WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Fuck, fuck, fuck, FUCK!!!

hallett21

Reaction score
If they would stop putting ridiculous levels of unneeded tech crap in these vehicles we would be better off. I don't want Achmed Allah Jabbar to be able to command a fleet of Tesla's to run over pedestrians. Shit - i get irritated not having a simple knob to twist to turn on MAX AC when i jump in. Does anyone really enjoy screwing with 6 climate control buttoms, then clicking ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ till they hit 60 just to cool the damn car off?

upload1540397756.220002.jpg

You can still buy trucks without all the foo foo [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spectras only

Reaction score
If they would stop putting ridiculous levels of unneeded tech crap in these vehicles we would be better off. I don't want Achmed Allah Jabbar to be able to command a fleet of Tesla's to run over pedestrians. Shit - i get irritated not having a simple knob to twist to turn on MAX AC when i jump in. Does anyone really enjoy screwing with 6 climate control buttoms, then clicking ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ till they hit 60 just to cool the damn car off?
As Jay Leno said, the good ol' days, there were only three settings for climate control, OFF, HEAT & COLD
adjusted by a slider.:)
Everything worked perfect still when I sold my 64 Lincoln;)
Simple and effective controls.
Lincoln%2064%20instrument%20cluster.jpg

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
Yeah those lockdowns are/were nowhere near what true certificate encryption is, it works the same way that protects end to end communications on the internet so that no one can get your CC# when you enter it on Amazon. It has never been broken, and it is used wayyyyy more widely and has much more of a demand to be broken than just for car computers, and there are several encryption standards as good or better that could be implemented as well if they really wanted to.

In all fairness, most earlier forms of this type of encryption are easily compromised with modern processing power. RC4, DES, SHA-1 ciphers are currently fairly easy targets by anyone. Over the last couple of years we've been moving away from SHA-1 and moving to the more modern SHA-2 cipher suite (sha-256, sha-384, sha-512). Combining these ciphers with a DH key has also complicated the cracking, and is now common practice. Its really just a game of keeping ahead of the Jones's.

With that thought in mind, its just a matter of time before the technology used in today's "advanced and uncrackable" ecu's are able to be cracked on tomorrows smart phones.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
In all fairness, most earlier forms of this type of encryption are easily compromised with modern processing power. RC4, DES, SHA-1 ciphers are currently fairly easy targets by anyone. Over the last couple of years we've been moving away from SHA-1 and moving to the more modern SHA-2 cipher suite (sha-256, sha-384, sha-512). Combining these ciphers with a DH key has also complicated the cracking, and is now common practice. Its really just a game of keeping ahead of the Jones's.

With that thought in mind, its just a matter of time before the technology used in today's "advanced and uncrackable" ecu's are able to be cracked on tomorrows smart phones.

Yeah but by the time they had the processing power to crack it, it would be 15-20 years from now, and would be worthless at that point. As nobody cares about breaking into the computer of 15 year old truck

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like the Napster/Frost wire scenario doesn't it?

When a primus driver drives like a douche in the fast lane, I strategically place myself in front of them and dump black smoke all over them.

They generally change lanes after that, usually give me the finger too

.....And that is exactly why we have such a clamp down on diesels. [emoji6]

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
.....And that is exactly why we have such a clamp down on diesels. [emoji6]

Impeding traffic laws have been around way longer than diesel emissions. Call it citizen enforcement since the cops won't ;)

Also benefits of my TS Chip. Go straight from econo tune, to coal stack, back to econo in a matter of seconds

Hullbilly

Reaction score
Impeding traffic laws have been around way longer than diesel emissions. Call it citizen enforcement since the cops won't ;)

Also benefits of my TS Chip. Go straight from econo tune, to coal stack, back to econo in a matter of seconds

Smoke switch...Thanks VGT! :D

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I believe PPEI has tuning now for the L5P which was supposed to be almost impossible to crack.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
H&S got spanked by the EPA as well as Edge, SCT, BullyDog and Banks doesn’t sell any delete tuning either anymore. I’ve got EFILive and my tuner is in Canada so no issue there.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
I didn’t open this thread until now...figured it was another Dodger thread.

Lol

Yellowboat

Reaction score
The sad reality is no one has really figured out how to make a diesel meet the regulations and still be reliable and fuel-efficient. I'm guessing just like cars back in the seventies and eighties it's going to take between 10 and 15 years. Once they figure it out they should kick ass again.

PS I love my 7.3 L

JRider

Reaction score
The fine is only 300k but the agreement is that the owners of bully dog are also spending millions to retroact current tuners and reconfigure the whole company to smog legal tuners and "reeducate" the public as well as making sure people don't use their product with physical deletion systems. Might as well be a death sentence

Yeah those lockdowns are/were nowhere near what true certificate encryption is, it works the same way that protects end to end communications on the internet so that no one can get your CC# when you enter it on Amazon. It has never been broken, and it is used wayyyyy more widely and has much more of a demand to be broken than just for car computers, and there are several encryption standards as good or better that could be implemented as well if they really wanted to.

GM/Dodge/Ford, they all have a level of underlying marketing that is good for business to let people make these products for the vehicles, as it's a selling point, they can claim plausible deniability because they made an 'effort' to secure the box. Considering how big the performance tuning market has gotten If Ford and GM do a full lockdown, pretty soon you have buyers flock to dodge even if they weren't brand loyal to them, just because they can be tuned.

Like i said, if it gets that bad there will be a demand for stand alones that you just switch out, the problem is they aren't $500 like an SCT tuner where you are paying for maybe $40 or hardware and $450 of software, they are several thousand because complex hardware has to be developed and manufactured in addition to complex software, not just adjusting variables that already work with existing software and hardware.

Might be hard to go with stand alone system as the ECMs need to talk to the BCMs. I work for GM as a robotics programmer, and as loyal as I am, I am currently pricing out Rams due to the ease of lifting and programming.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Might be hard to go with stand alone system as the ECMs need to talk to the BCMs. I work for GM as a robotics programmer, and as loyal as I am, I am currently pricing out Rams due to the ease of lifting and programming.

Yep, you would need substantial developer/programming skills and a platform like MoTeC's M1 where you can write your own firmware from the ground up for the box. It would be a massive undertaking for a small market and substantial costs per unit that make it unappealing to the average buyer.

Duck'ed_Up

Reaction score
Yep, even more reason to keep my deleted LMM with ATP's autocal.

That’s what my set up is Robs tunes have been great! My LMM has been deleted since almost new and Hasn’t had a problem. I also still have an edge race cs that I just use for the screen. Edge tried to buy my cs years ago when they got pinched... told them to pound sand!

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
So who would have the goto system for an 03 49 states dodge diesel?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

h2o225

Reaction score
Everyone laughed at banks when they worked with California to produce a smog legal tuner. A bunch of friends and my son told me to remove it an go sct or bully dog. Funny their tunes have not worked correctly for the last year after they did updates. I will keep my banks system.

Last edited:

JD D05

Reaction score
Everyone laughed at banks when they worked with California to produce a smog legal tuner. A bunch of friends and my son told me to remove it an go sct or bully dog. Funny there tunes have not worked correctly for the last year after they did updates. I will keep my banks system.

Lots of people have emissions on tuning.