WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Finding Raegan - volunteers

HCP3

Reaction score
Most of those areas are only going to be accessible by shallow water craft like jet ski's / bass boats / flats boats / air boat (although not real common out here).
RD

I don't know if the boat is still there, but when I was at Everything Tire, Automotive and Marine off of N. Kiowa a month ago, there was an air boat in one of their service bays.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don't know if the boat is still there, but when I was at Everything Tire, Automotive and Marine off of N. Kiowa a month ago, there was an air boat in one of their service bays.

I'll go over there on monday and see if it's still around.

RD

buck35

Reaction score
Has anyone considered towing an sup or kayak to use in the reeds and shallows, it would allow you to move about without murking the water.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

From the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Havasu National Wildlife Refuge:

"Air-thrust Boats
The refuge prohibits the use of all air-thrust boats or air-cooled propulsion engines, including floating aircraft."

Dan'l

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Has anyone considered towing an sup or kayak to use in the reeds and shallows, it would allow you to move about without murking the water.

AMA kayak or SUP would be a great way to search some of the areas. Unfortunately I don’t have either. I know some members have them, if they’d like to come out and look on the next go round it would be appreciated. I’d rather not borrow SUP’s because I can barely ride one as it is, let alone paddle into reeds etc.

941Punk

some beach, somewhere.
Reaction score
I have 5, wish I was closer. Would love to help out.

JayBreww

Reaction score
I have 2 SUPs that I would like to bring out next time and help out. Usually leave them out in my storage unit but brought them back home for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

King295

Well-Known Inmate #20225
Reaction score
AMA kayak or SUP would be a great way to search some of the areas. Unfortunately I don’t have either. I know some members have them, if they’d like to come out and look on the next go round it would be appreciated. I’d rather not borrow SUP’s because I can barely ride one as it is, let alone paddle into reeds etc.

I have two SUPs that I can bring up to Havasu from the Parker area depending on the next search date(s).

Rbcconst

Reaction score
What’s SUP? Stand up paddle board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

River Runnin

Reaction score
Boy this sure went quite. Not much word from Dave after Yesterdays search. Did they find something? Is there more area to cover still ? An update would be nice.

We covered a LOT of area!... We didn't find anything yesterday... The volunteers on the jet skis were nothing shy of amazing! -- Going into areas, (backwaters) that outside an airboat, (even getting stuck, including me) you just wouldn't want to. -- And a big shout out to --Mr. The Back Crack -- for keeping the ski's and boat operating by diving in and unplugging the pumps on several occasions!

18 man hours er so times 8-9 searchers four skis and a boat was a hard (and mental) 2 day effort! ... There is PLENTY of area cover, and with so many
variables, unless your right there! -You just have NO IDEA!!.... (And Personally!! -- Posting what-if's, try this, or look there because of this or that! -- THERE'S REALLY NO NEED! IMHO!) --

The search we did involved: the shoreline reeds, the ski's had makeshift pvc
poles, (RD made) to reach-in, separate the reeds, and retrieve anything that might have ... been a clue...picked up some trash, (dog bed, cooler, cap) Drifted the shoreline, current hotspots, eddies, with what we had! ... eyeballs, poles, manpower, and structure scan sonar.

Search Team 01.jpg
Search Team 02.jpg

Search Team 03.jpg

Shore searches in a few places

Search Team 04.jpg

I was surprised at the amount of traffic, Water was murky, flow was slow, and water low.

Thanks for giving me a call Dave, and I was able to help out with!....What did you call it??.. Oh! Ya! Your Ugly Boat! ;) :D

I like fish'n and go'n for boat rides! ... We made the Dam run, (Davis) about 12 years ago, but must go to Pirates (never been), and Topock at least a couple more times this winter... and maybe a couple places upriver, I might have marked for bank fishing.

But either way! ... I'll be back up during the winter --Organized or not! ... I know more about this upper river than thought I ever would,
and with that!... I'll put it to use & action.

Ps. I'm pretty sure someone's posted update by now... I been out to the boat for a break and clean-up --rock' & roll'n the entire time!--Ain't got my land legs back yet!

ChasingPaper

Reaction score
We covered a LOT of area!... We didn't find anything yesterday... The volunteers on the jet skis were nothing shy of amazing! -- Going into areas, (backwaters) that outside an airboat, (even getting stuck, including me) you just wouldn't want to. -- And a big shout out to --Mr. The Back Crack -- for keeping the ski's and boat operating by diving in and unplugging the pumps on several occasions!

18 man hours er so times 8-9 searchers four skis and a boat was a hard (and mental) 2 day effort! ... There is PLENTY of area cover, and with so many
variables, unless your right there! -You just have NO IDEA!!.... (And Personally!! -- Posting what-if's, try this, or look there because of this or that! -- THERE'S REALLY NO NEED! IMHO!) --

The search we did involved: the shoreline reeds, the ski's had makeshift pvc
poles, (RD made) to reach-in, separate the reeds, and retrieve anything that might have ... been a clue...picked up some trash, (dog bed, cooler, cap) Drifted the shoreline, current hotspots, eddies, with what we had! ... eyeballs, poles, manpower, and structure scan sonar.

View attachment 695972 View attachment 695973

View attachment 695974

Shore searches in a few places

View attachment 695975

I was surprised at the amount of traffic, Water was murky, flow was slow, and water low.

Thanks for giving me a call Dave, and I was able to help out with!....What did you call it??.. Oh! Ya! Your Ugly Boat! ;) :D

I like fish'n and go'n for boat rides! ... We made the Dam run, (Davis) about 12 years ago, but must go to Pirates (never been), and Topock at least a couple more times this winter... and maybe a couple places upriver, I might have marked for bank fishing.

But either way! ... I'll be back up during the winter --Organized or not! ... I know more about this upper river than thought I ever would,
and with that!... I'll put it to use & action.

Ps. I'm pretty sure someone's posted update by now... I been out to the boat for a break and clean-up --rock' & roll'n the entire time!--Ain't got my land legs back yet!

This last part- I’m glad you felt that as well! Last night I was still rocking like I had been on a cruise ship or something! Had a great time getting to know everyone while searching. I’m looking forward to coming out again when we are ready for another search. BTW- you’re one hell of a boat captain!

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
First off, my hat's off to Dave. For the most part, this world is full of people saying, "Somebody should...". Dave took it upon himself to mount an expedition that is a daunting task. Somebody did something... I'll be the first to admit it, I lack the "testicular fortitude" to charge into a project like this headlong. That being the case, sometimes that is all that is needed to spur some of us to action.

I met some very cool RDPeeps yesterday. I wish it could have been on better terms though. I can't say we had great time...no matter how you look at it, the purpose sucks. As Dave said, yes, there were some times that would at least make you laugh a bit. In my case it was either a big fish or a beaver, jetting away from me in the reeds. The reeds parted like the cartoons...scared the living crap out of me! Do the quick check and make sure no one saw, and try not to be so tense the next time.

Some things I learned yesterday: After 20+ years on this river, I don't know squat. Lots of people lose sandles. Some people are pigs...And the shores and reeds look very different at 1-2 miles an hour.

jeepdog

Lucky jeepdog
Reaction score
Hats off to all that was involved, RD took this mission and all of us did the best we could. It is really hard to explain the emotions that go threw your head. You're excited but sad, the bottom line is closure. I feel our effort was worth it and hopefully the lead will prevail. Captain Bob (river runnin) was awesome, as well of all the riders, two days on the water is very tedious under these conditions. Run time on the one ski was 13.5 hours, roughly 54 hours plus Mr. TCHB had his personal ski as well. Thanks to all, Rob

JDub24

American Bad-Ass!!
Reaction score
Great work guys. Dave, please give us a heads up when you are going out again. Even though I haven’t been to the river/lake in years, I grew up going every weekend in th summer as a kid until my late teens. I would like to donate my time and effort to try and help as I am sure other would as well. I have other friends that are regulars during the season that would help as well.

What a terrible tragedy for anyone to experience. Hopefully you/we can help bring to an end.

I’ll get together with Jeep dog and plan a second run for one area I want to hit again, and the lower river.

View attachment 696115 View attachment 696116 View attachment 696117

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I have a couple kayaks that I can get to Havasu with enough heads up.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I called Sgt Cox last night to get the update on what it is we found. It was plant based and definitely not human.

In the meantime while they were awaiting the results the police searched that entire area thoroughly and the reeds just below it, which was going to be my next spot.

At this point we have two options. Bring the jet skis and the whole crew out again and do it, or I can trouble Bob some more and we can go run the drone and his boat for awhile searching aerial.

The water levels are cooling off and they are dropping as we go into winter, so more shore line will be exposed, that might reveal something.

ChasingPaper

Reaction score
So I called Sgt Cox last night to get the update on what it is we found. It was plant based and definitely not human.

In the meantime while they were awaiting the results the police searched that entire area thoroughly and the reeds just below it, which was going to be my next spot.

At this point we have two options. Bring the jet skis and the whole crew out again and do it, or I can trouble Bob some more and we can go run the drone and his boat for awhile searching aerial.

The water levels are cooling off and they are dropping as we go into winter, so more shore line will be exposed, that might reveal something.

I was worried about that. Let me know when you decide and run out again I’m happy to help if I can.

Rbcconst

Reaction score

Happy to help if you go out again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TLAW719

Reaction score
If you do another search soon I am in to help.

Springfield

Reaction score
Do you have any upcoming dates firmed up you can share with us?

River Runnin

Reaction score
Been thinking about this quite a bit lately and planning another trip er two.
Starting above Pirates and really putting a good scan down the middle... Run'n the current/channel slow (10 to 15 mph under power up of course, drifting back certain areas, (Zig-Zag'n others) but still concentrating the middle/Channel -- it might take 3 or 4 runs (maybe looking 20-40 foot out each side) -- But whatever the best structure/Zoom/Resolution view I can set-up while stay'n 20/30 foot from the bank&reeds is what I'm aim'n for.

I (we) Have a few appointments this month, need to look at weather, and always there's an unexpected! ... But heading up soon!

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Not sure of the logistics of this... But what are the possibilities of getting a group to hike/walk the shorline south the the topock entrance, cali and AZ side. I know that is extremly labor intensive, but my question is more along the line of is it even possible? There is the section belonging to the Gas Company, but what are the known restrictions south of that?

DLC

Reaction score
If you need any cash for fuel, drinks, ice or what ever is needed, please post up! I’d like to help out but don’t have the time during the week.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Dave, you and the people volunteering with you have all of my respect and admiration.

I hold out strong hope that the efforts to bring the family some measure of peace will succeed.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not sure of the logistics of this... But what are the possibilities of getting a group to hike/walk the shorline south the the topock entrance, cali and AZ side. I know that is extremly labor intensive, but my question is more along the line of is it even possible? There is the section belonging to the Gas Company, but what are the known restrictions south of that?
The Gas Company has some fencing around the bases of the pipeline spans, and they also have cameras (wonder if any "debris" footage?) There is a fair amount of beach/ mud for the first 1/2 mile of so. It would be a gnarly task, I think of 'Nam era clips of soldiers in rice paddies. It would be very effective. If this girl was near the shoreline, I think she would be found by this method. In field and forest recoveries, walls of observers walk about 6ft apart, scanning left to right. Nothing is missed. I think doing sections, perhaps 100ft? Marking start point, searching 100ft upstream, then floating 200ft, marking and repeat. This would have the current helping for clarity. Requires raft or something, but may help.
Yes, very labor intensive and time consuming, but very effective. The normal means have yet to yield results.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
The Gas Company has some fencing around the bases of the pipeline spans, and they also have cameras (wonder if any "debris" footage?) There is a fair amount of beach/ mud for the first 1/2 mile of so. It would be a gnarly task, I think of 'Nam era clips of soldiers in rice paddies. It would be very effective. If this girl was near the shoreline, I think she would be found by this method. In field and forest recoveries, walls of observers walk about 6ft apart, scanning left to right. Nothing is missed. I think doing sections, perhaps 100ft? Marking start point, searching 100ft upstream, then floating 200ft, marking and repeat. This would have the current helping for clarity. Requires raft or something, but may help.
Yes, very labor intensive and time consuming, but very effective. The normal means have yet to yield results.

I'm thinking more along the lines of on actual hard surface. After what we saw out there, I'd say the majority of those reeds along the shore are A LOT deeper than most would think, and waking through them would simply result in us sinking and losing anything on our feet.

Given what has been done by the professionals, I'd handle a secondary reed search via drones... a whole fleet of them if possible.

I'm thinking more along the lines of hiking over hard land out of the water in a similar fashion to what you described. A line of us spaced about 10 feet apart, walking and scanning the ground for anything of substance. It would be difficult, time consuming, and there is no way of handling the whole thing in a day or two, but why not give it a try. We would only have to cover the areas that actually have water access that is not a cliff.

Like stated above, I'm down to help again by whatever means we can come up with.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I'm thinking more along the lines of on actual hard surface. After what we saw out there, I'd say the majority of those reeds along the shore are A LOT deeper than most would think, and waking through them would simply result in us sinking and losing anything on our feet.

Given what has been done by the professionals, I'd handle a secondary reed search via drones... a whole fleet of them if possible.

I'm thinking more along the lines of hiking over hard land out of the water in a similar fashion to what you described. A line of us spaced about 10 feet apart, walking and scanning the ground for anything of substance. It would be difficult, time consuming, and there is no way of handling the whole thing in a day or two, but why not give it a try. We would only have to cover the areas that actually have water access that is not a cliff.

Like stated above, I'm down to help again by whatever means we can come up with.
Ok, got it. It would be interesting, would almost need to ferry from "port to port". One could also glass the shoreline. As for swamping, I was figuring hip weightors

rrrr

Reaction score
Wading through the soft ground and reeds would be exhausting.

FUN4ME

Reaction score
I follow this every time it comes up, always hoping for some sort of closure for the family.

Thank you all for your help.

How for a suggestion, is there any way to mount a camera boon to the top of the boat that has the sonar on it? I f the boat is that close to the reeds traveling slowly, someone could watch a monitor.

just a thought
and a link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3m-10ft-Vi...23a96d183b:g:OGgAAOSwTapV5ufb&redirect=mobile

thanks for all you do
Erich

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't know how the sonar stuff works, but if there was ever a boat on the river capable of doing that, it's River Runnin's. It may be an odd duck, but better suited than most the LEO stuff I've seen. T&Y may be on to something though. I understand choppers were in the air, looking for signs of anything. The water is down now, changing the dynamic a bit. It would deffinately be a different view now. The other thing I thought of was the difficulties in flying "map of the earth" in the gorge area. I assume speeds are faster than a few miles per hour, and a pilot would have his hands full. An army of drones would be handy, but I don't have any of those connections. Trying to make contact with a guy who does some sort of arial immaging for farmers. Supposedly the tech is really good, and images are clear. If I find anything promising in that direction I'll post.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Honestly I like the idea of walking the shoreline.. Now that the water is down I also like the idea of just combing the shorelines again in the boat. For myself personally I'm going to be playing a lot of catch up with work this week, but I'd be down to go again next week.

RD

River Runnin

Reaction score
Honestly I like the idea of walking the shoreline.. Now that the water is down I also like the idea of just combing the shorelines again in the boat. For myself personally I'm going to be playing a lot of catch up with work this week, but I'd be down to go again next week.

RD

Same here! ...Every day the rest of this week thru the 13th next Then thought the weekend but, pretty sure that'll be crazy. The 14th, 15,19, 20, then 26 thru 30 might be able to get a couple three days look in.

HCP3

Reaction score
Update on go fund me. Not much there, but graciousness. The post may have missed "Dan" for "Dave".

http://gf.me/u/ngrhxa

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Update on go fund me. Not much there, but graciousness. The post may have missed "Dan" for "Dave".

http://gf.me/u/ngrhxa

Well we didn't do it for any kind of recognition so it doesn't matter to me. Like someone else said at least the family knows that people are thinking about them, and people are still working towards closure.

When the wind dies down next week I'm gonna hit Bob up and we will go out again.

RD