improvement.
No need for some consulting firm paid by the company to get that type of feedback.

At my current employer I have a boss that is 35 with 10 years of experience. He loves to micro manage me and tends to ignore my 35 years of know how.
I don't push back much anymore, I just think to myself "they want it wrong...okay I will give them exactly that."

We have a huge problem in our manufacturing facility building non-conforming parts because of this style of managing.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I'm capped out at my pay and at the glass ceiling. The only way to get more money is higher efficiency, otherwise I'm striking it out on my own or seeking partnership elsewhere.

But yes if I wanted to make a lateral movement, I have that door open too. I've never made a lateral movement in my life though